Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Oregon give more that 99 weeks EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Oregon give more that 99 weeks

3 posters

Go down

Oregon give more that 99 weeks Empty Oregon give more that 99 weeks

Post by troycomic Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:20 pm

I hope this is a trend to the other 48 states & Hawaii (LOL! couldn't resist)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/27/unemployment-benefits-in-_n_854272.html
troycomic
troycomic

Back to top Go down

Oregon give more that 99 weeks Empty Re: Oregon give more that 99 weeks

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:53 pm

Good for them! It depends on each state and if they have funds left. I am sure a lot of states don't have the funds which is why we need
HR 589.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:56 pm

troycomic wrote:I hope this is a trend to the other 48 states & Hawaii (LOL! couldn't resist)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/27/unemployment-benefits-in-_n_854272.html

Troy, Oregon give more that 99 weeks 317789

48 states & Hawaii? So does that mean that Sarah Palin is NOT a United States citizen?

Back to top Go down

Post by troycomic Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:25 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
troycomic wrote:I hope this is a trend to the other 48 states & Hawaii (LOL! couldn't resist)

48 states & Hawaii? So does that mean that Sarah Palin is NOT a United States citizen?

Why would that mean anything about Palin

Oregon give more that 99 weeks 317789
troycomic
troycomic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:32 pm

troycomic wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:

lol! Because you said "the 48 states & Hawaii". I guess that means Alaska isn't a state!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Back on topic, RI received money for the same type of program last year. It was up to the states how to disperse it. I have NO clue what RI did with it and wish I knew how to find out! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by troycomic Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:49 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
troycomic wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:

lol! Because you said "the 48 states & Hawaii". I guess that means Alaska isn't a state!

Silly.
troycomic
troycomic

Back to top Go down

Post by lstjr Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:50 am

DesperateInRI wrote:Back on topic, RI received money for the same type of program last year. It was up to the states how to disperse it. I have NO clue what RI did with it and wish I knew how to find out! Twisted Evil

All this money came from the Oregon State Unemployment Trust Fund that is funded Oregon employers paying a percentage of the payroll for each employee into this fund. After researching this fund it is normally around $2 billion (in good times) as of the first of March it was about $900 million. To quote the Oregon Employment Dept...

"The UI Trust Fund is forward-funded to provide sufficient resources for 18 months of benefits during recessionary conditions. To date, 36 states have borrowed federal funds to pay their claimants as their trust funds became insolvent. The U.S. Department of Labor anticipates up to 40 states may have to borrow funds at some point during this economic cycle.

Even after paying out a record $2.8 billion in benefits during 2010, thanks to the state’s tax model and supporting funds from the Federal government for unemployment extensions, Oregon will not have to borrow funds."

lstjr
lstjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:56 am

lstjr wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:Back on topic, RI received money for the same type of program last year. It was up to the states how to disperse it. I have NO clue what RI did with it and wish I knew how to find out! Twisted Evil

All this money came from the Oregon State Unemployment Trust Fund that is funded Oregon employers paying a percentage of the payroll for each employee into this fund. After researching this fund it is normally around $2 billion (in good times) as of the first of March it was about $900 million. To quote the Oregon Employment Dept...

"The UI Trust Fund is forward-funded to provide sufficient resources for 18 months of benefits during recessionary conditions. To date, 36 states have borrowed federal funds to pay their claimants as their trust funds became insolvent. The U.S. Department of Labor anticipates up to 40 states may have to borrow funds at some point during this economic cycle.

Even after paying out a record $2.8 billion in benefits during 2010, thanks to the state’s tax model and supporting funds from the Federal government for unemployment extensions, Oregon will not have to borrow funds."

There were some states with high UE rates that were given additional funds from the Federal govt. last year and RI was one of them. They could have done something like this with it, but those funds were allocated elsewhere. I believe they hired additional personnel at the Department of Labor and Training with part of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by lstjr Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:12 am

DesperateInRI wrote:
lstjr wrote:

There were some states with high UE rates that were given additional funds from the Federal govt. last year and RI was one of them. They could have done something like this with it, but those funds were allocated elsewhere. I believe they hired additional personnel at the Department of Labor and Training with part of it.

Or additional administrative cost to take care of all of us. SB 638 was for $30 million but I believe the payout is just $26 mil with $4 mil for taking phone calls and sending out checks.
lstjr
lstjr

Back to top Go down

Oregon give more that 99 weeks Empty I thought I read this on this forum

Post by woodhorse74 Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:56 am

I think I read that some state possibly Oregon got additional weeks after
the 99. Am I correct on this and if so, how did that happen?

woodhorse74

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Yes I believe that is correct. I will try to find the thread to be sure and bump it up for you. It can be done on a state level if they have the funds, I believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Some states returned the money. They were as Desp. said not under any obligation to use it for anything specific, such as 99ers as Oregon did. PA and NJ used some of the money to offset their higher than expected payouts of unemployment compensation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:22 pm

States with high unemployment rates were given additional funds from the federal government to use at their discretion to help lower the ue rates. All the states that were allotted these funds used them for other purposes, such as job training. Oregon chose to pay an additional 6 weeks to the individuals who had exhausted all their benefits.

I believe that the state ran out of this money before the full 6 weeks were paid out to everyone so I'm not sure if all got the full 6 weeks. Someone from Oregon may be able to help you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:26 pm

***Merged and Moved to the "Oregon" Forum***

Back to top Go down

Post by lstjr Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:46 pm

SB 638 did not use any federal money it came from Oregon's Unemployment Trust Fund. There was a total of 30mil that was supposed to last six weeks for what they thought would be 17,500 people, but when 23-24,000 (proof they have no idea how many of us there are) requested benefits it was cut back to four weeks. So I guess I'm a 103er.

"The House also endorsed Senate Bill 638, which offers an additional six weeks of state benefits to Oregonians who have been out of work for more than 99 weeks and have exhausted all other benefits, including the federal extensions.

Officials say they plan to contact the estimated 17,500 Oregonians who could be eligible. The Employment Department will spend up to $30 million from the unemployment insurance trust fund to pay for those benefits. "
http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/03/two_bills_extending_benefits_f.html

"(b) 'Oregon emergency benefits' means unemployment benefits
funded entirely by this state and payable under ORS chapter 657
to individuals described in subsection (2) of this section during
the emergency benefit period."
http://www.leg.state.or.us/11reg/measures/sb0600.dir/sb0638.intro.html
lstjr
lstjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down