Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama

+9
lennon5
TR11005
lendmeflight2
Jobless_in_Ma
Judi58
mistermunster
exhaustedandtired/1208
Angelicrisis
Abbie
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 Empty CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama

Post by Guest Fri May 13, 2011 7:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

The good news for 99ers: The President mentioned he wants to possibly attach the 99ers money to some other big piece of legislation somehow… which piece, how and when is unclear… The Congressional Black Caucus continues to bring the issue of unemployment benefits to the table. In this case the big table in the State Dinning room at the White House. Were it not for the persistence of Rep. Barbara Lee the issue would never be discussed in the White House. Much like so many other issues (high incarceration, programs for the poor, and so on) they focus on — almost no one else in Congress — is doing so.

http://www.crewof42.com/?p=5679

Back to top Go down

CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 Empty Re: CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama

Post by lendmeflight2 Tue May 17, 2011 3:44 am

So then put a requirement that it be used for unemployment benefits if your rate is above 7%. However, what will happen is they will forget that detail and then states like NC will totally dismantle the program and we will all be screwed.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 Empty Re: CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:So then put a requirement that it be used for unemployment benefits if your rate is above 7%. However, what will happen is they will forget that detail and then states like NC will totally dismantle the program and we will all be screwed.

It should depend on the unemployment rate in the state and the amount owed to the Feds for underfunded unemployment accounts.

Here is a list of the states who have borrowed from the Federal government, the amount owed and the ue rates:

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/UploadedFiles/Loan_States_Sheet1.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 am

I agree with Liz, the December tax deal was a compromise to keep unemployment funded for one full year, up to 99 weeks. The 99ers were not addressed. However, the agreement was made and any pulling of unemployment funds would mean disolving the agreement. If they tie unemployment, additional weeks for the 99ers to a tax bill, it could get us help. When a state reaches their trigger to end extended unemployment, it is a state issue not a federal issue. Each state is responsible for their trigger. However, what we have to focus on is the fact that once again, employment, jobs, unemployment, underemployment and benefits for those affected are back in the news. When they passed it in December, everyone stopped talking, now their talking again. Not that it's good to have some many in this situation, but we are not being ignored anymore. These numbers of people are increasing daily as states trigger off, even though they may not have collected all 99 weeks, they are now becoming 99ers. I do not want to get into the whole who got 99 and who didn't, that is a state not federal argument. My point, we are now all in the same group of people who have no benefits and it is to our advantage to keep the pressure on. The more people, the louder the voices.

The biggest problem for the unemployed is that no matter how many of us there are, benefits are controlled by the states and the feds and every state has the option to run it their way. There is no consistency. Some states trigger at 8% (what a joke), some at 7%, some have no state EUC. It's got to be fair for all of us and 7-8% national unemployment is a joke. We will never get them to agree on 5% but 6% would be more reasonable. As far as length of time, one year, two years, 99 weeks, 200 weeks, there can't be a limit. Unemployment is forecasted to remain between 8-9% through 2012. With some 99ers already 1 year plus with no benefits and another year to come and many more to join, if they are not going to create jobs, seriously create jobs, then they have to work with us on a number we can live with. We all know at this point we can't really dig out of this hole we are in financially, but if they could agree on a fixed # until unemployment reaches 6%, we wouldn't starve and would at least be able to rent a room if nothing else. Instead roadblocks are thrown every time it comes up. Taxes, Debt Ceilings, Libya, Egypt, Govt Shutdowns. We have to make our cause the focus of part of the budget negotiations and keep screaming until we get it done. We are at least now being discussed. It may not all be positive, but we are being discussed.

Please all keep your voices heard as you have been. We have to make this happen because no one is going to do it for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Tue May 17, 2011 11:30 am

MAD mad CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 305108 This also makes you think better!

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Wed May 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Sunday nights I used to worry and have anxiety and dread about having to go back to work on a Monday, but now I anxiously await what each new Monday holds for us. The first good feeling is to have congress back from all their bi weekly vacations. When they're back then at least there is hope something can happen. But when they are off on their every other week of vacations(paid) nothing gets done. Then when they finally return its catch up time from all the old business they left on the table... pouty CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 457196 CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 98897

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by lennon5 Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm

I can't take this anymore, I come here for support not for tears. WE lost and non of you will undertsnd that. U could have 1 million sponors so what. If the bill doesn't come to the floor it isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Crying or Very sad

lennon5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 4:09 pm

I understand how you feel, lennon5. Its hard to stay positive while everything around us is crumbling. We have NOT lost yet though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 4:42 pm

lennon5 wrote:I can't take this anymore, I come here for support not for tears. WE lost and non of you will undertsnd that. U could have 1 million sponors so what. If the bill doesn't come to the floor it isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Crying or Very sad

I take all this information in a positive light. I have been a 99er for 15 months and am beyond desperation. There are two bills currently under consideration, one proposed by the Dems and one by the GOP. Because the House majority is run by the Republicans and Rep. David Camp is the chairman of the Ways & Means Committee, HR 1745 was introduced and out of committee in 5 days. HR 589 has been in the committee since Feb. 9 with no action taken on it.

Neither party is stupid and we all know the games that are played in Congress. HR 1745 will pass the House, but will never pass in the Democratic controlled Senate and HR 589 is not going to get out of the House.

The perfect solution is a compromise and a bipartisan bill that will pass both Chambers of Congress swiftly. I really believe that when they return next week that will be taken up. Although on the face HR 1745 seems devastating, there is a lot of room for compromises and deals allowing for an additional 14 weeks to be added to Tier 1.

Just my opinion, but states with high unemployment rates are not going to cut off individual payments. That would be devastating to the state's economy and put a severe strain on already hurting Human Service programs. During the committee hearing, one witness asked was it fair for a state that has a 4% unemployment rate to have to use the money from EUC08 for three of the four tiers. Shoot me now, but no, it isn't fair. Perhaps one of the options under a compromise would be all states must provide one tier of EUC before diverting the money for other purposes.

There are so many possible compromises, and each party wants to be able to say they helped the unemployed, I really believe that we will see help a lot sooner if both bills were combined than if each tried to go forward as a stand alone.

My hopes are higher now for relief for the 99ers than they have been during this whole 15 months.

Hang in there. Something has to give, and I think it will be sooner than later.

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Wed May 18, 2011 5:43 pm

lennon5 wrote:I can't take this anymore, I come here for support not for tears. WE lost and non of you will undertsnd that. U could have 1 million sponors so what. If the bill doesn't come to the floor it isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Crying or Very sad

I know we are suppose to stay positive.. BUT I am with you I feel this has been an politcal ploy and we are the pawns...
Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 5:59 pm

It's very easy to give in to it. I am taking a different approach, I will not let them win. They will not ignore any of us, no matter how long we have been unemployed or how long we have been 99ers.

You may think being a "pollyanna" is a waste of time and you are entitled to that feeling. Many of us are that way because we need to be strong for ourselves and our families, we also need to be strong for each other. If we all post about giving up, not one of us would advocate or participate in working toward getting this legislation passed. For some others, to log on and read about giving up would be the last straw and I won't do that to anyone. So, please don't give up. Walk away for a day or two if you need to regroup, but don't quit. This is our chance and it's our fight, we have to stay in it. I have not yet secured full time employment, I have no benefits, I have to fight. Every member here brings their own special way of handling and advocating, and when all our efforts are combined, we make a well rounded group of advocators. Please stay with us and stay strong for each other.

Back to top Go down

Post by PamelaJo Wed May 18, 2011 6:27 pm

lennon5 wrote:I can't take this anymore, I come here for support not for tears. WE lost and non of you will understand that. U could have 1 million sponors so what. If the bill doesn't come to the floor it isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Crying or Very sad

I do understand your frustration and anxiety, believe me I do.

I just want to say that I have found much support on this forum in the short time I've been posting. It's a great way for all of us to connect with others who are dealing with the same circumstances and who truly understand the desperation we feel.

Nobody knows how Congress will vote, or if they will even do so. We're all just
watching and waiting. It's all we can do, and I feel that is really
helps to be able to watch and wait together.

This forum really is a positive place...it's the bad economy which is causing feelings of negativity and hopelessness. It's those on Capitol Hill who refuse to
see the reality of our plight who are causing the most harm. We need to
remember that at all times. We all need each other for support. We all
try hard to extend that support to everyone. We're all doing the best we
can given the terrible fears we face. We're all in this together.

I wish you well, and I hope you can find comfort in this forum. I surely
have and I truly feel much more positive since I have been able to share
my feelings with those who understand and who really do care.
PamelaJo
PamelaJo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Thank you PamelaJo for your kind words! Very Happy It is our hope that everyone feels the same way you do about the forum. We do our best to be supportive and at the same time advocate for the unemployed.

I feel terrible that we cant comfort everyone. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make everyone's lives instantly better. We aren't asking for much as Americans. Most of us just want to work and earn our living to support ourselves and our families. At the moment, that just isn't possible for most of us and its scary as hell.

I know the current atmosphere in congress is very scary at the moment, but there are reps that do care and continue to fight for us. While some in congress have abandoned us, there genuinely are others who are trying to help us. I have put what little faith I have left in them and I do believe we will get some relief soon. There are more people exhausting benefits everyday and it cant be ignored. I know some probably think I'm nuts, but I know we will get help. Its just a matter of time....

In the mean time, the best we can do is continue our job searches, lean on others for support when we are feeling despaired and defeated, and continue to advocate for help.

We must stick together and support one another!

CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 34243

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Wed May 18, 2011 7:37 pm

IMO--the only hope that hr 589 has is to be attached to another bill, and perhaps this one, which will be bitter sweet, unfortunately it makes sense...I hesitated on saying this since no one else has mentioned it or perhaps seen it, and also where barbara lee had said that there is no date to bring hr 589 to the floor...I could swear that I read in an article several weeks ago that it would go to the floor on May 23rd..at the time, I thought ya right...it was in a cnn article...but now it makes sense, since it appears that the jobs bill will come to the floor next week..I am not writing this to give everyone false hope, because i really have none left, but I will be watching yet for one more week when they return next week to see if there is movemet on HR 589...I havent given up emailing and faxing and dont consider it over until it is over...sadly most cant hang in there much longer...maybe if we collectively say a prayer that our luck will change and this will become a reality hopefully next week...again, i am not trying to give false hope, but lets see what comes to the floor one more time, next week...IMO, if it doesnt happen next week it isnt going to...IMO...

ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 7:41 pm

ca wrote:IMO--the only hope that hr 589 has is to be attached to another bill, and perhaps this one, which will be bitter sweet, unfortunately it makes sense...I hesitated on saying this since no one else has mentioned it or perhaps seen it, and also where barbara lee had said that there is no date to bring hr 589 to the floor...I could swear that I read in an article several weeks ago that it would go to the floor on May 23rd..at the time, I thought ya right...it was in a cnn article...but now it makes sense, since it appears that the jobs bill will come to the floor next week..I am not writing this to give everyone false hope, because i really have none left, but I will be watching yet for one more week when they return next week to see if there is movemet on HR 589...I havent given up emailing and faxing and dont consider it over until it is over...sadly most cant hang in there much longer...maybe if we collectively say a prayer that our luck will change and this will become a reality hopefully next week...again, i am not trying to give false hope, but lets see what comes to the floor one more time, next week...IMO, if it doesnt happen next week it isnt going to...IMO...

I remember that too ca...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Splitting topic. To continue conversation on the money for Libya and Tunisia, see the thread. Thanks!

