Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories!

+45
wornout
elvis44102
las44
broketrucker
TR11005
KeeptheFaith
exhaustedandtired/1208
zphtar
arbeitslos
IAMFedUp
TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Tomoko
mscpateach
anyoldname
lendmeflight2
462Tech
couth11
casheyes
c62ta68
New_Wave_Princess
hello
admin911
wartrace
LilMsMisses
suri
Jobless_in_Ma
troycomic
MissRi
irishmalou
503Depressed
Sunrise
laine25
JoanB
lizalphonso
nfpexec
Kulkulkan
unemployedandroid
chopthis91
Tiers for Fears
cousinsal
08pacollegegrad
MoInSTL
gettheminNOVEMBER
americatheneedy
Hunterforjobs
49 posters

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 Empty This week Job Hunting

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Seemed to be a popular thread in the last UFF so I think we should continue it here.

Applied for three jobs this week including old company see vent, and have not heard from anyone of them.

Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 Empty Re: UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories!

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Congrats Hunter, let us know how it goes. I would take it as well if offered.

Back to top Go down

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! - Page 8 Empty Re: UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories!

Post by nfpexec Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:38 am

Well I've sent out several emails tonight and I am too tired to continue, but I was wondering if anyone has seen postings requesting photos be submitted with resumes? I see no reason that a photo has to be submitted for a job in an office!
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:51 am

nfpexec wrote:Well I've sent out several emails tonight and I am too tired to continue, but I was wondering if anyone has seen postings requesting photos be submitted with resumes? I see no reason that a photo has to be submitted for a job in an office!

Yes I have and there is no reason for it. I ignore them.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:48 pm

MaryKay wrote:Congrats Hunter, let us know how it goes. I would take it as well if offered.

Well it went. The interviewer looked bored, I was 15 minutes early, was close so I walked there to clear my head and practice what I wanted to say. I felt brushed off even though I answered the questions positively at the end of the interview I was told she was the assistant manager--she wasn't a young Spring chicken which I was relieved--and she didn't know if the manager had hired someone already. Why don't they tell you on the phone. I guess I wasn't impressive enough. LOL.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:31 pm

I don't know what happened tomy earlier post, but don't let it get to you. I am encouraged for you that at least you got a call and an interview, I have not had one in months. It is very disorganized of them to call you in if they have no idea if the position is still open, however I have heard of human resources "collecting" resumes for future openings and pre interviewing. I doubt it was that you were unimpressive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:26 am

MaryKay wrote:I don't know what happened tomy earlier post, but don't let it get to you. I am encouraged for you that at least you got a call and an interview, I have not had one in months. It is very disorganized of them to call you in if they have no idea if the position is still open, however I have heard of human resources "collecting" resumes for future openings and pre interviewing. I doubt it was that you were unimpressive.

They called me twice for the interview one over the weekend and on Tuesday morning.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:51 am

Hang in there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks. I'm just keep searching hoping to find that break just like everyone else.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Well I had the first second interview in the last 2 1/2 yrs. Even as a native NYer I was so stressed I missed my subway stop by 5 stops. I panicked & actually got on the same wrong train. I got off at the first stop & rode back. When I reached the building I couldn't wait for elevator so I took the stairs & it was one of those floors you cant enter so i was locked in the stairwell. I had to call the interviewer to rescue me. As it turns out, their previous interview was running long so I had time to decompress.

While waiting the next interviewee arrived. She was young & I could sense her eagerness. She was well groomed per those "how to get a job" book and suddenly I felt old & shlumpy. When they called my name she looked amazed we were applying for the same job. I went in, relaxed now & proceeded to answer all their questions & had prepared several of my own the night before. I was even told at one point that I had a good question that they hadn't thought to address. I showed that I was knowledgable & experienced & every point they raised I was able to discuss because I had read about it previously. I even mentioned that one of the people affiliated with the organization had graduated one yr ahead of me in high school. They told me that they wanted people to go out to lunch & have a good quality of life at the job. I don't know if that was directed to me or it's the general speech for all candidates.

