Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Unemployment burnout - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Unemployment burnout

+27
Judi58
mscpateach
Tamy70
couth11
suri
Tawanda
lendmeflight2
wausauguy
MissRi
Arania
endlessPAIN
irishmalou
helpinghand
NY Lady
JoanB
delko
americatheneedy
js123
Sunrise
superstevies
rainer123
nfpexec
laine25
lizalphonso
503Depressed
Jobless_in_Ma
phjohan
31 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 2 Empty Unemployment burnout

Post by phjohan Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:28 am

First topic message reminder :

The title says the symptom and there appears no help for recovery. There is help for AA, drugs, gamblers, however not for job seekers burnout. Even the career center appears ignorant to the problem. What do you think? No

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 2 Empty Re: Unemployment burnout

Post by phjohan Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Jobless_in_MA - actually, I am taking a course in Webmaster certification and design online through National University extension. However, I do know what you mean of basics.

As for burnout - the condition is still real just as fatigue is real.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Burnout?

I am so burnt I wish I had a gun so I can put myself out of my misery!!!!!

I am so sick of sending out resumes and getting no where.

I spent all of last night, I went to bed at 4AM this morning and woke up at 8AM, redoing my resume.

From 8AM to 5PM sending out resumes.....

Yeah, gimmee a gun.... So I can blow my brains out!!!!!

Almost 2 years of this....

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:45 pm

YB, if you are really feeling on edge please call the Suicide prevention Hotline.

1=800-273 TALK.

Feel free to PM me as well if you need to talk. However I hope this comment was just in frustration.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:47 pm

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:YB, if you are really feeling on edge please call the Suicide prevention Hotline.

1=800-273 TALK.

Feel free to PM me as well if you need to talk. However I hope this comment was just in frustration.

Frustration, stress, feeling worthless...

government lies, fudging numbers, we are the new poor....

I just don't care anymore... about anything.... I don't own a gun....

BTW, Thanks Dude...

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:57 pm

YB500 wrote:
Jobless_in_Ma wrote:YB, if you are really feeling on edge please call the Suicide prevention Hotline.

1=800-273 TALK.

BTW, Thanks Dude...

NO need to Thank me. I know how you feel. I struggle with all of those same feelings on a daily basis.

Somehow my friend we will pull through this huge Rut we are in.

Like I said, feel free to send me a PM if you need to talk etc.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:
YB500 wrote:

1=800-273 TALK.

BTW, Thanks Dude...

NO need to Thank me. I know how you feel. I struggle with all of those same feelings on a daily basis.

Somehow my friend we will pull through this huge Rut we are in.

Like I said, feel free to send me a PM if you need to talk etc.

I wish this were 15 years ago, I had a job and a beautiful girlfriend, Linda, we used to go out and do stuff.

We used to work at the same company, go to lunches, she would come over to my apt after work... I got home before her and when she was home she would say "Honey I'm home"..... I used to make dinner and when I used to go over her apt she would make dinner for us...

I miss those times....

When I was depressed, she would make things better, one time I had a bad cold and she sat with me for many hrs with my head in her lap and I would be asleep and when she was sick I would do the same for her....

Now i'm alone and jobless.... I would give anything for her to say to me "Everything will be alright"....

Different times, people were different....

Back to top Go down

Post by delko Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:56 am

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:
phjohan wrote:delko - your condition and how you feel is real. Problem being, others do not believe the condition exists. confused

All I can say, try and take a class through your career center and ask for WIA. Point being, the free paid training that you like might improve networking and keep you occupied, while not using your dollars. Good luck.

As far as I know, you have one year to use WIA after that you are out of luck. Most of us feel we would find work in our fields, by the time you realize it seems impossible its too late.

If I really thought retraining gave me a better shot of starting on a new career, I would've done it long ago. The issue is, just about every field it seems has an 'overstock' of workers, who are out looking for work. I have no problem with starting from the bottom again in a new field, even though I was making $91,000 a yr before getting laid off from my field of 17 years last Mar 2010. However, the problem is, you get trained in a new field, you are competing against others out of work in that field who have experience, AND are willing to work for the same pay as you would as an entry level. Who are employers going to hire in that case? Me with NO experience, or the person with experience who will work for the same entry level pay? I think the answer to that one is obvious.
In addition to applying to whatever few jobs are posted in my industry, which is 401k consulting and record keeping, I am applying to anything I can get. Lowes, Home Depot. Car dealers....even a car dealer car washer, they put as one of the requirements "1 year of dealership experience". Come on! I know how to wash a car!!! Washed my cars for 20 years now!!! But its their way of weeding out the lost souls like me who are just looking to do anything for income. As they feel that someone like me, displaced from their industry, will never stay there. As soon as the market gets better (IF it ever does recover), they will be back to their old industry. I cannot say thats not necessarily true. But, for me personally, if I liked what I was doing, it was close to home, and it allowed me to have a work and life balance, you never know. Try me.
This is what all makes me laugh when the Obummer Administration is offering back to school training as the solution. No jobs is STILL no jobs....I dont care how many fields you train in. Under his Plan, we could end up being the most educated Country in the World, yet still Unemployed.

delko

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:47 am

I know I kept looking for something to retrain in and I came to the conclusion there was no good bet, so why go further into debt?
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:08 pm

Jobless_in_MA - I hear you clearly. However, you have transferable skills, which can be found through self-assessment and by the book titled, "Do what you are." Thus, being underemployed, you qualify. In my case, if the employer can not figure your potential - too bad. However, I can understand how your condition causes burnout, while others do not.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by delko Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:07 pm

And people will tell me I should go talk to a pyschologist. WHY??? What can a psychologist offer for me? Bottom line is, the ONLY cure for this 'disease' is to get a darn job. And I am 100% certain a psychologist does not have this to offer me.

delko

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:07 pm

@delko - you are correct. Exercise will be better such as walking than seeing a psychologist. Besides, the Psychologist will cost $$$ and walking does not. Furthermore, the psychologist might say you have anxiety or feel burned out. Then the psychologist will say exercise is good. Good luck.

