Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
adjudication anxiety... EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
adjudication anxiety... EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
adjudication anxiety... EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
adjudication anxiety... EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
adjudication anxiety... EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
adjudication anxiety... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
adjudication anxiety... EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
adjudication anxiety... EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
adjudication anxiety... EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
adjudication anxiety... EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
adjudication anxiety... EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
adjudication anxiety... EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
adjudication anxiety... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
adjudication anxiety... EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
adjudication anxiety... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

adjudication anxiety...

2 posters

Go down

adjudication anxiety... Empty adjudication anxiety...

Post by eh85 Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:50 pm

hello, all. I'm new to this forum and am looking for a little advice and a bit of support. Here is a quick timeline of my unemployment claim situation, as it were:

February 25 - separated from employer (see below for details)
-searched and applied for jobs during the next month, to no avail-
March 25 - filed initial claim
April 6 - received approved financial determination letter, PA unemployment debit card info, unemployment handbook, all that jazz.

I called my unemployment office to see what the holdup was with my benefits, and they informed me I was supposed to have a telephone interview with an adjudicator. No big deal, I thought. The kind lady transferred me to an adjudicator who asked me some questions about my separation from my employer (to be extremely brief, she berated and humiliated me in front of customers on numerous occasions, and the day I left I was literally backed into a corner when she pulled her antics. She made my personal issues known to other employees as well as customers by doing this, which is a direct violation of company policy).

Now, my questions are these. How long does the adjudicator decision making process take? What could I expect from my employer? What are my chances of my claim being approved? Where do I go from here? I'm very anxious about this whole situation. I have, of course, been filing my weekly certification as instructed, in addition to actively seeking a new job.

I really need some justice to be done. I didn't do anything to provoke this behavior, nor did I deserve that treatment especially in front of customers who could plainly see and hear what was going on. Help Sad

eh85

Back to top Go down

adjudication anxiety... Empty Re: adjudication anxiety...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:08 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum, eh85.

I'm not familiar with this process but I found this
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/1130869-unemployment-adjudication-process.html
I hope it answers some of your questions. It looks like the adjudication process can take up to 21 days. Hopefully one of our members here can help as well.

We are glad you found us and I hope things work out for you!

Back to top Go down

Post by eh85 Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:22 pm

thank you for the link, S&T! I certainly appreciate you taking the time to find that for me. it seems like all there is to do is wait, which I hate doing. I have surgery coming up in 6 weeks and need to either find a job or start receiving unemployment compensation so I can pay for my health care. (previous employer offered health benefits to full time and salaried employees only. I, of course, worked full time hours but was still labeled as "part time hourly".) this is so discouraging :/

eh85

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:30 pm

That's awful! I hope the surgery is nothing too serious? My prayers are with you. Too many people have been put in the same position as you and it's terrible. Employers should not be allowed to get away with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:53 am

I just found this article in the Huffington Post. If you are having surgery, please don't rely on unemployment insurance to pay for your healthcare! If you are denied, you will have NO health insurance and left with a pre-existing condition. Take some action now to secure those benefits for a few months, do what you can to accept COBRA coverage! You have 60 days from the date of termination to elect this option.
All U.S. states disqualify workers from receiving unemployment benefits if they quit their jobs, are fired for misconduct, or refuse suitable work, according to the Labor Department. Workers that are laid off are eligible for unemployment benefits.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/16/talmage-lord-unemployment-benefits_n_1428945.html?ref=unemployment

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by eh85 Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks for the info! I didn't have health coverage before I left my job, am I still eligible for COBRA? This is all so confusing!

eh85

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:39 pm

eh85 wrote:Thanks for the info! I didn't have health coverage before I left my job, am I still eligible for COBRA? This is all so confusing!
No, you are only eligible for COBRA if you have been insured.

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:10 am

In Ohio, when you have surgery or a sever illness you should temporary stop your Unemploymet Insurance. If caught that is Fraud. You use the same return to work form your doctor who says it is Ok to work. Then you can start collecting. It is tough in PA, just like OH to find work.

I had two different total knee replacements, during unemployment. I don't know your type of surgery. You can refuse work if it is unsuitable if you had for certain types of surgery. This way it is documented. This way you can collect UI and heal futher. They will try to put you in a hard labor situation. The ADA act can be used. You also have your past education and skills to call unsuitable.

Remember to apply to the Hospital for charity. They could help pay some of your bill. I had COBRA and the hospital paid what the insurance would not. Remember with new Obamacare Health rules there is no pre-existing conditions to stop you from getting insurance. Something to think about, do some calling.

Go luck on your surgery. PA should have about the same laws as OH, verify. I hope this information is useful.

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:53 am

I believe the pre-existing condition clause of the Affordable Health Care Reform Act is only applicable to children at this time. It should apply to everyone in 2014 if the Supreme Court doesn't deem it "unconstituional".

Last month, I spent days googling and searching for health insurance coverage for myself. I was turned down by every one, due to state insurance regs and a pre-existing condition (hypertension which has been under control for years). Carriers included the major ones including United Health, CIGNA, Aetna, Blue Cross, etc.

All that could be offered to me was a short term health insurance policy. I didn't go for that, what a scam. They will insure you for six months, and at the end of that period, renewing the policy only one time after the initial months, at their discretion. In other words, if anything serious comes up, they won't renew the policy and you are stuck with another pre-existing condition.

Start making those phone calls! Hopefully you will have better luck than I had here in RI. Health insurance for the unemployed here is non-existent unless you have dependent children.m Hospital charity care does exist, but only covers diagnostics, not doctor and prescription costs.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:06 pm

http://www.pciplan.com/applicants/apply.html

DIRI, you might qualify because you have not had any insurance for six months or longer, and you have a pre-existing condition, and you say you have already been turned down by an insurance company, or a registered licensed broker has writtten a letter stating you cannot qualify for any insurance companies in your state. However, first check to see if RI is running the program, or they have the Gov't doing it for your State. Premiums are set by your State, read the rules, etc. Good Luck to you, and best wishes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum