Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Unemployment burnout - Page 7 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Unemployment burnout

+27
Judi58
mscpateach
Tamy70
couth11
suri
Tawanda
lendmeflight2
wausauguy
MissRi
Arania
endlessPAIN
irishmalou
helpinghand
NY Lady
JoanB
delko
americatheneedy
js123
Sunrise
superstevies
rainer123
nfpexec
laine25
lizalphonso
503Depressed
Jobless_in_Ma
phjohan
31 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 7 Empty Unemployment burnout

Post by phjohan Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:28 am

First topic message reminder :

The title says the symptom and there appears no help for recovery. There is help for AA, drugs, gamblers, however not for job seekers burnout. Even the career center appears ignorant to the problem. What do you think? No

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 7 Empty Re: Unemployment burnout

Post by nfpexec Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:15 am

It was a rough week here in NY. Absolutely nothing on the job front, 3rd anniversary of unemployment coming up. Coupled with the 9/11 anniversary it makes me remember how different life was 10 years ago. Fortunately my friend made a loan to get me thru the next couple of weeks and my new semester is starting so i need to get into a positive mindset. After earthquakes & hurricanes I forced myself to get back to job hunting so i sent out a group of resumes tonight. Its hard to keep yourself on track when you're not getting any positive feedback but this has to stop! I can't take it anymore. I can't make any decisions about my life since everything revolves around money, no matter how small or insignificant. I just want to breathe easy again. Thats all.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:12 am

I wish I had something uplifting to say. This last week I feel like my spirit went from broken to destroyed. I am trying to pick myself up, but I am so wiped out.

I got a rejection letter from one job, and mre devastating I received an email from another job I wanted so bad. It was only a part-time job with low pay, but I really wanted it and I should have realized that wanting would mean lots of hurt, I feel I have been hurt so much that I should know how to just be ok with another hurt but it seems my coping skills are just gone.

I wonder, what happens next, as things spiral downward, do I just fade away, or is that even too good an expectation, ZI am so tired of feeling so defeated and hurt.

And to add to my feeling of defeat, the politics here are so ugly. It is not about what I agree with, it is about the mean spiritedness and downright bullying that just makes me question humanity. I recognize my own experiences of being bullied add to my oversensitivity. Banning all republicans from the labor day parade and making up negative comments about people is not only childish but destructive to ever hoping that people will work on things rather than putting out sound bites.

I see the sun is out... the temperature is nice...I feel so ashamed that I have to "force" myself to even get out and enjoy the beautiful day. I have prayed, I have pleaded, I don't know what to do anymore. I need something good to happen to be the catalyst to get me back.

Well...thanks for listening again.

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:06 am

Labor day tribute to my dad. Dad passed away June 30th this year one day after his birthday. My dad to me is what “labor day” represents. He worked in a factory in his teens and forward for 15 years and later at the mill for nearly 50 years combined. He worked most weekends, and swing shifts. He worked hard to have his family live a semblance of the working middle class. He may not have gone to high school, but he was smart in many ways. He provided well, and all 5 of his children have graduated high school, 3 have degrees beyond high school. And, one of his sons was in the Navy, and escaped the wrath of Bevent and Wisconsin winters permanently.... Smile Thank You dad…
Link to pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2141547736245.2115217.1172743990&l=7754d0f31e&type=1

Last edited by wausauguy on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispelling)

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:12 am

http://www.harvardsquarelibrary.org/prayers_of_power/Diann-Neu.php

BLESSED BE OUR HANDS by Diann Neu

"Blessed be the work of our hands.

Blessed be these hands that touch life.

Blessed be these hands that nurture creativity.

Blessed be these hands that hold pain.

Blessed be these hands that embrace with passion.

Blessed be these hands that tend gardens.

Blessed bed these hands that close in anger.

Blessed be these hands that plant new seeds.

Blessed be these hands that harvest ripe fields.

Blessed be these hands that clean, wash, mop, scrub.

Blessed be these hands that become knotty with age.

Blessed be these hands that wrinkle and scar from doing justice.

Blessed are these hands that reach out and are received.

Blessed are these hands that hold the promise of the future.

Blessed be the works of our hands and hearts."

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:16 am

http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2006/09/labor-day-prayers.html

"God our Creator, it is your will that man accept the duty of work. In your kindness may the work we begin bring us growth in this life and help to extend the kingdom of Christ. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Labor Day Litany:

Reader: Friends, let us offer our prayers to God, who pronounced all creation. God, who sent his Son to live and work as one like us, and who calls us to serve the poor and those oppressed. Lord, give success to the work of our hands.
ALL: Lord, give success to the work of our hands.

Reader: For all those who work:

Reader: For those who are unemployed or underemployed, or have lost their jobs because of changing economic conditions, let us pray:

Reader: For those who work in hazardous conditions without sufficient protection, let us pray: ALL: Lord, give success to the work of our hands.

Reader: For migrant workers and all who work the land, let us pray:

Reader: For all employers that they may seek to provide a just work environment:

Reader: For those who face discrimination, harassment, or abuse in the work place, let us pray: ALL: Lord, give success to the work of our hands.

Reader: For those who must balance job commitments with the needs of their families, let us pray:

Reader: Loving God, through your Son you gave us an example to love one another as He loved us. Give us the strength to continue working to bring forth your kingdom here on earth - a kingdom of justice and peace, kindness and compassion, grace and mercy. Grant this through Christ our Lord.
ALL: Amen "

I am sharing this, if for some reason it does not resonate with you please take no offense. I have no intentions of forcing any religious views and take the good from it if it helps, if not please disregard. I am finding some comfort in prayer and it seems to help to have something to base it on.

Everyone have a safe and happy Labor Day !

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:30 pm

I know I take things too personal and people mean well. But, I wish people who have not had to find a job in the last five years are giving advice. Today someone was talking about their friend who lost their job after 9/11 and worked at a gas station two years before landing another job. Well... job market of 2001 was nowhere near as tight as 2011. I just listen and go my way. People don't get it that retail etc are also not a slam dunk anymore and might actually hurt getting a job that has some security, a living wage, and health insurance.

I should not complain and am trying to be hopeful as I have an interview... but I also find myself upset at times worrying about how I can make it on such low pay if I am lucky and land the job.

Something is very wrong when after 25+ years of experience and degrees I might have to consider food pantries even when I land a job.

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:12 pm

J

It's so hard i know. Sometimes many of us feel like our chests will split open from the tension. I agree with you wholeheartly, 38 years for me and never lost a job or was fired. I start to think that maybe I wasn't as good as I thought and they just never said anything. But then I come back to reality, it has nothing to do with you or with us. We are competing for jobs with millions. And the jobs we are competing for are not the caliber of jobs we once held. Don't let it get to you. It's not you. It just the world right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:38 am

Thanks for listening.

I am grateful for your continued encouragement.

I feel like I have more anxiety than when I was getting my first real job.

I will be so glad to get through the interview Tuesday.
J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by DD Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:00 pm

To everyone...
My thoughts are with all of you and I totally understand about the whole burnout concept.
It sure can take alot out of you & I am thankful for the volunteer opportunities that I have taken advantage of, in between searching, sending resumes and getting that once in a awhile interview.
Although I am employed, it is only part time, of course due to economic reasons...sure could use a FT job again.
Some days, I find it hard to keep believing in myself and although this situation isn't our fault, I always feel guilty and never feel like I am doing enough, even though I spend a good deal of free time on the job search.
Just wanted to post a friendly note to everyone that if anyone needs to vent, you have another "ear" so to speak.
Wausau guy, good luck today on the interview & hope you get excellent news:)
DD

DD

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:24 pm

I made it through the interview. I felt it went well.

I stll think it is a 50/50 thing. The person interviewing was adamant about my understanding that this is for an entry level - entry level position... no lower to go. I am not sure if I did well enough at convincing her that I understand. While it is good to point out as she did I have a good background and skill sets, what does it matter when I just need a job that has some benefits like health insurance?

I guess I did my part and will send a thank you note. The position will not be filled until Jan 9 so it will likely be a while before I hear from them.

Thank you everyone for caring, listening, and sharing.

J

Last edited by wausauguy on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:16 pm

J, so glad to hear from you. I am praying you get it. Even if it's temporary. Many managers and recruiters feel they have to emphasize the "entry level" as many people don't understand that just because they made x in the past, this job isn't going to pay that. I guess just covering their bases. Don't give up and don't be disheartened. We are all still here and still pulling for you. Let us know please. In the meantime, just post and let us know how you are and what you are up to. mk

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:48 pm

I feel like I am sliding downward as far as my state of mind.

I know better than let it get to me but so many things are making me lose faith in humanity. Bus service will be eliminated in 3 or the villages that surround Wausau. I feel so bad for those that will lose their way to get anywhere. There was a fund raiser on Saturday and seeing the hope and then to hear that it really did not matter because 2 of the communities refuse to pay for the bus service. I understand not wanting to increase taxes, but that is why the taxes in those communities are so much less that here.

Yesterday I received a letter from unemployment that all extensions had been exhausted. I took it ok. Then when I logged in today online it says my unemployment account was added 13 weeks. This will sound strange but it has me wondering if it is correct. I have been unemployed form full time work since March 28 2009 and worked for the census and a restaurant job in 2010 but had no employment in 2011. I keep hearing the max is 99 weeks but i have collected more than 99 weeks, I just fear that they will come back and say an error was made and make me payback.

Today I received a call early from a friend asking to borrow money. He needs the money for fuel for his delivery truck to run his business. His bank withdrew his last $450 for an appraisal fee to refinance.

Then another friend who lives out of town calls to tell me his car has been repossessed. I learn that in 2006 Wisconsin revised the laws concerning repossession of cars making it easier for banks to take them and not even have to have a judgement or court order before it is repossessed.

Seems the banks , insurance companies KNEW that the economy was crashing.

I applied for 3 jobs today but other than that I am walking around a messy house nearly in tears becuase I feel like I do not see a real light to end this downward feeling.

I know this is being a bit dramatic but it is all adding up to make me feel like things are just getting worse.

I called a friend tonight and I sensed a "what do you expect when someone doesn't make their payments" when I wanted to express how I feel it was wrong that my friends car was repossessed without real warnings. I have always paid my bills and I also feel people should but being unemployed I will face at some point a scenario of a late payment. It bothers me on 2 levels, one being that my friend really has nothing but the car, and 2 I see how easily that it could be me in his shoes.

I did call an older friend and he listened, but I have to admit someone in my peer group is what I was looking for.

I am left feeling like most people don't care. I see the pity commercials for pets and starving kids in africa. But you know my friends struggles may not be so obvious and some like me may be over 40 overweight male but we are suffering and at least deserve to be listened to in a caring manner. People with good paying jobs are complaining about paying more for health insurance / pension and many of us are left begging for a job that pays at least enough to pay the mortgage and property taxes.

I should be happy that my unemployment appears to be good for 13 weeks at full rate as it pays better than jobs at $8 or $9 an hour but I am so wanting to just say I have a damn job.

I have to wait until January to find out about the job I interviewed for the other week.

Anyway, thanks for listening...

Merry Christmas

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:35 am

I found out I did not get the job, by a mass type email that simply states the job is no longer available. I hate to say it, but there is a portion of me that is relieved. The job was too repetitive but it sure would have been nice to be able to say I have full-time work etc. It is tiring to "explain" being unemployed anytime someone asks what do you do... etc.

I will always have hope, but I also admit there is this feeling that what if a living wage job does not come for me. Even if I land a $9 an hour job, no matter if it is full-time there is no way to keep my home, modest as it is. I don't want sympathy and all the rest. I want an opportunity to make it.

I find I am sometimes angry, and start to try to find blame.... and iA say things I am not proud of, But, I guess recognizing them means I have some code of ethics, and such left.

I do however feel blame needs to be sent to the experts, the academia that has built this monstrous efficiency, bottom-line method of business. It seemed a good thing, supposedly more people were living better, wages were going up, and the greed took over.

I fear that if we do not get national healthcare, and move healthcare out of being tied to employment, employers will continue to not hire, will continue to work their staff longer hours and myself and others will just basically need to disappear with no income.

May we be blessed with miracles...

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by DD Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Wausau...sorry to hear about the mass email. Hope you get the other job you interviewed for.
Honestly, besides applying for the jobs listed on the boards, I've vamped my search so much and tried to get creative, without any calls.
I interviewed with several companies between June-September and then, nothing.
I see alot out there in my field and am willing to work in something a little different, but I have a feeling that I won't be called until this month sometime...and then there will be more excuses as to why employers are afraid to hire. With 2012 being an election year, I anticipate more games, etc., when the rest of us need living wage
jobs!
My problem is that my present employer, who I've been with for 20 years, has given me too many empty promises and I'm still job sharing with the office manager, going on the 3rd year, and it should have only been for one year.
I've been burned so much, but yet, I still try to keep a positive attitude, whereas, my co-worker has had a "chip on the shoulder" attitude, but is still working and hasn't even been affected half as much as I've had.
This person has not had to experience a layoff, ever and did not have to take a pay cut/reduced hours up until two years ago.
But, I will prevail and will find full time employment again, and I think it is going to happen very, very soon....I say bring it on!!
I say this because I WANT this maybe more than others who are just skating by because of all the crap I've had to go through.
Happy New Year....this could very well be your year:) Keep us posted!

DD

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:13 pm

DD thanks for the support. At this time, I have no job in the works. I will just keep applying. I am sorry to hear that you have had to deal with issues on the job.

Now the elections / politicians will dominate, while millions suffer unemployed or underemployed and are ignored.

It is hard for me to believe it is 2012... and here I am still applying for jobs.

Hope everyone is having a great 2012...

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 7 Empty Yep.

Post by Tawanda Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:43 pm

I can't do much more than agree because it seems everything we do comes back to haunt. Everything. Even if you've never done anything. Can you tell I'm in a background process?

The last thing I'll say is that I have never worked so hard at getting a job in my life. I'm ready for this test to conclude and move on to permanent employment.

I am a good person who, though not perfect, has led a fairly clean life (adult and adolescent). It's hard to have every thing you've done (or not done) to be judged. I just want a job where I can flourish (or not, whatever... just want a job).

Tawanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Tawanda Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:53 pm

New_Wave_Princess wrote:
couth11 wrote:Does any one else grit there teeth when they are asked to submit their resume online AND fill out a form asking for almost the same information that is on your resume. Not to mention the bizarre questionnaires.

I have seen some that are just wasteful. One test involved preferences. I could only choose between the primary colors (I don't have a preference among those. I happen to like purple, and shades thereof- does that disqualify me? ). There was also a shape preference question. One asked how often I stole from employers.

One (and this was for a general office clerk position (non accounting) asked questions involving geometric and algebraic formulas, some calculus, etc. I did fine on the algebra, but usually people in my age range haven't taken these courses in years, and this is a good way to rule out older people. I couldn't remember the geometric formulas, unfortunately.

IMO, there is a serious problem with human resources if employment is dependent upon any of these silly games. Also- any job hunter who needs to rely on the internet at the library or a workforce center has 20-60 minutes to job hunt, network and conduct business in. They have to spend money to get there. They cannot afford for their time to be wasted.

Back in 2006 (when I had a job)I had a test that consisted of those math questions. I asked them why and they said they wanted "math" people. Great, but this was a writing position and math people usually aren't writing. Then there was a test I took on this for a retail management position. I stink at math and I failed.

YES. Redundant and I am so friggin' over the job application dance. I literally can barely stand to apply now; I'm so over it. I know this is so long but here is one from today that I'm trying to muster up the strength to do. Keep in mind, it's for EMT-Basic, part time and it MIGHT pay $10/hour and this is only a small portion of this application:

"High School Name
High School City and State
High School Years Completed (date range)
*College Name
College City and State
College Years Completed
College Major/Studies
Vocational/Technical Training
Vocational/Technical Address
Vocational/Technical Years Completed (date range)
Vocational/Technical Studies Description
Other Education/Training Name
Other Education/Training Address
Other Education/Training Years Completed (date range)
Other Education/Training Studies

Please Note: once you complete your application you do not have the ability to attach additional documentation. If you have documentation of your education or certifications please attach it below. If you are applying for a caregiver position that requires certification you must attach copies of your certifications here for the recruiter to review.
Education & Certification Attachments Attach a document

*Have you ever applied or been employed at EMSC or any of Emergency Medical Services Corporation subsidiaries before?

Your SSN/DOB will be kept confidential, maintained securely, and will be used for background screening purposes.
*Please enter your SSN in the following format xxx-xx-xxxx
*Please enter your date of birth in the following format mm/dd/yyyy
*Have you ever applied or been employed at EMSC or any of Emergency Medical Services Corporation subsidiaries before?
If yes, when and what position?
*Do you have any relatives working for EMSC or any of Emergency Medical Services Corporation subsidiaries?
If yes, which location/department?
*What are your minimum Salary Requirements
Enter additional comments about your salary requirements in this area.
Desired Job Type
Are there any hours or days you cannot work?
*How did you learn of this position?
*What attracted you to apply to a position with our company?
If you selected other in the question above please enter the other reason
If referral who referred you?

Enter dates below by selecting your dates from the calendar provided.
*Date Available
*Current or Most Recent Employer
*May we contact the employers listed in your employment history?
If no, indicate which employer(s) you do not want us to contact
Other names that you may be known by

PREVIOUS EMPLOYER INFORMATION... "

Exhausting.

Tawanda

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:20 pm

After filling out this stuff hundreds of times, it is exhausting. I am willing to do what is necessary but I think for those tha have been unemployed long-term and have been applying thee is a point where it gets harder and harder to do it. I know depression is a part of it, but when the experts and people who have not been unemployed long-term talk they really don't get it. The worst part is how now it seems for minimum wage jobs, no benefits, the hiring process still expects the best and goes through information that is nonessential. I know it costs to train and lose people who do not work out, but I think this is out of hand.

Thanks for sharing and I agree. I know the right thing to say is keep applying, but you know that. Wishing you the best.

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tawanda Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:27 pm

A question I've gotten (what seems like a TON of times) is "do you have applications open with other places? Where?"

My response is that I name the few that I can actually remember but then say that I've applied to so many that it's difficult to remember them all. Honestly, who remembers this and why does it matter? I need a job, that's why we're all here.

And yes, the essays where we must "list a time where you provided superior customer service" are difficult to complete. Not because I haven't provided superior customer service, it's just that it takes so much time to write something like that up!

Of course, in the time I've spent venting today, I could've likely filled out 5 of those sections. LOL. *sigh*

Tawanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Tawanda Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Just got rejected after a lengthy background process. It very well could've been me forming an opinion and posting it somewhere (here) that jacked me. I'm honestly not sure WHAT it takes to get a job anymore. I've literally put it all out there for judgment and I'm still not good enough. I didn't even get a personal phone call, just a general email. I just called the supervisor yesterday to "touch base" and she sounded weird and less engaging. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do anymore.

I'm not supposed to have any opinions, form any independent thoughts, have an actual criminal history? I dunno. I'm amazed at who gets jobs (or keeps them) these days...

Tawanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurtin@home Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Fact is employers get the pick of the litter these days. I guess they figure it's payback for all the years employees jumped ship regularly to advance themselves in some way or another. I wish I had some words of encouragement for you but I don't ATM. Try to hang in there, keep searching you will prevail!

This will not go on forever. Americans are impatient Tawanda just keep your fingers crossed that when Obama gets re elected he comes to the conclusion that if he doesn't push with everything he has change will not come.

If I were Obama, I would roll up my sleeves and say, I am the first African American president. I am going to do anything and everything I can to help this country. I don't care if you don't like me or my policies but I will not go down without doing my very best! He is a fantastic speaker but not forceful enough for these congress punks. He needs to bring it to the people and ask for their help. Stop pacifying congress and break his foot off in their a**es!

I am quite interested in his state of the union tonight. As we all are. He has been trying to do it as a country, as a people, I get it. He tried it it didn't work. Time to just do it, alone if necessary. This second term will dictate how he will go down in the books. I hope he comes out as a champion and not a diss appointment.

There is no other worthy candidate out there. Republicans simply want more of the same ol same ol. We need Obama to be strong!

Sry for my ranting. I've been watching state of the union info all
day. It's getting the better of me...

Hang in there Tawanda keep fighting, scratching, and clawing! Failure is not an option.

Hurtin@home

Back to top Go down

Post by superstevies Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:29 pm

I couldn't agree more with WHAT THE FREAK does it take to get a job anymore. In California it's this over & over.
* Must speak Spanish
* Must be currently working or unemployed less than 3 mnths.
* Do not come into stores..all hiring done from website
* Take a 1 hr long survey, then fill out background then Nothing
* Do not call to follow up, if they are interested you will get called
* Jobfair's joke...thosands of people they say they are hiring then most don't want to talk to you, and they say they are just collecting the resumes not the hiring person...when the job fair says hiring on the spot.
* If you fill out application on line in the past for a job and then try to re apply for one later it says you already have an application on hand and were not chosen for interview process.
* Look like a super model but thats hard, Ive gained weight during the 2 + years unemployed and my clothes no longer fit, and can't afford to go buy a suit and the Salvation army doesn't have any becuase all the people in my same situation have already got them.
* People who are employed have not had to go through any of this and when you say they don't want you to go into the stores they say do it any way...and I have and they say the same thing over and over ...NOT HIRING IN THE STORES....do it online.
* The few intervies I have had and they were nice enough to follow up with me have told me point blank that while I was qualified, they chose a candidate with a more current work history.

I AM SO OVER WHELMED I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE.

Plus I think President Obama doesn't care about helping the 99'ers and is not worried about us not voting for him because he knows that the GOP is not going to do anything for us either. So it's like the Democrats are the lesser of the evils and they know that.

Tawanda,PHjohan,Wasa...I feel ya. It sucks. The worst thing is that I think there are Company's out there hiring they just are not hiring the LONG TERM UNEMPLOYED...We are all LAZY, DRUGGIE, ChECK COLLECTING THEIVES in their eyes just as FOX News and Congress makes us out to be.
superstevies
superstevies

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurtin@home Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Ther has also been the theory that hr personnel are dragging out the whole process in order to look productive and remain in their jobs and working. Not sure if that's the case but I've heard it personally from a hr friend so I can not discredit that. Fact is when you receive hundreds or thousands of applications someone will not get the job.

Hurtin@home

Back to top Go down

Post by DD Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello All,

As I've stated in another thread, I wonder if all these people who are supposedly doing the hiring, etc. would ever be able to survive we we have all gone through....my guess is absolutely not!
Yes, I am currently working, but only part time and it has been that way for way too long....job sharing sucks!! It's still a job and between that and the partial UC benefits, has helped, but enough already!!
We all need and deserve these opportunities, more so than others, because we want it MORE!
I'd love to see anyone in Congress try to deal with what we've dealt with....all I can say is for those who are working full time and have some stability....never take it for granted, as it could be wiped away in a heartbeat....if we all had full time jobs, we could have our stability back as well....I sure won't be taking that for granted again.
Hang in there everyone, I think about all of you alot:)
DD

DD

Back to top Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 7 Empty After all that and it came down to 1 person...

Post by Tawanda Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:29 pm

So. After a interview, polygraph, ride alone, psych eval and subsequent very intrusive background investigation that started in October for Animal Control, I'm out. I've been on guard and self editing in nearly EVERY ASPECT in order to not screw this up because I was under such scrutiny.

I think it came down to 1 person, my last employer at a seasonal position this last summer. I had ALL excellent references (personal and professional). These people talked to my parents, my brother, my friends... I'd never felt so exposed and not in control of the information surrounding me and my life. I was confronted over forgetting 2 traffic tickets from 17 and 18 years ago. Yes, I truly forgot! I have a total of 4 traffic tickets in my entire adult life and I'm 39. I'm not a piece of crap. I don't have a criminal history. I'm a good person.

I have an excellent work history. I have excellent credit that I brought back from the brink from years ago when I made a series of bad financial decisions while in a bad relationship. It happens and I fixed it and I am forced to explain that over and over every time they ask. It doesn't matter that the bankruptcy is now actually not supposed to count against me, they ask "have you EVER filed..."

I work my butt off and I'm loyal. Yet, after a massively long process that was WAY over the top for an animal control position with a PD, I was eliminated b/c of a supposed negative "fairly recent" employment reference. I contacted every employer I've had (that is still around) from 2000 on. That means, 2005 til now since 2 companies are no longer in business (nothing I can control). My former employers said it wasn't them and that they just verify the basics.
6+
Now that I've calmed down... I think it likely came down to "would you hire her again" and this person, my former supervisor (for a seasonal position) who OFFERED to be a reference for me, said "no" for some reason. Clearly, my biggest mistake was in giving her desk phone as a contact #. I won't make that same mistake again. I'll just give HR's. I don't know for sure it was this employer (pretty good idea though) or to be true because this person won't answer my inquiry stating my concern at this reference that essentially cost me a job that the new supervisor acted like I had in the bag... until this negative reference. I contacted both her and HR to try and get some sort of resolution. I need for this to not hang over me. I got nothing but the essential bureaucratic non answer.

Anyway, I now have to figure out how to circumvent. I really needed this job and now I have a snake out there screwing with my future. Uncool.

People who would this are truly evil, especially with the environment being as it is.

I'm just so very over it.

Tawanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next