Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Not happy about this latest response to a resume EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Not happy about this latest response to a resume

2 posters

Go down

Not happy about this latest response to a resume Empty Not happy about this latest response to a resume

Post by 08pacollegegrad Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:08 pm

About two weeks ago, I applied to a position at a nonprofit organization that I thought was perfect for me. I had not heard anything back from the person accepting the resumes, so I decided I had nothing to lose and e-mailed her to follow up on my application.

She took about two days to answer me (I e-mailed Wednesday and she responded Friday), and she said she had my resume and would I be available to talk about the position late friday afternoon. Unfortunately, I was checking my e-mail from my phone on Friday, as I was planning to be out of town for the day. So obviously, I was unavailable for an interview.

I e-mailed her back and apologized, saying I appreciated her offer but I was not available that day. I asked if she had any time open on Monday.

About three hours later, she writes back again. But this time, it's an auto-response e-mail saying she's going to be out of the office all this coming week and will be back next Monday!

So basically, she didn't even have the courtesy to tell me herself she wasn't going to be around...and I get an auto-response e-mail instead!

The e-mail said who to contact if anyone has any questions about her department next week, but I don't know if I should e-mail the alternate contact. After all, it's likely that this person doesn't know anything about the position and won't be able to set up an interview.

I do still want the job, but I was kind of upset to only get an automated response when I was able to return the e-mail.

What would you do in this case? Should I try to contact the other person and see if they can help me out, or should I just wait for the hiring manager to return from her vacation?

08pacollegegrad

Back to top Go down

Not happy about this latest response to a resume Empty Re: Not happy about this latest response to a resume

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:34 pm

Maybe you should contact the alternate and ask it the position has been filled. I don't think they would be able to tell you much more than that.

As far as being available, unfortunately it is an employer's market and you have to be available when they want you.

Check in with organization just to let them know you are still interested.

Back to top Go down

Not happy about this latest response to a resume Empty Re: Not happy about this latest response to a resume

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:47 pm

I hate to sound mean-spirited here, but, what did you expect? First, you planned to be out of town for the day and you expected her to wait until you were ready for your interview?

I'm sorry, but, that's not how it works. Now, I feel for you and realize that you may feel inconvenienced, but, don't blame her for something that wasn't within her control.

What you should have done was either waited for the phone call/interview or at least waited until she returned from her leave of absence, whatever the case may be. Don't blame her for something that caused you to be out of town.

This may sound harsh but this wasn't the interviewers fault, it was something on your end that caused this disruption. I know that when I'm aware that someone is going to call me for a job interview or I know that I have a very important interview, that I make sure that I'm going to be home until I receive that phone call.

If a family emergency comes up, I would make it a point to call that person immediately to let the person know if I have an emergency where I'm going to be unavailable but it was your responsibility and I find it hard to see any blame on the part of your interviewer.

Back to top Go down

Post by 08pacollegegrad Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:59 pm

I guess I didn't clarify, but I planned to be out of town before I applied for the job. This was a pre-planned outing with some friends. By the time I heard back from her inviting me to an interview, it was too late for me to head home and change my plans.

By the time she got in touch with me, I was already out. We were making a stop before leaving, but the time I was asked to interview at was a time when our bus would already be on the road. I also found out about the leave of absenece the same day, so I couldn't plan ahead for that either.

08pacollegegrad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:04 pm

I am glad you clarified that...it makes more sense.
I would just email her as soon as she comes back to let her know you are still interested. explain to her what you just explained here and if the job is still open then hopefully she will reschedule the interview.
Good luck!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks for clarifying, collegegrad. But, I still backup my statement. You really shouldn't hold the interviewer to blame because she won't be available this next week. This was probably something that she had planned for, weeks in advance.

Considering that you're applying for the position, it's very easy to blame her for not rescheduling her but you still need to realize that you're working around your schedule and you can't hold her at fault because she's not going to be around this coming week when you're finally available.

I know that if I were applying for a position, that I wouldn't be placing the blame on the part of the employer/interviewer if I wouldn't be around on the day I was to receive a phone call for the interview. Always remember, whenever you're applying for any job, you are working around their schedule, not the other way around. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by 08pacollegegrad Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:20 am

Thanks for the feedback, even if it had to be a little harsh.

I just want everyone to know that I'm not trying to be ignorant on purpose. I just tend to fret about anything and everything, no matter how little, that could cost me a job. I will call the hiring manager back next week and apologize again. Once I thought about it, I realized that it is unlikely anyone will be hired since she is away this week anyway.

If I don't get the job, then it wasn't right for me somehow, I guess.

08pacollegegrad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:56 am

We don't think that at all. But, it's important to realize that job hunting and interviews have always been on the side of the employer. That's why I've always found it hard to understand how job applicants are often critical of an employer when a possible candidate blames them because an interviewee has changed his or her schedule.

Back to top Go down

Post by MoInSTL Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:48 am

08pacollegegrad it is an employer's market but some of their demands can be a little too much as we can't always be available. I would contact the alternate and CC the original person. Just keep it short and that you were not available at that time but are very interested. I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask to schedule it Monday. Not getting back to you until Friday afternoon is not much notice for a Friday afternoon discussion. You initiated the follow-up which is great but she took 2 days to reply. Based on what you said, if this is the way she handles things now, I wonder how she would be to work for. The phone and in-person interviews I have gotten have actually asked me my schedule and I always reply saying whatever is most convenient for them. But I always have time to have my resume and other notes as well as questions ready and mentally prepare.
MoInSTL
MoInSTL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum