Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed

+3
stillnutty
MistyBlue
DesperateInRI
7 posters

Go down

Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed Empty Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed

Post by DesperateInRI Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:04 am

Employers may be hiring, but there's another big problem with the job market that isn't being tracked as closely: the hopelessly unemployed.

An often overlooked number calculated by the Labor Department shows millions of Americans want a job but haven't searched for one in at least a year. They've simply given up hope.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/04/news/economy/hopelessly-unemployed-workers/
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed Empty Re: Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed

Post by MistyBlue Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:12 am

I know other people that fit this category, and I'm afraid that this will be me, too; I've been unemployed for almost a year now. Employers may be hiring, or so I hear, but they sure as heck ain't hiring me!

This is what I've been suspecting all along when they talk about the unemployment rate being around 7% - I'm thinking "yeah, right!".

Thanks for sharing the article, DesperateInRI!
MistyBlue
MistyBlue

Back to top Go down

Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed Empty Re: Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed

Post by stillnutty Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:49 am

From the article

These hopelessly unemployed have been unemployed so long they have fallen off Government measures altogether. CHECK

the fastest growing demographic in the category is over age 55 CHECK

Studies widely show the longer a person is unemployed the weaker the chances are of getting a job Check

Yep, as I have known for at least the last 2 years, after being out over 5 years, I fit squarely into the hopelessly, and FORGOTTEN unemployed category Sad Twisted Evil .

stillnutty
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:16 pm

So do I. I think what hurts our chances of finding a job has more to do with the gap in employment, rather than age. How could we find work when this whole thing started? The economy was hemorrhaging jobs, and we were in the middle of it. People don't realize how lucky they are. Despite coming very close to losing their EUC and reducing the maximum numbers of weeks to 73, they have a hell of a better chance of finding a job than we do.

As far as the article saying we gave up, NO, I don't agree. We are just overlooked, alone and forgotten. Sad
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by beretta1071@gmail.com Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 pm

I have a friend that went homeless after she collected all 99 weeks, she lived in her car for 3 months. She finally got a job but only because I helped her to get a job where she is at (we both work at the same company). If it wasn't for connections both her and I would be unemployed.

I had the connections at this company, which helped me and her to get a job there. You have to have connections to get jobs these days it seems.

beretta1071@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beretta1071@gmail.com Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 pm

I hope the fact that my husband has had only 2-3 month temp jobs since January 2012 (when he got laid off) won't be a factor also. His last job ended Oct 15, I hope he gets something soon, so their isn't too much of a gap.

the longest I have been unemployed is 1 month, so I don't know how it feels to be unemployed for long, but I 'am sure it must feel hopeless and very discouraging.

beretta1071@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sandygirl Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:00 am

It is true that unemployment rises. The unemployment rate fell to its lowest point in four years in Feb., according to the latest Labor Department work opportunities report, released March 8. More work opportunities were put into the economy than analysts predicted. The optimistic report was welcome, but surprised many.

sandygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Time and again, for the past few years I come upon a situation that leads me to exclaim that not fair.....

I am then led to the next conclusion, I dont know WHO deserves what or whatever......then

In just the last hundred years nations have fought wars that killed Millions of young men barely 18 years of age....

In the first world war both sides soldiers were convinced that THEY were fighting for freedom AND god was on THEIR side....

Perhaps my struggle to find meaningfull employment is not as bad as being butchered before the age of twenty. WHO's to say what is fair and who deserves what....

The millions who were slaughtered most probably did not DESERVE to DIE....

This reflection helps foster a sense of being gratefull for what i have and for how bad things could be....

just a thought
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:11 pm

Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it Elvis?
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum