Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories!

+45
wornout
elvis44102
las44
broketrucker
TR11005
KeeptheFaith
exhaustedandtired/1208
zphtar
arbeitslos
IAMFedUp
TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Tomoko
mscpateach
anyoldname
lendmeflight2
462Tech
couth11
casheyes
c62ta68
New_Wave_Princess
hello
admin911
wartrace
LilMsMisses
suri
Jobless_in_Ma
troycomic
MissRi
irishmalou
503Depressed
Sunrise
laine25
JoanB
lizalphonso
nfpexec
Kulkulkan
unemployedandroid
chopthis91
Tiers for Fears
cousinsal
08pacollegegrad
MoInSTL
gettheminNOVEMBER
americatheneedy
Hunterforjobs
49 posters

Page 14 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 Empty This week Job Hunting

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Seemed to be a popular thread in the last UFF so I think we should continue it here.

Applied for three jobs this week including old company see vent, and have not heard from anyone of them.

Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 Empty Re: UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories!

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:53 pm

JoanB wrote:A goodball is a goofball who can't type. Smile

Oh sorry... just blame it on the keys. Bor example, I've been having a problem with my key too. I can't get the same key to work, myselb! Have bun! Laughing

Back to top Go down

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 14 Empty Re: UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories!

Post by nfpexec Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:59 pm

X wrote:nf, this is great news! Just curious, what do you mean "I will do everything I can before the interview to make them see the light"?

The position is about business strategy so I'm going to do some research on the organization and do a draft of a business proposal so they can see that I know who they are, what they want and that i have the experience to meet their goals. I want to present something more tangible than the usual interiew conversation. Then cross my fingers they are impressed.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:12 pm

How long do you have until the interview? Do you think you should write them a proposal as a doc that they would probably read later, or do you think you should do a PowerPoint so you could sell it while you're there? Or should you do both just in case?
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:19 pm

The interview is tuesday and I'm going to the library tomorrow to start the research. Powerpoint would be overkill. I also don't want to lay all my cards on the table at the first interview. I was told it would be 30 minutes so I will see where the interview goes before I present anything. I just feel I need to be proactive and take some control of my fate.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 pm

nfpexec wrote:
X wrote:nf, this is great news! Just curious, what do you mean "I will do everything I can before the interview to make them see the light"?

The position is about business strategy so I'm going to do some research on the organization and do a draft of a business proposal so they can see that I know who they are, what they want and that i have the experience to meet their goals. I want to present something more tangible than the usual interiew conversation. Then cross my fingers they are impressed.

Thanks nf. Now I understand. I hope you don't mind if I throw out a "caution". I think what you are preparing is very good, especially since it will vastly increase your knowledge of the company. But perhaps just be ready to hand them the presentation for reading afterwards. Otherwise they might feel that you've railroaded the interview.

But that's very creative... it's the timing and knowing how to proceed that's going to be a bit tricky. Hey, that's just my opinion. I've never been wrong in my life, of course (not). Very Happy

Best of luck... looking forward to hearing about how it went!

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Well, you have the best feel for what you need to do, but you know that we're all hoping the best for you!
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:18 am

nfpexec wrote:Well the silence has been deafening on the jobs front. I keep looking but after 3 years I am extremely pessimistic about anything happening. So I finally got a call for an interview. Since I am desperate and destitute I am trying not to read more into this than there is since I've been sorely disappointed before but I am hoping that the fact they called me 3 times while I was out is a good sign that they're really interested. I will do everything I can before the interview to make them see the light that even at 50 I am still worthy, can contribute and will be VERY grateful for the job.

