Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers"

+3
TruthBTold
couth11
fredm74
7 posters

Go down

Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" Empty Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers"

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:03 am

http://www.crewof42.com/cbc/lee-on-99ers-obama-understood-we-were-talking-on-99ers/

We were talking about H.R. 589, a 14-week extension of unemployment benefits. Rep. Barbara Lee clarified something to me this morning regarding unemployment benefits, the debt ceiling negotiations, H.R. 589 and 99ers vs. general unemployment benefits. Though the President keeps saying that “unemployment benefits” are possibly a bargaining chip in the deficit talks, Lee said that with regard to talks she and the CBC has had with President Obama regarding “unemployment benefits” it has been specifically on the 14-week extension called for in H.R. 589. “The President understood what were were talking about,” Lee said clearly. She also said, and this can never be forgotten when contemplating what goes on politically in Washington, that you never know what will happen in the negotiations.

Couldn't sleep so I hopped online and came across this.

Back to top Go down

Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" Empty Re: Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers"

Post by fredm74 Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:19 am

Thanks for posting the entire article. I only saw bits and pieces earlier. This is very good. I'm glad that Barbara Lee is still advocating HR589 and not letting it slide. I hope that Obama presses on this when doing negotiations concerning the debt ceiling. We can just only hope and pray that we get results.

fredm74

Back to top Go down

Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" Empty Re: Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers"

Post by couth11 Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:45 am

I've been laying awake - 14 weeks is needed, but realistically it needs to be made available for longer, since there are no jobs being added in the near future. So if it passes, no jobs are created within those 3.5 months, and more people are competing for the existing jobs, we're going to back at square 1.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:09 am

Good Morning. Thanks for posting entire article. I heard bits of this and couldn't find it myself. I am continuing to keep on with the letter and yesterday asked for help with the Senate. Gang of 6 needs to be contacted today as does Barbara Lee. Hope you will help. We cannot let this slide, everyone wants to focus on the Debt, Social Security and Medicare, not saying they are not important, but unfortunately, we have our own fight with so many of us jobless and benefitless for over a year. This needs to be our focus now, we can help with the others once we have achieved our goal. If these folks in DC would wake up and realize that benefits and a jobs program, a REAL program, we would once again be paying taxes, contributing to SS and it would start to take care of it's solvency. We need to act on this right now.
Yesterday morning on Morning Joe, Mike Barnacle asked every guest if they did not get the point that if millions of people started to work again, they would spend, contribute and most of the debt would take care of itself as would Social Security, not one would look at him and ducked the answer.

We just can't leave this up to a vote where we could get lost in the mix again. Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" 34243

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthBTold Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 am

In reality, 14 weeks is hardly enough, but it is SOMETHING I suppose. A minimum of 20 weeks is needed, and the bill should include a line that says that as long as unemployment continues to RISE, the extensions continue to move forward without the need for another vote. The fact of the matter is, this would cost the government very little relative to everything else they are discussing in the "Big Debt Deal" right now. Plus, as we are well aware, a dollar in the pockets of the unemployed = $2 pumped into the economy. In turn, MORE JOBS WILL BE CREATED, and the unemployment rate will fall.

TruthBTold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 pm

They want debt reduced, extensions if the first way and a jobs program is the second. They have yet to put one on the table and it needs to be done and done soon. Time is wasting and each day is less revenue and less money for the programs they seem hell bent on cutting.

#HR589 (or something similar), Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!!! Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" 34243

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:10 pm

I'M sorry but, with the hugh spending(cuts) battle, and debt ceiling arguments and also cap etc etc! Why in the world would anyone think there is any hope for more weeks, especially when they let the extensions drop for the newly unemployed. Sorry, I need them as bad as anyone but to even think they would add the tiers 1-4 and also add more weeks for 99er's is in Cinderella's dream!And to think they would compromise on a budget bill and debt limit increase argument also cut spending!!! Especially if Obama does not get a tax increase!! He isn't going to cut any program in his plans to offset cost for more unemployment! But I will gladly say I was wrong and surrender my first week checks to charity if it happens between now and 8 mos. from now! 589 is dead and buried!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:12 pm

in the reality comment,, our world of reality is totally different than theirs! There is the politics reality and the rich reality and the unemployed reality. Depends where the focus is! And it ain't on unemployment extension tiers renewal and more weeks!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Sorry to be so angry and negative but this is my reality! doesn't mean I am quitting writing and contacting! BUT!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthBTold Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:34 pm

I understand your anger and frustration. I too find it hard to believe this has any REAL chance of passing. I just cannot tell if members of congress such as Lee and Stabinow REALLY ARE fighting for this or just trying to appease people with insincere efforts. This is my reality as well! The fact of the matter is, if the situation keeps deteriorating as it has, this well become EVERYONE'S REALITY to some extent. Politicians will see consequences eventually, the business community will inevitably suffer, and frustrations among the unemployed will explode.

TruthBTold

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:18 pm

I agree everything is coming down and hurting because of the weak job market. The housing market is being hurt as well. We all know and I think Mr Bernie Sanders is one of the few that gets it the true UE rate is over 20% They need to address UE as a whole Us 99ers would take any job out there that would pay the bills. But there is no jobs out there I know what my husband went through. He went on dozens of interviews but still nothing and the stress of being unemployed became too stressful and he killed himself. Just hurts and now Als brother is most likely going to be a 99er real soon and I am so scared of him doing the same since he allready talked about it. This just has came out of control for us all we need the help.

Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Rose, we are praying every day for Al and his family. We will pray for his brother that he gets some good news soon and doesn't choose to take the same path.

Please all show your support for the 99ers Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" 34243

Back to top Go down

Post by Atctz Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:48 pm

The main problem in my opinion with HR 589 passing is the general public perception about the long term unemployed. Aside from all the negative stereotypes blasted at them from Fox News and all the extreme right, their is also a strong belief (at least with the people I talk to) that two years is more then enough. They have no problem extending UE but that it has to end,and two years is the max. No matter how much I argue, show statistics, etc it does not seem to matter to them.

I honestly think that they will extend at least the first two tiers of EUC for those laid off currently so they will be able to receive them after Dec 31st. I am willing to bet they wait till the very last minute like they always do and get everyone who needs benefits all sick with worry, but I do think they will extend them. For those of us who are almost out of benefits or have exhausted them, I am sorry to write this but I just don't see it. The public is just not with us.
Atctz
Atctz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks for all the prayers it really helps. I just am so worried about Als brother now. I cant get a clear answer I cant even get ahold of the PA UC center. Als brother has 2 claims the one claim he is done with EB but the other he didnt collect eb. Can he collect EB on 2 claims. I just try to get ahold of the PA uc center and I am getting a busy signal. If anyone can get through please ask them if you can collect eb on 2 prior claims. I just am helpless and worried. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Atctz Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:11 pm

I'm not sure about the EB on two claims thing Rose, but I do need to talk to someone their about some training I did thru careerlink, so I will aks them (if I can get through) and post it on here.
Atctz
Atctz

Back to top Go down

Post by mj33 Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Rose:
sent u PM.

mj33

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Tweeted and sent Barbara Lee an email. Called her office today as well.

Please call her. Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" 34243

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 am

Please don't let them forget us again! Keep the pressure on! See this thread to contact Progressive Radio in Boston - he wants to hear from 99ers!

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org/t3170-99ers-please-contact-progressive-talk-radio-we-will-not-be-forgotten-again#37442

diffrince

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:13 am

Will be tweeting and emailing. She is on the list for today. Please help.

And, please, please, contact Progressive Radio. Lee On 99ers: "Obama Understood We Were Talking About 99ers" 34243

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down