Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts

3 posters

Go down

Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  Empty Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts

Post by WPA Today Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

I thought some of you might like to see my blog post for today, noting how we could be utilizing the services of the long-term unemployed for disaster relief efforts, just like we did when the WPA & CCC existed:

http://nddaily.blogspot.com/

Some people say that the unemployed are lazy. I think it is intellectual laziness that allows the problem of long-term unemployment to exist.

--Brent, www.wpatoday.org wpatoday@gmail.com

WPA Today

Back to top Go down

Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  Empty Re: Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:41 pm

I can't really put my finger on exactly the right words here, so I'll just say that I think this idea is ill conceived and in defense of individuals unemployed this notion and its dank odor makes my stomach churn.

macky

Back to top Go down

Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts  Empty Re: Utilizing the unemployed for disaster relief efforts

Post by stillnutty Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Not really sure what to make of this post. What I m thinking is you think this work would be demeaning. Do you also feel that way about the electricians, carpenters, plumbers, roofers, and even painters that are out of work, and could be used here ? If you ever have to live the REAL LTU life, having lost, or living on the verge of losing everything, I wonder if you will still look at things the same.

BTW FYI besides tomorrow being election day, it is 5 years to the day since I lost my real job. I have learned how to get by with almost nothing and life off the grid.

End of rant

Everyone PLEASE VOTE TOMORROW !!

stillnutty
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by WPA Today Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Macky: Why does the idea make your stomach churn? Disaster relief work is one of the most important jobs out there. Why would you not want the unemployed to have the opportunity to get training and employment in this area?

Why do you think the idea is ill-conceived? The WPA and CCC carried out many successful disaster relief missions. And they also performed disaster prevention work, such as building flood walls and firebreaks. They saved many lives and much property.

Keep in mind that, like the work programs of the New Deal, this would not be a mandatory program, but simply an opportunity for those who were interested.

--Brent

WPA Today

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 pm

the Tuesday after the big storm, as i was taking the turnpike going east i noticed several trucks heading that way (tree service trucks) i am thinking that anybody with a skill in demand gets a call to come to the rescue.

Power company people are probably making huge overtime, (there is probably a reciprocal agreement to go to various areas, country wide)

this type of thing calls for people to already have some sort of organization in the first place.

The degree of literacy was lower in the 1930's than now

more modern equipment exists there are plenty of depression era roads still here (i think they were laid brick by brick,(labor intensive))

Nothing would seem to be wrong with a major infrastructure investment, except the republicans don't want it..

EDIT---seems maybe some laid off workers could be called back for such an effort, but is that cost efficient???
i don't know.

we all know companies routinely work people longer hours in "short" burst than hire new people, even when this "short" time maybe moths..
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:23 pm

I take it all back. I misread this as sending the unemployed in as early responders, which of course would be dangerous and wrong.

Good points. I'm sorry about what I said earlier.

Thanks!
macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum