Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

+13
cablab
laine25
couth11
JoanB
MoInSTL
Sunrise
mrmarti
rainer123
gettheminNOVEMBER
LeannaAndPerry
lizalphonso
superstevies
Jobless_in_Ma
17 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 Empty UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ive seen a lot of good recipes posted in the "whats for dinner" thread in both the old and new UFF.

I think this would be a great resource for those looking for new ideas for meals on the cheap.

Please try and limit the discussions to only recipes etc and use the "Whats for dinner" thread for more generalized food chat comments

Happy sharing!! And good eating! UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 417709

Last edited by Jobless_in_Ma on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 Empty Re: UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

Post by JoanB Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Black beans...I can eat them straight out of the can...yum!
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 Empty Re: UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Once again, mrmarti, sounds great. You post them and the next day I try them. Having this tomorrow night.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 9:59 pm

I say we start "The MrMarti Show", the heck with Rachel Ray and Iron Chef!!! We have our own personal chef de cuisine right here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Quick and easy marinade. This one works for chicken, fish, pork or beef.

3/4 cup maple syrup( sometimes I use a full cup if the soy sauce is particularly strong or salty)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)

Mix together and store in refrigerator.

To marinade just poke the beef or pork all the way around and pour marinade over, cover and refrigerate. For fish or chicken, just pour over and cover and refrigerate. It's best to remove from refrig. at least one hour prior to grilling or cooking and let sit to room temp.

Warm up the left over sauce and drizzle over stir fry veggies or rice. It is delish!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Holiday Cookout Recipes Anyone? What's your favorite, start the season BBQ Recipe, please share.

One of mine:

2 lbs. Ground Chicken
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 red pepper , finely chopped
1 teaspoon ketchup
1 teaspoon spicy mustard
1 egg
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped well

Mix all together, sometimes you made need a little more breadcrumbs.
Form into burgers. Depending on how small or large you like them. Cover and refrigerate overnight so they are nice and firm. Cook on medium grill. If grill is too high, chicken burns.

Melt some cheese on top and you have a tasty chicken burger.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Sat May 28, 2011 3:02 pm

I love Chicken Parmesan, you know the breaded chicken breasts topped with sauce and lots of mozzarella cheese.If you like it too, the next time you make it, try the method that Dom DeLouise use to do when he breaded the chicken.

Most recipes have you dip the breast in egg and then bread crumbs. Instead try it this way.

Put eggs in a bowl, add some parmesan cheese, a little garlic powder and if you like a little heat, add a bit of cayenne pepper and whisk till all mixed. Now take your chicken breast and dip it in seasoned bread crumbs and then the eggs. Fry in oil til golden brown , remove and place in baking dish - put a little sauce on the bottom of the pan.. Once all the breasts are done. put sliced mozzarella cheese on top and bake @ 350 20 to 25 mins. Serve with a type of pasta with sauce.

This method keeps the chicken so moist and is so tasty. This is the only way I make chicken parmesan.

Last edited by mrmarti on Sun May 29, 2011 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2011 10:22 am

Sounds great mrmarti. I love chicken cutlets and chicken parm, but I have to admit, it always seems dry so I will try this. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2011 10:26 am

Corn on the cob. Quick and easy. Really good for early corn, that is sometimes not as sweet and juicey.

In a large pot, add 6 ears of shucked, cleaned corn, 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon sugar (can sub sweet and low if you can't use sugar, but then only add 4 packets), cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low 5 minutes. Keeps the corn tender and sweet and it takes just about 10 minutes from start to finish. (I learned this from a nice man who has a produce stand on the way to the shore years ago and have used it for all corn and it never fails to be sweet and juice, no matter if it's early corn, or late corn.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2011 10:26 am

How about some favorite, different Burger recipes? Always looking for a new way to fix up a burger on the holidays. Please share yours.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Sun May 29, 2011 11:52 am

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipe-collections/hamburger/index.html

found this site - 100 burger recipes - some look pretty good.
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Trying mrmarti's chicken recipe tonight.

Now we need to research the "cold" supper's we all have in our recipe files. It is not 93 today, start of the "first heatwave". From 73 to 93 yahoo!!!!!

Here is mine:

Make your favorite macaroni salad add:

1 tablespoon pickled relish or indian relish
1 bag of cubed ham

voila!!! easy cold supper. Make some hardboiled eggs and slice, serve with lettuce and tomatoe.

You can sub for the ham:

shrimp
tuna
chicken

Just as tasty. Note: The ham and chicken will be okay for about three days, tuna 2 days, shrimp I wouldn't keep it longer than 1 day. Especially when the weather gets to the 90's.

Last edited by MaryKay on Mon May 30, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my stupidity)

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Mon May 30, 2011 9:47 pm

MaryKay wrote:Trying mrmarti's chicken recipe tonight

hope you like it
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 5 Empty Hot Dish

Post by couth11 Tue May 31, 2011 1:10 pm

It's a really cheap, versatile hot dish. You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand, and in whatever proportions you need.

Pour a bit of water (maybe 1/4 cup) in your baking dish before you add the vegetables to keep them from burning.

Add your veggies first (potatoes and carrots first, because they take longer to bake, then the other veggies. Then spread the meat on top. Last, pour your can of soup or sauce over the whole thing. You can add grated or shredded cheese on top, if you have it. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes (ovens differ, the goal is for the potatoes to be baked through).

3-4 cups of potatoes slices any way you like (I leave the peels on)
1 chopped up onion
1 cup of chopped up celery
1 cup carrots
any spices you like (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, etc)
1 or 2 lbs. of thawed ground turkey (if you buy it frozen, it's usually really cheap)
1 can of soup or spaghetti sauce (I experiment here. I use whatever is on hand: tomato soup, a can of crushed tomatoes, creamed soups with a bit of water added to make it pourable...).

