Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
I have finally reached the end of my rope EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

I have finally reached the end of my rope

+6
08pacollegegrad
Jobless_in_Ma
legalwoman
Kathy
Injeun
americatheneedy
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I have finally reached the end of my rope Empty I have finally reached the end of my rope

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:05 pm

I have been laid off for almost 2 years, I have sent my resume to everything and anything that is hiring.

I have applied to Navel Civilian jobs to get no where.

These companies are NOT hiring, I have seen jobs posted for the past 6 months, the same jobs.

I have been beaten down....ALL I can say is "I've Tried my damdest to find a job"

There are days I just want to walk in front of a semi and call it a day.

Back to top Go down

I have finally reached the end of my rope Empty Re: I have finally reached the end of my rope

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:15 pm

YB500, I understand how you feel. This month will make one year since I became a "99er". Three years of unemployment, thousands of resumes and a handful of interviews have yielded nothing except rejection letters.

We can't lose hope. There are several stories here of people who have been out of work just as long, or longer, who have found a job and returned back to the world of the working. Each story someone shares about finding a job after long term unemployment is encouragement that the same thing will happen for us very soon.

Until that happens, we have to push Congress to get HR 589 to the floor. We won't be ignored anymore.

We all have our down days as we struggle through this hell of unemployment, but I do believe that things will turn around. You have come to the right place for support. We care.

Please don't give up, be good to yourself today and try to stay positive. We are all in this together, you are not alone.

Back to top Go down

I have finally reached the end of my rope Empty Re: I have finally reached the end of my rope

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:23 pm

I have lost all hope and it has been like that for some time. It is killing me that I have not been working.

then to compound things; they say the unemployment rate went down, yeah it did B/C people losing the unemployment so those people come off the system, OF COURSE THE UE RATE WENT DOWN....

Then the goverment sending money to other countries like libya and japan... HOW ABOUT THIS COUNTRIES PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This country doesn't give a S*it about it's own citizens....!!!!!! it makes me sick....

I am so sick and tired of everything....

DesperateInRI wrote:YB500, I understand how you feel. This month will make one year since I became a "99er". Three years of unemployment, thousands of resumes and a handful of interviews have yielded nothing except rejection letters.

We can't lose hope. There are several stories here of people who have been out of work just as long, or longer, who have found a job and returned back to the world of the working. Each story someone shares about finding a job after long term unemployment is encouragement that the same thing will happen for us very soon.

Until that happens, we have to push Congress to get HR 589 to the floor. We won't be ignored anymore.

We all have our down days as we struggle through this hell of unemployment, but I do believe that things will turn around. You have come to the right place for support. We care.

Please don't give up, be good to yourself today and try to stay positive. We are all in this together, you are not alone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:28 pm

YB, like Desperate, I will celebrate my first anniversary as a 99er. And like you, we have applied everywhere, mostly without an acknowledgement, much less an interview. There are days I stay in my jammies and socks and basically hide here at the computer. This site has kept many of us going and given us a cirle of friends and family who truly understand the way only those going through this can understand.

Please join us in advocating, emailing, faxing and calling. It really will make you feel better. Please join in our forums and vent, tell us your story, share a recipe and just "talk". It will help to lighten the load. We are all here and we are all in this together and most importantly, we are all here for each other. Many a day, at my lowest, I logged on and someone made me laugh or listened or understood. My day changed immediately. At the end of most days, I still have not job, but I have a sense of family, friends and accomplishment because I didn't sit by and do nothing. Hopefully, you will stay with us and receive these benefits as well.

Most of all, don't give up. You have come this far and should be proud that you have the inner strength to keep on. That takes a strong person.

We are all here, anytime. Please stay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:39 pm

MaryKay, Thank You.

I am a fighter but I have been beaten down so bad.

My own mother didn't even call me for my birthday nor has she even lifted a finger to call to see how I am, nada...

I am so sick of sending resumes out REALLY REALLY SICK OF IT... i HAVE BEEN DOING IT EVERY DAY FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS.

Ok this is not bragging just a fact: I hold bachelors degrees, have been in my field for almost 20 years, have 12 letters of recommdations; I don't suck at what I do but yet cannot find a stinking job....

I am so sick of life.... there is more than this life....

it's just redicules that the unemployed are being treated like 9th rate citizens.... the best one is in florida: they are REDUCING UE time from 6 months to 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How screwed is that...??????????

This world is sick....

MaryKay wrote:YB, like Desperate, I will celebrate my first anniversary as a 99er. And like you, we have applied everywhere, mostly without an acknowledgement, much less an interview. There are days I stay in my jammies and socks and basically hide here at the computer. This site has kept many of us going and given us a cirle of friends and family who truly understand the way only those going through this can understand.

Please join us in advocating, emailing, faxing and calling. It really will make you feel better. Please join in our forums and vent, tell us your story, share a recipe and just "talk". It will help to lighten the load. We are all here and we are all in this together and most importantly, we are all here for each other. Many a day, at my lowest, I logged on and someone made me laugh or listened or understood. My day changed immediately. At the end of most days, I still have not job, but I have a sense of family, friends and accomplishment because I didn't sit by and do nothing. Hopefully, you will stay with us and receive these benefits as well.

Most of all, don't give up. You have come this far and should be proud that you have the inner strength to keep on. That takes a strong person.

We are all here, anytime. Please stay.

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Fair weather family. I know all about them. I've helped family with free housing (and just about everything else) after divorces, injuries, you name it. I get out of a job and my own mother tells me to quit calling her!!! This is sudden change from a perfectly what I thought was close relationship. Just remember God doesn't care about your paycheck
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by Injeun Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi YB500. Several months a 99er here. Like you I have a ton of experience in my field and good work history but couldn't find work. Then a couple of months ago I lucked into a part time job. That and food stamps and having moved in with my fiancee is keeping me/us afloat. Don't give up. Keep trying. Take small pleasures where you can find them. Be thankfull for everything you do have, however insignificant. But keep an eye out for work...till something comes. I know these words are cheap and don't provide a roof or food or anything....but like someone else said, look how far you've come. You have too much vested in your life to say it's cheap. It's not cheap. It's priceless.
Injeun
Injeun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:24 pm

It is priceless. And like Injeun, we all have family and friends who are the "get a job" type. What makes that hurt less, is that even with the loss of my home, turned back the car, no income, food stamps, Medicaid and all I am usually the one who will be there if a family crisis hits. That's okay. I have learned from all on this forum, that without the benefit of ever seeing one another, we are family in the true sense. We're here for each other and we really cannot do anything but observe, listen, offer a shoulder or a joke when needed. It gets to all of us, but we are lucky. Many people who have friends they can reach out and touch, will never have this closeness. I have learned to admit defeat, which isn't easy, to not be embarrassed about my situation, I know my work ethic and the work ethic of most of us, and I know what an asset we would all be to any company, if they don't see it, their losses. When this turns around, and it will, the stars will be those of us who made it through. We're loyal, tireless, workhorses who won't be beaten. We have the strength of character it takes to survive this crisis. We're talented, funny, loving, cranky and true. We are some of the truest people on earth. We have no airs, we know what's important, we are not out to be individual superstars, we are comfortable in our own skin, because we truly know right from wrong. You will as we all do, have your bad days and your good days, and the negativity from family and so called friends will continue to hurt all of us, but that's good, because when it stops hurting, it means we no longer care. I know, I sound like Pollyanna, but truly, I have posted many times, I could not be prouder to know all of you, I think we really are amazing in what we do and what we accomplish, but most of all because of the character make-up we all possess. Each of us has become "better" for this experience, it's taught us. So many people think they have nothing left to learn. We know differently. Having gone through this for 3 years, we will never become the family member who turns away from others and always makes remarks. We've become far more enlightened on the legislative process, the hiring process, the economy and how to make something from nothing. Most importantly, together we are surviving. It's a very hard lesson to learn that family and country can cast you aside so casually and I am sickened everytime I hear of someone else going through it, but I urge you to stay with us, get to know more of your friends here and never think your life is anything but priceless as injeun said. And injeun, sorry for what you have been through as well, and how lovely of you to reach out. I think that's a lesson we have all learned, how to reach out to others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:40 pm