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org/t2348-obama-middle-east-speech-president-will-announce-billions-in-economic-aid-to-egypt-tunisia#25254

Back to top Go down

Post by fredm74 Thu May 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Hypothetically speaking, if and when #HR589 does pass next week, how soon do 99ers start receiving checks? I'd imagine it would take awhile since thousands upon thousands have been 99ers for nearly 2 years.

And someone who was a 99er a year ago, found a job and then got laid off again, would they be eligible for the additional 14 weeks? This could be very tricky for some.

fredm74

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Thu May 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:
ca wrote:IMO--the only hope that hr 589 has is to be attached to another bill, and perhaps this one, which will be bitter sweet, unfortunately it makes sense...I hesitated on saying this since no one else has mentioned it or perhaps seen it, and also where barbara lee had said that there is no date to bring hr 589 to the floor...I could swear that I read in an article several weeks ago that it would go to the floor on May 23rd..at the time, I thought ya right...it was in a cnn article...but now it makes sense, since it appears that the jobs bill will come to the floor next week..I am not writing this to give everyone false hope, because i really have none left, but I will be watching yet for one more week when they return next week to see if there is movemet on HR 589...I havent given up emailing and faxing and dont consider it over until it is over...sadly most cant hang in there much longer...maybe if we collectively say a prayer that our luck will change and this will become a reality hopefully next week...again, i am not trying to give false hope, but lets see what comes to the floor one more time, next week...IMO, if it doesnt happen next week it isnt going to...IMO...

I remember that too ca...

whew, I thought people here would label me crazy...I couldnt understand why no one picked up on it...maybe it wasnt true...but what throws me is the timing of this other bill, I guess we will see next week...

ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2011 7:05 pm

@Fred...From what I understand, it would take a few weeks to get a check depending on what state you are in and how up to date their systems are. some might see a check within a week after the president signs it and some might take 3 or 4 weeks.

I am not sure how they would determine who is getting them. I would imagine people would have to call in to reopen the claim? Not sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2011 7:09 pm

@ca...yes unfortunately we will have to wait and see what next week brings. But I do remember reading that too and thought, at the time, that it was crazy because it was so far off. But here we are, already may 20!! affraid

I hope we see some positive movement next week Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by carl98430 Thu May 19, 2011 7:40 pm

If there is going to be action, let's all hope it's next week because, after that there's yet ANOTHER recess!

carl98430

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2011 7:45 pm

They have more breaks than any working person I know. surprise

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2011 8:26 pm

Next will be the Memorial Day Holiday and then they start like every six weeks or so. Nice work if you can get it huh?

Back to top Go down

Post by PamelaJo Thu May 19, 2011 8:47 pm

MaryKay wrote:Next will be the Memorial Day Holiday and then they start like every six weeks or so. Nice work if you can get it huh?

You said it MaryKay! I've been thinking...with all of the experience we've gained in political action, maybe we should all run for office. We'll start our own party, just like the Tea Party did. Ours could be The Unemployed Friends Party! It could be a peaceful revolution and our rally cry could be "You took our jobs! We're taking yours!" LOL!
CBC-99ers/Jobless Benefits Comes Up (again) During CBC Meeting With Obama  - Page 2 132551
PamelaJo
PamelaJo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2011 9:00 pm

One thing I will never do again is simply listen to a speech or not do research on any candidate before I vote. My Rich says I am becoming obsessed, I am not becoming obsessed, I am there. I have often thought that a party consisting of all races, and all incomes would be a great idea because they could work together for a fair distribution of State and Federal funds for businesses and schools etc. My hope is that egos would be left in the parking lot and all would work together for better communities, states and country. But it would still take a well informed public and an active community or city/state for that to work.

"You took our jobs! We're taking yours!" Wouldn't that make a great lawn sign or bumper sticker? However, I think this is our mantra, thanks for putting it in you profile:

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
~Samuel Adams~

We are that irate tireless minority and we need to keep setting those brush fires, every day.

Back to top Go down

Post by PamelaJo Thu May 19, 2011 9:12 pm

AMEN!
PamelaJo
PamelaJo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next