Congrats and wish you the best of luck. I posted a congratulatory posting here earlier but I don't think i saved it LOL. Best of luck to you on Tuesday.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:01 am

Thanks 2 all and I wish you all success as well. These days just getting an interview is cause for celebration. It's so hard since this is a numbers game and the employers hold all the cards. All my old techniques have fallen flat so I have to figure out a way to stand out and become memorable. I read that a young lady wanted to work for Chipotle and she put up a website showing herselt eating their products, etc. Sounds crazy but desperate people have to do desperate things. One thing that I like about the upcoming interview is that I am meeting the supervisor not some hr drone.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:06 pm

That's good, nf--I hate it when you're getting the old HR screening, and you know that the person across the table/desk/phone line doesn't know squat about your area of expertise. Unless you're interviewing for an HR position, I guess. tongue

Do you ever fantasize about getting just one day to interview HR people--and think up really ____ed-up questions to ask them? I do. Twisted Evil
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:33 am

The fantasy that I entertain is winning the lottery buying the company and firing all the people who mistreated me!
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:07 pm

If you ever did, would you let me do (or at least help with) the exit interviews? Pleasepleasepleaseprettypleaseohpleasepleaseplease?

JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:39 pm

LOL JoanB when I read your posting it was the first belly laugh I've had in ages!!!!! Yesyesyesyes you are more than welcome to help as is ANYONE else who feels like they've been stepped on and want those wielding the power with a malevolent glove know what it feels like to get knocked down and kicked while enduring snotty rude insensitive remarks like "you're not trying hard enough, if you really wanted a job you would find one, unemployment benefits makes you lazy," etcetera etcetera...........

I hold a special place of contempt for those that receive resumes and delete them or send auto responses that the position was filled or drag you in for an interview just to humiliate you with inane questions while they sit there all smug........I'd relish the chance to switch sides of that table!
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:52 am

Me too! I am so tired of all of it.
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:18 pm

nfpexec wrote:Thanks 2 all and I wish you all success as well. These days just getting an interview is cause for celebration. It's so hard since this is a numbers game and the employers hold all the cards. All my old techniques have fallen flat so I have to figure out a way to stand out and become memorable. I read that a young lady wanted to work for Chipotle and she put up a website showing herselt eating their products, etc. Sounds crazy but desperate people have to do desperate things. One thing that I like about the upcoming interview is that I am meeting the supervisor not some hr drone.

Hi nf,

I bet this has been a long weekend, waiting for your interview on Tuesday. I may be out of communication tomorrow, so I just wanted to send you the very best wishes for you. Just be yourself!

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:45 am

X wrote:I bet this has been a long weekend, waiting for your interview on Tuesday. I may be out of communication tomorrow, so I just wanted to send you the very best wishes for you. Just be yourself!

Jeff

Actually Jeff I'm glad I had the weekend to digest this because my self esteem has taken a direct hit over & over during this 3 year lay-off. I'm naturally high strung so I appreciate the time to decompress and focus. Right now I'm ok but I know by this time tomorrow I will be feeling the stress. I'm trying not to obsess because I need this job so badly with $8000 dental work that desperately needs to get done. I'm afraid to get my hopes up because I can't take any more disappointments. But I do appreciate the kind words, they're so rare these days.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:17 am

Yes I agree. Don't walk into the interview pulling the last 3 years of struggle with you. Smile and keep upbeat. Have some substantial things that you've done with you time, because you'll be asked. There's all sort of things that can fill the gap and they don't have to be work related.

But please don't use the word unemployed if at all possible.

And don't let me shock you. I'm a pain because I care. Be relaxed and not on the defense because of an employment gap.

Go in and have some fun. Make some friends. I know this might seem to sound odd but that's what I do.

And again, best of luck. Can't wait to hear your take on how things went!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:51 am

Its Monday, another week of searching. I did send in one resume over the weekend. Lets see if I even get a call or email. LOL
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:47 pm

X wrote:Yes I agree. Don't walk into the interview pulling the last 3 years of struggle with you. Smile and keep upbeat. Have some substantial things that you've done with you time, because you'll be asked. There's all sort of things that can fill the gap and they don't have to be work related.

But please don't use the word unemployed if at all possible.

And don't let me shock you. I'm a pain because I care. Be relaxed and not on the defense because of an employment gap.

Go in and have some fun. Make some friends. I know this might seem to sound odd but that's what I do.

And again, best of luck. Can't wait to hear your take on how things went!

I don't consider you a pain and at all and I can use all the advice I can get these days. I'm not sure of anything anymore even my own name! I do realize that I have to bury all my anger & insecurities tomorrow. It will have to be an academy award performance.

