Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Frustrated - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Frustrated

+7
invisiblecitizen
zphtar
MarilynL
Jobless_in_Ma
snday
elvis44102
Sierraman
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Frustrated - Page 2 Empty Frustrated

Post by Sierraman Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

WHAT THEN HELL DOES IT TAKE? HONESTLY!! I am just an 18 year old College student who just wants to work, I have tried every place in my area, everywhere, have had countless interviews, every advice, And here I am unemployed, while everybody else I know has a job! I am down on my luck and I don't know what to fricking do, WHAT DOES IT TAKE?

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Frustrated - Page 2 Empty Re: Frustrated

Post by MarilynL Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Sierraman wrote:I forgot to explain my dream part, my dream has been to work in the film industry and invisiblecitizen, with all due respect, I do not wish for this thread to become political. I really could care less about politics.

Well the film industry is not going to go away...so sounds good to me...but you may have to work locally in your town until your dream starts to happen....Do you have a local broadcast station in your town, or surrounding towns. If so...go visit with them...tell them that you will do anything, even clean their bathrooms, or get them coffee or lunch everyday...to expose yourself to the familiarities of their job. Even if you have to volunteer for awhile...if you are serioius, and they see that they might let you join their staff, even if you have to start from the bottom up.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Springflowers Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:06 pm

See if you have any relatives or friends who can get you into their business. Most everything out there is done by nepotism. Turn over every rock.

Ask why they didn't hire you and then mildly hint that you are worried you are being discriminated against....[hmmmm]

The resume crap doesn't work. I consider resume's like toilet paper, after my own job searches and seeing husbands. Directly call those who hire and the businesses and ask for work.Even if you make a few mad, the direct way works better.

if you are 18 and deseperate, Job Corps is an option and or Americorps.

Springflowers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Sierraman wrote:I forgot to explain my dream part, my dream has been to work in the film industry and invisiblecitizen, with all due respect, I do not wish for this thread to become political. I really could care less about politics.

I understand where your coming from, we like people to stay away from being "too" political because it usually ends up in an argument. However I must say, politics IS involved at the core in a big way with the unemployment epidemic. Whether we like it or not. It shouldn't be, but sadly it is.

Great advice from folks! We like to see people engaging.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:40 pm

Soooooo Sierraman - you could care less. Its ostrich's like you that are a big part of the problem. You are clueless and hopeless. Now, go stick your head back in the sand like a tempermental little kid.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:02 am

invisiblecitizen wrote:Soooooo Sierraman - you could care less. Its ostrich's like you that are a big part of the problem. You are clueless and hopeless. Now, go stick your head back in the sand like a tempermental little kid.

Invisiblecitizen: Very Uncalledfor... We don't need your remarks as well. Sierraman is down enough and young...he doesn't need your idiot remarks!

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:01 am

Don't want to start a cat fight, but he is down because of the unfair policies that are making it hard for people to live a decent life. Every day, more and more good and innocent people are being pulled into the black hole with no way out. People voting in ignorance won't solve the robbery that continues every day.

Ok. No more of my idiot remarks.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:49 pm

MarilynL wrote:
invisiblecitizen wrote:Soooooo Sierraman - you could care less. Its ostrich's like you that are a big part of the problem. You are clueless and hopeless. Now, go stick your head back in the sand like a tempermental little kid.

Invisiblecitizen: Very Uncalledfor... We don't need your remarks as well. Sierraman is down enough and young...he doesn't need your idiot remarks!

Please all, let's not give them all what they want and start turning on each other. We all have differing opinions on many things, but needing jobs and help isn't one of them. Frustrated - Page 2 34243

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:31 pm

Feel bad for the young kid...I'm sure he won't be back...

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 am

I sent him a message, I hope he will continue to post.

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:15 pm

I am still here! :0

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:43 pm

I post my resumes on three different jobsites....indeed.com seems to link some together...

I have an automated job search on the indeed.com site and once a week I post resumes to jobs available...

I get maybe five phone calls a week from recruiters (although sometimes 2-3 are looking from different agency's for the same actual job)

very IMPORTANT i rewrite my resume frequently (slightly) and re post it so search engines will put it near the top of the list..

I use Craigslist and get responses/interviews from them

I have had several interviews that i feel would have hired me (but i am too old, another issue)

i have had contracts that consisted of phone interviews only (were the age issue is not apparent, and gotten small contract jobs)

While looking on Craigslist i have seen jobs that needed people for things such as yard maintenance work, roofing etc that really need someone younger than me...

i have a friend who gets carpentry side jobs from Craigslist every other week or so...
(it brings in money)
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Great ideas elvis.

Sierraman, glad you are still with us.

invisible, you are not an idiot.

Pollyanna lecture over.

Hoping you are all well. (As well as we can be)

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:02 pm

I also forgot to add i live in California, We have been hit hard by the recession and although i live in a good part (Orange county, No, I am not a spoiled rich kid) it is been pretty tough out here.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Glad to see you back, seirraman. Cali was hit hard. Crying or Very sad

I remember seeing a special a while back, I think it was on 60 minutes, about silicon valley being hit hard by the recession. Lots of people lost everything they own. No matter where you are from, unless it's Nevada, people have been suffering from long term unemployment or have someone close to them that has.

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Sierraman wrote:I am still here! :0

Good to here! I wish we could help you more, but knowing that we're here...you can at least come to vent!

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:22 pm

Sierraman wrote:I also forgot to add i live in California, We have been hit hard by the recession and although i live in a good part (Orange county, No, I am not a spoiled rich kid) it is been pretty tough out here.

I lived in Orange County, a long time ago, I used to live in Inglewood...heard it wasn't a great place anymore, but also heard it has gotten better. Actually miss the weather quite a lot down there...Being in Massachusetts, now, I think of Orange County every time we have snow....HA!

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:30 pm

OK guys, I had an interview with a new dinner theater that's opening soon in my area and tomorrow, I have an interview with a new Chipotle restaurant. I feel that my odds are slowly improving.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:33 pm

Best of luck seirraman!!! im praying for you!

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Sierraman wrote:OK guys, I had an interview with a new dinner theater that's opening soon in my area and tomorrow, I have an interview with a new Chipotle restaurant. I feel that my odds are slowly improving.

Good Luck!!! Hope it all turns out well for you!!

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:57 am

I know this is a venting forum! But what happens if i get in a situation where i have two job offers? How would i make that decision?

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 am

HAH! You have choices: Take the one you would be most happy at, or take the one that pays more, or take the one that's going to help you in the future..
Hopefully the one that you do take will provide all three...but we always have to sacrifice something unfortunately.
I would say "yes" to the place that calls you first...don't hold out , because the other place may not call at all. Remember whatever job you take, you can still look for other jobs while you are working there. And if the place you would prefer calls second, then you would have to make one of the decisions above, even if that means calling back the first place, and telling them you received a better job offer. Nothing wrong with that at all.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:07 am

I also just recently put a big thing i left out of my resume. I previously volunteered at a day camp and i got a presidential volunteer service award. I don't know if this is really a huge accolade, but do you guys think this is something employers are looking for?

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Most definitely!! At the end of your resume, just list your volunteering services, such as:

VOLUNTEERING SERVICES

Your position at the camp, and describe it.
Then add that you received an award while there.

If you do the job search engines, like Monster, or Indeed, there is a place where you can add this information, in the your profile.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Ok guys, I just had my interview at Chipotle and they said since they are a new location, they are hiring right away so i should expect an e-mail today or tomorrow, i also made sure to send a thank you letter. fingers crossed. I'll let you all know what happens.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:52 am

Sierraman wrote:Ok guys, I just had my interview at Chipotle and they said since they are a new location, they are hiring right away so i should expect an e-mail today or tomorrow, i also made sure to send a thank you letter. fingers crossed. I'll let you all know what happens.

Good luck...will be waiting to hear!

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next