Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
The Latest Garbage EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
The Latest Garbage EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
The Latest Garbage EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
The Latest Garbage EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
The Latest Garbage EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
The Latest Garbage EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
The Latest Garbage EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
The Latest Garbage EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
The Latest Garbage EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
The Latest Garbage EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
The Latest Garbage EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
The Latest Garbage EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
The Latest Garbage EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
The Latest Garbage EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
The Latest Garbage EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

The Latest Garbage

+5
wausauguy
LRS
jculp49
elvis44102
Marian
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Latest Garbage Empty The Latest Garbage

Post by Marian Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:25 pm

A Republican Congress person is stipulating that the unemployed should volunteer for 20 hours or more a week unpaid at some work place to receive benefits! Excuse me? Are we now slaves? This is dehumanizing!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/10/unemployment-senate-republicans-richard-burr_n_1269214.html?1328912139&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

The Latest Garbage Empty Re: The Latest Garbage

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 pm

I agree. This is bullshit. So ugly.

Thanks Marian.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:32 pm

It's cruel!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:46 pm

I'd volunteer 20hrs of work in Congress, as a Congressperson to show them how its done and give them some pointers
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:50 pm

I wish that you would! LOL!

Did you see the latest from Newt? He says that giving 99 weeks of UI benefits to the unemployed is wrong because it takes away the right of the unemployed to pursue happiness because they then stay home all day. What? What an IDIOT!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:41 am

Newt should have stayed home a little more, maybe it would have saved him a marrage or two... wrecklace eyeballing on the job

I would be laughing out loud completely at the republican nominees as they fall all overthemselves trying to woo the "conservative base"
except that we already elected one near moron in the form of G.Bush jr...
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:47 am

They are so disgusting!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by jculp49 Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Volunteer 20 hrs...I think our congressmen should volunteer 20 hours at homeless shelters and soup kitchens. They have more spare time then we do!! bluh
jculp49
jculp49

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 pm

Exactly! They only worked six days in the entire month of January and they are VERY well paid--for doing NOTHING!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:46 pm

Uh, if I'm volunteering 20 hours a week (or more), isn't that taking away from time I could be looking for work?

We are going backwards in this country on SO many levels! Evil or Very Mad

LRS

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:04 pm

LRS wrote:Uh, if I'm volunteering 20 hours a week (or more), isn't that taking away from time I could be looking for work?

We are going backwards in this country on SO many levels! Evil or Very Mad

Exactly!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:48 pm

I have volunteered "on my own" but I do not agree with it being required. I volunteered to help because I had the time... but after a while it is also to just get out. Right when I was layed off it was very hard and truly could not stay home, I almost immediately found things to do each and every day whether volunteering or attending programs and such. Now, after time has passed, I am sure it is in part due to depression but nothing feels as good anymore. I have been out of work so long.. every little job I have had has just been short term for 3 years now.

There are so many stereotypes that are being fed regarding the unemployed. If only someone who had some power to say enough is enough... START the F****** hiring.... NO MORE OVERTIME until unemployment is below 5%. Also, in times of nearly 25% unemployment (which is the real rate) it is time to push for shorter work weeks and get more people working.

Sorry if I am so blunt, but I am so upset about how social workers, economic experts, human resource people, politiicians make it seem like the unemployment problem is with the unemployed. Do I not feel crappy enough already????? ANyone who wants to help needs to drop their statistics, their preconceptions, their degrees, their textbook learning, and start helping people out by giving them a chance with a JOB.

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:59 pm

I totally agree! I've been looking for a part time position though can't find it! I'm a preschool teacher and well educated and experienced. Finding a morning Lead Teacher position with benefits should not be this challenging...
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:44 pm

The whole point of reason they were suggesting the above is the real fear of the following:

1) being out of the workplace and work force to long makes you less likely to be employed.

2) staying in the work environment is good for mental health and networking to get a job.

3) if there are no jobs out there as we all have complained about then this is better then getting rejected all the time or repeating a process that obviously isn't working.

I find nothing wrong with this, please explain how this is negative.

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:56 pm

by tristen303 Today at 5:44 pm

.The whole point of reason they were suggesting the above is the real fear of the following:

1) being out of the workplace and work force to long makes you less likely to be employed.

2) staying in the work environment is good for mental health and networking to get a job.

3) if there are no jobs out there as we all have complained about then this is better then getting rejected all the time or repeating a process that obviously isn't working.

I find nothing wrong with this, please explain how this is negative. .

We have members who "Volunteer" their time for many of the reasons you sugest, many valid GOOD reasons.....

What Wrong id that it is a "Volunteer" position not mandatory...there is a "choice" involved here...

Roe vs Wade involves the "choice" of an abortion...in much the same manner

Most would not say they are in favor of abortion but they do value the "choice"...

AN of course this is from the Rpubs who say they want to keep government out of peoples lives..

Thats (2) quite valid reasons there...

The Republicans want MORE government involvement in peoples private lives and of courese a HUGE military
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Choice wtf that has nothing to do with this argument; point of fact the payment is to cover us to find gainful employment so were getting paid to find work.
If they volunteer as you stated then the above does nothing to hurt them but it makes their choice the standard.

As for the abortion argument....I usually find common ground on your posts but on this inference your reaching.

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:23 pm

""A bill introduced Thursday by Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) would also require claimants drawing benefits six months or longer to search for work at least 20 hours a week.""

I must admit i didnt read the article , but after reading it and finding the above quoted line...I am not sure what the proposal is?.

1) we have a works program for those over 55...the republicans cut funding last year for it

2) there is nothing at all wrong for people to be working at something that could concievably improve skills and land a paying job

3) this woul also be considered a corporate/citizen welfare joint venture.
4) Unions would likely be against such a joint proposal as corporations would have a tendency to abuse cheap labor

5) if a system could be established that kept competing interests from becoming abusive this could work...thats a big IF..

The abortion arguement wWAS a bit of a stretch, i agree

elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:35 am

Neither party has any plan; I don't think having companies take UE in a 20 hour a week capacity a bad idea, but if they do that they should then extend UE benefits to trigger off only when a certain percentage of UE is breached. They should also offer some incentives for hiring the long term UE and those over 55, that will never happen though.

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by lam Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Well in order for me to eat and receive food stamps I already volunteer 26 hours a month. I have not interest in volunteering more then what I do now. So in order for me to let unemployment benefits I need to volunteer more. PLEASE!!!!!! Just cover the benefits I have worked for over 25 to 30years and don't need to voluneer anymore.

lam

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Wow... i missed a key thing on the volunteering. I admit I have not been too on the ball lately. So, they want to "require" people to volunteer at workplaces to collect unemployment. This is just so wrong. I have done volunteering at church, county community programs etc all for nonprofits and such but companies should not be allowed to get free labor. I wonder how these politicians would feel if they were in our shoes.

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm feeling kind of sick about all of it... I'm on my last Tier before the EB and the President just sent in his budget which speaks about cutting the UI weeks... It's scary!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:54 pm

Marian, I wish I could offer something more than words, we need jobs, but I hear you and I can relate to feeling scared. I appreciate everyone here and their honest sharing.

It is so hard for me to act like things are ok when I am so tense. I find I am losing ground on being ok.

I personally think Obama is in a bad place, I mean he wants to convince the majority (who have jobs) that things are ok and we are not in an emergency situation with jobs, but those of us long-term unemployed know better. I am not putting Obama down, J am just saying I don't feel he is going to express concerns on unemployment or support programs that help unemployed becuase he thinks it makes him look bad. So so sad... we get to pay the price...

I so hope to soon have a job (with a myriad of new issues Smile. I have an interview in a little over a week...I don't want to dwell on it too much because I have not been so successful getting beyond the interview... but I sure hope it comes to be.

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:59 pm

Good luck with your interview!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:46 am

Personally I think this is a touchy subject. It seems that both sides of this have valid points. Getting out and into a real world enviornment is a positive thing on so many levels; however being required to do this for benefits does not sit well with me.
It seems once again the unemployed are being painted as "Lazy"
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by 503Depressed Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 am

I don't think congress should dictate anything, but then I do believe that if they make such requirements on us, then we should be able to cut their medical benefits, require them to work 40 hours a week, only take the few national holidays off and other such things.

Full-time Long-term Temp wageslave/Part-Time Caregiver....over-employed, yet barely holding on.
503Depressed
503Depressed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next