By the way, a recent discussion is placing the resume on linkedin and making many contacts as long as contacts are not related to Mr. Scam Madoff.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by 503Depressed Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:01 pm

@phjohan Linkedin isn't any better a resource than say Craigslist. I've had my resume on there since I got laid off, along with lots of contacts. So far (Over 2yrs now), nothing has come of it.

If you are not an Engineer or highly experienced Management professional, Linkedin is useless. Since I have over 13 years in manufacturing and have an Assoc. in Business Administration, Linkedin holds no value for me. If I had say an MBA, Masters in Engineering (any field) and 10yrs+ experience in those fields, then yes, Linkedin is a valuable tool.
503Depressed
503Depressed

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:04 pm

I also have had zero luck with linked in. Its even more depressing when you see a lot of your colleagues working. Especially ones you may of helped in the past.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:02 pm

FYI - I have an MBA and see other professionals on Linkedin. Ie. - just the talk of the town. I am, however using my thesis research towards making waves such as the recent fatigue incident. In a job group in San Diego, an unemployed MSW, Masters in clinical psychology or thereof, was in the group. I asked, "what are you doing here?" For instance, have you heard of Japan or many Veterans encountering problems? - No answer.

The only news I have is by 2012, there will be a shortage of workers.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by delko Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:24 pm

phjohan wrote:@delko - you are correct. Exercise will be better such as walking than seeing a psychologist. Besides, the Psychologist will cost $$$ and walking does not. Furthermore, the psychologist might say you have anxiety or feel burned out. Then the psychologist will say exercise is good. Good luck.

By the way, a recent discussion is placing the resume on linkedin and making many contacts as long as contacts are not related to Mr. Scam Madoff.

My resume has been on linkedin since long before the layoff a year ago today. But thanks anyway

delko

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:35 pm

@delko - thanks. Currently working on increasing the activity. Someone mentioned adding interests created an improvement. I am thinking of placing a young professional photo on linkedin using scan and image enhancements. Thus, a little at a time or what else can one do?

Burnout - no answer from the career center.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Bad day again Burnout...... I have worked on my resume for 3 days getting it perfect.

Nothing is perfect but you know what I mean.

I find myself getting more and more quiet. I really do not want to talk to anyone around me and for me that is bad, I'm an outgoing person but in fact I see nothing but an abyss that I am looking into.

Seems like I send out hundreds of resumes a month, to date I have sent out about 5K in 21 months, 5 interviews....

With me redoing my resume, taking the redundant things out and keeping it "In shape" with no fat on it.

More and more I find myself sinking more into depression... At this point I don't even put on a happy face like I used to, now don't get me wrong if I go on a interview THAT's a different story but besides that I am a miserable person now B/C of the fact of the unemployment situation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:57 pm

I know how you feel YB this is why we have a forum such as this. So folks realize thy are not alone in these feelings.
I do firmly believe that someday we will be rewarded for all this suffering.

I hope its soon. In the meantime we have to keep doing what we can to survive.

take care.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:52 am

Same here - just think of the states reducing UI benefits and what a crisis shortened UI benefits bring. In meantime, talk of improvements continue.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:46 am

We're all in good company here. I managed to land an interview this week and spent about 40 hours creating sample pieces that were specific to this job.

The two people who interviewed me were both young enough to be my kids.

The interview lasted only 30 minutes.

They didn't want to look at the pieces I worked on so hard.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:31 pm

@JoanB - I understand. While interviewing at a M company, I brought in items showing my interest. My interest was in broadcast engineering. Unfortunately, I was not the right fit or being un-Indian. The EEOC states there is much obnoxious in the employer. Just look at the Wal-Mart lawsuit.

Maybe a thank you with a brief what you missed might help. Closure is good within ~ 48 hours.

Good luck on burnout releif as I have not had an interview since May 2010.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:04 pm

JoanB wrote:We're all in good company here. I managed to land an interview this week and spent about 40 hours creating sample pieces that were specific to this job.

The two people who interviewed me were both young enough to be my kids.

The interview lasted only 30 minutes.

They didn't want to look at the pieces I worked on so hard.

That so so rude for them not to even look at the pieces that you worked hard on, to me that would show initiative and going the extra mile if I was interviewing you.

It doesn't matter if people were laid off (through no fault of their own) as long as you can do the job, that is the bottom line, doing the job.....

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:45 pm

YB500 wrote:That so so rude for them not to even look at the pieces that you worked hard on, to me that would show initiative and going the extra mile if I was interviewing you.

It doesn't matter if people were laid off (through no fault of their own) as long as you can do the job, that is the bottom line, doing the job.....

Yeah, well that's what I thought too...I thought that I was showing how much I wanted the job and that I could do it because I brought stuff with me that I did.

Silly us. I think our biggest downfall (at least mine) has been spending far too much time learning how to do useful things instead of learning how to play golf.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Update - got the official word today that I didn't get the job.

Can't wait to hear "Oh well, something will come along soon--gotta keep a positive attitude!"

Yeah. Tell it to someone who believes you have a clue what you're talking about.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Yes, a usual comment may be for the 1000th time, "Good luck in your job search." Regrettably, contributing to burnout.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next