Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?'

+4
js123
ranbrow123
snowdog
lam
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' Empty Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?'

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:57 am

99ers... UI... What is Going On? Today, in a few minutes actually, I will be speaking with Reps. Barbara Lee and Sander Levin regarding unemployment benefits. They are set to expire for 2.2 million people on December 31st after the Super Committee failure. There is also a question of what to do regarding the Lee/Scott [...]

http://www.crewof42.com/cbc/will-unemployment-be-extended/

Back to top Go down

Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' Empty Re: Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?'

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 am

Great news. Keep tweeting and emailing. Sending a thank you to Crew of 42, Reps. Lee and Scott.

Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' 34243

Back to top Go down

Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?' Empty Re: Crew of 42 - 'Will Unemployment Be Extended?'

Post by lam Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Does any of this include the 99ers??? If not then I am not interested. I have been out of benefits for so long now I can't tell you how long it's been. I believe unemployment will not be extended and then everyone will then have to live as I do barely scraping by. Congress and the Senate seem to think this ok so why should anyone else get a lifeline if I or any of the other 99ers do not!!!!!!

lam

Back to top Go down

Post by snowdog Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:57 pm

I have waited in waited,That's all 99er's can do.I have waited my self out of my apartment,my car,my personal Items,sold what ever i had to eat,so iam steal waiting,now i am waiting in a shelter.soon i'll be waiting in the streets in the cold and hungry.and iam not alone.soon their be seven million more just like me waiting,now please tell me whats worng with this picture.How much more waiting do we have to do.month's are turning into year's and the year's are takeing a toll on the unemployed.I don't want to be a 99er for ever.we need a tier 5 now.

snowdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:12 pm

HR589 is for the 99ers and the extension is a continuation of benefits for those still eligible to collect. Many of those people will be 99ers in Dec. Jan and Feb. Hopefully, Reps. Scott and Lee will get this through with the extension.

I am tweeting daily and emailing as well. I will not give up for the 99ers, so don't give up hope. If you are not able, send me your information and I will tweet and email for you.

Snowdog, you are not alone and I am so sorry for all of us that we have been abandoned. I can't tell you why, but there is so much wrong with this picture.

Back to top Go down

Post by ranbrow123 Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:32 pm

lam wrote:Does any of this include the 99ers??? If not then I am not interested. I have been out of benefits for so long now I can't tell you how long it's been. I believe unemployment will not be extended and then everyone will then have to live as I do barely scraping by. Congress and the Senate seem to think this ok so why should anyone else get a lifeline if I or any of the other 99ers do not!!!!!!

I agree that they should include the 99ers, but are you aware that the essence of what you're saying here is "Since I can't get more than 99 weeks, why should anyone else be able to get 99 weeks like I did?" For that matter, if we allow 99 weeks to be reduced to 26, then all the 99ers can just forget about ever getting anything extra.

My point is you got 99 weeks, and while it's unfair for them to screw the 99ers, it's also pretty selfish to say that you won't fight for someone to get the same benefits that you did simply because you might not be getting anything extra out of the deal.

ranbrow123

Back to top Go down

Post by js123 Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:31 pm

ranbrow123 wrote:
lam wrote:Does any of this include the 99ers??? If not then I am not interested. I have been out of benefits for so long now I can't tell you how long it's been. I believe unemployment will not be extended and then everyone will then have to live as I do barely scraping by. Congress and the Senate seem to think this ok so why should anyone else get a lifeline if I or any of the other 99ers do not!!!!!!

I agree that they should include the 99ers, but are you aware that the essence of what you're saying here is "Since I can't get more than 99 weeks, why should anyone else be able to get 99 weeks like I did?" For that matter, if we allow 99 weeks to be reduced to 26, then all the 99ers can just forget about ever getting anything extra.

My point is you got 99 weeks, and while it's unfair for them to screw the 99ers, it's also pretty selfish to say that you won't fight for someone to get the same benefits that you did simply because you might not be getting anything extra out of the deal.
Sorry, I am with Iam on this. We have been screwed over too many times. The people who were laid off when this economic crash began have paid a much higher price than people who recently lost a job. I will not advocate for another extension unles the ones who got hurt the most are included.
js123
js123

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 pm

HR 589 is so badly written that even if it passed out for a vote it would nose dive like HR Titanic. Has anyone even read how it would be administered? Needs to be rewritten.

Back to top Go down

Post by js123 Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:47 pm

No time to rewrite anything. 14 weeks are not going to do anything. We need job creation, not more extensions. They blew this whole year without any job proposals, until Obama's bill after Labor Day. That was a political move. Now when Congress comes back in Jan. its gonna be all about the election. They don't care, they'll have there jobs. Barbara Lee and all her cosponsors are as guilty as the rest.

I hope everything expires. Great depression number 2 by February.
js123
js123

Back to top Go down

Post by Atctz Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:12 pm

After reading this post I had to respond. While I am totally for extending unemployment and help to the longest suffering, the 99ers. I cannot agree with the argument that if 99ers are not included in this legislation then it should not pass at all. That is totally wrong in my opinion!

It is wrong and a disgrace that such a large segment of our citizens have been ignored, marginilized, and just plain forgotten. However that does not mean that people who just lost their jobs say six months ago have it easy. I cannot imagine how hard and miserable life can be for someone without any kind of help or lifeline for 2 years. I do understand the resentment and bitterness many 99ers must feel. However just imagine only getting say 26 or 30 weeks in this economy. I was unemployed for nearly 2 years. I am one of the lucky few that got a new job, and I am only in my mid 30s so I do not have to deal with the age discrimination. I know Iam lucky. I have a wonderful wife who has a good job so I never hurt like so many on here do. I know this. I have advocated for 99ers. I will not say I have done anything Like MaryKay. That woman is amazing and relentless in advocating and never giving up, but I have done what I can when I can.

Let's face it HR589 is a long shot, a very longshot. The problem in getting this or any additional weeks passed is not the republicans or democrats in my opinion, it is the American people. The vast majority of people I talk to out their have no clue about how bad it actually is. For many you just get wrapped up in your own life and just don't care about the neighbor who lost the job and had to move. For many they work long hours, take paycuts, worry themselves about being laid off. Then they hear say Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck saying how lazy the unemployed are and they just want to take your money have lay on the couch all day, and it makes them mad and resentfull, (just as some 99ers are on here about others getting the extension and not them) That resentment, lack of knowledge, understanding, and frankly compassion is what is keeping 99ers from getting any additional help.

Almost everone I talk to says the same thing "2 years is enough!"In my opinion untill we can somehow get the American people to see how bad it really is and how much people really need an extension you can email and twitter all day and night and it will be deleted without a second glance or thought.
Atctz
Atctz

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:18 pm

I do agree with some of us this, not the typical American greed "if I can't benefit then no" part but, some of it is dead on. I feel like 14 weeks is a waste of time at this point. What good will 3 more months do? For those you that have been out of work for three years and have been a 99er for a whole year, you have been surviving somehow. In 3 months you will be in the same boat.

This is the problem with the tier system when it was implemented. It was based on a number of weeks not an unemployment rate. The entire system needs to be redone so that any state above 7 percent unemployment gets benefits until it is below that amount. It is asinine to try and add 14 weeks and then try and add 14 more. This recession will take years more to recover, talking in weeks is pointless.

I just hope that they aren't going to try and rely on the hearts of the republicans to change to extend unemployment. We should know by now this won't happen. I really don't see how this will get past the house.

This was purposely intended to end in a year so that the republicans can't hold unemployment benefits hostage so that they can get tax cuts for the rich. This COULD be the start of getting out from under them. Either they will extend or they won't. This is how it should be.

lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tara Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Atctz wrote:After reading this post I had to respond. While I am totally for extending unemployment and help to the longest suffering, the 99ers. I cannot agree with the argument that if 99ers are not included in this legislation then it should not pass at all. That is totally wrong in my opinion!

It is wrong and a disgrace that such a large segment of our citizens have been ignored, marginilized, and just plain forgotten. However that does not mean that people who just lost their jobs say six months ago have it easy. I cannot imagine how hard and miserable life can be for someone without any kind of help or lifeline for 2 years. I do understand the resentment and bitterness many 99ers must feel. However just imagine only getting say 26 or 30 weeks in this economy. I was unemployed for nearly 2 years. I am one of the lucky few that got a new job, and I am only in my mid 30s so I do not have to deal with the age discrimination. I know Iam lucky. I have a wonderful wife who has a good job so I never hurt like so many on here do. I know this. I have advocated for 99ers. I will not say I have done anything Like MaryKay. That woman is amazing and relentless in advocating and never giving up, but I have done what I can when I can.

Let's face it HR589 is a long shot, a very longshot. The problem in getting this or any additional weeks passed is not the republicans or democrats in my opinion, it is the American people. The vast majority of people I talk to out their have no clue about how bad it actually is. For many you just get wrapped up in your own life and just don't care about the neighbor who lost the job and had to move. For many they work long hours, take paycuts, worry themselves about being laid off. Then they hear say Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck saying how lazy the unemployed are and they just want to take your money have lay on the couch all day, and it makes them mad and resentfull, (just as some 99ers are on here about others getting the extension and not them) That resentment, lack of knowledge, understanding, and frankly compassion is what is keeping 99ers from getting any additional help.

Almost everone I talk to says the same thing "2 years is enough!"In my opinion untill we can somehow get the American people to see how bad it really is and how much people really need an extension you can email and twitter all day and night and it will be deleted without a second glance or thought.
Sorry, but I do not agree. Two years is not enough when there are no jobs to be had. HR 589 was just one big joke, just like S3706 in August of 2010. The GOP is never going to allow another extension of benefits - it might make President Obama look good.

Tara

Back to top Go down

Post by ranbrow123 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:24 pm

js123 wrote:Sorry, I am with Iam on this. We have been screwed over too many times. The people who were laid off when this economic crash began have paid a much higher price than people who recently lost a job. I will not advocate for another extension unles the ones who got hurt the most are included.

You have a right to feel how you want to feel, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in complaining that the government won't help you, yet not being willing to support others in need who the government is about to screw.

Keep in mind that it is not the people who need the 99 weeks who are at fault for people not being able to find jobs. I think it's only fair if you got 99 weeks that you support others in getting their 99 weeks. Just because they didn't need it until later than you did doesn't mean they don't deserve it.

@lendme: Wars aren't won in one battle. Winning this would mean something.

ranbrow123

Back to top Go down

Post by Atctz Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:25 pm

I agree with you Lendme. The Republican party has been hijacked by rightwing extremists in my opinion. If they do take power no one will see an extension. Hell I'd bet they would cut out of the initial 26 weeks. I am not an Obama fan however with a party controlled by the likes of Hannity, Rush, and Beck I would take him anyday over any candidate those three would endorse.
Atctz
Atctz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tara Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:26 pm

MaryKay wrote:HR589 is for the 99ers and the extension is a continuation of benefits for those still eligible to collect. Many of those people will be 99ers in Dec. Jan and Feb. Hopefully, Reps. Scott and Lee will get this through with the extension.

I am tweeting daily and emailing as well. I will not give up for the 99ers, so don't give up hope. If you are not able, send me your information and I will tweet and email for you.

Snowdog, you are not alone and I am so sorry for all of us that we have been abandoned. I can't tell you why, but there is so much wrong with this picture.
Mary, thanks for everything you have done but it is time to give up. We are screwed as long as the Republicans have control of the House and the Senate doesn't have the super majority. Sorry, but I see now it is a waste of time.

Tara

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:33 pm

I am sure I will get blasted for this but, there are a lot more jobs out there than there used to be. I do think we should extend benefits but it's really hard to compare looking for a job now to looking for a job in 2008 or 2009.

This extension was hard to get passed this time last year and we don't have even as much leverage as we did then.

