Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
My Somber Reality EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
My Somber Reality EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
My Somber Reality EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
My Somber Reality EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
My Somber Reality EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
My Somber Reality EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
My Somber Reality EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
My Somber Reality EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
My Somber Reality EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
My Somber Reality EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
My Somber Reality EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
My Somber Reality EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
My Somber Reality EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
My Somber Reality EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
My Somber Reality EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

My Somber Reality

5 posters

Go down

My Somber Reality Empty My Somber Reality

Post by UnemployedSymphony Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 am

Right now I have $10 to my name.

You can't do much with $10. You can't buy yourself much, if any, tools or supplies for a job. You won't get much out of it for transportation. It isn't going to get you a college education, and you certainly won't "buy" yourself a job training program at a community college.

It's not going to pay for a phone service, or the Internet, or even a new casual dress shirt to help you at least sort of blend in during interviews.

You won't even get a couple of resume copies printed at FedEx, and forget about medical bills.

That's the reality of being stuck so long without a job that not only have I, long ago, waved goodbye to my unemployment benefits but also my tools of the trade and general possessions, as each was eventually liquidated and lost to basic survival.

That's why I skip telling people who ask, "What do you do for a living?" that I'm unemployed and just go straight to saying, "I'm a bum."

At least with that, I may get a chuckle and avoid any talk about how I'm not trying hard enough. I've tried so hard to keep on going, I've lost nearly everything.

UnemployedSymphony

Back to top Go down

My Somber Reality Empty Re: My Somber Reality

Post by jmainframe Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Try anything, even if it means collecting cans. At least that would put $10 or more in your pocket every day. The main thing is not to lose hope. As long as you got that, there's always a chance.

You may have to start from the beginning, doing a minimum-wage job. At least it's a job. Then move up from there. Hopefully by then the economy will finally improve and more living-wage jobs will become available.
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by beretta1071@gmail.com Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:25 am

Don't mean to be more somber, but I don't think the economy will improve. If anything it will get worse. Everyday more and more people are being laid off and added to the number of unemployed already out there. Example: Bank of America just laid off over 1000 people between May and July in California.

How can the economy improve when jobs are continually being shed everyday and jobs keep being outsourced ? Also when the mandate for the Affordable care act goes into effect in 2015, where companies have to provide health insurance if they have 50 or more employees, they will lay off workers and or not hire more full-time workers, or cut hours.

Their will be no more living-wage jobs, those will not be coming back, companies are cutting back to bare bones or making do with what they have, spreading out the work with their existing employees, or using temps and then dumping them. I think this economy and brutal work environment is going to be the new normal for the U.S.

beretta1071@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JadeBlue Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:27 pm

I've been there before... It is scary. So scary that you just have to ignore your situation sometimes because what else can you do? I'm about to go back to that as well. Only this time I am also in debt, which makes it 10x worse. I'm actually in the negatives as far as net worth goes. And my credit is suffering.

Good luck to you. Do not be afraid to reach out for help. Many times, bad situations can be avoided if you're brave enough to ask.

JadeBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by pbrad009 Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:14 pm

@ UnemployedSymphony,

Here are some options. Make the minimum withdrawals from your 401 k or IRA to help you through this period. Close out your private investment accounts and live meagerly on the funds. If you have any other investment vehicles, such as a 529 plan, then you may be able to make withdrawals on a hardship clause.

You could take out a signature loan at the bank. See if you can open a personal line of credit, or an equity line on your home.

You may qualify for a Pell grant to go back to school. Go talk to the local community college staff to see if you can get a job that will pay for your tuition.

pbrad009

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down