Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
How the House Voted EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
How the House Voted EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
How the House Voted EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
How the House Voted EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
How the House Voted EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
How the House Voted EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
How the House Voted EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
How the House Voted EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
How the House Voted EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
How the House Voted EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
How the House Voted EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
How the House Voted EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
How the House Voted EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
How the House Voted EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
How the House Voted EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

How the House Voted

3 posters

Go down

How the House Voted Empty How the House Voted

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:42 pm

The House passed the Debt Ceiling deal 269-161.

In the end, Republicans voted 174 for – 66 against. The Democratic Party was split down the middle, with 95 votes for the bill, 95 against.

http://radioornot.com/site/?p=4943

Back to top Go down

How the House Voted Empty Re: How the House Voted

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:58 pm

This is not so bad. I am pretty happy with the deal considering everything. I think Obama got a pretty good deal. He protected the big three and got defense budget cuts. I can deal with no revenue now because the Bush tax cuts will expire next year anyway.

The vote was pretty much down the middle and that's ok by me.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:08 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:This is not so bad. I am pretty happy with the deal considering everything. I think Obama got a pretty good deal. He protected the big three and got defense budget cuts. I can deal with no revenue now because the Bush tax cuts will expire next year anyway.

The vote was pretty much down the middle and that's ok by me.

I agree 100%.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:16 am

I'm not so sure I share the Okiedokie feeling for this deal that you guys seem to have. And as for the Bush tax cuts expiring next yet, well, I've seen this show too many times now not to know what happens next.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:31 am

What do you not like about it? I grant you that it isn't ideal or what I would have wanted but he protected social security, medicare, and medicaid. Nearly all of the cuts take place in 2013 at the same time that the Bush tax cuts expire so the government still has money to work with to improve the economy and some of the cuts came from the pentagon.

It's not a bad deal if you consider what could have happened.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:15 am

Well, of course I like that they're at least saying that the big three are off the table for now. But with respect to deals in 2013, given the endless parade of disappointments thus far, can you blame me for being skeptical about the Bush tax cuts being expired? Also remember that the big three have no such safefy in these proposed committes.

And what bothers me most is how this "agreement" was reached by capitulating to hostage takers (some have called them terrorists). And what does this say to people use these tactics? It's a question worth asking because this will happen again, now that our President has made it clear that he will negotiate with them.

Just asking out of curiosity: what do you see that our side has gotten out of it that makes it a good deal?
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:06 am

Well, as I just said. They kept the big three off the table and none of the cuts start until 2013.

I agree with you that Obama keeps capitulating to the republican terrorists but we also can't let them blow up the economy. They have to find another way to fight. As far as not having faith that the Bush tax cuts will expire, I am not worried about what might happen in the future. I honestly believe that Obama will not extend the tax cuts again but if he loses they will probably be made permanent. This will be a pivotal thing in the 2012 election.

I am also happy that some of the spending came from defense.

If you want to look into the future you could say that when some of these cuts that will be triggered in 2015 or 2018 could be walked back by a democratic administration. The democratic party is looking into the future. It's kinda like making rules now for the future and then hoping that you have enough power when that future comes to change it.

It wasn't a good deal, it was a terrible deal, but it could have been worse.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:02 pm

I can appreciate what you're saying, lendme, and I always respect your take on things. But here's the thing that worries me the most: I think these drastic cuts in government spending are gonna really tank the economy, as if it wasn't already in the vortex of suck. Did you see what the Dow did today?

And I know this could have turned out much, much worse, but I just don't understand why this president always gives up all of his leverage before a fight even starts. He just did it again with the 14th amendment, and I don't care if it was legally viable or not--he didn't need to say he wasn't going to use it before he even got out of the gate. Every time, I keep hoping that this time, he's gonna fight, and then he doesn't. Again. Whywhywhywhywhywhy??!!!!

OK, I'm done.
How the House Voted Wham10
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:55 am

Well, everything you are saying is true. I really think he meant that he wanted congress to solve the problem like they are supposed so he didn't have to use the 14th amendment. The republicans have found a way to rattle him and they are getting good at it.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:18 pm

Well, OK, but the House dems are in the minority, so there really wasn't any hope of something good coming out of there. The Senate delivered some weak stuff, but, c'mon, isn't the president supposed to be the leader of the party? And the way he was leading was to put Social Security on the table even before the Republicans dared to. I just want him to convince me he's still on our side at this point, yanno?
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down