Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Factories having trouble finding workers EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Factories having trouble finding workers

3 posters

Go down

Factories having trouble finding workers Empty Factories having trouble finding workers

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:02 pm

"The perception out there is that we're losing manufacturing jobs to China and India. So if they've already been displaced and they're going to go back to school, they're going for something not manufacturing-related," said Rob Clark, vice president of operations at Clark Metal Products, a company outside of Pittsburgh started by his grandfather and now run by his uncle.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/11/news/economy/skilled_factory_worker_shortage/index.htm?iid=HLM

Back to top Go down

Factories having trouble finding workers Empty Re: Factories having trouble finding workers

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Factories are Labor jobs really needing no experience.
Tell us what Factories are hiring?

Another tall tale and exageration that americans wont work.
I do agree that we have lost jobs to China, India, Mexico and many other countries for cheap labor. that is not a perception but a fact!

Back to top Go down

Factories having trouble finding workers Empty Re: Factories having trouble finding workers

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:00 pm

The article is about skilled factory workers, like welders and electricians. They are finding it difficult because the older workers have retired and no one who has been laid off due to factories closing because their jobs were outsourced wants to return to school for a year then find out that the those jobs have been outsourced too.

They have no problem finding general labors and administrative support, but people are fearful of wasting their time learning a new trade that may not be in existence in the country when they finish school.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:12 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:The article is about skilled factory workers, like welders and electricians. They are finding it difficult because the older workers have retired and no one who has been laid off due to factories closing because their jobs were outsourced wants to return to school for a year then find out that the those jobs have been outsourced too.

They have no problem finding general labors and administrative support, but people are fearful of wasting their time learning a new trade that may not be in existence in the country when they finish school.

i misread.. ....I get it now

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Sounds to me these companies need to provide on the job training for applicants that may be a good fit with a few additional skills.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:52 pm

There is a lot of specialization that comes with manufacturing. People are losing manufacturing jobs and don't have the specialized training to do a job that is slightly different. These people are familiar with manufacturing and could learn new skills quickly. It sounds like the companies do not want to pay for any training.

"When we hire office workers, we get significant numbers of applicants who are qualified or overqualified," said Traci Tapani, co-President of Wyoming Machine, which is based just north of St. Paul, Minn. "But with production jobs, it's difficult to get the applicants we're looking for."

The employer says they have a difficult time finding applicants we are looking for. Notice how he isn't saying "We can't find anyone with manufacturing experience"?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:01 pm

The problem is that Congress isn't providing the necessary funding so that unemployed Americans can get trained for these factory jobs. Instead, everyone looks at such funding as an entitlement program and nobody in Congress is willing to fund it, especially since we're so deep in debt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:02 pm

JaneWI wrote:There is a lot of specialization that comes with manufacturing. People are losing manufacturing jobs and don't have the specialized training to do a job that is slightly different. These people are familiar with manufacturing and could learn new skills quickly. It sounds like the companies do not want to pay for any training.

"When we hire office workers, we get significant numbers of applicants who are qualified or overqualified," said Traci Tapani, co-President of Wyoming Machine, which is based just north of St. Paul, Minn. "But with production jobs, it's difficult to get the applicants we're looking for."

The employer says they have a difficult time finding applicants we are looking for. Notice how he isn't saying "We can't find anyone with manufacturing experience"?

"Manufacturing experience = older worker". affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:07 pm

This is a crock - go to their website. There are no openings listed!

http://www.genmet.com/genmet_employment_opportunities.php
Sunrise
Sunrise

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:08 pm

kemcha wrote:The problem is that Congress isn't providing the necessary funding so that unemployed Americans can get trained for these factory jobs. Instead, everyone looks at such funding as an entitlement program and nobody in Congress is willing to fund it, especially since we're so deep in debt.

I'm torn on the issue. On one hand, paying for training is a good thing. Learning new skills is a great way to expand a person's ability to find employment.

On the other hand, there is so much specialized knowledge that may not be marketable to anyone except for that particular employer and that specific position. The skill becomes obsolete before the position is filled with a newly trained employee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Sunrise wrote:This is a crock - go to their website. There are no openings listed!

http://www.genmet.com/genmet_employment_opportunities.php

Then there is the "we can't find qualified people to fill open positions" ploy. It really bothers me when employers say they can't fill positions when in reality there are no job openings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Ive worked in Manufacturing for the last 12 years, I was involved in the hiring process etc. The work we did was highly specialized so getting someone with the skills was nearly impossible. we chose candidates who had a good foundation of skills and trained them on our instruments. Companies dont want to do that anymore but are complaining on not getting the skilled workers.
DUH!
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:12 pm

IMO, it is a strategy to make the employers look good and the unemployed look bad. Helps them from having to hire people and enables them to expect the work of 3 people from one person at minimum wages.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Its not the 1st time articles like this have come out, IMHO its right wing propaganda against us the unemployed.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:32 pm

I went to their website. Nothing! Unless they use Manpower and pay less then $9 per hour. I have sent my resume to Manpower numerous times and I am a skilled Electronic Technician. Nothing! I have all kinds of experience. The employers are being over picky and don't want to hire older stilled workers. When you do get a temp job, no real training is there and then they expect you to hit the floor running, such BS.

I did have a good interview for a well paid position Saturday. I hope to hear something by Monday. The employer is in extreme spot and willing to pay for my experience and education. Factories having trouble finding workers 168630

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:35 pm

TR11005 wrote:I went to their website. Nothing! Unless they use Manpower and pay less then $9 per hour. I have sent my resume to Manpower numerous times and I am a skilled Electronic Technician. Nothing! I have all kinds of experience. The employers are being over picky and don't want to hire older stilled workers. When you do get a temp job, no real training is there and then they expect you to hit the floor running, such BS.

I did have a good interview for a well paid position Saturday. I hope to hear something by Monday. The employer is in extreme spot and willing to pay for my experience and education. Factories having trouble finding workers 168630

cheers Good luck! Hoping to hear some positive news!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:41 pm

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:Its not the 1st time articles like this have come out, IMHO its right wing propaganda against us the unemployed.

You are correct.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:41 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
TR11005 wrote:I went to their website. Nothing! Unless they use Manpower and pay less then $9 per hour. I have sent my resume to Manpower numerous times and I am a skilled Electronic Technician. Nothing! I have all kinds of experience. The employers are being over picky and don't want to hire older stilled workers. When you do get a temp job, no real training is there and then they expect you to hit the floor running, such BS.

cheers Good luck! Hoping to hear some positive news!

X2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down