Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
It sure beats washing cars EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
It sure beats washing cars EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
It sure beats washing cars EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
It sure beats washing cars EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
It sure beats washing cars EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
It sure beats washing cars EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
It sure beats washing cars EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
It sure beats washing cars EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
It sure beats washing cars EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
It sure beats washing cars EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
It sure beats washing cars EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
It sure beats washing cars EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
It sure beats washing cars EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
It sure beats washing cars EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
It sure beats washing cars EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

It sure beats washing cars

+6
sunshiney
TR11005
jmainframe
Ponzu
elvis44102
USA Citizen
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

It sure beats washing cars Empty It sure beats washing cars

Post by USA Citizen Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:44 am

It Takes a B.A. to Find a Job as a File Clerk

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/business/college-degree-required-by-increasing-number-of-companies.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc

'The college degree is becoming the new high school diploma: the new minimum requirement, albeit an expensive one, for getting even the lowest-level job.'

“When you get 800 résumés for every job ad, you need to weed them out somehow,” said Suzanne Manzagol, executive recruiter at Cardinal Recruiting Group.

“I am over $100,000 in student loan debt right now,” said Megan Parker, who earns $37,000 as the firm’s receptionist.
USA Citizen
USA Citizen

Back to top Go down

It sure beats washing cars Empty Re: It sure beats washing cars

Post by elvis44102 Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 am

from the article....

""And this year the office’s Christmas tree ornaments were a colorful menagerie of college mascots — Gators, Blue Devils, Yellow Jackets, Wolves, Eagles, Tigers, Panthers — in which just about every staffer’s school was represented.

“You know, if we had someone here with just a G.E.D. or something, I can see how they might feel slighted by the social atmosphere here,” he says. “There really is something sort of cohesive or binding about the fact that all of us went to college.” """

sounds like they need to mature a little at their cozy little office
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponzu Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:13 am

I wouldn't want to work at a place full of such idiots It sure beats washing cars 619286
Ponzu
Ponzu

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Ponzu wrote:I wouldn't want to work at a place full of such idiots It sure beats washing cars 619286

Yeah, especially when they spend their day doing idiotic things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAlDAy5_2OA
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Anyone for jumping off the finacial cliff on March 1? Many of us are at the bottom already, so how do we fall off a cliff.

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by sunshiney Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:18 pm

I have a B.A. and my husband graduated high school. He has the great job and I'm unemployed. Degrees are important to some employers but not all. There are many college graduates out there without a lick of business sense. I've debtated going back to school for a Master's degree in English. Then I thought "why?" To make $16 and hour instead of $10? Nah, at a certain point unless you are studying for a specific field like engineering there's no point right now. Still would like to in the future if we can swing it financially.

sunshiney

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:00 pm

TR11005 wrote:Anyone for jumping off the finacial cliff on March 1? Many of us are at the bottom already, so how do we fall off a cliff.
Already feeling the affects. Since January, I have been contacted by so many potential employers and recruiters I couldn't keep track. Now, the past week or two there is silence. Nothing. This whole sequestration disaster is going to have a devastating effect on our economy. Even big retailers are preparing for the worst. I saw a report that Wal-Mart is beginning to sell smaller portions so the consumer won't be intimidated by the price, and even Burger King is lowering the price of its Whooper Jr. from $2.00 to $1.29. When big business already has "Plan B" ready to go, we are all in trouble.
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:00 am

For Sunshiney: Perhaps you should consider a degree in Spanish as mentioned in another post. What I am trying to figure out is; how are we supposed to pay back student loans when the salaries and work-week hours are diminishing? Many workers are facing a 20% cut in pay. Does that mean that our rent/mortgages are going to be cut? Does that mean that our utilities will be lowered? Will food and gas prices stop rising? Cell phones are becoming a necessity - are our monthly bills going to be adjusted downward? I hope these businesses have a "Plan B" like Burger King.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by USA Citizen Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:00 pm

No, yo no hablo español, pero estoy dispuesto a aprender. =
No, I Don't Speak Spanish, but i am willing to learn.

Yes, it will be necessary for you to get a B.A. in Spanish if you want a job in the United States. This is because you will be working in the fields as farm labor. Your home will be foreclosed on and rent will be too high to afford. You will continue to take pay cuts of 20% per year until you make minimum wage, which will have to be lowered. Your utilities will be less because you will have to live in unheated shacks doing labor that no American is willing to do. You will have to eat scraps and rotten food that isn't fit to harvest. Your cell phones will still work, but you won't be able to afford to make calls. Your student loans will continue to accrue interest until it takes everything you earn to pay monthly installments. The millions of illegal aliens that were granted amnesty will be your lords and masters because they once had experience picking crops. If you rebel against the program you will be jailed or put into FEMA work camps. English will become your second language. You will dream of eating a Whopper Jr. and washing cars.
USA Citizen
USA Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:23 pm

And that scenario gets closer every day. What happens when we get sick? Will we get a day off if we agree to become soylent green? Until we stop fighting each other about comparatively silly matters, the storm will continue to get stronger. If sequestration becomes a reality, maybe then this country will realize that our lives are being stolen from us inch by foot. I don't think 50% of the population has any idea how to live within a budget.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:23 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
TR11005 wrote:Anyone for jumping off the finacial cliff on March 1? Many of us are at the bottom already, so how do we fall off a cliff.
Already feeling the affects. Since January, I have been contacted by so many potential employers and recruiters I couldn't keep track. Now, the past week or two there is silence. Nothing. This whole sequestration disaster is going to have a devastating effect on our economy. Even big retailers are preparing for the worst. I saw a report that Wal-Mart is beginning to sell smaller portions so the consumer won't be intimidated by the price, and even Burger King is lowering the price of its Whooper Jr. from $2.00 to $1.29. When big business already has "Plan B" ready to go, we are all in trouble.

Great news about the new Whooper Jr. Marketing-wise is the Whooper Jr. positioned between the Whopper Jr. and the Whopper without Cheese?

LMAO

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:09 pm

smindles wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:

Great news about the new Whooper Jr. Marketing-wise is the Whooper Jr. positioned between the Whopper Jr. and the Whopper without Cheese?

LMAO
Not sure. I do know McDonald's still has their dollar menu!
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:33 pm

Answer not understood. bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 am

smindles wrote:Answer not understood. bounce

Question not clear!
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Springflowers Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 pm

USA Citizen wrote:No, yo no hablo español, pero estoy dispuesto a aprender. =
No, I Don't Speak Spanish, but i am willing to learn.

Yes, it will be necessary for you to get a B.A. in Spanish if you want a job in the United States. This is because you will be working in the fields as farm labor. Your home will be foreclosed on and rent will be too high to afford. You will continue to take pay cuts of 20% per year until you make minimum wage, which will have to be lowered. Your utilities will be less because you will have to live in unheated shacks doing labor that no American is willing to do. You will have to eat scraps and rotten food that isn't fit to harvest. Your cell phones will still work, but you won't be able to afford to make calls. Your student loans will continue to accrue interest until it takes everything you earn to pay monthly installments. The millions of illegal aliens that were granted amnesty will be your lords and masters because they once had experience picking crops. If you rebel against the program you will be jailed or put into FEMA work camps. English will become your second language. You will dream of eating a Whopper Jr. and washing cars.

I took 4 years of Spanish in high school, and it just is not the same as being a native speaker. So jobs that require Spanish speakers really are discriminating against most American born citizens. I believe unless one is immersed in a Spanish speaking culture for at least a few years, you are not going to have the skills necessary nor be at the same level. It's impossible. We are talking the subtle nuances of language here too.

I went to apply for a job at a meat packing plant, in my 20s, yes I was that desperate, I'm glad they didn't hire me. I naively thought they'd put me on something more mild, but I was told to go away just for being an American. The illegals do have their own support networks and more. I don't blame them for trying to survive but I think our leaders have betrayed us, by putting Americans last. Their country bans illegal immigrants. I agree with you. English is already becoming a second language isn't it in the Southwest? I needed my 4 years of Spanish to communicate in a big city, I had to write notes and do my best, I write it better then speak it.

I think America is becoming a third world country. it's scary watching everything that is closing, how our big cities are becoming more and more impoverished.

Springflowers

Back to top Go down

Post by Springflowers Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 pm

USA Citizen wrote:It Takes a B.A. to Find a Job as a File Clerk

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/business/college-degree-required-by-increasing-number-of-companies.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc

'The college degree is becoming the new high school diploma: the new minimum requirement, albeit an expensive one, for getting even the lowest-level job.'

“When you get 800 résumés for every job ad, you need to weed them out somehow,” said Suzanne Manzagol, executive recruiter at Cardinal Recruiting Group.

“I am over $100,000 in student loan debt right now,” said Megan Parker, who earns $37,000 as the firm’s receptionist.

Honestly what a rip-off, the college degrees and what is learned at college does not even help with these jobs.

So it is a way to block poorer people out who could not afford college or even dream of paying the loans. 100,000 in student debt loan, what is her payment? She must pay 2/3rds of her entire salary. When are people going to realize it's all a scam?

Springflowers

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:07 pm

A college education is a scam?? Please don't discourage today's youth from getting a college degree, they will go nowhere in life without one, unless they have some type of technical training. One does not have to attend a prestigious college in order to land a job. Attending a community college for two years then transferring to a state college for the last two years is the most economical way for young people to get their education today. Pell Grants and hundreds of other scholarships are out there. You have to look!
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:27 pm

In Ohio Pell grants will cover the entire cost of a local comunity college..

it is not a choice this or that, it is possible to be part of the system while not "blindly believeing all you are told"

they actuallt teach "critical thinking" in college degree programs, kind of ironic..
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Degrees do not get you the job. They help you get your resume noticed but its not a guarantee. I see the point in having someone who is educated and who was ambitious enough to pursue an education working in a firm where at one time it only took a High School Diploma. Employees are investments as long as companies hire industrial psychologists--they're the one's who come up with hiring criteria and those god awful assessment tests and are often fresh graduates trying to prove something. This country isn't people oriented it is business oriented.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Hunter, no disrespect intended but do you have a degree?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 am

smindles wrote:Hunter, no disrespect intended but do you have a degree?

yes
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:20 am

Hunterforjobs wrote:
smindles wrote:Hunter, no disrespect intended but do you have a degree?

yes

Okay, let's do this in steps... college or high school?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:21 am

college

and where are you going with this?
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:35 am

Because I think your insinuation that a degree has no bearing on one's future. A college degree is a must, followed by continuous skill assessment and updating. Today if one does not have at least a college degree has screwed themselves.

That's where I'm going with this. i think your post is nuts!

Hunterforjobs wrote:Degrees do not get you the job. They help you get your resume noticed but its not a guarantee. I see the point in having someone who is educated and who was ambitious enough to pursue an education working in a firm where at one time it only took a High School Diploma. Employees are investments as long as companies hire industrial psychologists--they're the one's who come up with hiring criteria and those god awful assessment tests and are often fresh graduates trying to prove something. This country isn't people oriented it is business oriented.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:12 am

No, I was saying there are many people who have degrees, many people think degrees are instant job guarantees. If that were the case, none of us would be unemployed.

A degree gets you in the door, the rest is marketing yourself and telling the job you are right for them and why you are right for them and what you offering them. However, degree or not, employers or HR are playing games. Requiring a masters to stock shelves what does that tell us? And yes Industrial psychologists are the ones behind those assessment tests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_and_organizational_psychology
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next