I know how you feel. I never thought I would be unemployed this long on ever have to go on food stamps!
Just know that this is the place to come to when you are feeling down. It has been a long time but I really do feel that Congress will FINALLY do something to help us soon. I think they will have to because soon there will be nobody left working!
I know this sounds really lame but hang in there. We all have to stick together and somehow get through this!
Kathy
Kathy

Back to top Go down

Post by legalwoman Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:10 pm

I hear you. I became a 99er in mid January. My family is supportive but unable to help me financially. I have not yet applied for Medicaid or Food Stamps but I am quickly headed in that direction. No one wants to hire an unemployed lawyer who is overqualified for everything except lawyer work. I have applied for every lawyer job I was remotely qualified for with no luck. I apply at retail stores and restaurants but get no response from any of them. I am substitute teaching but can't make enough money to live. My situation is dire with no hope in sight. But I keep on going from day to day. That is all I can do.

legalwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by legalwoman Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:12 pm

BTW I am the same legalwoman that has been on this forum for over a year but for some reason I had to re-register to get on.

legalwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:26 pm

legalwoman wrote:BTW I am the same legalwoman that has been on this forum for over a year but for some reason I had to re-register to get on.

HI and welcome.

The reason is the original site was shut down unexpectedly, and a few of us old timers restarted it back up.
Its not under same administration.

Welcome to the New Unemployed friends 2.0
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by legalwoman Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:
legalwoman wrote:BTW I am the same legalwoman that has been on this forum for over a year but for some reason I had to re-register to get on.

HI and welcome.

The reason is the original site was shut down unexpectedly, and a few of us old timers restarted it back up.
Its not under same administration.

Welcome to the New Unemployed friends 2.0

I didn't know, I hadn't been here for a while. I am glad the site was restored.

legalwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

I just cannot handle this continuing sending out resumes and getting no where.

As everyone knows is VERY frustrating.

and to compound it I have OVER 500.00 a month child support.

it feels like I have no future.... I used to look forward to the future now I remember the past, those were better day's....

like I said in my first post there are day's I just want to walk in front of a semi at least then I would not have this ongoing day in day out stress.

it is more stressful being on unemployment then it is at work. I was more relaxed at work X's by like 1000....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:01 pm

I thought it would be better for you, since you are a lawyer, getting hired at a firm.

So even lawyers are having a rough time in this economy?

I wish we all can find GOOD jobs but this economy sucks... to put it plainly....

legalwoman wrote:I hear you. I became a 99er in mid January. My family is supportive but unable to help me financially. I have not yet applied for Medicaid or Food Stamps but I am quickly headed in that direction. No one wants to hire an unemployed lawyer who is overqualified for everything except lawyer work. I have applied for every lawyer job I was remotely qualified for with no luck. I apply at retail stores and restaurants but get no response from any of them. I am substitute teaching but can't make enough money to live. My situation is dire with no hope in sight. But I keep on going from day to day. That is all I can do.

Back to top Go down

Post by legalwoman Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:15 pm

YB500 wrote:I thought it would be better for you, since you are a lawyer, getting hired at a firm.

So even lawyers are having a rough time in this economy?

I wish we all can find GOOD jobs but this economy sucks... to put it plainly....

legalwoman wrote:I hear you. I became a 99er in mid January. My family is supportive but unable to help me financially. I have not yet applied for Medicaid or Food Stamps but I am quickly headed in that direction. No one wants to hire an unemployed lawyer who is overqualified for everything except lawyer work. I have applied for every lawyer job I was remotely qualified for with no luck. I apply at retail stores and restaurants but get no response from any of them. I am substitute teaching but can't make enough money to live. My situation is dire with no hope in sight. But I keep on going from day to day. That is all I can do.

I have worked in the government sector my entire career. I am 51 years old. No firm will hire me unless I have an existing client base to bring to the firm.

legalwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by 08pacollegegrad Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:49 pm

I am starting to get frustrated too. I am starting to get scared for about 5-6 months from now, when I will have been on unemployment for two years.

