Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Finally found this community! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Finally found this community!

+7
snday
MaryKay
TR11005
Daveparts
Jobless_in_Ma
elvis44102
JadeBlue
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Finally found this community! - Page 2 Empty Finally found this community!

Post by JadeBlue Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:51 am

First topic message reminder :

I’ve been going insane over the last 4-5 years, and finally found a forum that is geared towards my needs. I am very sad to see that it is not as active now as it used to be, which probably means that people are finding jobs, but that almost makes me more angry.

I’m going to explain my situation as briefly as I possibly can, but there is so much to tell and until now I have had no where to tell it! Anyway, thanks in advance for listening to my sobs/rants.

I’m now a 26 year old female. I’m married, I own a home that my husband and I purchased when the market crashed (it was a fixer-upper, but a good investment.) I finished my degree in 2008 when everything went to hell. I graduated with a degree in education, expecting to wait a year or two before finding a position, but was pleasantly surprised to get a 4 month (maternity leave) position as soon as I walked in the door, followed by a non-steady daily sub position for the rest of the school year.

The next few months, I took other jobs doing camps and afterschool programs to supplement some income. At times, I was working 3 jobs weekly AND still collecting unemployment, it was so bad!

Even worse, my husband got let go from his position 2 years after we moved. They stated it was a mutual agreement (the company wouldn’t pay for the tools he needed to land more contracts), but they really wanted to hire someone fresh out of college for pennies. This was 7 weeks before our wedding…

I managed to stay “employed” for a good amount of the time, even if I had no work. My husband couldn’t find anything, so he focused on the business he already owns and operates on a voluntary basis. It’s getting there, but he cannot pay himself a salary yet, but it is (thank God) paying for our health insurance. Don’t even get me started on Health Insurance!!

Anyway, this is the longest stint of unemployment I’ve ever gone through. I’ve begun ruining my excellent credit and driving myself into debt trying to keep up with the bills, but I just can’t… I’ve been working for my husband part time for minimum wage and can’t even hope to get myself out of this hellhole unless something changes SOON. School starts next week and I’ve had two very good interviews- came extremely close to getting an offer a month ago, but I was 2nd choice. Story of my life.

All I want is a simple full-time job at a reasonable wage. An entry level position somewhere with a salary so I can start digging myself out of this and take the burden off of my husband. Am I not deserving of one? According to what I’ve been reading here, I’m of the right age and qualifications/experience, so why is it still so hard? I see all of my former classmates getting jobs at Google, Indeed.com, and generally doing well in life, and I feel left out in the cold! I can’t stand it! I do so much volunteer work for my husband’s organization, I take care of the house, I work extremely hard at everything I do, and I have nothing to show for it! No appreciation for the skills I have! Only punishment!

How are young people like myself going to start a family when things are like this? We can barely feed ourselves! And now we can’t refinance our mortgage to help because we both make nothing! It’s nonsense! I WAS NEVER EVEN GIVEN A CHANCE TO HAVE A CAREER!

My anxiety is now off the charts and I cry almost every night! I want it to stop!

JadeBlue

Back to top Go down

Finally found this community! - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally found this community!

Post by need_a_break Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:55 am

Congrats, JadeBlue. Good luck. Very Happy

need_a_break

Back to top Go down

Post by JadeBlue Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Hey all,

Started the job yesterday! As I predicted, the teacher left earlier than expected (she was really pregnant when I met her!), but come Christmas I will be unemployed again. Going to plug away, work weekends for my husband, and make a dent in my debt while I can. Maybe they will have more temp work for me after the new year.

So conflicted right now about what to do next. Do I ignore them pulling me back in and go back to school to become a medical assistant or do I go with this and see if it leads to a permanent offer?

JadeBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:48 am

Yes

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by JadeBlue Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:44 am

Hi all. I am back after my 3 month position ended. It was hell. These were some of the worst students I have worked with, but I made some great connections, got new references, and all the experience I could ever ask for. The problem is, I have no where to go from here.

And I honestly think this community brought me luck in the job hunt. Now I don't know what to do... I came across an article stating that getting a minor certification in certain industries can really make a difference. I took that as a sign that I should go back to school for Medical Assisting or Office/Billing management, and I plan to call up a community college with a program I have been looking at. But I am so scared to take this step. What if I finally get offered a permanent position? What if school is too expensive or a step in the wrong direction?

JadeBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:32 am

JadeBlue wrote:Hi all. I am back after my 3 month position ended. It was hell. These were some of the worst students I have worked with, but I made some great connections, got new references, and all the experience I could ever ask for. The problem is, I have no where to go from here.

And I honestly think this community brought me luck in the job hunt. Now I don't know what to do... I came across an article stating that getting a minor certification in certain industries can really make a difference. I took that as a sign that I should go back to school for Medical Assisting or Office/Billing management, and I plan to call up a community college with a program I have been looking at. But I am so scared to take this step. What if I finally get offered a permanent position? What if school is too expensive or a step in the wrong direction?

Hi Jade,

I'm happy yet sad to see you back here. Don't sell yourself short as to your future prospects there. Of course I don't know the full details about your last gig, but you got some great connections. This is good as gold these days. Today especially, it's all about NETWORKING! Don't be surprised if, thru one of your connections another temporary position opens up, one that may lead to a fulltime-permanent position.

Having certs is valuable these days. It seems every occupation these days requires some type of cert or license, even a handyman! It's just a symptom of the fierce competion with so many people being out of work. Again, I don't know your situation, but if you can afford the time and tuition to get certified, it will probably be worth the investment. In my opinion though, stay away from those for-profit "schools". To me, most are just glorified scams that charge huge amounts in tuition and do little to get you a job after the program ends.
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by JadeBlue Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:49 am

jmainframe wrote:
JadeBlue wrote:Hi all. I am back after my 3 month position ended. It was hell. These were some of the worst students I have worked with, but I made some great connections, got new references, and all the experience I could ever ask for. The problem is, I have no where to go from here.

Hi Jade,

I'm happy yet sad to see you back here. Don't sell yourself short as to your future prospects there. Of course I don't know the full details about your last gig, but you got some great connections. This is good as gold these days. Today especially, it's all about NETWORKING! Don't be surprised if, thru one of your connections another temporary position opens up, one that may lead to a fulltime-permanent position.

Having certs is valuable these days. It seems every occupation these days requires some type of cert or license, even a handyman! It's just a symptom of the fierce competion with so many people being out of work. Again, I don't know your situation, but if you can afford the time and tuition to get certified, it will probably be worth the investment. In my opinion though, stay away from those for-profit "schools". To me, most are just glorified scams that charge huge amounts in tuition and do little to get you a job after the program ends.

Thanks.

That's why I want to make sure that I choose the right path. My Mother literally went off on me because she thinks getting these lower-level degrees is completely worthless and doesn't improve your earning potential like a Masters will. Easy to say when you have an MBA in accounting!! A Masters these days without a job is worth less than the paper it is printed on. And no one in my family understands that. It would cost me my house to go back for a Masters, so I think a small certification in an in-demand field is the way to go. But is it meant to be? I also don't know if I will be able to get enough financial aid! From my research, it doesn't look promising.

JadeBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:05 am

The good thing Jade is that you have options! It may not seem so now, but that's a great position to be in potentially.
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2