Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election

+2
invisiblecitizen
End of the Line
6 posters

Go down

Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election Empty Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:49 am

Many media personalities, articles and political figures have moved on and away the last two years from discussing the Original 99ers.

Who are these 99ers?

They are a part of the Occupy Movement 99%, but existed before Occupy Wall Street was formed. The 99ers felt the impact of the 'economic slowdown and unemployment crisis' towards the end of President George W. Bush Administration in 2008.
http://www.reachoutjobsearch.com/2012/06/revisiting-99ers-why-past-warnings.html?m=1

Back to top Go down

Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election Empty Re: Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election

Post by End of the Line Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:50 am

I hope it does cost Obama the presidency. I am not Dem or Repub but I think Obama is a total loser when it comes to stimulating the economy. Yes I know he inherited a bad economy from Bush but 4 years is more than enough time to turn it around.

End of the Line

Back to top Go down

Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election Empty Re: Revisiting the 99ers, why past warnings about long-term unemployed could cost President Obama 2012 Election

Post by invisiblecitizen Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:21 am

The President must be extremely careful in what he does about the economy because there are many people in Congress and this nation waiting to impeach him for ANY reason. If he does too much to help the unemployed, he will be up for impeachment and the unemployed won't have the resources to support him.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Well, as hard it is to believe, Clinton is the only Democrat to serve 2 full terms as president since FDR. So history's certainly not on Obama's side. Combine that with this sputtering economy he continues to "inherit", and he don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting re-elected. IMHO

Quite frankly, unless the President and ALL members of congress finally decide to unite and fight this problem head-in, it really doesn't matter who is president.
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:37 pm

At this late date, I don't think the President or the Members of Congress have unemployment assistance of any type on their "to do" list this year. What we, the unemployed and underemployed, must do is find our "big stick." If we don't have a big stick to bring to the battles, nobody is going to do much more than give us a photo-op. So the question is: What kind of big stick can we carry while being stomped on, ignored, and robbed while also struggling daily against all other kinds of great odds?

To find "our big stick" to take to the party, we must think outside the box (because nothing inside the box has our name on it). As George Costanza so aptly put it: We need "hand."

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:45 pm

I cannot believe the micro vision that some of you have. This economic struggle has been a global affair, not just America. Only problem is that America's corporate game plan went sour many years ago and sold out to the world. Now the world is in flux with the balance.

So now you want to have a symbol, meaning our President, so you can pin our stupidity on and say it should have been fixed "by now"?

Does that make you feel better?

Exactly what would any one of you have done differently? Got talk... let's hear how YOU would bring US back. Or is that not a factor in this thrash, trash, and burn?

Please tell us. I'd personally appreciate the country coming back on your obviously exclusive insight...

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:36 am

Problem is, if we had known the truth of our situation from the beginning, most of us would have done things differently for our protection - as we have done all our lives. We would not have spent time and money chasing jobs that were not there or not for "us" for one reason or another, or another. Updating our resumes diligently on "job" websites only to wonder why our email boxes were filling up with so much junk mail. Being told we needed to update our wardrobes - so we did. Being told we needed a "professional" to write our resumes because our old resumes did not "sell" us - so we did. Being told we no longer knew how to be successful in an interview - so we tried to learn the "new" way. Being told we needed to switch careers (pay for training) to a field that was hiring. Then find out later that employers had already decided that they weren't hiring the unemployed. Age discrimination is rampant and unchecked. No experience is a big "no-no." No jobs after applying for anything at minimum wage and less.

We paid taxes, obeyed the law, voted, and supported our country. We were taught that our government would do what was right in a time of crisis. Instead, we are thrown a few coins for a while so we can fiercely struggle while trying to figure out what happened and what to do, swept under the rug, and snearingly told to stop luxuriating in our new-found poverty and get a job.

Yesterday, Ben Bernake told Congress that things weren't "bad enough" yet to begin worrying about unemployment. Not bad enough for who? Its ok for the unemployed to wake up every morning with their stomachs in knots gasping for breath, while our "betters" or "lucky-iers" bask in the knowledge that they will never be unemployed because they are special or have special privileges? Until it happens to them.

Yeah. Its ok for us to live like rats because we should not have believed all the trash talk that was coming from our government and the news media. Our fault. Our fault. Our fault. So forget you tens of millions of lives because you didn't work hard enough, didn't save every penny (we knew we would get bailouts - you assumed), and thought you would continue to live a modest life in the America that you supported. No one plans to be robbed!

The question now is: What can we do that will make some sort of impact? Something will will start the snowball rolling in our favor, even a little bit. We can't give up because we are not quitters. We have been hit in the jaw a few times, punched hard in the stomach more than a few times. How do we get up before the ten-count ends?

Anyone with what they think is a dumb idea? Its a good start.

Just announced: the President is going to a give a speach on the jobs bill. Just another speach? We will soon know. (I apologize in advance for the errors - my mind is a constant jumble these days.)

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:48 am

BOYCOTT WALMART and BANKS (not that we have any money)! This sector of the economy has done more than their share of depressing the economy and keeping wages and benefits as low as the law allows!

There are alternatives. If you put your mind to it and get serious about it, you'll think of something, i.e., credit unions, low cost supermarkets - Aldi's in my area, Target for prescriptions (same program as Walmart), etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:19 pm

No worries here about Wal-Mart, their presence (stores) are not allowed in my area of northern calif -- but we do have a KMart and Target. I believe most banks are corrupt! When I sell my home, any proceeds will be placed in a credit union.

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:27 pm

End of the Line wrote:I hope it does cost Obama the presidency. I am not Dem or Repub but I think Obama is a total loser when it comes to stimulating the economy. Yes I know he inherited a bad economy from Bush but 4 years is more than enough time to turn it around.

Please no debate --- I would have liked to have seen more improvement in this economy, but I feel it's worsened, some of which is due to world economy. I am disillusioned that Obama has not displayed more spunk and played "hard ball" during his term. Yes I voted democrat, but I think Romney will be a disasterous choice.

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:30 pm

invisible citizen ---- I agree 100% with your post. Well stated and factual. If I had known what I know now -- I would certainly have done a few things differently. I spent two years chasing jobs that were not there. At soon to be 65 -- I'm done.

Last edited by carlch on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:34 pm

invisiblecitizen wrote:The President must be extremely careful in what he does about the economy because there are many people in Congress and this nation waiting to impeach him for ANY reason. If he does too much to help the unemployed, he will be up for impeachment and the unemployed won't have the resources to support him.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the extension of Tiers 1-4 unemployment in December. I think "you know what" will really hit the fan then.

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:26 pm

I agree, its going to hit the fan and maybe even before December because layoffs are accelerating. I can no longer buy into the constant rubbish they are trying to force down our throats. This entire unemployment situation should have been viewed as intolerable. Instead it has been met with a casual, off-hand "things will get better because we are concerned too" attitude. Outright age discrimination has been completely ignored and it's getting worse. Congress has chosen to let things run their course. If we cancelled their pay "while things run their course," we would see some immediate and drastic action. What worries me is that once these in-it-for-themselves "officials" win their elections, our plight will be even more strongly ignored until its time for the next election. In the meantime, they will be working hard to reduce/eliminate all unemployment assistance, while voting themselves (in secret) what they consider to be a much needed and deserved pay raise.

Are we choosing to elect incompetents, or are competent people choosing to stay away?

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:24 pm

It would be to the best interest of this country if Obama remained president and we voted in a majority democratic congress.
Every bill or measure that the Obama administration presented to Boehner and his congress was shot down in flames while they voted themselves a raise and the rest of American's suffered who were not part of the 1% and do not much matter in their eyes.
Romney who believes corporations are people, would not make a good president, not only for his Mormonism but also for his stances on some of the policies of America that have been established for years.
While Obama, who is constantly being attacked because of his birth certificate which to me is a low blow in any campaign, hasn't been forceful enough in jump starting the economy.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Exactly. Obama needs to be forced to do something because he will be fiercely criticized with or without good reason. I believe that he does want to put America back to work, but how much of his neck is he willing to stick out. If Republicans win the majority in the House and Senate and Obama wins re-election, we are doomed and unemployment and underemployment will escalate. If Romney wins the presidency, we will have the same track record that we have now which is lots of talk and no action, and we will probably see all our benefits greatly reduced. In the past, America stepped up to help its citizenry, now, only corporations and big donors receive help. It going to take a long and hard battle to change that around.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:55 pm

I think Obama is starting to put his neck out. The first sign was the gay marriage thing, when he came out and said he supported it, it was a slap to the face of the conservatives for sure, but whether he does or does not really support it and its talk, at least he publically announced it. So that in itself may be a stepping stone for a new Obama.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Injeun Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:27 am

I'm a 99er who is/was in no way connected with the streeters.
Injeun
Injeun

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:19 am

With more and more money needing to be raised for these elections, and special interest gladly shoveling the money their way, I don't think there is room to have much consideration for the average voter, much less the unemployed. We get lip service before the election and then put on the shelf until the next election. I am glad the president supports gay marriage because everyone should be able to share their life with whomever they choose. Marriage is about sooo much more than creating children. To me, it just makes sense to pursue happiness in one's life without doing harm to others.

As for the Streeters, they are at least standing up for what they believe is right and fair. As more and more people see their quality of life deteriorating and everything they have worked for taken away, they too will feel the need to push back. There is no other effective voice for us but the streets. Most of the citizens in this country don't think their lives and future are hopeless enough to take such a drastic action as publicly protesting. But those that are able to look around realize that the American way of life is disappearing and feel it is their civic duty to make sure it gets rescued.

It is a national shame that schools stopped teaching civics. It seems that at least half of the population has no idea how our government is supposed to be run, nor what a government of the people, by the people and for the people is supposed to do.

With corporate media constantly manufacturing wedges to keep the citizens divided, we are facing a steep uphill battle to maintain our Constitutional Rights. How many people remember when all media were required to perform public service activities and make a detailed record available to the public? How many people remember when tv stations and newspapers had investigative reporters that actually investigated matters of importance. Now we have "the question of the day (haha)" and all the reality shows, old sitcom reruns and cartoons (a race to the bottom) that we can stand to watch because we can’t afford to do anything else. It’s called living within our means. “Go outside and enjoy nature and exercise” they tell us (as they ride in their blacked-out window limousines). Sure. Just don’t be careless and put yourself on any kind of routine and never after dusk.

Yes, we are vilified by corporate media for demanding fair treatment, honesty and jobs-but that doesn't make us wrong.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:47 pm

invisibible - With corporations monopolizing and owning much of the media, I've come to rely more on PBS and the BBC channels for my news of the day. I feel we have a more unbiased information there. I also respect Charlie Rose, Bill Moyers, and The News Hour etc. After taking a a political science class (part of a life long learning program) I gained a greater knowledge about our government and sources of trustworthy news media. The Washington Post, NY Times The Econmist were a few mentioned. Websites ending in .org, .edu, and .net also provide a solid range information.

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks carlch - the reception here for PBS is terrible. I desperately need to find a way to get better reception after giving up cable. I try to watch channel 9 because of Charlie Rose, but that constant celebrity worship drives me away. I like Scott Pelley (sp?) also. Recently, I ran across RT.com on channel 30.4 and look forward to the Keiser Report among other things. And a special thanks for the website info because I feel like I am information starved and will have fun hunting down some good websites! Trustworthy. That's what I miss.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down