Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

+13
cablab
laine25
couth11
JoanB
MoInSTL
Sunrise
mrmarti
rainer123
gettheminNOVEMBER
LeannaAndPerry
lizalphonso
superstevies
Jobless_in_Ma
17 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 Empty UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ive seen a lot of good recipes posted in the "whats for dinner" thread in both the old and new UFF.

I think this would be a great resource for those looking for new ideas for meals on the cheap.

Please try and limit the discussions to only recipes etc and use the "Whats for dinner" thread for more generalized food chat comments

Happy sharing!! And good eating! UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 417709

Last edited by Jobless_in_Ma on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 Empty Re: UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

Post by mrmarti Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:36 pm

turkeys in the oven and it smells wonderful. Having turkey stuffed with a ground beef stuffing, gravy, potatoes, coleslaw, string beans, broccoli with cheese sauce, Mary Kay's cranberry relish, and my grandmothers recipes of bacon, onion mushrooms mixed with sour cream. No pie tho - we're not big sweet eaters.

P.S. I made the loaded potato soup Tuesday and it was divine - definitely a keeper.
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 Empty Re: UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Now that we have finished with the Turkey, Stuffing and Mashed potatoes, hoping all members have some really good "baked" goods and ideas for cookies, cakes and Holiday Buffets.

Please share!

P.S. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and safe travels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:47 am

Good Morning. Hoping all are well. I need a recipe for Minestrone soup if anyone has a good one I would appreciate it. My father loves minestrone and the two I have tried were not so hot. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:19 pm

Sorry MK, I don't have one of those, but you asked for baked goods before...I have a great recipe for challah (Jewish egg bread) that you mix and raise in a bread machine, then braid, raise again, then bake again. Guaranteed to get ooohs and ahhhs. I will type it out next time I remember to grab it on my way past the fridge.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Sounds great. My cousin Karen is married to the greatest guy and he is always joking, that my Keugel is irish catholic, not jewish, so I will surprise him with the challah. He is so good to my Dad and my Dad's brother that I would love to do something for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Joan do you have the recipe for the cinnamon roasted nuts? That sounds delish. I would love to try that. (unless it's a family secret.)

Thanks. See you guys on Friday. Heading to Dad's right now. This is his last treatment until after Christmas.!

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:07 pm

MaryKay, I would never keep secrets from you! Well, except maybe my mom's paska recipe (and even that might have a price Wink )

Anyway, the cinnamon nut recipe isn't really a secret since it's right here: Cinnamon Sugar Pecans

Here are some tips that I've learned along the way:

• Use a really big bowl.

• Use a big whisk to mix them, not just to whisk the egg white.

• Try baking them for 15 minutes at first, and then keep a close eye. They will be gooey, but solidify when they cool, then you can break them apart.

• I bought the 3-lb bags at Costco of pecans and almonds. One was around $10 and one about $12, but I can't remember which was which.

• The 3-lb bag made exactly 3 batches of this recipe, so a batch takes a pound, which is 3 cups. So if you have a 1-lb bag, you don't have to measure. Yea.

I burned my first batch at 20 minutes, so I had to eat a lot of them. It was terrible, but I'm committed to quality control.

Good luck...let me know how they turn out!
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:18 pm

Here is the challah. Note that you pretty much have to make this now because you have the leftover egg yolks from making the cinnamon nuts. The first amounts are for a 1 lb loaf, and the amounts in parentheses are for a 1-1/2 lb loaf. Make the big one...you know you want to:

Challah

¾ cup (1 cup) Water
1 tbs (2 tbs) Butter/margarine/oil
1 large (2 large) Egg yolk
1 tbs (2 tbs) Nonfat dry milk
1 tsp (1 ½ tsp) Salt
1 tbs (2 tbs) Granulated sugar
2 ¼ cups (3 cups) Bread flour
1 ½ tsp (2 ¼ tsp) Active dry yeast

In bread machine, run on Dough cycle. If you are not using a bread machine, mix as you normally would, starting with the warm water, yeast, sugar, etc, then let rise until approximately doubled in size, blah, blah, you know the drill. Punch down.

To shape, most people cut the dough into three pieces, form them into ropes, pinch the ends together, and then braid. Here is a different way that I thought up (maybe it has occurred to others): roll the dough into an oblong shape with a rolling pin. Make it roughly three times as long as wide. Slice it long-wise into three “panels”, leaving them attached at one end. Then braid them, and when you come to the end, pinch the ends together, and tuck them under. Do whichever way you like.

To make it pretty:

Beat an egg with about a tablespoon of water. Brush that on the loaf, then sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds.
Bake at 375° for about 40 – 45 minutes.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:31 pm

Good! AloneinNY deleted its post! Hope the model *moderated - behave ladies - X out!* from eating oatmeal and peanut butter!

BLeep

Last edited by X on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:50 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : X moderated - provoking fat Sorry, but she asked for it!!!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:33 am

Hi Tiya,

I am sorry for whatever I said to get people mad at me. My partner and I had way too much bubbly last night and she should have stopped me from making posts.

I received a PM about this so I kinda understand what I did. You can PM me anytime to share special recipes!

Good night!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:44 am

Bubbly? "Dom Perignon"? What kind of caviar did you have to go with it?? Take a look back at the recipes, some are creative things to do with ramen noodles. Get over yourself!

Please can we get back on topic here, a lot of this stuff is for people who need it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:05 am

Here is a nice recipe that can be varied according to your taste, looks very pretty and is really inexpensive.

1 Block of Cream Cheese
1 Small Jar of Preserves:
(Pepper jelly is my favorite, but apricot, peach, rasberry are nice too)
Crackers of choice or toasted bread

For Christmas I put the block on a plate, cover with the jelly and surround the plate with the crackers. I trim the plate with parsley and it looks festive. Everybody loves it. It's about $4.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi all, what's cooking? Hoping everyone is having a great weekend so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:38 am

MaryKay wrote:Hi all, what's cooking? Hoping everyone is having a great weekend so far.
Great day to try Lacey's Loaded Potato Soup! UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 846687

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Opps, I messed up with the cups/lbs of nuts in the Costco bags! Almonds are 3-lb bags, and are $9 and some change. Pecans and walnuts are 2-lbs bags are $14 and some change, so clearly the almonds are a cost saver. And pay no attention to what I said about cups per lbs, because now I'm not sure if that's true--better measure.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Im making beef stew today before I go to work...not a fan of peeling veggies though. wish me luck! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:Im making beef stew today before I go to work...not a fan of peeling veggies though. wish me luck! lol
Good luck!! I am not good at peeling either, I usually end up cutting up most of my fingers!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Oh its a nightmare, potatoes go flying, peels everywhere, fingers get peeled!! LOL I hate when that happens

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Hope it turned out good, S&T! I made stew last week using one of those McCormick seasoning packs and it was pretty yum--added some butternut squash at the last minute (so it didn't cook down too much and disappear--I've learned that from experience)
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Amy, here's a trick. Use Yukon Gold potatoes, just chop them. The skins are really good left on. I buy a bag of baby carrotts, don't have to peel or chop. Just the onion and celery.

I hate the carrotts and potatoes the most. Not only do I always peel a finger, cuticle and a nail, but my hands are always so dry, it takes a week and a half to remove all the "dirt" lines from the dry skin. ugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:03 pm

I would like to start a cookie exchange. So many of us have great recipes and love to bake. Many of us have children and grandchildren and it's always a fun thing to do with them as well. What do you think?

I am going to pull out some recipes tonight and post them tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:58 am

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 8 155144

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:43 pm

I am looking for a cookie recipe, that I used to have, my cookie shooter broke last year and I think when I tossed it, I accidentally tossed the index card with the recipe as well.

The recipe is for cookie shooters, it's a butter cookie recipe? Does anyone have one? I would love to have it if you do. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:36 pm

I've gained weight during this time off from work because I've lived off of pasta, etc., because it's cheap, filling and comforting... I need to find inexpensive less caloric foods and recipes!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Sorry, MK...I've never been much of a cookie baker. Hope you find a good recipe.

Marian, I don't know if this idea would help, but maybe you might want to look into dishes that use beans. They're not all that light in calories, but they have protein and fiber, so they're satisying and might make smaller portions feel like more.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next