Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

I don't know about everyone else but I am

+10
lendmeflight2
suri
Lost_in_Oregon
phjohan
americatheneedy
Jobless_in_Ma
503Depressed
New_Wave_Princess
Falcon7
Sunrise
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 Empty I don't know about everyone else but I am

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

Really mad and angry about not being able to sucessfully finding a new position.

On top of that Gas and everything going up, but yet people are saying things are getting better....

NO IT'S NOT.... getting worst....

I find myself withdrawing from people, I was NEVER like that... and latley it seems like people are talking about stuipd things...

My rant...

Back to top Go down

I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 Empty Re: I don't know about everyone else but I am

Post by phjohan Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Someone mentioned volunteering is good. However, the employer will say, "why should I hire when I can get $0/hr?" Unfortunately, $0/hr does not pay the bills.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 Empty Re: I don't know about everyone else but I am

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Volunteering will not work. You are better off telling them that you are self employed and you became that way because you didn't want to sit on your butt when you lost your job. You wanted to stay active and not just wait on something to happen. This is what the hiring manager is going to want to hear.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by 503Depressed Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:27 pm

Technically, I have been self-employed....in addition to full-time employment and now part-time employment since 2000. Just need more customers that don't require me to have A+ certification, which is rare now. Everyone is requiring all the spendy certs they can.
503Depressed
503Depressed

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:43 pm

I let someone else now pay for the spendy certs. The program is called WIA or Workforce Investment Act at the local career center.

As for interviews, interviews may be done on a just being political while the employer has someone else in mind; an H1B candidate.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:02 pm

phjohan wrote:I let someone else now pay for the spendy certs. The program is called WIA or Workforce Investment Act at the local career center.

As for interviews, interviews may be done on a just being political while the employer has someone else in mind; an H1B candidate.

Speaking of Visas - if you haven't already, please let your voice be heard and sign the petition and tell them to stop giving away American jobs:
http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-giving-away-american-jobs
Sunrise
Sunrise

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:26 pm

"Speaking of Visas - if you haven't already, please let your voice be heard and sign the petition and tell them to stop giving away American jobs:
http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-giving-away-american-jobs"

Done - compliments of Motorola - ooppppsss!

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by cablab Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:25 am

Well this is embarrassing...
keep up the good work tho and ty for trying Arrow
cablab
cablab

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:16 pm

Networking is code for people who know someone, which I don't so why go around butt kissing at some event.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:30 am

Even knowing someone does not work.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:34 am

I have burnt out, I have 2 checks left and no light at the tunnel, I am so depressed at this point that I sleep all day and up all night.

I'm a robot, I send resumes with the thought that I will never get a new job ever again.

I have been beaten down so bad it is not funny.

My life is over, what do I have to look forward to, nothing.... No job means no money, no food, cannot pay child support (feeding and clothing my daughter.

I have reached the end. Please do not suggest that I call a hotline, as it will not make my situation better, I can cry and moan about circumstances but it will not change it.

I have never not had a job, I have never had such a hard time finding one; until now.

Even one of my friends even said that if it was him he would of lost it a year and a half ago and commends me for holding it together this long, but my holding it together is dwindling fast.

I am not saying i'm going to do anything but my optimism is turing into pessisism VERY fast about EVERYTHING.

I sit here typing this and watching Star Trek, I am a geek. wishing that things would be just like it, filled with optimism and exploration, I've watched Star Trek since I was 5, other kids would watch batman and other stuff but I always found the other stuff stupid.

anyways, I have fought to stay positive but it is faltering.

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:33 am

YB500 wrote:Really mad and angry about not being able to sucessfully finding a new position.

On top of that Gas and everything going up, but yet people are saying things are getting better....

NO IT'S NOT.... getting worst....

I find myself withdrawing from people, I was NEVER like that... and latley it seems like people are talking about stuipd things...

My rant...

unfortunately you are not withdrawing, your being isolated by the social network because you don't have a job. The unemployed are looked down upon and continued to be blame for their unemployment from both repubs. and dems. I am amazed that thedems have not taken up unemployment as their cause because it is getting worse not better!!!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:27 am

YB500 wrote:I have burnt out, I have 2 checks left and no light at the tunnel, I am so depressed at this point that I sleep all day and up all night.

I'm a robot, I send resumes with the thought that I will never get a new job ever again.

I have been beaten down so bad it is not funny.

My life is over, what do I have to look forward to, nothing.... No job means no money, no food, cannot pay child support (feeding and clothing my daughter.

I have reached the end. Please do not suggest that I call a hotline, as it will not make my situation better, I can cry and moan about circumstances but it will not change it.

I have never not had a job, I have never had such a hard time finding one; until now.

Even one of my friends even said that if it was him he would of lost it a year and a half ago and commends me for holding it together this long, but my holding it together is dwindling fast.

I am not saying i'm going to do anything but my optimism is turing into pessisism VERY fast about EVERYTHING.

I sit here typing this and watching Star Trek, I am a geek. wishing that things would be just like it, filled with optimism and exploration, I've watched Star Trek since I was 5, other kids would watch batman and other stuff but I always found the other stuff stupid.

anyways, I have fought to stay positive but it is faltering.

I understand YB, its hard to stay positive when everything is crashing down around you. Just know you are not alone. I have a good feeling that HR 589 will start seeing some action. (Although a good job would be ideal lol)

Please hang in there and as always, we are here for you to vent to. I don't know about everyone else but I am - Page 2 148215

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:28 am

I wonder what percentage of the unemployed are baby boomers.

Note: Baby boomers are born between 1946 and 1964.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 am

Idk...I would guess quite a few.

Back to top Go down

Post by nclovesnyc Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:38 pm

It could be worse. You could be unemployed with a criminal record which furthers isolates you from society. I am a GOD fearing woman and stay prayed up because what you are going through (if you believe in satan, evil spirit, whatever you may call it) is an "idle mind" and it reaps havoc. I suggest keeping busy., read fiction to take you away and learn a new language like Spanish. Lots of free sites online for learning spanish and it could only help to be bilingual in today's economy. Apply for government programs like Medicaid and food stamps to keep you going in the mean time. This too shall pass.....

nclovesnyc

Back to top Go down

Post by suri Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:18 pm

Yeah, baby boomer here!

YB, we're with you and really, really GET IT!! My kids, who have exp with unemp, now give me back my sermons: It's always darkest before... The hero is not any more brave, just brave a little longer, don't take IT personally, and don't lose your sense of humor? Yeah, easier said THAN DONE, right?

THIS will not last 'forever' but it sure SEEMS LIKE IT! I send good vibes that you will find strength, for yourself and for your child, to believe, dream, and hope the better days are just around the corner!! Let us help you vent, rant and rave, or just vertify whatever you are feeling. We have all been there, still there, and go forward!! I think it's the 'end of checks' depression and it was very rough for me also... confused

suri

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Baby boomer here as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by 503Depressed Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Tail end Baby Boomer - 1964.
503Depressed
503Depressed

Back to top Go down

Post by NY Lady Sun May 01, 2011 9:21 am

Baby boomer here too.
And I feel like YB500 also. Although I do have the "I will take anything" job that pays next to nothing and cost me $50 in gas a week to get to, it is sapping any energy I have and all my positivity about the future. The more time that goes by out of my field, the harder ot looks like I will ever get back into it. This is really depressing.

NY Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Sun May 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Gen X here: I was born in 1971. However, yes even Gen Xers are being overlooked for the new generation.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 01, 2011 4:00 pm

New_Wave_Princess wrote:Gen X here: I was born in 1971. However, yes even Gen Xers are being overlooked for the new generation.

I recently saw the movie Wall Street and one part I cant get out of my head

Michael Douglas' character did a lecture at a college where he referred to the audience as the "NINJA" generation...No Income, No Job, No Assets...was thinking not too far from the truth!!

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Sun May 01, 2011 4:10 pm

I haven't seen that movie in many years but I think a lot of my generation (I assume that was the generation going by the year)were pushed into college even though it wasn't always a good thing. Part of the problem we are seeing are many college grads.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 01, 2011 4:17 pm

You should check this movie out...I never saw the old one and am not sure if its a remake or something totally different. it is a new movie with Michael Douglas and Shia Labouff. Its a must see. redbox has it for a buck.

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Sun May 01, 2011 4:25 pm

You mean the new movie? I thought you were talking about the original. But yeah this new generation is really going to be screwed because they are going into debt for a field than may likely be outsourced or visaed.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2