Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Unemployment burnout - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Unemployment burnout

+27
Judi58
mscpateach
Tamy70
couth11
suri
Tawanda
lendmeflight2
wausauguy
MissRi
Arania
endlessPAIN
irishmalou
helpinghand
NY Lady
JoanB
delko
americatheneedy
js123
Sunrise
superstevies
rainer123
nfpexec
laine25
lizalphonso
503Depressed
Jobless_in_Ma
phjohan
31 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 6 Empty Unemployment burnout

Post by phjohan Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:28 am

First topic message reminder :

The title says the symptom and there appears no help for recovery. There is help for AA, drugs, gamblers, however not for job seekers burnout. Even the career center appears ignorant to the problem. What do you think? No

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 6 Empty Re: Unemployment burnout

Post by wausauguy Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Judi58 I hope things get better. I can only imagine the hurt.

They say writing helps, so please keep posting. I feel the sincerity of the posters here is so helpful in my own situation because some of the situations are so much like mine.

couth11 My dad is home but not well. I guess he was told it is a matter of days or months. It is never a good time for illness, but it just adds to how it seems like things are pretty bad all around.

John

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Judi 58 you're friend is NO friend at all and I would tell her so and then tell her I never want to speak with her again. Anyone who would hire someone else over you in your situation is a self'centered (fill in the blank yourself).
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 am

wausauguy wrote:couth11 I agree about the online applications. I realize I should be happy to do all the work filling out the online applications, but doing it over and over and each seems to want extra information.

Lately I have noticed that they want detailed information on unemployment collected. As if they would not already s gap in employment history. It is downright mean that they want me to detail my weeks of unemployment.

Human Resources needs to be renamed, more like inhumane. As I write this I feel bad about the negative I am writing about. Still, this is the harsh reality. I took college courses in HR, and the professors and HR theory are mean spirited and this is where many managers learn.

When I started taking night courses in HR I had this idea it was about helping people grow in their jobs, well the company I worked for was in hard times in the most of the 1990's. I watched how the best were leaving or even let go. So I got out in 2003, landed a job with a company I wanted to work for since I was a kid and toured the building. The dream turned into a nightmare, after 5 years and a 3rd boss I was made to feel worthless on the job, and I should not take it personally as the economy was the issue, long story, but my accounts were more difficult. Then I got to experience the being let go first hand in 2009 at a much bigger company.

I bet they never took or passed those questionaires. A lot of the questions are geared toward young people who have recently taken geometry,calculus SAT, etc. and the mathematical formulas are still fresh in their minds. It is a great way to discriminate against older workers without getting caught.

I'm sorry you had to feel the sting of devaluation and unemployment. I do think human resources has a lot to answer for.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:01 am

@john (MaryKay, too)
I'm really sorry about your dad. Maybe not working right now is sort of a weird gift of time to allow you to be there for your dads (It would be a much better gift if you didn't have all the other worries...).
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:15 am

phjohan wrote:The title says the symptom and there appears no help for recovery. There is help for AA, drugs, gamblers, however not for job seekers burnout. Even the career center appears ignorant to the problem. What do you think? No

I think we are what we have Smile Hanging in there is hard, and sometimes it's impossible. Keep posting, and tweet your legislators, Dave Camp, the Ways&Means Committee, and anyone else you can think of to help get HR589 into existence until jobs are created. In the meantime, the best we can all do is keep knocking on doors until one opens. Read through the posts on this site- you'll find a lot of kindred spirits.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:00 am

I'm so tired. I have no more fight left in me and I am a tough NY girl but this recession has sucked the life out of me. I dont want to say it out loud but i dont see any job coming along anytime soon. Its been 2 1/2 years. How did that happen? Is it age, bad credit report, being a 99er WHAT? I've exhausted all resources, borrowed from everyone, lost most of everything including my pride and self esteem. I feel like nothing, a total zero, non-productive person. I sleep till 11, up to 3 or 4 am tossing and turning. I get up, check for messages, read job postings, never go out unless absolutely necessary. I dont see anyone, dont talk to anyone. I fully expect to look in the mirror one day and see no reflection. I am fading away, becoming irrelevant. How will i ever recover. I dont think i can anymore. I dont think there is hope. I've tried to put a positive spin on this but I can't. It's delusional. I'm fooling myself. I feel so sad, depressed, lonely. I can't describe the depths of my unhappiness. I'll never work again. How will I live?
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:16 am

Dear nfpexec...I have the same feelings. You are not alone. Although I have not been out of work as long as you have, I can relate to you. I've been looking for a job since January of 2010. I have trouble sleeping and feel very stressed out. The thing that keeps me going is volunteer work as it gets me out. Also I try to help MaryKay out by emailing and calling and faxing. I try to keep busy and not focus on myself. These are difficult times. But in between looking for a job, try to keep yourself busy. Maybe it would help to talk to someone too. There are resources in communities and they are free. I do know I will have to apply for food stamps, something I've never done. But help is out there and I can only wish you all the best. My prayers for you...
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:57 am

nfpexec wrote:I'm so tired. I have no more fight left in me and I am a tough NY girl but this recession has sucked the life out of me. I dont want to say it out loud but i dont see any job coming along anytime soon. Its been 2 1/2 years. How did that happen? Is it age, bad credit report, being a 99er WHAT? I've exhausted all resources, borrowed from everyone, lost most of everything including my pride and self esteem. I feel like nothing, a total zero, non-productive person. I sleep till 11, up to 3 or 4 am tossing and turning. I get up, check for messages, read job postings, never go out unless absolutely necessary. I dont see anyone, dont talk to anyone. I fully expect to look in the mirror one day and see no reflection. I am fading away, becoming irrelevant. How will i ever recover. I dont think i can anymore. I dont think there is hope. I've tried to put a positive spin on this but I can't. It's delusional. I'm fooling myself. I feel so sad, depressed, lonely. I can't describe the depths of my unhappiness. I'll never work again. How will I live?

You sound a lot like me. Rolling Eyes You can keep going, because you have to. Spend a bit each day contacting your reps, and anyone else you can think of to support HR589 and job creation (now, not when they decide to make time for it). It is our one chance to keep a roof over our head while jobs are created. We have to be heard. The powers that be are wrong about the unemployment rate, and we have to make this very clear to them.
Sign MaryKay's letter, sign the petitions, make one of your own, if you like and share your story! Somewhere on here there is a link to a caucus that wants everyone's stories. Use! We have to use whatever resources we can get our hands on. In our case, this really is all about survival and making ourselves heard.

There are resources for homelessness, too. Every area is different. Keep posting and keep talking to people, here. Even if you are economically housebound (are you safe?) This is a great place to spend some time, and share ideas. Learn to tweet! I learned this here, and it is an amazing tool. Remember you aren't alone, and you are still a person-a living breathing person.
Please, just take a breather and see what other people have written. And respond if you feel like it.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Volunteer work is good too. It gets you out and I find if I do it it makes me feel better. I volunteered at a local science museum and did it for a couple of months. Found a job and my new employer admired fact I did do some volunteer work. It's something to put on a resume and you can learn some new skills.
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:04 pm

I can relate to so much of this. I too am disgusted that I as a long time taxpayer can't get help though if I did things morally wrong and popped out kids without being married I'd have it great. I then could go and get job training to boot. I have friends who did this and they aren't in debt while I am.

But because I am a single woman with a college degree I am screwed. Job training isn't something I am eligible to do. I know because I called the various job training programs and degreed people can't get in, except perhaps for computer skills. Since I was a computer trainer seems stupid to do that.

I've considered going back to college but for what? I considered teaching since that would take me a year with my background but I know teachers unemployed years. I might try medical but I really don't have the inclination towards that. I've called places offering my services for free but no responses. The retail chains reject me for being overqualified and other low wage jobs tell me my skills are outdated.

Networking is a joke. All I've encountered on Linked-In have been either people in the same boat as me or nasty people making fun of the unemployed. I've gone to networking events and it's been people like me unemployed. I go to job fairs and all that are there are scam companies like insurance, low wage jobs, and jobs I don't qualify for with my skills.

Then when I get an interview I usually have to sit through instrusive questions like am I married or have kids or plan to, if I have any ailments, my ethnic background and of course my age. I've had so many employers abruptly ask my age and a few others tell me they prefer someone who keeps up with "trends", ie someone just out of college. I tell them that I keep up with trends and though I am 40 I am very youthful. Btw, you would never know I was 40 if you met me.

I am beyond frustrated and don't know what to do anymore. I did everything right from getting good grades to meeting contacts, to getting many skills. For what? I've been unemployed 3 1/2 years with a Masters degree. When I get an interview I just assume they won't hire me anyway.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:12 pm

couth11 wrote:Does any one else grit there teeth when they are asked to submit their resume online AND fill out a form asking for almost the same information that is on your resume. Not to mention the bizarre questionnaires.

I have seen some that are just wasteful. One test involved preferences. I could only choose between the primary colors (I don't have a preference among those. I happen to like purple, and shades thereof- does that disqualify me? ). There was also a shape preference question. One asked how often I stole from employers.

One (and this was for a general office clerk position (non accounting) asked questions involving geometric and algebraic formulas, some calculus, etc. I did fine on the algebra, but usually people in my age range haven't taken these courses in years, and this is a good way to rule out older people. I couldn't remember the geometric formulas, unfortunately.

IMO, there is a serious problem with human resources if employment is dependent upon any of these silly games. Also- any job hunter who needs to rely on the internet at the library or a workforce center has 20-60 minutes to job hunt, network and conduct business in. They have to spend money to get there. They cannot afford for their time to be wasted.

Back in 2006 (when I had a job)I had a test that consisted of those math questions. I asked them why and they said they wanted "math" people. Great, but this was a writing position and math people usually aren't writing. Then there was a test I took on this for a retail management position. I stink at math and I failed.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:32 pm

It doesn't matter New Wave, they are just gonna hire the hot blond anyway, whether or not she can read and write is irrlevant.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:41 pm

Very true, which is why I am getting back into shape. I used my looks a lot in the past and seems that's what I have to do now.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:21 pm

New_Wave_Princess I wish there was something comforting to say. I can relate on the doing the "right" things, I have a college degree (not masters) and did it with no grants, night school while working. What good is it now after losing my job after over 20 years of steady full time plus employment.

Sometimes I feel I would describe myself as frustrated, and other times a bit of downright anger comes in. What good are all the programs we are required to pay into, if they are only good for people with kids and such. Funny because singles pay in more, but get nothing.

It seems there is a ongoing concern for "families".... "families find high cost of gas... food.. blah blah blah... as if single people don't deal with the high costs or being unemployed or taking low wage jobs?

All I can offer is that I can relate and am sure that many others can as well.

Hang in there.

John

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:33 am

Couth and all I have meant to message here and just let you know my dad passed away June 30th. Thank you for the kind words and at least I had freedom to be there and be able to participate in arrangements, I had some fear that I would start a job and then not be able to take off for funeral, picking up family at airport and such. But, I really need a job, not just for money but to feel like I am contributing, to get rid of the fears of being destitute.

Anyway, I need to go. Thanks for listening as always.

John

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:28 am

wausauguy wrote:Couth and all I have meant to message here and just let you know my dad passed away June 30th. Thank you for the kind words and at least I had freedom to be there and be able to participate in arrangements, I had some fear that I would start a job and then not be able to take off for funeral, picking up family at airport and such. But, I really need a job, not just for money but to feel like I am contributing, to get rid of the fears of being destitute.

Anyway, I need to go. Thanks for listening as always.

John

John,

I am so sorry for your loss, and so glad the two of you were able to spend time together at the end. A funny thing, when I was taking care of my mother, we became very good friends with one of her hospital roommates. Her oldest son couldn't find a job for the longest time. Not long after our mothers passed, and he settled her estate, he got a job offer. I hope the same for you. My thoughts are with you.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:20 am

John, so sorry for your loss. You were a good man to him and should have many good memories. Please take care and keep posting. Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:39 pm

I should be thnkfol. I had an interview for a challenging job, right? The thing is it would be management beyond my experience and the bigger issue....no health insurarance, and not even 401k. I will take the job if offered the opportunity.

But, the worry of no health insurance is big for me.

Also, the job is over 20 miles from my home, my car is over 11 years old. It is very odd how while I live in the biggest city for nearly 200 miles it seems the opportunities and job postings are for the smaller communities. My city is small in the scheme of cities at under 40,000 but my last temp job was basically in an unincorporated township. Something is very messed up with where my city is shoving money if we have no jobs, but yet one of the highest property taxes in the state.

I am glad this last week is basically over, it was the first that I had no company since my dad's death and while at first I was happy to not have to take people anywhere or just relax without doing something with someone it also leaves me feeling things just are not right, I mean everything...everybody is going there way...and my dad is gone.

Thanks as always for listening.

John

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:13 pm

wausauguy wrote:I should be thnkfol. I had an interview for a challenging job, right? The thing is it would be management beyond my experience and the bigger issue....no health insurarance, and not even 401k. I will take the job if offered the opportunity.

But, the worry of no health insurance is big for me.

