Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition

+4
gettheminNOVEMBER
Falcon7
tristen303
Jobless_in_Ma
8 posters

Go down

Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition Empty Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:34 pm

After months of heated negotiations and failed attempts to achieve any kind of consensus, President Obama turned 50 years old Thursday, drawing strong criticism from Republicans in Congress. "With the host of problems this country is currently facing, the fact that our president is devoting time to the human process of aging is an affront to Americans everywhere," said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who advocated a provision to keep Obama 49 at least through the fall of 2013. "To move forward unilaterally and simply begin the next year of his life without bipartisan support—is that any way to lead a country?" According to White House officials, Obama attempted to work with Republicans right up until the Aug. 4 deadline, but was ultimately left with no choice except to turn a year older.

Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition 777350

http://www.theonion.com/articles/obama-turns-50-despite-republican-opposition,21061/

Back to top Go down

Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition Empty Re: Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Lmao!! I just signed his b day card.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition Empty Re: Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition

Post by tristen303 Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:44 pm

LOL Laughing

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by Falcon7 Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:54 pm

That is pretty funny. cheers

Falcon7

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Happy Birthday Obama, the market is now down 450 points due to the CRAPPY bill we made you sign. rethuglican
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by stansmad Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:14 pm

Finished DOWN 513 POINTS. He even made his birthday a fundraiser party ? The market tanked because of our HORRIBLE ECONOMY that the media has been covering up. Maybe he could name a BIRTHDAY CZAR ?

stansmad

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:36 pm

stansmad wrote:Finished DOWN 513 POINTS. He even made his birthday a fundraiser party ? The market tanked because of our HORRIBLE ECONOMY that the media has been covering up. Maybe he could name a BIRTHDAY?

Explain to me what the right has done to help? HUH??

Bush downgraded our standing in the world. And the Tea Party made it official.
FACT

ITS YOUR PLAN ON THE DEBT THAT DOWNGRADED US! How the HELL are you so blind?? The right wants NOTHING to do with job creation. Can't have the black man look good in the white now can we??????????????

Now the teahags want to end unemployment so go ahead vote for them. Shoot yourself in the foot. I don't care, I have a job.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:55 pm

stansmad wrote:Finished DOWN 513 POINTS. He even made his birthday a fundraiser party ? The market tanked because of our HORRIBLE ECONOMY that the media has been covering up. Maybe he could name a BIRTHDAY CZAR ?

Since, according to CNN, he paid for his Birthday Party with his OWN money I would think he could do whatever he ^%$# well pleases at it !!!!!
Gail
Gail

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:01 pm

stansmad wrote:Finished DOWN 513 POINTS. He even made his birthday a fundraiser party ? The market tanked because of our HORRIBLE ECONOMY that the media has been covering up. Maybe he could name a BIRTHDAY CZAR ?

You are so right about the media covering it up--Fox News never even mentions the Debt run up by 8 horrid years of Reaganomics, plus Bush Sr and Bush Junior---
Was it not Dickey Cheny(under Bush Jr.) that said: "Deficits don't matter " ???---Hmmmmm----how quickly and conveniently we seem to forget when it suits us-------
Gail
Gail

Back to top Go down

Post by stansmad Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:51 pm

You can criticize Bush all you want, fine with me. If Obama did not want any problems ,why did he run for office ? Politics is a dirty business, and always will be. I recall just a couple month ago Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee saying " We own this economy", " President Obama has the nation on the right track for recovery". You can blame all the past Presidents you want, it does us no good now. The President is the LEADER of the free world. When is he going to act like it? It is certainly not anyone's fault but his own, last I checked HE must sign the BILL to make it legal. I have not seen any pictures of somebody forcing him to sign anything. Getthem what does a black man have any thing to do with my post? My sister was a foster parent for years and we all pitched in and helped raise many who were bi-racial, I don't have a prejudiced bone in my body! You Sir, are way out of line. Your mouth is writing checks your ass can't cash. BLAME , BLAME , BLAME ! Please tell me what Obama has accomplished from 2008-2010 when the DEMOCRATS HAD CONTROL OF BOTH HOUSES. WHY DID THEY NOT PASS A BUDGET THEN? THEY HAD OVER 800 DAYS TO DO SO !

stansmad

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:56 pm

So the reason Obama sucks is because your party are such RUTHELESS AZZHOLES??

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:44 pm

stansmad wrote:You can criticize Bush all you want, fine with me. If Obama did not want any problems ,why did he run for office ? Politics is a dirty business, and always will be. I recall just a couple month ago Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee saying " We own this economy", " President Obama has the nation on the right track for recovery". You can blame all the past Presidents you want, it does us no good now. The President is the LEADER of the free world. When is he going to act like it? It is certainly not anyone's fault but his own, last I checked HE must sign the BILL to make it legal. I have not seen any pictures of somebody forcing him to sign anything. Getthem what does a black man have any thing to do with my post? My sister was a foster parent for years and we all pitched in and helped raise many who were bi-racial, I don't have a prejudiced bone in my body! You Sir, are way out of line. Your mouth is writing checks your ass can't cash. BLAME , BLAME , BLAME ! Please tell me what Obama has accomplished from 2008-2010 when the DEMOCRATS HAD CONTROL OF BOTH HOUSES. WHY DID THEY NOT PASS A BUDGET THEN? THEY HAD OVER 800 DAYS TO DO SO !

It is impossible to "lead" anything when you are being victimized by terrorist- like tactics of certain political parties and held hostage on EVERY single piece of legislation that benefits the middle class & this country.
What has Obama accomplished ????? Where have you been ????
Helath care reform
Financial Reform
UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Stimulus Bill putting money into the hands of Americans(not the banks like Bush & TARP)
Just to name a few. If nothing else he gets major points for simply putting up with Rethuglicans & Tea Bagger crackpots whose main goal is "to make Obama a one term president" !!!(The American people think their main goal should be to represent the people who elected them to office and to do what is right for the country-silly aren't we?)
As to why more was not accomplished , It is called FILIBUSTER -look it up some time.
Gail
Gail

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:37 pm

stansmad wrote:You can criticize Bush all you want, fine with me. If Obama did not want any problems ,why did he run for office ? Politics is a dirty business, and always will be. I recall just a couple month ago Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee saying " We own this economy", " President Obama has the nation on the right track for recovery". You can blame all the past Presidents you want, it does us no good now. The President is the LEADER of the free world. When is he going to act like it? It is certainly not anyone's fault but his own, last I checked HE must sign the BILL to make it legal. I have not seen any pictures of somebody forcing him to sign anything. Getthem what does a black man have any thing to do with my post? My sister was a foster parent for years and we all pitched in and helped raise many who were bi-racial, I don't have a prejudiced bone in my body! You Sir, are way out of line. Your mouth is writing checks your ass can't cash. BLAME , BLAME , BLAME ! Please tell me what Obama has accomplished from 2008-2010 when the DEMOCRATS HAD CONTROL OF BOTH HOUSES. WHY DID THEY NOT PASS A BUDGET THEN? THEY HAD OVER 800 DAYS TO DO SO !

HELL HAS OFFICIALLY FROZEN OVER!!! I AGREE WITH SOMETHING STANSMAD SAYS!!!!

Kind of anyway....

I am pissed that the democrats are not strong enough to find a way to fight for what they know will work. I am tired of Obama rolling over. I will still vote for him because I will be damned if I vote republican but I don't know how happy I will be about it.

The filibuster rule is a good example. The republicans found some arcane rule of order that prevented a vote to get rid of it. The democrats said that to beat this rule they would have to convene at some odd hour to defeat it. SO!?!?! DO IT!!! They made it sound like it was just too hard. I do not have the details on this I am just going from a vague memory of when it happened in January. I can tell you that if it was possible to defeat and I was the leader of the senate, it would have been defeated. I don't care if we had to meet 24 hours a day for a month. I would also make those republican bastards actually filibuster and I would stay in session until they got tired and then had a vote. But I'm a fighter and fighters fight. What can I say?
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:42 pm

I agree with lendmeflight !!! Obama has been weak-He just does not seem to get it that you CANNOT COMPRIMISE with someone who does not want to comprimise-it takes willingness on both sides and so far it seems he is the only one-Being the "nice guy" or taking the "high road" when you are dealing with gangsters and terrorists and wallowing in the dirt just does not( & never will) work. If he is all we have then I too will vote for him because the alternative would be far worse. We need to start taking LOUD action and demonstrating and protesting in the streets. That is how we ended the Viet Nam War and got civil rights among many other significant social reforms.
For example: I recently heard a recording played on the Thom Hartmann news program, of a very recent Tea Party rally. By the way their imbecile elected officials have openly stated that they do not care if the get re-elected or not.
The recording it went like this: " Has everyone heard ? They are calling this the Tea Party Downgrade !!!!"
Then all that could be heard was loud cheering and applause

They were actually cheering and applauding thenselves at what they managed to accomplish !!!
The 2000 point drop in the Dow and the billions of dollars lost in retirement and investment accounts to say nothing of the consequences of us(meaning you and me) having to pay even higher interest on our debt meant NOTHING to them.
I hope everyone understands that the Tea Party is made up of registered Republicans and primarly funded by the Koch brothers and other Right Wing corporate terrorists.
Gail
Gail

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:21 pm

We do understand that, Gail. Problem is that if five Tea Party members gather, the media will cover it for a whole news cycle or more. If thousands of us choke the streets with our numbers, well, it's not news. It happened for sure over the Iraq war--but as far as the media was concerned, move on, nothing to see here. I don't know how you change that.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:30 pm

JoanB wrote:We do understand that, Gail. Problem is that if five Tea Party members gather, the media will cover it for a whole news cycle or more. If thousands of us choke the streets with our numbers, well, it's not news. It happened for sure over the Iraq war--but as far as the media was concerned, move on, nothing to see here. I don't know how you change that.