This morning I got up & saw that the company called me last night, which I thought was strange since it was Sunday. So i called with my heart in my throat & turns out they wanted to know my salary requirements. I gave them the minimum of what I need. I'm not locked into any amount at this point but I was a bit unsettled when he said that's based on your current salary. I sheepishly said uh huh. I'll have to deal with that tomorrow because I don't indicate that I'm currently unemployed because these employers WONT consider us!!!
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Todays the day. Went to bed early (for me these days 1 Am not 4 Am) so I could get a good night's rest. Woke up 3 times this morning. I left the radio on and woke to soothing tones of Whiter Shade of Pale (I am of a certain age) so I listened to that and got up. I had a headache, stomach ache and chest pains. Stress is a killer, but now I've had a couple of donuts and grape juice and I'm trying to calm down.

There's just so much at stake and I have absolutely no control over any of it and that is unsettling. So we'll see what happens. I do know that for this position there would be more than one interview so I'm hoping to be impressive enough to get a call back.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Best of luck. There seems to be a slight uptick in interviews. I know of three folks with interviews today.
Hoping for some good news soon feom peeps!
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:30 pm

What a total waste of time!! You ever meet someone and you know its hate at first sight, ok dislike at first sight. I arrived 5 minutes early and the security guard says "oh you're here." He said they just called down to see if I was there. I try not to arrive too early because they're never ready. The admin asst comes down to meet me and says the VP is in a meeting. So why were they looking for me?????

I sit outside the office for 10 minutes and this woman emerges and I just got an immediate negative vibe, but I know I still have to do my best. Even though it was painfully obvious that she didn't want me. I tried to engage this woman, ask questions and she sat there stone faced through the whole thing. Not a smile or warmt or humanity!!

I asked what kind of schedule would be expected and she said "if there's late nights or weekends and I work then I expect my staff to work because that's the way it is." Finally I threw in the towel and started thinking I wanna get outta here so I can try to get on the subway at rush hour.

As I walked out of her office there was this Tom Cruise looking guy with his well pressed suit, lokoing youthful and like a new MBA grad. That was the final nail in the coffin. But it gets better!!!

I stopped at Whole Foods because I had a 50% off coupon, as I got into the subway station I checked my phone and there was an email saying that after considering my credentials I wouldn't be called for a second interview. That was the fastest rejection EVER! I was still in the neighborhood. Now tell me she didn't make up her mind immediately. Twisted Evil

It was a total farce. Best thing that came out of the day was the coupon and I got some food. Thing is, if I wasn't desperate that was not the kind of job I would have applied for and while that rejection came in record time (they must have emailed it while I was walking out the building) I don't feel that bad. It was much worse to miss out on a job that looked like I was going to get it. That's more disappointing than a job that was pretty clear I was not going to get for whatever reason.

Well tomorrow's another day. I have a phone interview for a job that sounds more like the kind I'd like to have. We'll see.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:14 pm

Well nf, I'm sorry to hear this but at least you've taken away some good from it. You sound a lot more grounded than a few days ago, you had a bad experience but are obviously very observant of the offering, and you've felt that moment that you'll feel again, when you will soon be going for that job you'll be in and be happy with.

At least it was a clear cut yes/no decision.

p.s. did you bring me any Whole Food stuff? Very Happy

Onward and upward!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:32 pm

Sorry, nf. I've had ones like that where I'm thinking "I don't like you and you don't like me, and we both know we don't like each other, so let's just move on." And then you do.

But things have to break for you soon...that one must have been for practice.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Good stuff, JoanB. I agree. nf this happened for a reason and that reason just might be the phone interview tomorrow. The cobwebs have been shook (at least mine would be) and you're just that much stronger.

Hoping that you have a great phone discussion tomorrow... Xeff Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:27 am

Thanks X and JoanB. Yeah I think I'm a bit shell shocked because I don't remember an interview going bad from the word hello.......

I'm sure this is going to hit me later tonight when I can't sleep or tomorrow, but I can't let it get into my head and psych me out because I have another interview to deal with. I was going to work on resumes but I think I've had enough of this miserable process for one day.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next