Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Any Advice For A New 99er? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Any Advice For A New 99er?

2 posters

Go down

Any Advice For A New 99er? Empty Any Advice For A New 99er?

Post by PamelaJo Tue May 17, 2011 12:20 pm

I exhaust all UC benefits in two weeks, and am no closer to finding employment now than when I first signed up. Just received 2 more replies from personnel managers telling me the positions I applied for have been filled, so it looks like I will join the 99ers ranks very soon. I am still hoping to hear some good news soon, but I'm feeling as though that is less likely every day.

I'm single and support myself, so have no other income. I'm also nearly 50 years old. One very good thing in my life is that I am living in a house which my mother inherited from my grandparents, so I will not face being homeless. I say a prayer of thanks for my mom every day, but she is a senior and struggles, too. I can't burden her more than I already have.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or survival tips from other 99ers on this forum. How have you endured the trials of unemployment? How do you maintain a positive outlook, etc.? Like so many of you, I've never before faced this situation and I really don't know what to do. It's frightening. I know you do not need me to tell you that, but I do need advice.

Thanks so much!
PamelaJo
PamelaJo

Back to top Go down

Any Advice For A New 99er? Empty Re: Any Advice For A New 99er?

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 12:40 pm

I am so sorry you are about to become a 99er! Hopefully, something will come your way before then. Praying

We have kids and qualified for state assistance (food stamps and cash assistance), provided we submit weekly job search forms to our case worker.

In some states, if you are single and have no income you can apply for food stamps.

Fortunately for us, my husband and I have had more family support than we ever could of imagined. Our families have been EXTREMELY supportive financially and emotionally. If it weren't for my mom and a few other family members, I don't know what we would do.

there are many members here who are in a similar situation as you, I am sure they will chime in.

god bless!

Back to top Go down

Post by PamelaJo Tue May 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Thank you so much! This forum has already given me a more positive outlook, and I am a new member and haven't been participating very long. I missed the food stamp cut off limit by less than $4.00 while I collected benefits and forgot that now I should qualify...or at least when I lose my UC. I will reapply for food stamps then. That will help a great deal.

I'm grateful to have a place to turn to for answers from those who are in the same situation. Thanks for your helpful feedback and your prayers, always! I'm so glad I found all of you!
PamelaJo
PamelaJo

Back to top Go down

Post by MoInSTL Tue May 17, 2011 1:19 pm

PamelaJo, Check out the resources right here--- http://www.unemployed-friends2.org/t34-list-of-resources-for-the-unemployed

Check out free cell phone & more.

I started selling plasma. It's in a seedy part of town. I got $100 for first two donations and now $55 a week for two. They are in most big cities.
http://www.interstatebloodbank.com/locations.asp It covers TP and other things food stamps doesn't. It takes me about 45 minutes to fill up the bottle. They screen you each time and it includes taking vital signs. Usually there under two hours. Depends on the time of day.

Last edited by MoInSTL on Tue May 17, 2011 1:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
MoInSTL
MoInSTL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Pamelajo, sorry you are joining the 99ers. I am 56, formerly of Philadelphia, moved in with my Rich last year when I became a 99er. Luckily, I do qualify for medicaid and food stamps however, NJ is different. You should qualify for food stamps, I cannot honestly answer you on the medicaid end as PA has changed it's qualifiers since 2008. I am glad you have a support system, it is very necessary. If you log on to PA UC site it will direct you to the info you need for food stamps. That will help at least so you Mom does not have the full burden of food. They may also give you some assistance through LIHEAP since she is a Senior on a fixed income and you have no income. You will be asked to get a letter from her stating you have no income and pay no rent but she does not provide your utilities or food. They will ask for bank statements or any income statements you have. You will be scheduled with an appointment for a visit with a counselor and will have to do that 2-3 times a year. It's awful to go through, but, like many I swallowed my pride and did it and at least I got some help. At most it's $200 for food stamps and in NJ 120 for medications etc. But it has helped. As for the mental aspect, I keep sending resumes, I read every job board and every posting in the local and city papers. I can't give up, discouraging as it may be. I clean houses, cut lawns and babysit whenever anyone asks and I make sure I exercise everyday, since I started that, I do feel better mentally and physically. I had stopped when I became unemployed and my Dad got sick and it wasn't good for my health or my outlook (and not fitting into clothes didn't help either since I cannot afford anything new). Getting on here everyday helps and making the phone calls and emails and tracking down local officials has taught me alot about the process of government and I intend to stay that way when we are all employed again. I know I sound like a talk show interview, but these things reallly helped me. Share with us, good or bad, it makes you feel better. We can't fix each other's problems, but where we help most is being here for each other. Right now we are living in a world of 99erhood that no one else can possibly understand so having each other is good. When you can unburden here, it makes it easier to deal with the rest of the world. I love my friends and family and enjoy being with them, but this is not something they will ever understand and coming here helps me to not only be productive, but I guess, be less resentful of those who truly do not understand. I am lucky, even though my family does not understand this, they are not the knuckleheads who think we are all leaches, they just don't see it as being as bad as it is. They are all employed in good jobs or their own companies and realize times are hard, but the disconnect is they don't realize how hard. So I hope this helps and may I say, as grateful as I am to have a home here with Rich in NJ, Philadelphia was and always will be my home, good or bad, I love it. (So I am a little jealous to see your Betsy, because I am homesick). Oh such drama, sorry, I am only about 1/2 to 1 hour away, all depends on the bridge and the Schuylkill and I know you know what I mean.

Back to top Go down

Post by MoInSTL Tue May 17, 2011 1:23 pm

MoInSTL
MoInSTL

Back to top Go down

Post by PamelaJo Tue May 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Thank you all so much. I have checked the links and I will use them. So sorry I did not realize that info was already available here. I really appreciate that you pointed it out to me! It's very helpful!
PamelaJo
PamelaJo

Back to top Go down

Post by MoInSTL Tue May 17, 2011 1:55 pm

An FYI on Safelink phone...they roll over minutes. 250 minutes each month. Once you get food stamps, they will accept that as a qualifying agency. You may have to babysit your Safelink application but it's worth the possible hassle.

While you are waiting for food stamps, you may want to check out a food bank and preserve whatever cash you have.
MoInSTL
MoInSTL

Back to top Go down

Post by PamelaJo Tue May 17, 2011 2:06 pm

Mary Kay~

You really gave me lots of info I knew nothing about. I can imagine that you miss Philadelphia. I'm about 50 miles north of the city and try to go to the historic district whenever I can...at least I did when I could afford it!

I notice you said your dad got sick and you didn't exercise then. I know exactly what that's all about, as my dad was diagnosed with cancer just before Thanksgiving. That changes your life very quickly and puts your priorities in order. It also consumes your thoughts and time. I really can understand your circumstances. We have some things in common.

Well, just want to thank you again for all of the info and for your support. It means a great deal to me!
PamelaJo
PamelaJo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down