Vegans could probably add a can or two of beans or corn instead of meat.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2011 1:15 pm

mrmarti wrote:
MaryKay wrote:Trying mrmarti's chicken recipe tonight

hope you like it
It was delish!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2011 1:16 pm

Sounds great couth. I am a big lover of the Campbell's recipes.

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:07 pm

@MaryKay
Potentially all 4 food groups and only 1 pan to wash....if I can't turn something into a hot dish, it becomes soup stock for other left overs Very Happy It's like having an edible chemistry set!
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:19 pm

I am with you couth. I find anymore, that I want easy and quick, not mind you that I am going anywhere, but a "sauce" over chicken meal, little veggies thrown, a rice, pasta or potatoe side and voila, I am happy. Makes eating on a budget seem less depressing. And since I am the dishwasher, I love the one dish cleanup. I got some money for Christmas and bought myself an electric skillet, it was 24.99. Best money I ever spent. I have a crock pot, but this is different. On nights like tonight, 95 and just as humid, plug it in and no heat. Tonight's delicacy was:

4 Chicken Breasts
1 can campbells golden chicken mushroom soup (I sub for store brands alot, but campbells is the only one who makes this and it's worth the 1.29)
1 can milk (whole, skim or 2% work fine)
left over macaroni
1 tsp black pepper
1 can sliced mushrooms
I had left over stringbeans, so they went in
Set the temp to 250, cooked 1/2 hour, then set to warm for 1/2 hour and dinner was ready. You can make it in advance and then just warm it up.

Sometimes, I will cook rice and serve over rice. If there are left overs, I will cut up the chicken, mix in the rice and the next night, add a little shredded cheese and have cheesy, chicken with mushrooms.

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:31 pm

That sounds absolutely delicious- all the recipes do.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Okay friends, we need some hot, hot, hot weather recipes! Anyone have any? I don't know about you all, but I am not standing at the grill either, much less the oven. We need your ideas, cheerios and cold milk is starting to sound really good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:40 pm

1 head romaine lettuce
1 tomatoe (plum or beefsteak)
1 package Perdue quick cuts (4.50 at Walmart) This is cooked, seasoned and sliced chicken strips and comes in two or three seasonings, honey, roasted and italian I think, I always get roasted.
2 slices of cheese. Whatever your favorite is.
Slice some cucumber, onion, radish.

Mix together, add dressing and croutons if you like. Nice cool meal for a hot day. Chicken makes it filling, you won't be hungry in an hour.
Serve with a roll and butter and it's dinner!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:03 am

Sick of Chicken???? Who isn't! Although I do love it, after a while, same old, same old. Here is one to try, especially when it's hot and you don't want to eat a full meal and turn on the oven.

Boneless Chicken Breasts (one per person)
Chopped Onion and Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Season Salt
Black Pepper
Oil or Butter or Pam
Cheese of your choice
Condiment of choice - I like honey mustard, Rich likes mayo

Chop the uncooked chicken into small pieces. In a large skillet or electric fry pan and a little butter, oil or Pam. On low heat, add chopped onion and saute. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with season salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. When the onion is finished, toss in the chicken. Cook on low and turn a couple of times. It creates alot of juice. Cover and let sit. When you are ready to serve, warm up again, toss the juice and serve on a roll with cheese and honey mustard or mayo or whatever you like. Add some lettuce and tomatoe. It's delish and just a little different. It stays moist and tender and is like a homemade chicken cheese steak.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:09 pm

mrmarti,

Any good recipes containing yogurt. We miss you and your delicious ideas. Hoping you are well and a big CONGRATULATIONS !!!! on the job.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:12 pm

MaryKay wrote:Sick of Chicken???? Who isn't! Although I do love it, after a while, same old, same old. Here is one to try, especially when it's hot and you don't want to eat a full meal and turn on the oven.

Boneless Chicken Breasts (one per person)
Chopped Onion and Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Season Salt
Black Pepper
Oil or Butter or Pam
Cheese of your choice
Condiment of choice - I like honey mustard, Rich likes mayo

Chop the uncooked chicken into small pieces. In a large skillet or electric fry pan and a little butter, oil or Pam. On low heat, add chopped onion and saute. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with season salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. When the onion is finished, toss in the chicken. Cook on low and turn a couple of times. It creates alot of juice. Cover and let sit. When you are ready to serve, warm up again, toss the juice and serve on a roll with cheese and honey mustard or mayo or whatever you like. Add some lettuce and tomatoe. It's delish and just a little different. It stays moist and tender and is like a homemade chicken cheese steak.

this recipe sounds real good - quick and easy - will be trying it this week.
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:17 pm

MaryKay wrote:mrmarti,

Any good recipes containing yogurt. We miss you and your delicious ideas. Hoping you are well and a big CONGRATULATIONS !!!! on the job.

Haven't found any yogurt recipes yet - I'm working anywhere from 10 to 13 hours a day - 4 days a week. Once I'm adjusted I'll spend time looking for recipes to try on the weekends. When I find a good one I'll post here. One thing about working - I am not cooking that much - maybe 2 times a week and than left overs for the other two days - want to try to get into a habit of cooking enough on the weekends to carry over into the week. I don't eat at work - I have a small bag of chips at lunch time and my other breaks it's either coffee or water.

mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Just eat something good once in a while, we don't want you working those kinds of hours and getting sick. It's a great idea to cook on the weekends though, I used to do that, at least for about 3 or 4 meals anyway.

We will always be delighted to see you here when you can. Just take care and again, congratulations.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next