Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Just feeling depressed   EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Just feeling depressed   EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Just feeling depressed   EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Just feeling depressed   EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Just feeling depressed   EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Just feeling depressed   EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Just feeling depressed   EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Just feeling depressed   EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Just feeling depressed   EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Just feeling depressed   EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Just feeling depressed   EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Just feeling depressed   EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Just feeling depressed   EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Just feeling depressed   EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Just feeling depressed   EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Just feeling depressed

2 posters

Go down

Just feeling depressed   Empty Just feeling depressed

Post by bonitabj Fri May 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Crying or Very sad

Over the past week, I was contacted by a recruiter who specializes in job placement in my field. She received my resume and had a client who was interested in hiring my for a position which paid $18-20 and started right away. She mentioned that out of four resumes she sent them, I was the only one with the specified experience they needed. This morning she connacted me by e-mail to tell me that someone at the firm 'knew of me' and did not think I would be a good 'fit'. She gave me the name of the firm and I don't recall knowing anyone who worked there and am very upset over this turn of events. It sounded like a sure thing. I am starting to get very depressed. I am on my final FED EX extension which ends in 18 weeks.

Any thoughts? Has this happened to any of you?

bonitabj

Back to top Go down

Just feeling depressed   Empty Re: Just feeling depressed

Post by PamelaJo Fri May 06, 2011 9:15 pm

I can understand your depression. While I haven't had anyone say "they knew of me", I have been told I "would not be a good fit." I'm facing the exhaustion of my EB and have been seeking work in the Early Childhood Education field. Teaching is the only thing I've done for 30 years, and I have a history of remaining with a school for many years and having great relationships with children and parents (even use them as my references), but now that experience seems to be my problem.

I've had a young Day Care director tell me that she felt I "might not be comfortable" at her center because all of the teachers are young and none are "mature" (aka OLD, is what she meant). Other times I have applied at centers, never to hear another word from the directors. I truly believe that nobody wants me because of my experience. I don't know if they worry that I out-experience them, or just exactly what the problem is which keeps me from being hired. I loved teaching and dedicated my entire adult life to a career which allowed me to make a positive contribution to society.

The thing which worries me most of all is that I have no other experience and when I apply for positions in other fields, I am told I "need experience." If a person can't get hired, how do they ever gain experience? Even working in Day Care, I performed many tasks, including much office work. That means nothing. You are so right about getting very depressed. I try so very hard not to allow despair to take over my life, but at times it is simply too much to bear. I had two interviews today, both going nowhere...once again hearing "We'll be in touch with you." Usually, I can take it, but today I'm feeling deeply depressed, too. I admit that I came home and just sat in a chair and cried for quite a while. You start to feel worthless and hopeless.

I'll be better tomorrow, but today has not been a good one. I wish you the best and hope things improve for both of us.
PamelaJo
PamelaJo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Depression sucks - don't go there for very long. I'm 54, and I constantly get "your over-qualified", this is also because of many years of experience. Just remember, there is nothing wrong with us, it is because these people are also afraid. This economy is so bad, most of us long-term unemployed have never experienced this before. Everyone is trying to protect themselves. As another great member of this site has posted, "it's not personal". The really bad thing is this is going to take time to change into what the US work force will become. In the interim, we have to survive - and, as it has been said, "the times they are a changing". You know that, you can feel it. Hang in there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 10:43 pm

disgustedwithgovt wrote:Depression sucks - don't go there for very long. I'm 54, and I constantly get "your over-qualified", this is also because of many years of experience. Just remember, there is nothing wrong with us, it is because these people are also afraid. This economy is so bad, most of us long-term unemployed have never experienced this before. Everyone is trying to protect themselves. As another great member of this site has posted, "it's not personal". The really bad thing is this is going to take time to change into what the US work force will become. In the interim, we have to survive - and, as it has been said, "the times they are a changing". You know that, you can feel it. Hang in there.

Well said! I am so sorry about the depression, we are here for you.

I know many people here are thinking the same thing. Its very sad. I hate that this is happening. You pointed out something very important, times are changing and this isnt our fault. I hope congress will see this some time very soon.

Ongoing prayers...I pray all of us will be on the road to recovery soon. Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by PamelaJo Fri May 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Thank you, both. You have put me in a better mood before I settle in for the night. I know I'm not alone and I surely know times are changing. I lost my job due to low enrollment caused by parents losing their jobs, too. It's not my fault, I know. It's not our fault and it's not personal. I've been doing okay until recently and that's because of facing the end of my benefits. I'm fortunate things are not worse for me and I am thankful for that. My house is paid for, so I will not face homelessness as so many do. I will try to dwell on positive thoughts. It's really all we have left to do. I do pray for the best for all of us.
PamelaJo
PamelaJo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down