Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!!

+7
Jobless_in_Ma
MarilynL
DesperateInRI
Sandra5yearsunemployed
cookie kong
elvis44102
Sierraman
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! Empty GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!!

Post by Sierraman Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Yes, you read right, i got a job at Wal-Mart as a cashier, I went in for an interview, got passed for 2 more and got an offer on the spot! Now i know Wal-Mart may not be the most popular company in the world for a number of reasons! But i am just so Damn happy, i have pay again! I am crying right now!

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! Empty Re: GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!!

Post by elvis44102 Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:19 pm

congratulations
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by cookie kong Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:25 am

congratulation, and wish you will happy on your need job

cookie kong
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra5yearsunemployed Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:51 am

cookie kong wrote:congratulation, and wish you will happy on your need job

cookie Kong. Is that your name? Well guess what honey? I believe YOU posted a post with my OLD title in it. So, I'm going to go BACK to that post (the title was changed by a real person sweet heart, just so you know). And I've gotten help from people on here. . .and those people have read my REAL STORY. Don't you give me crap about "I just started a new business". You know what that is? That is a SCAM and a rip off! You are not fooling me or anyone Cookie! If you can't STATE the name of your corporation, it is a scam and you think we are stupid!
Sandra5yearsunemployed
Sandra5yearsunemployed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Sierraman, you go guy! You'll be one of the best Walmart employees, when you make dept mgr stay away from that linen area, those woman are ruthless. Best wishe.

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:57 pm

Congratulations! It's a great start for you and I'm sure opportunities for advancement will come in no time!

GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! 468390
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Nice going, Sierraman! The most important thing here is that your spirits will be so lifted. You'll feel a part of life eversomore!

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:54 am

Has anybody on here worked at Wal-Mart?

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:05 am

I sold cell phones during last xmas at Walmart. As a cashier we were driven to mandatory breaks several years before, by the US government, because they were not allowing breaks.

Now the registers will lock you out if you don't take the breaks. But this is okay. I find Walmart employees very content with their job.

Your experience will be unique. Best of luck.

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra5yearsunemployed Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:32 am

Sierraman wrote:Has anybody on here worked at Wal-Mart?

I used to work at a K-mart back in 1999 when I wanted to see what it was like to be a cashier. We were given breaks and standing on my feet all day killed me. I worked 8 hour shifts and it was a new big K-mart. I worked my first Saturday on the big grand opening day! It was crazy. I only kept the job for the summer in Milwaukee when I was waiting to go back to Bible college in Indiana back in those days.

When the line got slow (which was not very often when the grand opening happened), we were made to "clean up our aisle" and we had to look busy! We couldn't just "stand around". That was hard for me to do since the second I went to clean my aisle and make sure all of the candy was in place, I'd get another person in line and another. So, all I did when it slowed down was walk back and forth. When it was really slow, we were told to help out with shoes and get them out of the big boxes. I was given a 50 dollar K-Mart cash for doing such a good job back then. Of course I lost it since 1999. It was an experience I'll never forget, but I wouldn't go back to doing cashier work again.

And I'm sure your experience at Wal-mart will be very similar. We had a time clock and we had to clock out for lunch and I was given two 10 or 15 minutes breaks in addition to a 30 minute lunch. But I'm used to that 30 minutes lunch break. I never had a job that offered an hour lunch. So if you are not used to it, bring a lunch with you, (I'd make it the night before you have to work that way you don't have to wake up any more earlier than you need to) and eat fast. You will not have time to drive around for a place to order it AND eat your lunch. 30 mins is just to EAT and sit. You will probably feel really good after a long days work and feel tired after being on your feet all day. You should have no issue sleeping. What I liked about my job was I was helping others.

I also enjoyed bagging out each night! I counted up all of the money and had to put it in a bag and take it to the back. If I could handle having so many people come into my line I'd could be a bank teller. (It left me winded seeing so many people in one hour). I need to stay away from jobs like cashiers and back tellers. If you like the job, you may be able to work your way up to management or work in another dept. It seems all retails jobs want people to be a cashier first. It's not a hard job.
Sandra5yearsunemployed
Sandra5yearsunemployed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:41 am

Ok, very interesting, i know Wal-Mart is a kind of controversial employer. i am optimistic, i think i should be fine, i don't think Wal-Mart is angelic institution, but i don't think they will be Satan either.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 am

Sierraman....very happy for you! No matter where you work, the fact that you found out that there was nothing wrong with you, after all, is what matters. You don't have to stay there forever...while you are working there you can still apply for other places where you'd rather be. But for now, enjoy the pay check, and the fact that you are a person of worth and value!

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:38 am

Elvis...you don't seem to be your real self lately...you sound very down and depressed!

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:42 pm

MarilynL wrote:Elvis...you don't seem to be your real self lately...you sound very down and depressed!

could be that the weather is changing to fall....
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:08 am

elvis44102 wrote:
MarilynL wrote:Elvis...you don't seem to be your real self lately...you sound very down and depressed!

could be that the weather is changing to fall....
I feel the same way. I don't like fall, I find it depressing and I just can't get myself motivated. Sad
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 am

Congrats!! That's awesome news!! I hope to hear more of these stories soon.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:51 am

Do you guys have any advice for me when i start? I technically start next Wednesday, that's my orientation date.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:04 am

Sierraman wrote:Do you guys have any advice for me when i start? I technically start next Wednesday, that's my orientation date.

just the obvious, show up early.....dress neatly...be courteous...etc...

this may sound dumb....but i have had orientation sessions where people actually fell asleep......not a good sign...

if you are having a pre-job meeting maybe take notes and don't be afraid to ask questions...
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:07 am

No pre-job meeting, I think orientation is my first employment date, since it's a retail cashier position, does anybody have any specific advice for that?

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra5yearsunemployed Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Sierraman wrote:No pre-job meeting, I think orientation is my first employment date, since it's a retail cashier position, does anybody have any specific advice for that?

Ask if you can write down any codes they may want you to memorize. Ask if you can use a cheat sheet. Cashier positions require A LOT of working memory and you have to do many things at once (with your mind, not you body) and it takes a toll on your mind and memory. This job may be great for you. I can only give you my first hand experience with it.

When I did that job, I always said on my first few weeks "Wait, you are giving me instructions and you are expecting me to remember the process for all of this without writing it down for me. Let me get out a pen and paper that way I can REMEMBER all of this stuff you are giving me" And they WILL give you a process. They WILL say "Do this first, and then you do ABC, and then after that push this button here, and then push that button there and then you put this paper in the machine like so, and then do a XYZ on it and then give the person their refund". Huh? They NEVER wrote that down for me and wanted ME to remember all of thse steps! Who are they kidding?

they may already have a cheat sheet for you waiting at your post. But in my case at two different retail stores (one was K-Mart) they did not have a cheat sheet for everything. THey want you to remember like you are a machine, not a human.

And that is why I don't work as a cashier. Ever. But may be you have a good working memory!

Last edited by Sandra5yearsunemployed on Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelled a word wrong)
Sandra5yearsunemployed
Sandra5yearsunemployed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:58 pm

What do you guys think of me working for Wal-Mart? i know its not the most beloved company on the planet and it gets a lot of controversy.
I am kind of nervous about that fact.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:42 pm

Sierraman wrote:What do you guys think of me working for Wal-Mart? i know its not the most beloved company on the planet and it gets a lot of controversy.
You should not care what "we" think of you working for Walmart. Its a job; something that is quite elusive these days.
I am ust happy to hear that you will have an income, something I wish for all our members.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Hey congratulations Sierraman! I worked at Walmart for almost 1 year during this depression as a sales associate. The co-workers were very nice, and a lot of them were in the same boat as us. Think of this as a positive turning point, and keep going from there!
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra5yearsunemployed Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Sierraman wrote:What do you guys think of me working for Wal-Mart? i know its not the most beloved company on the planet and it gets a lot of controversy.

Well, look at it this way. No company is prefect since business are made up of people and no one is prefect! And another thing. Given the times, most companies outsource to China and Wal-Mart is just one of them. Many of the things are outsourced to China from Wal-Mart and they buy things for cheap.

But Wal-Mart is not the only one that does this. We just hear about it more, since Wal-mart is sooooooo freaking big. I don't know how many clothes from Wal-Mart are made in America (probably not many) but when you think of the entire world. . .and all of the other stores you could purchase clothes from . . .most places don't have clothes that are 'made in America". Wal-mart is the poster child for "cheap labor" and it takes the bad wrap due to it's SIZE. And Wal-Mart KNOWS that people (American's) will shop there since it is CHEAP.

Don't feel bad for working at Wal-Mart. You have a job and that is more than I can say. I'd LOVE to work for Wal-Mart stocking the shelves! I'd LOVE to work for them doing something in the back away from the cashiers. It's a job. You can use this as experience and then find another employer later if you'd like. But if you choose to do that - just remember, no company is prefect. What Wal-Mart does good is their logistics since they record each and every scanned item from the cashiers and it is linked to their vendors systems so their vendors know what the reorder point is.
It may be slower is some Wal-Marts (such as the one in Perris) but as a WHOLE, Wal-Mart has a great supply chain where they get the products to the stores at the correct (pre-set of course) reorder point.

Look up "supply chain Wal-mart" and "value -chain Wal-mart" and do some more research on the company. . .I'd look up Wal-mart in China and see how you can educate yourself on the company you will be working for. Whatever Wal-mart is good at, another company will be poor at and whatever another company is poor at, Wal-mart will be poor at. Each company has it's own weaknesses.

Also you may want to do a SWOT analysis for Wal-mart where you compare the Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats to other like companies . . .such as K-Mart and Target. See how Wal-mart is different from them and find out how Wal-mart is similar to them.

Hope this helps.
Sandra5yearsunemployed
Sandra5yearsunemployed

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:06 pm

I'd work for an evil bill collector if it were offered to me. I wouldn't be to popular--that is why they use false names on phone--but at least it would be a paycheck coming in and hopefully enough to to pay for all the antacid I would need for the heartburn doing the job. LOL.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next