Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Can I get unemployment compensation? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Can I get unemployment compensation?

3 posters

Go down

Can I get unemployment compensation? Empty Can I get unemployment compensation?

Post by guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Can I get UC?
Hi gang, it's been awhile since I've posted here, but I'm hoping someone can help. I find myself unemployed again after having a p/t job and then finding f/t employment through a Temp Agency (Adecco).
I apologize in advance for the long post, but I need your input/advice from those who may be more knowledgeable.

A little background information, I had originally lost my job back in December 2009, and I was able to claim unemployment compensation. I had been unemployed until May, 2011.
At that time I accepted employment w/ a fast food restaurant, however, it was very low pay and p/t hours. I was there from
5-26-11 until 8-20-11. I had found other work through a Temp Agency (Adecco), it was a little bit better pay and was full time. It was at a manufacturing plant, and it required that I wear work boots (steel toe w/ metatarsels).
I enjoyed the work, but not long after starting there, I started to have a problem with my right foot. The boots that I was required to wear resulted in an ulcerated foot. It has been very painful to walk or stand with it, but I continued to work. Fortunately, I was able to get medical attention through my local community health clinic.
That full time job ended on 10-28-11, due to a lack of materials, I was there from 8-22-11 thru 10-28-11. The temp agency had a position within the same company at a different location (Print Shop) however, at a lower hourly pay, also full time, which I accepted on 10-31-11. During this time my foot had gotton worse, the ulceration became bigger and more painful. I had called off work on 2 separate occasions due to my foot problem. On the 2nd call off, I had just completed a 52 hour work week, which stressed my foot, making it very painful/swollen, and I couldn't get my foot into a shoe. On the same day I called off, I received a call from the temp agency informing me that the Print Shop had decided to end my assignment.
I inquired with the temp agency for a reason, and they said no reason was given.

The temp agency informed me that they had a job position w/ WalMart, but again it would require my being on my feet for the entire shift.
My question is, would I be eligible for unemployment compensation? On a side note: 1) At the manufacturing job, I didn't have to be on my feet all the time, I was able to sit at my work station to do part of my work, where as at the Print Shop, I was on my feet the whole shift. 2) I had gone to the temp agency after work on 11/7/11, and explained my situation with my foot, to see if they had any other job assignments where I wouldn't need to be on my feet all day. They didn't have any such positions available
for me.

Back to top Go down

Can I get unemployment compensation? Empty Re: Can I get unemployment compensation?

Post by Dazed&Confused Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:10 pm

I am not positive but I think yes after reading your story and your dates are about the same as mine, you either were or were going to be going on EB and you probably have an open account. You were not fired and you continue to look for employment. Why don't you call them and ask to have your claim reopened as you were laid off. Considering you were working your payments may be lower, do check with them, these are hard times. Good Luck, I hope it works out for you. Remember EB and HUB ends at the end of December. See what you options are. Dazed
Dazed&Confused
Dazed&Confused

Back to top Go down

Can I get unemployment compensation? Empty Re: Can I get unemployment compensation?

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:20 pm

alone, welcome back. It's a hard call. You may still have the open claim. I am not sure how the temp work qualifies you. It may qualify you at a lower rate. you should call in to the PA UC Center and ask about your open claim, explain that you were working p/t, then temp full time and see what they will do for you. Don't mention anything else, just that your assignment ended. If it should come up, keep a copy of your Dr. records regarding the foot problem. It may help you in getting benefits.

Back to top Go down

Post by guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks for your replies D&C and MaryKay. It is such a frustrating situation, I've tried so hard and this is what I get for my efforts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:09 pm

alone, don't give up. I urge you to make the call. You never know. You have time left on your original claim. Please let us know how you are making out. As I said, it's good to hear from you again, although you know I mean it when I say, not under these circumstances.

Back to top Go down

Post by guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:20 pm

MaryKay wrote:alone, don't give up. I urge you to make the call. You never know. You have time left on your original claim. Please let us know how you are making out. As I said, it's good to hear from you again, although you know I mean it when I say, not under these circumstances.

Thanks for the words of encouragment, MaryKay, I will call tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:57 am

aloneinpa,

I don't know about PA, but here in CA, if you are unable to work for any reason, you will not get UI benefits. I would not say anything about the problems you are having with your foot. If you are not able to accept work because it continues to give you problems, you may not be able to get unemployment benefits.

Have you checked into the posibility of temporary state disbility? If you can't work because of your foot, and are under doctor's care, I would try that first. If you are denied for that, apply for unemployment. That's what I did a couple of years ago, when I had problems with my legs and feet (neurological issues), which made it extremely difficult for me to work. In my case, my doctor said I could work (which I disagreed with), so I took the first job I got offered (which happened to be a part-time job). I then applied for and got UI, which ended up being a few dollars less than what I would have received on temporary state disability, and continued to do my weekly job searches. Again, I don't know how they do things in PA, but it couldn't hurt to check into it. Also, I think you can apply for UI once you are off of disability. Double check that.

The important thing is getting your foot healed, so you can accept work when an opportunity comes up. Have you been tested for diabetes, and/or any other underlying health issues?

Best of luck to you, and I hope your foot heals up soon!

LRS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down