Basically I threw everything in my arsenal & then some. I sent a thank you letter around 3 AM today & gave a sample of the reseach we discussed in the interview. I'm desperate & hopeful & trying NOT to read too much into anything one way of the other. A friend who has been very supportive, texted to ask how it went & I said I did all I could, it's out of my hands now.

I also had a message that someone else called & wanted to do a brief phone interview, which I hate! I called & after answering a few questions he said that the position i applied for was filled but there was another position & would I be interested. Of course I said yes & truth is that I am better suited for the second position, but I didn't feel a positive vibe from him. He seemed a bit dismissive & ended by saying well i appreciate your calling & we'll speak to some more people. No mention of getting back to me or some schedule for in person interviews. Again trying not to read too much into it, but this is SOOOOOO frustraing and stressful. My stomach is in knots 24/7 & with the dire labor reports it's hard to remain hopeful.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:14 pm

You've seen the results of my searches LOL. Eventually, a door has to open for all of us. I keep trying to tell myself that when a door doesn't open for me, it is only because it wasn't the right door for me.

Here's something that might make you laugh: I had an interview a while back. I was so nervous, I made a point of getting there extra early so I could find a near by spot, and prepare myself. When I got to the area, I got a cup of coffee and used the ladies room. To my horror, I realized I still was wearing my sleep shorts under my skirt!
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:19 pm

wow that is something lol. stress and anxiety manifests it self in some strange ways. sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying. my adventure of getting lost in the nyc subway and stairway didnt seem to have a major negative impact and i hope your mishap didnt hurt you either.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Well NFPExec I too live in NY.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Nfpexec, I hope the young girl doesn't get the job because of your age. You know that's going on.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:50 pm

she was intimidating b/c i know employers are ready to kick older workers to curb, but i know im heart that i have so much more experience and knowledge in this field, but who knows. there had to be 15 yrs or more age gap. funny thing is 15 yrs ago i was very much like her.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Anxiety and stress manifest yes I can vouch for that, recently I've been breaking out in patches of rashish hive ish random patches, some times on my stomache or on my knee my wrist etc. They're quite random and irritating. I've never suffered from this type of thing before.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:25 pm

nfpexec wrote:wow that is something lol. stress and anxiety manifests it self in some strange ways. sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying. my adventure of getting lost in the nyc subway and stairway didnt seem to have a major negative impact and i hope your mishap didnt hurt you either.

No, but I had to have put them back on after the nylons....very disconcerting!
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Oh man. My sink is clogged, I'm two months behind on phone, have no money for rent, utilities, subway or food! Yet I had my 1st second interview in more than 2 years. I was on my A game, which wasn't easy since I feel pretty hopeless at this point. I felt I nailed the interview, was informed, had good questions and most importantly EXPERIENCE. The company is relatively new, only 3 employees, NO benefits, which I desperately need, and major salary cut of more $15K YET they sent an email saying they were still deciding and would get back to me next week. I ask you WHAT is the hold up? With a strong economy they would have been hounding me to work for them. I'm so out of time, patience, money EVERYTHING. When will this end PLEASE!!!!!
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:47 pm

I know this is crazy, but young people are starting to intimidate me as well. And, I just don't mean in the job area, I'm starting to feel like we are a burden on them or something along those lines. I find it hard to hold up my end of the conversation with them, like they feel I don't have any value. I should probably consider getting some help with this, I never use to fell that way towards any group, especially; not the young who have their whole careers ahead of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:18 pm

i know exactly how you feel because i feel the same way. when im talking to them, and theyre usually the ones interviewing me, i get the impression theyre just tolerating me, going thru the motions but no real connection, they dont relate and cant possibly see that i have anything to offer. quite disheartening!
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:50 pm

Or they could just be as intimdated by you and think, this person has more experience than me, if I hire them, or recomend them to be hired, what if the boss sees more potential in them and I loet my job and they get it. Hmmmm.

On positive days I feel like that. On negative days I think, wow, this interviewer is stupid doesnt know what to ask so they're just mumbling words and not really listening to anything. Wast of time.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Dont know what to do. Still waiting on ONLY second interview I've had & the long wait doesn't make me feel positive since I have NOTHING else going on. No calls or anything other than another rejection email. Makes it so easy for employers to turn you down instead of sending out snail mail! How convenient for them.

Since i have less than $300 in bank & cant make this month's bills, I am revamping my resume & cover letter AGAIN. Got this email about cover letters:

“9 out of 10 recruiters that I know don’t read them, and 10 out of 10 recruiters that I know don’t pass them along to hiring managers….” However, a bad cover letter can sink you. “I have NEVER read a resume of someone who was unqualified for the job and thought ‘well, if they have a great cover letter I’ll reconsider.’ Never happened; never will.
However, I have on several occasions read a resume of a qualified candidate, then moved on to the cover letter out of curiosity, and have promptly removed that candidate from consideration.”

So since a great cover letter, in Gaspin’s mind, won’t help, but a bad one will hurt, the solution is to strip the cover letter down to its basics.
1. Address it to the correct company. Please.
2. Keep it brief. No more than a couple of well thought out paragraphs.
3. Outline two things: why you want the job and why you’re right for the job.
4. Don’t repeat your resume. They’ve already read that.
5. Try to keep it conversational – this is your chance to show your personality.
6. Don’t show too much personality. Failed attempts at humor are deadly in cover letters.
7. If your personality sucks, ignore #6 and stick to a very business-like tone.
8. Read it out loud. If it doesn’t sound good out loud, it doesn’t look good in writing.
9. Proofread it. Check for spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence structure. Spellcheck is your worst enemy. Just because there are no red squiggly lines doesn’t mean it’s right.
10. Proofread it. Again. You missed something the first time. Trust me.
If you’ve followed these steps, you probably are now sitting in front of a document that is inoffensive, vanilla, and could have come from 1000 different candidates. If that’s what you have, congratulations! You have a perfect cover letter.

Remember, this is coming from the former director of talent acquisition at Conde Nast, where (if anywhere) cover letter writers would have the chops to pull off personality and humor in a cover letter. We’re rethinking all our application strategies now, from the ground up.

nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:13 am

This past week has been dry for me. Haven't heard anything from the last interview so I think I can take it as a no.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by 462Tech Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:16 am

I put in an application with the city last Friday. Job closes today, maybe I'll hear something next week.

462Tech

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:59 pm

The list keeps getting longer. I dont apply for jobs on Craigslist that dont list a direct email or company's name. Dont apply for jobs that require long online application. Just yesterday I was going to apply for a seasonal position that said the online application would take 20 minutes. Gimme a break. I'e never gotten ONE positive response to those applications. I believe they're set up to screen you OUT. I've also come to realize that IF you're lucky enough to get an interview, the longer the wait after the interview spells nothing good to come.

I had a second interview with a small company almost 3 weeks ago and not a peep since. I could contact them AGAIN but I prefer not to because I feel if they wanted me they would have contacted me by now.

I had an interview the friday before memorial day. I had to cancel a doctor's appointment, the bus was late so I had to pay for a cab, which I couldn't afford and spent an hour and half selling myself. It's not arrogance because I am more than willing to admit when I am not a fit for a job, but I KNEW i could do this job. Not a word from them since then but lo and behold, last night when I was sending out resumes at 2 AM, i see that the position has been reposted. What a surprise! I can't begin to tell you how many positions I've either applied for or was interviewed for that have continued to be posted as an open position.

I dont get it, these people know they have all the cards on their side and they've abused the people trying to find work and contribute as a productive member of society. I'm so angry for so long I no longer know how to express it. I'm probably internalizing it!
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:23 pm

I would apply or send a resume again see if you get called back. Just to be annoying.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next