All throughout college, and even somewhat afterwards, I was told that I was smart, worked hard and that employers were lucky to have me. Now that is far from the case. I feel so unwanted.

I had FOUR interviews at a restaurant last week for a hostess job. The last manager to interview me told me he would call me on Monday. That was yesterday, and you guessed it, no call back.

I am tired of hearing "we'll call you". YEAH RIGHT. Everyone says that, but no one ever does it.

I am considering dumbing myself down to get a job. When I go in to places for jobs that don't require college, I'm not going to say I went to college. Maybe I also need to start speaking like a ditzy bimbo or not crack a smile and talk like I'm totally disinterested in the person in front of me. Those are the people getting jobs where I live, I swear.

I read an article on CNBC last week that said a lot of employers are still holding out for the perfect candidates. They will interview a candidate who is good, but not great/perfect, so the employer will continue looking. This causes the hiring process to drag on for months because the employers believe there is always someone better! Meanwhile, they might have missed out on a great employee because they refused to pick the first good person they saw.

I am starting to think outside the box and am looking at cruise ship jobs. Despite the fact that our economy is in the tank, people are still paying for cruises, and they always need staff. Maybe ships aren't fully booked, but they're still going strong, so the cruise industry HAS to be doing something right.

08pacollegegrad

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Who ever thought that we'd have to hide having a college degree like it's a felony??? OOOOHHH don't forget to pay those student loans!!! What a rip.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:54 pm

@08pacollegegrad...That is a great idea looking into a job on a cruise ship. My mom always wanted me to do that or be a flight attendant. She used to say she wanted me to see the world and those jobs pay pretty well. That was back when I was graduating high school. (many years ago lol)
Anyway, if you can it would definitely be an experience for you and you will make good money in the process.
Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by 08pacollegegrad Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:36 pm

americatheneedy wrote:Who ever thought that we'd have to hide having a college degree like it's a felony??? OOOOHHH don't forget to pay those student loans!!! What a rip.

I have student loans, and they are in deferment for the third or fourth time now I think. I tried applying for income based repayment, but get this: My lender told me that they couldn't lower my payment anymore. They wanted me to pay $280 something a month and didn't care that I was unemployed! What is the point in having income based repayment options if you're not even allowed to utilize it? But they will accept you deferring your loans and not paying anything. Go figure!

I hear ya on hiding your degree, though. It's like you should almost be ashamed to have one. What is college for, then, if you can't even show that you went and be proud of it?

08pacollegegrad

Back to top Go down

Post by HelpNow Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:10 am

YB500 wrote:I have been laid off for almost 2 years, I have sent my resume to everything and anything that is hiring.

I have applied to Navel Civilian jobs to get no where.

These companies are NOT hiring, I have seen jobs posted for the past 6 months, the same jobs.

I have been beaten down....ALL I can say is "I've Tried my damdest to find a job"

There are days I just want to walk in front of a semi and call it a day.

I know exactly how you feel
HelpNow
HelpNow

Back to top Go down

Post by keilowkei Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:40 am

Being unemployed covers such broad spectrum..All ages all races all education levels all genders...Frustrated???Its beyond frustrating..Then you look at some news article to see some bone head calling us lazy and we need to get off our butts and get a job...Man like we havent thought of that one wish they woulda told us that 2 years ago...Frickin genius..Because it's fun to get laid off through no fault of your own and its great to have to apply for unemployment when you are used to working for a living..Lets not forget the joy of not knowing how or when your bills will get paid or how you will feed your family..The best part of it might be apllying for welfare or going to food pantry's to make ends meet so you can eat...I think you have to be a resourceful strong person to have made it through as much as we have already..

keilowkei

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:33 pm

I am just so tired of hearing the companies are looking for the perfect person, there is no perfect person!

These companies are playing so many games it's not funny and it is disgusting.

Back to top Go down

Post by keilowkei Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:24 pm

These companies know that there are at least 5 people applying for ever job opening(It has to be more than that by now)..So they know they can pick and choose the people they hire..

keilowkei

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next