Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks

4 posters

Go down

GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  Empty GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:04 am

Social Security payments to millions of retirees and people with disabilities could be threatened if President Obama and Congress can't agree to increase the government's debt limit by Aug. 2, a new analysis shows.

If Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment benefits, payments to defense contractors and interest payments on Treasury bonds were exempt, that would be all the government could afford for the month. No money for troops or veterans. No tax refunds. No food stamps or welfare. No federal salaries or benefits.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2011-06-28-debt-limit-impasse-Congress-Obama-Social-Security_n.htm?csp=ipmps

Back to top Go down

GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  Empty Re: GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks

Post by tristen303 Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:51 am

And payments to the military etc etc etc here comes the fear mongering and spin but guess what this is what happens when your broke....everyone on here knows that and if your self-reliant then there is no option but digging yourself out of the mess as painfully as it may be. Not running over to your neighbor’s house and reminding him that he owes you, unless of course you have entitlement mentality.

tristen303

Back to top Go down

GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks  Empty Re: GOP grandstanding on debt limit could jeopardize Social Security payments, unemployment checks

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Dick Durbin was on Morning Joe this am discussing this very subject. I will get the link when available and post it. It was great information. He also spoke a great length about the jobs, tax revenues and what needs to be done.

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:49 pm

This would be disastrous. I don't even want to think about it.
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:13 pm

The problem is that these elected officials can't agree on anything. And of course, they waste a lot of time.
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Wasted time is all they are doing. Mitch McConnell is adamant he will not cave on tax cuts for the rich. Now, this time I am glad he tipped his hand, we know exactly what direction to point fingers. It's ridiculous we are still even talking about this. I hope to God they know what they are doing, as this not only has far reaching effects on our country but others as well and that could significantly create disaster, like it or not, we are all connected and they can destroy us if we don't play nice. They don't get this done properly we could see unemployment at 15-17% within weeks. Not what we need right now and I am tired of hearing about wreckless spending, too many people are out of work and we need revenues. Everyone shares the pain.

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:19 pm

As everyone knows I am against tax increase without big spending cuts it isn't a revenue problem it is a spending problem and these darn wars are killing us and IMO started the slide so we elect Obama and what happens we get involved in Africa..lol and people actually think that there is a difference between the parties...and you tea partiers are not party your hard right with better marketing.

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:43 am

For the Exhaustees that have survived for more than a year without any income. Bring it on. That is the only way that the rest of the nation knows what we have been through!

Why play games. Bring it on. When your ready get your pitchforks and go after the Wall Street Bankers. The real game starts Aug 2.

Better yet, don't let the Congress go home for the July recess. No food, sleep and showers. Lock them in and keep the media and lobbyists out! We can also camp outside and don't let any of them escape.

They only get a restroom break every 4 hours under house arrest. Does anyone have a better plan?

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:45 am

You mean the what 85 percent of the country that doesn't think about us or isn't left because they are working. Go after bankers with pitchforks wow and this is the side of gun control I love the hypocrisy of the left

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:35 am

Tristen I agree with some things you say and some I don't. However, when you spout nonsensical party lines it doesn't help your argument. What are you talking about leftists being anti-gun? I am a leftist and am against outlawing guns. I don't know any other leftist that is either. In fact I can't think of anyone in government that is trying to ban guns at all.
What next? Are you going to start saying that legalizing gay marriage will lead to legalizing man/dog marriage?

As far spending vs revenue to fix the problem is concerned, either one would logically work. However, why would you make all the cuts on the back of the poor and working classes when you could increase taxes on people who make millions? It's not like they would even miss the money. If you didn't want to do that we can only go with spending cuts. This would be fine with me as long as that money came from oil subsidies, the defense department, and bring everyone home from Iraq and Afghanistan.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm

Ah the voice of reason and logic returns (get them is pretty good too) The cuts would have to come from the people that used the services too not as drastic as that bad person Ryan suggested but still a measure of good faith but that should happen only after the wars have been defunded, oil subs and farm subs etc. then tax increase cuts with Clinton era tax increase as the model. As for the gun comment it was a smartass statement pointing to those way back when the Ariz congresswoman was shot they lit up the board about gun control, magazine control etc. I by no means think every liberal is for gun control as for marriage I could care a less I'm actually quite shocked so many do… my buddies and I laugh about it, in guy world the best excuse to have would be” Hey babe you know I love you and want to get married but it isn't legal sorry”.

What do you think about the debt limit argument and the constitutional arguments?

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum