Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Question about Craig List Jobs EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Question about Craig List Jobs

+5
laine25
ExhaustedinCA
unemployeddiva
New_Wave_Princess
Judi58
9 posters

Go down

Question about Craig List Jobs Empty Question about Craig List Jobs

Post by Judi58 Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:39 am

I have a friend who owns a company and need to hire a QC inspector with Mil Qual.. I am not qualified for the position (Bummer) but she has asked me about posting jobs on Craig’s list... Monster and Career Builder have raised the cost almost 3 fold for listings and for searching. (This could be why the postings are mostly agency's small companies may not be able to afford to post there anymore)

Has anyone had any positive experience in posting or answering posts on Craig’s List? Or negative? I told her I would post it for her but thought I would get some feedback from people who have used Craig’s list first.
PS this job is in So Cal San Fernando Valley Area…

You guys know me and this is not anything more then asking advise if Craigs List is a good idea..
Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Question about Craig List Jobs Empty Re: Question about Craig List Jobs

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi Judi! Despite what most people say about Craigslist.org - I find it the most useful site to search for jobs. Monster, Career Builder, Indeed, etc. have gone downhill, IMO. I see the same jobs posted day in and day out on there.

You get spammed with every job board, Craigslist isn't the only culprit. With one exception, every interview I have had in the three years I have been searching for a job has been from a resume I submitted to a Craigslist posting.

Your friend should post it on Craigslist. It is free and I'm sure there will be hundreds of legitimate, qualified applicants responding!

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Thank you.. I am going to post it for her and try to help someone get a job..
AND I wont put "Unemployed do not apply" or age a factor..

Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:42 pm

I did get one good interview from Craigslist: a marketing director position. The rest have been scams. The thing I hate about CL though is the companies that are discriminating and doing it openly. I've seen companies state "white only" to places asking for photos to asking age, etc.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployeddiva Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:09 pm

I've had the most success with Craigslist. Not to say I haven't encountered my fair share of scams.. but that's one of the only sites I've ever gotten an interview from.

unemployeddiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:18 pm

I think you could ask three people and get three different answers. I had big trouble with CL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:41 pm

I said earlier that just about the only success I've had is with craigslist.org. I have a very promising interview on Tuesday with a Fortune 500 company that advertised on craigslist. All the other job boards I've used end up being temp agencies or recruiters and lately, more and more spam from apps I've submitted through them.

Back to top Go down

Post by ExhaustedinCA Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:23 pm

I think Craigslist can be useful and helpful once you can sort through the real job postings vs. the scams. Which I must say can sometimes be very hard to tell the difference. So far I myself have not had any luck on CL. I have responded to a few job listings and everyone of them turned out to be some sort of scam. Saying take an I.Q. test or that they are away on Business in some other Country, yada yada yada!! yet their posting seemed so convincing.

I have heard of a few people getting lucky and finding work on there, I guess it's all about timing.

Oh and as for Monster, Career Builder etc. I agree that have really have went down hill, it seems like the only thing you find on there now is a bunch of survey sites, such a waste of time.

I wish everyone luck on whatever it is that gets them a job! because lord knows we all NEED one...

Oh and Good Luck Desp on the Interview on Tues!
ExhaustedinCA
ExhaustedinCA

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:23 pm

I've never had any luck with Craigslist. Did have someone contact me about a Nigerian scam so you have to be careful on the website. I don't like it because the company names are usually not listed.
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:33 pm

They are lame scams.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by mscpateach Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:37 pm

I've applied for several positions on CL and never heard a word. Don't know how to tell the scams from the legitimate job postings. Career Builders, Monster and Indeed are full of recruiters who are worst than those sleazy used car salesmen.IMO

mscpateach

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:42 pm

mscpateach wrote:I've applied for several positions on CL and never heard a word. Don't know how to tell the scams from the legitimate job postings. Career Builders, Monster and Indeed are full of recruiters who are worst than those sleazy used car salesmen.IMO

I had a recruiter call me last week for an $8 hour Data Entry Clerk job in Boston. I calculated what my net pay would be, then deducted what it would cost to travel to Providence every morning (20+ miles), pay to park at the train station ($10/day) and train fare into Boston daily. In the end, I would be paying money I don't have to go to work. On top of that, at least a 4 hour commute daily on top of the regular work day. Recruiter was a jerk and trying to take advantage IMO! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:40 am

I have friends whose companies have posted on CL, but they also don't want to give the name of the company or any location. When I asked them why no location, they replied that they didn't want people to guess and show up at the office. I said, guess, how's that work? They thought based on the job title, duties specific to the industry would probably give them away. Gee, I never thought of that, seems rather paranoid to me. Once, they posted their name (this was way back now) 400 people applied, many called constantly. Job did pay well though so that contributed to it for sure. CL is trying to weed out the scammers, but it has it's work cut out for it. I've never seen so many ways to try and make money off others looking for job.

Back to top Go down

Post by jchapman Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:02 pm

You just might get somewhere with craigslist, but there are alot of ripoffs. Ocasionally, you'll see somebody post a complaint warning others about a particular job posting. A common complaint is either getting short changed, some about not getting paid.
Now about monster.com & careerbuilder. These 2 are definitely in the pockets of these for-profit career colleges, alot of which are not acredited, meaning that, courses at these "institutions" will not transfer as credit to acredited colleges & universities, nor will they transfer to another career college. Nor is it likely that a "degree" from one of these colleges will help you get a job. In fact, they're actually ripping off the Pell Grant system. Usually when you apply to a job posted on monster or careerbuilder, let's face it, if the job is for real, there is a small chance that you will get it, but if you give your telephone number, it is very likely that you will get calls from college recruiters, & most often, the caller has a far eastern accent.
I believe this makes craigslist the least of the evils, but you have to use your judgment if it sounds too good to be true, Now about that white only thing, I bet it has an annonymous email address. Why don't you use it to tell that person what you think?

jchapman

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:57 pm

The one I am seeing the most on CL are the posts from legit companies asking for photos.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:05 pm

My personal rule is that I never apply for job on Craigslist if its a blind ad. I need a company name or a legit fax, which I google. If i get that website that lists scam numbers I dont apply.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Good message nfpexec...and I might add if you do apply for anything online and they want personal info like SS# don't put it there. Wait until you are offered a job. You don't know where that info will end up. I usually put all zeros. You could also change some numbers. I learned about this in a networking group I belonged to. I never apply to blind ads either.
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down