Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
America's hidden unemployment problem EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

America's hidden unemployment problem

4 posters

Go down

America's hidden unemployment problem Empty America's hidden unemployment problem

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 pm

The Great Recession has created a growing underclass of millions of unemployed who are unlikely to ever re-enter the labor force. Instead, they're relying on government support that they qualify for because of health issues.

There are 8.3 million workers receiving disability payments, an increase of 1.2 million, or 17% from when the recession began, according to the Social Security Administration.

While it might seem like more people are trying to file illegitimate claims, experts say that's not the case. The percentage of claims being approved is about the same as in a good economy.

Still, there is virtually no push for reforming disability in Washington, Autor said. Politicians don't want to be seen cutting benefits to the disabled, especially if it would drive up the reported unemployment rates.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/01/news/economy/disabled_workers/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

Back to top Go down

America's hidden unemployment problem Empty Re: America's hidden unemployment problem

Post by americatheneedy Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:46 pm

Gosh the government hates it when people lie to them---OH WAIT they don't like being beat at their own game.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

America's hidden unemployment problem Empty Re: America's hidden unemployment problem

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:30 pm

One would think that it would just be easier, cheaper, and more humane to just add more BENEFITS!! People are NOT finding jobs after they exhaust benefits because there arent nearly enough!!

They really need to fix this before it becomes even more of a disaster. I am sure most people really are disabled though. Not many doctors would lie. Plus from what i understand SS makes you see a doctor of their choosing to evaluate people anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:52 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
The Great Recession has created a growing underclass of millions of unemployed who are unlikely to ever re-enter the labor force. Instead, they're relying on government support that they qualify for because of health issues.

There are 8.3 million workers receiving disability payments, an increase of 1.2 million, or 17% from when the recession began, according to the Social Security Administration.

While it might seem like more people are trying to file illegitimate claims, experts say that's not the case. The percentage of claims being approved is about the same as in a good economy.

Still, there is virtually no push for reforming disability in Washington, Autor said. Politicians don't want to be seen cutting benefits to the disabled, especially if it would drive up the reported unemployment rates.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/01/news/economy/disabled_workers/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

Let me ask the question.. Out of work stress is building and you cant think or function. You are sick because you have not eaten vegs or real food you cant afford your meds so your.... lets say blood pressure is sky high.. Are you not sick??? are you not disabled? is this stopping you from looking for a job???.. When you are so depressed after maybe 3 years of looking for a job? over a year without UI to keep the roof over your head..

Would the goverment like us to take our own life? OR should we go to SSI and ask for help to get well??? Please answer this for me?? Before we were 99ers we at least had something coming in we were able to function pay for internet to search for a job... NOW nothing we are SICK and need help mental and/or phyical.... Some of us wander the streets because we have lost homes.. is that not a mental strain?

I am not saying people are not taking advantage of the system.. Some take advantage of UI BUT stop and think about what being unemployed has done to people phyically and mentally...

I am sorry for my rant but i have had enough I am sick of the goverment putting us down for seeking help either for a mental/depression or a phyical issue.. Rememeber that most of the unemployed are over 50 with out insurance...
Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:45 am

Don't apologize- a lot of us have been there or are on our way there. Some of us have been there, have been able to eek out a living via temp jobs and jobs in really bad working conditions, but are looking at being there again through no fault of our own.
When you are forced to go without needed medicine, it makes you even less employable. It affects how you look, feel & function. Being homeless while job hunting presents its own problems, including abuse (not including the abuse people go through right before they become homeless- when they can no longer pay rent, or when the landlord thinks you might skip out, and has his family harass you until the rent check clears...and the creditors, ya know- the ones you would NOT have if you could find stable employment- etc etc etc). Plus, you don't always have your credentials/paperwork, either. Gone. So you are treated as a liar until you can produce the necessary paperwork- if you can.

I don't like feeling as though we are the culled portion of the herd and I don't like that the herd is being culled at all. There should be no need of it.
I almost wish we could take over a ghost town and rebuild it for ourselves, with internal currency, grants and ...???. It would be better than being homeless, we'd have something instead of nothing.

I hope you are safe, and I am really sorry, bitter and angry that I am not in a position to offer assistance. I think you'll find the people here are supportive in whatever ways they can be.

Last edited by couth11 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:27 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correction/clarification)
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:02 am

This was just tweeted:" With his father’s passing, young Paul collected Social Security benefits until age 18, which he put away for college. " Interesting, if it is true:

http://firedoglake.com/2011/01/28/ayn-rand-fanboy-paul-ryan-used-social-security-hammock-to-put-himself-through-college/#
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:43 am

I am sure it is true.. He would not be the first or last.. well if he has it his way maybe the last.. many families that can afford to live with out the extra income put the SSI payments away for school for the children.. Bit Ryan is a two faced piece of ......
Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:33 am

Judi58 Thank you for your post on unemployed health.

It is inhumane how people are being basically pushed aside, statisics leave the unemployed out or simply treat them as a number.

Gurus and advisors are everywhere telling people to go to school (we already have degrees), to sell ourselves (when few are buying), be positive etc.

I am living each day the best I can, but it sure is a struggle to lack selfesteem and confidence. Hundreds of job applications, most of the jobs much lower skill-set, pay etc, and wanting them only to have landed nothing. I have not had an interview in several months, and it feels like salt in the wound when I hear the "experts" or media say unemployment rates have improved. I took part time work, one was a temporary situation where the project finished, and the other - the business closed so it's all been quite negative.

The comment about SS is a real hotbutton with me, I watched a few classmates grow up with SS because of no dad, parent death, they were able to have the latest greatest cloths, electronics, and had a nest egg for college. While I as a mill worker son, had no money, and heck dad worked all the time, swing shift, I basically had no father. Sorry for ranting....

God bless you all that are searching for work. May the compassion that is offered to some others, be offered to the new category of "longterm" unemployed.

Thanks for listening.

John

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:42 am

I have a friend who not a week ago said he was going to appy (he is 63) has a 14 year old daughter and said he was going to put the money away for his daughter education.. Granted this is not disabilty but people do this all the time.. And I too grew up with no one looking out for my education.
Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down