This will be a heavy lift.

lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi Tara, and welcome back! This is not a waste of time if we can stay united and fight for what is right. It began in 2007, escalated in 2008 and the only thing that Congress has done to address this crisis is extend unemployment benefits. Where are the jobs bills? THERE ARE NONE. except for President Obama's. If they don't want to address Job Creation, and vote down every aspect of the American Jobs Act, then they damn well better consider extending unemployment benefits for everyone. The only way this will happen is to keep up the fight.

Thank you, MaryKay, for not giving up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Atctz Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:35 pm

Like I said in my earlier post Tara in my opinion the fight is not emailing the politicans, it is getting America to wake up and see their fellow middle class neighbors out starving and freezing in the streets. That is the key to any additional help. Once you can somehow convince the John and Jane public out their of how bad it is, then these bills will have a chance.
Atctz
Atctz

Back to top Go down

Post by ranbrow123 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:I am sure I will get blasted for this but, there are a lot more jobs out there than there used to be.

I will not blast you. I will, however, ask that you back that up with some evidence.

ranbrow123

Back to top Go down

Post by Tara Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:42 pm

ranbrow123 wrote:
lendmeflight2 wrote:I am sure I will get blasted for this but, there are a lot more jobs out there than there used to be.

I will not blast you. I will, however, ask that you back that up with some evidence.

Can't provide the evidence, there are not more jobs out there. Of course unless you consider part time, minimum wage jobs that require a Masters Degree a "real job".

Last edited by Tara on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tara

Back to top Go down

Post by Atctz Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:43 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:
I am sure I will get blasted for this but, there are a lot more jobs out there than there used to be.

In all honesty Lendme that depends on a lot of factors. I for example got downsized in Oct 2009. I could not even land an interview for at least 6 months and I was fairly young and a Marine Corps Vet. After that in what seems like a hundred applications I had maybe 6 interviews. I did get hired eventually and it is somewhat better, however if you are older, made a great salary.( I never made more then 34,000 a year before) and been out of work for a long time then you may still have a hell of a time landing ajob.
Atctz
Atctz

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:43 pm

My evidence is that I had three interviews between July of 2009 and Spring 2011. I have had 8 interviews since August, one of which I got. I also had someone that turned me down offer me a job recently. These aren't all good high paying jobs but even these low paying jobs weren't here a year ago. It is a lot better than it was, without a doubt.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by ranbrow123 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:46 pm

Tara wrote:Mary, thanks for everything you have done but it is time to give up. We are screwed as long as the Republicans have control of the House and the Senate doesn't have the super majority. Sorry, but I see now it is a waste of time.

What do you gain by quitting, though? Can't hurt to fight for it, even if you're pretty confident it won't pass.

The worst that can happen is you're down a few minutes a day that you spent advocating for H.R. 589, but in the off-chance it does go through, the payoff is enormous.

ranbrow123

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Atctz wrote:lendmeflight2 wrote:
I am sure I will get blasted for this but, there are a lot more jobs out there than there used to be.

In all honesty Lendme that depends on a lot of factors. I for example got downsized in Oct 2009. I could not even land an interview for at least 6 months and I was fairly young and a Marine Corps Vet. After that in what seems like a hundred applications I had maybe 6 interviews. I did get hired eventually and it is somewhat better, however if you are older, made a great salary.( I never made more then 34,000 a year before) and been out of work for a long time then you may still have a hell of a time landing ajob.

That's sort of exactly what I said. A hundred applications? I have sent out HUNDREDS in the last two years and got nowhere. The last few months have been a lot better than the last two years. I had my first interview sometime in 2010 I think. So I went almost a year without one call. I ended up with three interviews, none of which hired me. I have had a lot of results in the past few months though. It could also be that most of these jobs are customer service jobs which I have experience in. But regardless, there ARE more jobs than there used to be.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by ranbrow123 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:49 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:My evidence is that I had three interviews between July of 2009 and Spring 2011. I have had 8 interviews since August, one of which I got. I also had someone that turned me down offer me a job recently. These aren't all good high paying jobs but even these low paying jobs weren't here a year ago. It is a lot better than it was, without a doubt.

Anecdotal evidence.

ranbrow123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next