When the right controls 75% of the media it really puts a damper on the left. Murdoch and the Kochs have SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much money.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:41 pm

JoanB wrote:We do understand that, Gail. Problem is that if five Tea Party members gather, the media will cover it for a whole news cycle or more. If thousands of us choke the streets with our numbers, well, it's not news. It happened for sure over the Iraq war--but as far as the media was concerned, move on, nothing to see here. I don't know how you change that.
Reason mainstream media covers Tea Partiers is because mainstream media, in large part, is funded by corporate interests(advertising dollars) The same corporate interests fund the Tea Party. So here is what to do. Find a local group or groups in your local area and start there. I have joined the Progressive Alliance in my area and am planning on joining the Grey Panthers. Start by attending small meetings. You will be surprised at how many of us there are. If you get enough people together and they get loud enough for long enough, they will not be ignored.
By the way the Tea Party is in decline. They recently held two meetings and only a handful of people showed up. There is light at the end of the tunnel. We each just have to hold it high enough so it can be seen by others who will then be encouraged to join us and in turn hold up their light. What may start as only a whisper by one voice, will inevitably become a roar by millions.

The following website is excellent for finding local groups:
http://www.rebuildthedream.com/

Here is another site that is very active:
http://movetoamend.org/about-us

All great social reform movements in this country that actually accomplished what they set out to do, were started by only a few people and then gradually grew and spread until they involved the entire nation. That is how we do it.
WE GET ANGRY AND WE GET LOUD.
WE SHOULD NOT, WE CANNOT AND WE WILL NOT BE ABUSED AND IGNORED ANY LONGER. IT IS GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE AND CORPORATIONS ARE NOT PEOPLE REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE SUPREME COURT SAYS.
Gail
Gail

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:07 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:

When the right controls 75% of the media it really puts a damper on the left. Murdoch and the Kochs have SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much money.

This is true. However I find it very interesting that all their money and power have have not been able to put a "damper" on what is going on in London.
Those are some really angry, people living in some of the poorest areas of that city and many of the austerity moves and spending cuts enacted by their government have had a direct negative impact on people who are allready unemployed and desperate. I do not condone violence or destruction of property as a means to get a message out but it is a sad state of affairs that people have to be pushed to this point before anyone stands up and takes notice. There are experts who believe that something like this could happen here:
"In his most recent book, Batra wrote that we’re nearing the end of the acquisitors stage, which is characterized by the business and money class ruling society with its excessive attention toward profit at all costs. Next stop in America’s collective social evolution, he believes, will be a revolution by laborers, followed by the age of warriors — not soldiers, necessarily, but people more willing than others to take risks because of their above-average courage"
http://archive.fwweekly.com/content.asp?article=7369
Gail
Gail

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:34 pm

I know about all of the things you're referring to, Gail, and I don't disagree with you. We'll see what happens with the Brits, and it sure will be interesting since what caused their unrest is what we're about to do here. But note that their Uncut movement got precious little attention--it's the violence that has.

As for getting involved, I do what I can. I was working with some labor folks, but then got called back to work for a contract job, so I haven't been as active as I was. Doing both didn't seem this hard when I was 20 years younger.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:58 pm

JoanB wrote:I know about all of the things you're referring to, Gail, and I don't disagree with you. We'll see what happens with the Brits, and it sure will be interesting since what caused their unrest is what we're about to do here. But note that their Uncut movement got precious little attention--it's the violence that has.

As for getting involved, I do what I can. I was working with some labor folks, but then got called back to work for a contract job, so I haven't been as active as I was. Doing both didn't seem this hard when I was 20 years younger.

You are sadly correct. It is always the violence that gets the attention and gets remembered. (Kent state shootings, assination of MLK-etc) I once heard it said that those who forget the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them. Much of the unrest then was caused by the exact same scenario we see today. Abuse of power, shifiting of wealth upwards, unequal treatment of citizens under the law and mostly depriving people of hope for a better future. We never seem to learn. The pattern just keeps repeating itself.
I wonder if it is because we are simply a violent species by nature or if the wealthy ruling class eventually become so totally removed and retreated into their own insulated and isolated world that the rest of us cease to exist in their eyes and become objects rather then people ?? Maybe Psychopathic Greed really is a mental illness.
In any event our country was born in violence and revolt against the "ruling class" and their unfair treatment of us. It sure looks to me like violence is where this whole mess is headed, not just here in the US but worldwide.
Gail
Gail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down