Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =(

5 posters

Go down

Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( Empty Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =(

Post by djz Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:44 am

I just lost my job tonight, over some MODERATED.

I can totally relate to the mean spirited work environment.

I basically just got fired because a manager here that doesn't like me started some rumors about me and then accused me, with no proof, of stealing from the business, which is ludicrous. You would think that when you have 20 cameras scattered throughout the business proof of something like that would be easy enough to come by, but apparently all you need to do is accuse someone in the corporate environment and they are guilty by accusation.

This lady has threatened me twice with termination over things that are considered non issues at other stores. It is easier however though to get rid of an underling than deal with any type of conflict resolution or verification of stories. I wasn't even given a chance to defend myself.

There are some positives in this though.

1.) I really hated working here - I hate the job, I hate the people, I hate the location.

2.) I am pretty sure that working from the last week in december 2010, until now qualifies me for unemployment.

3.) Both my boss and my trainer allowed told me they thought what happened to me was bogus and that I could use them as positive references.

4.) My termination papers here said that I was fired due to not being able to meet production standards(which I read on NYSUI qualifies you for unemployment).

It's just difficult, before my fiance lost one of her jobs(she was working two) and then I got laid off from mine. I just don't want to go through all this again.

Now she has an amazing job at least we can fall back on, but still it doesn't stop me from feeling like the most worthless piece of crap on the planet.

djz

Back to top Go down

Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( Empty Re: Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =(

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:57 am

Hi There DJZ,

Sorry about the crap that happened at the job today. But, from what you have posted under your no 1 positive reason, I think it looks good for you. Who would want a job you hated? Yes, I understand. It's all about money to survive, but you appear to be way above just that. Sounds like you are already moving on to your next gig. Getting good references is important, and that is really promising from your super or manager. With so many businesses, small and large using us, what happened is just a stone in the road. Play it smart with the UI, make sure they know you worked hard for the business, and no one had told you prior that there were any issues, you don't have any written warnings about your work. UI should work out ok. Take Care.

Back to top Go down

Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =( Empty Re: Just lost my job tonight, over some *** =(

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:00 am

DJZ, I'm so sorry to hear this. Perhaps it's for the best, as you indicate. However consider seeing an employment attorney.

Let us know how you are doing. Please take care.

Back to top Go down

Post by djz Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:04 am

Thanks for the kind words, I feel like working here it was just a matter of time before this lady got her wish and had me fired. She has just done something similar to another employee that works here. The other employee was in the hospital sick for two days, so this manager was angry with that, in retaliation this manager cut her hours from 37(the previous week) to 13(this week).

As far as an employment attorney, what would I say? I mean what could they do? NY state is an at will employment state, and what I have gathered from that in the past is that any employer here can fire you for any, or no reason, at all, none has to be given.

djz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:02 am

Employers do this because they can. The labor pool is enormous. We hear stories like this everyday. People are let go for no reason, and because it is "at will employment" they can treat us like dirt. Many employers often terminate an employee right before it is time for any benefit package to kick in, and move on the their next "victim".

The new trend for employers is to use temp agencies that post jobs for three month assignments. Once your three months is up, you are out and the cycle continues. Again, it all goes back to the cost of providing benefits and higher wages to employees. Another frightening trend is hiring individuals as "1099 employees". Even though in most cases the practice is not legal, people are so desperate for work, they take the jobs failing to realize that it is not worth it in the end when they file their quarterly tax statements. The DOL and NLRB are swamped with these issues and don't have the manpower to investigate each one.

Hopefully, because you have recently been employed, you will have a great advantage finding another job very soon.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:30 am

Happened to me once, I had really lazy coworkers, but I am a busy bee, so the TOLD (no frikin shame) that I had to go because I was making them look bad. And then the bullying and the lazy supervisor sided with them because she was as lazy as they were.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:53 pm

All of this reminds me of my former job. The HR department hated me to begin with when I questioned why I was making far less than my male coworkers. Not to mention the head of HR was the rumored mistress of a local politician/minister/race baiter so she would cause problems with me. Most of the HR department consisted of members of the minister's church and they tried to get rid of people they didn't like. The HR bad people used to make up false stories about me, such as I was dressed sleazy and that I would fight people (both lies). The head HR nut came to my face and told me she would get rid of me if it was the last thing she did. Ironically I knew I was going to get fired/downsized/whatever about 6 months before I did because the one HR assistant (who I liked and she hated the other HR bad people) would tell me things they were planning to do and to be prepared because she would overheard meetings.

Not to mention lazy people. The HR bad people would sit and do nothing for hours. Actually, this was a company where many people did nothing. It was a government run certain transportation agency in Chicago. I was a hard worker for nothing.

Ironically there is now a state investigation on all of this. The head guy committed suicide (good riddance to trash)and they discovered he was stealing money and had a mistress (he was disgustingly ugly). They are now being investigated for severe corruption, including severe nepotism. It was awful there and it was known you couldn't be promoted unless you knew the right people (or paid them off).

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:38 pm

That's scary, new_wave-
Years ago, I worked in a place where good people were either driven out or terminated in such a way that they could NEVER find work in that field ever again. By the time it was my turn, the entire place was staffed by members of the same church group, and the clients outings included going to their church.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:41 pm

couth11 wrote:That's scary, new_wave-
Years ago, I worked in a place where good people were either driven out or terminated in such a way that they could NEVER find work in that field ever again. By the time it was my turn, the entire place was staffed by members of the same church group, and the clients outings included going to their church.

Very scary but that's government in Chicago. By any chance is that company in Chicago too? That sounds identical to the HR at my former employer.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Isn't it amazing how members of church group decide to think one way, and then end up actually doing damage as opposed to nurturing/mentoring others. But, they probably don't see it that way at all, you become the bad one to them because you don't fit in with their church group, etc. Many years ago, I saw something like this happening because some employees decided they didn't want to join the baseball/softball team. That was it, you were basically on your way out.

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Yep but to be fair it's not just church groups. Anytime you deal with anyone with a pack mentality (meaning several from the same organization) this happens. I once worked at a company that tended to hire from the same fraternity from some college (forget which college).

See, I'd willingly join any work sports team but I love to play sports and am athletic. However not everyone is and when employers do hire based on this (and yes had an interview where I was asked if I play sports)they are stating they want a specific person: namely no one out of shape.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by mscpateach Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:52 am

Yeah it sucks to work in an environment where there is that "pack mentality". Especially if you are not in the pack. What ever happened to going to work, doing your best/working hard, respecting others and taking your azz on home???? If I were an employer that would be my search criteria. lol As long as your not high/drunk on the job, not costing me money, not offensive to others...you got a job.

mscpateach

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Unfortunately the work environment has become this idea that work is more important than outside of work. I disagree, and have always felt one needs to separate both. I'm always friendly to people I work with, but socialize outside of work? I rarely do. I've seen people becoe close friends with people at work then something happens and the tie is broken. Happened to my dad, where he had a job where he became close friends to many. He even sponsored a pool party every year at the house. He then lost his job and most of his so called friends disappeared.

No thanks, I'd rather not deal with it.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by mscpateach Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:40 pm

I maintain the attitude on any job that "my friends don't work here" and "I came here for money not friends". I will be polite and friendly but even after hours work events are treated like work time by me. In other words any work related event that I am forced to attend is treated like an 8 hour shift. I do not relax nor "get loose" with co-workers or superiors regardless what others do. I refuse to be the topic of discussion in the break room. Also, sometimes working with church folks can be a more painful experience than "worldly" folks.

mscpateach

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:52 pm

I am always on work mode when it comes to work. I do talk to a few coworkers now on a more personal level, but am very leery when it comes to work and these were all people I wasn't competiting with so to speak.

Yes church people can be very judgmental. I've had a lot of problems with church people. If you believe differently they will often tell you that you are wrong.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:05 am

New_Wave_Princess wrote:
couth11 wrote:That's scary, new_wave-

Very scary but that's government in Chicago. By any chance is that company in Chicago too? That sounds identical to the HR at my former employer.

My company was based out of Maine/New Hampshire- they might have added other branches, though. One had an in-law that worked in an "official" capacity at some governing agency. No one had a chance.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by djz Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:09 pm

So an update.

Minutes after I got told my fiance that I got fired and lost my job, the big boss calls me back and says that they may be able to help me.

He tells me that he talked with HR and that they didn't really have grounds to fire me with no proof, and also having never informed of their payroll expectations and without giving me a chance to correct the situation.

He tells me to meet him to discuss it further. He calls me during the week and tells me that I have my job back, and at the meeting he will have my new schedule for a new store.

I meet him, at that point he tells me he is just waiting on HR to get back to him, and I should have my schedule and the decision the next day.

It's been over a week, and I haven't heard anything from him. I was trying to give him the time that he needed and not pester him, but after a week+ of waiting I get the impression that call will never come.

So I claim unemployment, and call them to finish my claim since the online site directed me to do so.

The lady on the other end informs me that I am not eligible for unemployment because they are only allowed to use 3 months of wages at this point. She said I will receive a letter in the mail stating that I am denied unemployment, and to file a new claim on july 5th, at which point they can use the other 3 months of time that I've actually been employed.

This is wonderful. So from now until then, we get to survive on my fiances income, thankfully its only a couple of weeks, but we are both very stressed due to the situation.

I am looking for another job, but it takes time in this broken economy.

My fiance is the only one I've shared this with, aside from you folks here, and it was really starting to take a toll on me.

Thanks for listening.

edit: also - to respond to another post about benefits. I had just inquired about and received my papers to enroll in their health insurance plan. Coincidence? You decide.

djz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down