Also, the job is over 20 miles from my home, my car is over 11 years old. It is very odd how while I live in the biggest city for nearly 200 miles it seems the opportunities and job postings are for the smaller communities. My city is small in the scheme of cities at under 40,000 but my last temp job was basically in an unincorporated township. Something is very messed up with where my city is shoving money if we have no jobs, but yet one of the highest property taxes in the state.

I am glad this last week is basically over, it was the first that I had no company since my dad's death and while at first I was happy to not have to take people anywhere or just relax without doing something with someone it also leaves me feeling things just are not right, I mean everything...everybody is going there way...and my dad is gone.

Thanks as always for listening.

John

John,
So sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through, as my parents were the biggest supporters for my husband and me through all the tough times. Now when we need them the most, they are gone. We get no support from my in-laws. As you said, everyone goes about their own business and we feel left out. If it is any comfort, we have been without health insurance for 7 years now and the stress builds every day. We live in a small rural area and most of the job postings are for 30-40 miles away in the the big city. Train travel is expensive. Furthermore, even if we were lucky to get a job (age discrimination is a factor) paying 8.00-10.00 an hour, with the commutation cost and price of gas, what would we have left over to pay our bills? I wish you luck on your job prospect.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:40 pm

John, saying a prayer for you. So sorry about your Dad. The first couple of weeks are hard. But that's natural and means you loved him and are a good person. I still have moments over my Mom and it's been three years. I saw a woman at Christmas when I was doing some shopping for my daughter in law who had just found a job, she was wearing a red pea coat and had short gray hair and kind of did the shuffle rather than walk. I actually had to leave the mall and go to the car and have a good cry. It just hits you at certain times.

We are all here for you, just log on or send a pm. We all understand and can be your new family. We will never take your Dad's place but we are here for you. Share your good memories. It feel great. Sending you love and a hug.

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:58 pm

I am having a hard time putting my thoughts to words. I am overwhelmed, there is just too much to worry about. Now my mom is hospitalized.

I applied for a couple full=time and a few partitime jobs last week, but I can't express how draining it is. To hunt and hunt for jobs to apple to, to fill out lengthy online applications. Some askind for so much information, like any traffic offenses, not just from last 5 years, but ever. What would traffic offenses have to do with hiring? Employers now use credit reports...and the list goes on. I feel the whole job hunting process has turned into a way to only further depress me.

I am having a hard time functioning, I have to force myself out of bed.

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi wausaugay

Im sorry you are having a hard time. You are not alone. I'm also sorry about your mom Crying or Very sad

My husband is having a harder time than usual as well. He becomes more and more discouraged and depressed everyday. I hate watching him, or anyone else, have to go through this. Its heart breaking.

I know its hard to believe, but things will get better. When? I wish I knew, but I have faith that it will. I found a min. wage job at a rest home, no benefits, and the hours vary....never thought I would even get a job.

Hang in there, please? As always, please know we are here for you. I am praying for better days for you and for your mom. Praying

* I just read back a bit and wanted to add that I am sorry for the loss of your father. My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family.

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:19 am

Sick&Tired Thank you for the kind words. Your post is a perfect re4sponse.

As I look back on yesterday I feel ashamed of being so woe is me. Violence in London, starving in Africa and so much more all over, I really have alot to be thankful for. Still, I wish I felt more energetic.

My mom is home. she seems to be ok, but she was kept overnight until Mon evening. But, they have her now on 5 medications so I am concerned.

The sun is shining, the sky is blue, and I am nibbling on some hand picked blueberries so I am doing well. Smile

John

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:54 am

John,

Hope that your Mom continues to improve. I really cannot say more than what Sick & Tired has posted. She said what I and many other feel. Hang in there!

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:52 am

I have to pick myself up again. I should be happy, having at least received notice but it still hurts. I knew i really wanted the one job so bad, but I thought I had not become attached to it too much, well I guess I did. It is so hard. From my friends point of view I was beyond what was needd for the job, but I am starting to tell people, you know I am ready and desperate.

Little things are really very frustrating, I know I have to allow myself some slack, but I want to stay posiive and not be set off by little things like politics and even the focus on weather and such.

I find it so hard to keep applying for jobs to just be turned down or not even receive a response. ANd, the constant comments from know it alls on how to get a job, that unemployed need to be more willing to work... blah blah blah... I am applying for jobs that would not even pay the bills in 1975...and cannot even land them.

I keep tellilng myself that I will get a job... I guess I have to just keep the faith.

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next