Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits

5 posters

Go down

House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits Empty House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits

Post by Guest Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:07 am

Meanwhile, advocates of extending unemployment benefits for 99 weeks for another year acknowledge that there will probably be a compromise on how many weeks to provide states — 73 is the maximum number of federal weeks on top of a maximum of 26 weeks provided by the states for 99 total.

Under President Obama's jobs proposal, the program would likely gradually drop the maximum number of weeks to 79.

Advocates for 99 weeks estimate that the number will fall somewhere between 79 and 99 and could allow for waivers to states facing double-digit unemployment — eight states exceeded 10 percent in November, two fewer than in October, according to recent figures from the Labor Department.

The government expects the cost of benefits to fall as unemployment drops in the states.

The vast majority of states — 43 in all — saw their unemployment rate decrease in November, a month that saw the biggest decline in the national rate in nearly a year.

With the unemployment rate dipping to 8.6 percent last month, only three states — New York, Rhode Island and Wyoming — saw a rise in unemployment, each by one-tenth of a percentage point, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/1007-other/201327-house-dems-prepping-for-fight-over-proposed-cuts-to-jobless-benefits?utm_campaign=briefingroom&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitterfeed

Back to top Go down

House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits Empty Re: House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits

Post by Marian Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:31 pm

As it is CA the deadline for the Fed-Ed is March 4 and that is exactly when I start it... Wow! Scary!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits Empty Re: House Dems prepping for fight over cuts to jobless benefits

Post by wausauguy Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:22 am

I have to say being unemployed long-term has left some imprint on me. If I had not lost my job, I suspect I would not see the "need" for unemployment extensions, but I was layed off and I am still unemployed. I would like to think that I would have been rooting for extensions even if I still had my job, but I am writing this to remind myself when I feel people do not understand the long-term unemployment situation that unless someone has experienced it in the last 3 yeas they really do not have the experience to understand.

I hope and pray that our government continues to do the best it can for unemployed people.

I also find it odd but it seems for unemployed people it is almost better if their state rate of unemployment does not improve so that they get the extensions. This is a real hard time for people who have been unemployed for a year or more, unemployment may be cut, and they face applying for jobs only to be overlooked. But, I think some people do see things for what they really are. We have to keep faith.

Merry (late) Christmas and Happy New Year to all....

Blessings...

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:55 am

There going to talk about UE cuts when in Jan Feb and March UE rates will climb again as forcasted. A local factory near us is going to shut down leaving over 2,500 people jobless. So that will hurt PA's UE rate as well. I feel talking about reducing weeks is wrong. The problems with this country are so obvious. What needs to be done is lower the corp tax rate. Give tax breaks to small business and companies that hire long term unemployed. Then give the 99ers 14 more weeks. I feel it needs to be done just by looking at the numbers as a whole. That is the number 1 problem. UE has never been addressed as a whole.

Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:10 am

Rose.... You are right on. If we want jobs to stay here the corp tax rate has to be competitive with other countries. It seems the talking point to demonize corporations and say they need to pay more taxes but all that does is send jobs away. I certainly agree that individuals who make more should pay more, but the big picture has to be considered if we want to keep factory and even office / accounting jobs which have left.

And of course there also needs to be a push to hire long-term unemployed, without a push whether it means tax credits towards paroll taxes or a law that makes it discriminatory to ask about unemployment in the last 3 years if the person has had steady employment before the crash. Something... needs to be done. Just suggestions imperfect as they are, but it seems the talking points are retraining, well some of us alreadyhave supposedly marketable degrees and experience and I am still not landing a job.

As for the extensions, they need to remain in place until unemployment reaches 3%, I feel it needs to be that low because the "official" unemloyment rate is not a true rate. Even at 3%, I believe eal unemployment would still be 5 - 10%. Right now I believe unemployment varies by area between 15 an 25% and this should be such an outrage but I feel that neither party has acknowledged this opressive situation for the long-term unemployed.

Working hard... applying for many jobs does not seem to necessarily work right now when every position has at least 6 people (and some hundreds) clawing for it.

Thank you for sharing Rose. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, I just felt I had to say my views.

Happy Holidays everyone...

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:36 am

But the real taxes that corporations pay in this country are already ridiculously low. Some corporations, like GE, paid ZERO taxes last year. The reason they're not hiring here has noting to do with corporate tax rates.

The main reason that corporations want to hire outside the USA is much lower wages. And the only way that you can effectively counter that is to impose tariffs on goods brought into this country. Make it cost them same to manufacture over there as it is to do it here. That would be fair trade, not the bs free trade they tout that's really just the race to the bottom.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:23 pm

Joan is right to her point, and they are not hiring because of Unions and higher wages in the U.S..
American factory wages are out of touch with reality (lower wages overseas). Until this country recognizes that some jobs that use to pay well are no longer viable or should pay well this debate will go on and on.

We need to retrain workers and especially the UE (in fields that can provide the accustomed wage) and kiss those jobs goodbye as they are gone forever (or at least until the wages overseas move up more).

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Oh that's right, I forgot...once we put protect our markets with tariffs, we have to get rid of the union-busting, right-to-work-for-less war on the middle class that's been going on for the last 30 or so years. Thanks for reminding me, tristen.

Retraining, education, eh, nice...most of us including me have done that three or four times already. While tuition skyrockets. Looks like a money-grubbing racket to me
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:27 pm

Market dictates costs; consumers dictate market and consumers want products that cost less. Those jobs are no longer "careers" (and maybe never should have been).

When the market changes the job changes (just ask everyone laid off from Wall Street, nobody is crying for them).

Somebody who hangs bumpers on cars or bags groceries at a store has a job not a career (and may have made a bad career move considering that they could be replaced by machines or the skill set for their job has become so low that it no longer merits the higher wage).
It is not the consumer’s requirement to make a job a career by paying too much for the products that he or she makes that are no longer cost effective.

The history of manufacturing shows when industries die (form modernization, or changes in the market) so do those jobs.
It is ridiculous to make society pay for the career choices of individuals.

I agree that manufacturing is important and actually a defense issue but this redistribution of wealth at all levels is just plain ridiculous and is actually accelerating the decline of America and the western world.

We need a viable education system (not the failed one that you have experienced) and UE system (that does more then just provide income)that gives workers the mobility to move around and work in the emerging industries that pay the better wages as opposed to crying foul and trying to maintain a wage level inconsistent with the market or needs of the consumer.

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down