Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~

2 posters

Go down

~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ Empty ~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~

Post by MaryKay Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:52 am

I am not trying to start a gender war here, really I am not. All candidates seem to have enough for all of us to like or dislike. My attempt with this thread is to keep our Women members informed of the views of local and national candidates and their views on Womens issues.

For many years I haven't felt that the Republican Party spoke for "me" as a women, even though over the years we have had some local candidates that were Republicans who really helped areas I lived in. I was open-minded enough to appreciate what they were doing. They were always very "mute" on womens issues and felt they were personal, never entered the abortion protests etc. Now they all seem to have disappeared, and worse, latetly, in this area, they want to tell me how I have to treat my body and make decisions for me. At 57, I am well past needing any form of birth control services, but it got me thinking alot yesterday about those who are not. I was married in 1984 and unable to have children, so again, birth control and abortion were not on my radar. But like many women, celebrated the right for women who wanted one to have an abortion, not because I think they are fabulous, let's face it, if faced with that decision, you are not doing it for spite, fun or to get even with the government. It's a serious, gut wrenching decision for most, which is why counseling is a must and should be. More should be done on that front.

What occurred to me yesterday, during one of the 5 thunderstorms we had, was that in 2012, more men, especially in Government, most of whom want smaller Government, or say they do, want a big say in our health.
My question is why???? They want a say in birth control, abortion, rape victim services, pap smears, mammograms, ultrasounds, genetic counseling for birth defects and cancer histories. Again this is 8/14/2012 not 1812. It was wrong then, so why would it be right now? Why would they care about this to the point of letting us default on debt to defund Planned Parenthood? My real question is ... what is at the core of this for these "men" of smaller Government? They villify the poor, the unemployed and what's left of the middle class, so what is it they are looking to do, or they are looking for? Do they need total control over our lives? I really have no answers.

I thought this would be a great place to post articles on local and national candidates and their views as it pertains to Women. I received an email that I will post today, hoping you all will as well.

This is not to start a Dem vs. Rep thread in any way. It's really just about the Women's Health issues and information that I think Women on the forum as well as all Women should know before voting. It took us a long time to get the Vote, and a lot of hard work to get it, we should honor those who did the leg work and Vote wisely.

These are just my thoughts and opinions, but I have been feeling this way for quite a while. Please share your thoughts and articles or links.

And, to be fair, to all our Men friends and members, you need to look at the candidates as well. Many of our elected officials have suggested they would be open to cuts for health issues that are critical to men. If you have thoughts on that, post a thread and the articles or pm me and I will do it for you.

mk

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ Empty Re: ~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~

Post by MaryKay Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:59 am

I get quite a few of these emails during the week, I have registered so many places to get information that I can post here and yesterday it got me really thinking on this issue. I hope it starts getting us all thinking. I have a tendency to focus solely at times on the economy and jobs, because it's my life right now and forget about other things that are important as well.

The geography of abortion access | Repro Health Watch‏

Newsletters | 8/14/12

National Partnership for Women & Families

Repro Health Watch — an exciting new edition of the Women’s Health Policy Report — is distributed every two weeks and features media coverage of proposed and enacted state laws and ballot initiatives affecting women's access to comprehensive reproductive health care, as well as litigation in response to those provisions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Geography of Abortion Access | August 14, 2012

FROM THE DESK OF... DR. WILLIE PARKER

Going to Mississippi: If I Don't, Who Will?

In referring to reproductive rights, military metaphors are often used to describe the dynamics between those who support and those who would constrain women. If abortion access is "war", then the state of Mississippi is the frontline, with the recent attempt of the state to implement requirements that abortions be performed by board certified/board eligible physicians in obstetrics and gynecology (OB-Gyn), and who hold hospital admitting privileges at a facility nearby.

These regulations would shut down the remaining abortion clinic in the state, effectively denying women their constitutionally-protected right to abortion simply because they live in the state of Mississippi. Proponents of such an action argue that they are "protecting" the health of women, but the truth would suggest otherwise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report Notes 40 Laws Enacted in 15 States That Could Hinder Women's Access to Abortion Care, Reproductive Health Service
U.S. women increasingly face barriers to obtaining reproductive health services as states continue to pass laws restricting access, according to a report released by the Center for Reproductive Rights, Reuters reports.

Protecting Abortion Rights Requires Vigilant Defense, Los Angeles Times Editorial States
"[A]n aggressive campaign to curtail [women's reproductive] rights is being waged across the country as opponents seize every opportunity to deny women long-established constitutional protections," a Los Angeles Times editorial states.

Featured Blog: 'Pro-Life Sentences'
Scott Lemieux of the American Prospect explains how two recent court rulings in South Dakota and Arizona "conspicuously refuse to take a woman's reproductive rights seriously" and violate the Supreme Court precedent of Planned Parenthood v. Casey.

Antiabortion Groups Target States With One Abortion Provider
While the fight plays out over a Mississippi law (HB 1390) that adds new restrictions on abortion providers, abortion-right opponents are pushing similar measures in other states that have only one surgical abortion provider, Politico Pro reports.

S.D. Taxpayers Foot $377,735 Bill To Defend Antiabortion Law
The defense of a 2005 South Dakota abortion law has cost taxpayers $377,735, according to the state Attorney General's Office, the Sioux Falls Argus Leader.

Recent Court Rulings Fail To Preserve Women's Constitutional Rights, New York Times Editorial States
"At a time when abortion rights and women's access to affordable contraception are threatened by political attacks, judges in three newly decided federal cases failed to preserve constitutional protections for women," a New York Times editorial states.

Okla. Appeals Ruling That Struck Down State Ultrasound Law
Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt (R) has appealed a ruling against a state law that requires doctors to show women ultrasounds of their fetuses and describe the images before providing abortion care, The Oklahoman reports.

ABOUT US

For questions about your e-mail subscription or content contained within Repro Health Watch:

Phone: (202) 986-2600
Fax: (202) 986-2539
Email Us »

Subscribe Today »

The information contained in this publication reflects media coverage of women's health issues and does not necessarily reflect the views of the National Partnership for Women & Families.

© 2012 National Partnership for Women & Families
1875 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 650 | Washington, DC 20009
202.986.2600 | 202.986.2539 (fax) | info@nationalpartnership.org
Update your e-mail preferences | Unsubscribe

» Tell-a-friend
» Sign-up
» Donate now

The Daily Women's Health Policy Report is a free service of the National Partnership for Women & Families, by The Advisory Board Company. © 2012 National Partnership for Women & Families. All rights reserved.

I will post the links next.

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ Empty Re: ~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~

Post by MaryKay Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:01 am

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:57 am

The so-called pro-life party scares me to death as it takes away a woman's right to choose. Making birth control and preventative medical care unavailable or off limits to women who cannot afford it is discrimination and can't be tolerated. Being raised Catholic and educated in Catholic schools doesn't make me an advocate for abortion, but I don't think my religious views should interfere with someone else's life. We are all accountable for our own actions and no one else should make the choices for us. The mandatory trans vaginal ultrasound before abortion law in some states is barbaric and cruel.

I don't know what will happen if the GOP takes the elections this year. I do know it will set us back at least 50 years in Women's Rights, Civil Rights and Worker's Rights.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:45 pm

August 16, 2012

Up to 4.6 Million Women of Reproductive Age Eligible for Expanded Medicaid Coverage, Study Finds
Women of reproductive age account for about 4.6 million of an estimated 15 million uninsured U.S. residents who could obtain coverage under the federal health reform law's (PL 111-148) Medicaid expansion, according to a study by the Urban Institute and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, CQ HealthBeat reports.

Women Gain From Reform Law's Preventive Services Provision, Des Moines Register Opinion Piece Says
Under a provision in the Affordable Care Act (PL 111-148) that took effect Aug. 1, "a woman's decision about obtaining preventive health care will no longer hinge on her ability to pay," former Iowa Lt. Gov. Sally Pederson (D) writes in a Des Moines Register opinion piece.

Blogs Comment on Paul Ryan, WHO Abortion Guidelines, Court Cases and More
We've compiled some of the most thought-provoking commentaries from around the Web. Catch up on the conversation with bloggers from Feministing, TPMMuckraker and more.

Nuns Call for 'Dialogue' With Vatican Over Doctrinal Disagreements
Leaders of U.S. Catholic nuns on Friday said they would "dialogue" with church leaders about potential changes but would not "compromise the integrity" of their mission, the New York Times reports.

HHS Announces Grants To Support Care for Women, Children With HIV/AIDS
HHS on Tuesday announced $68 million in grants to help women, infants and children with HIV/AIDS who have limited or no access to treatment receive comprehensive care, The Hill's "Healthwatch" reports.

Most State 'Fetal Pain' Bills Yet To Face Court Challenges
Several states have enacted abortion bans later in pregnancy based on the disputed theory that a fetus can feel pain after 20 weeks of gestation, but only one has been challenged in court, Politico reports.

Affordable Care Act Targets Discrimination Against Transgender Patients
The federal health reform law (PL 111-148) includes several new protections aimed at curtailing discrimination against transgender patients by health care providers and insurers, The Nation reports.

Possibility of Antibiotic-Resistant Strain of Gonorrhea Leads CDC To Suggest Physicians Stop Using Key Treatment
Physicians should stop using the oral antibiotic cefixime for routine cases of gonorrhea because it is becoming less effective, according to new guidelines published Thursday in CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, CQ HealthBeat reports.

Gains for Women's Rights Under Threat in Afghanistan, New York Times Editorial States
While women's rights in Afghanistan "have made modest but encouraging gains over the past decade," that progress could "disappear without a strong commitment to preserve and advance them from Afghan leaders, Washington and other international partners," a New York Times editorial states.

Former Susan G. Komen Executive Handel To Release Book Titled 'Planned Bullyhood'
Karen Handel, former senior vice president of public policy at Susan G. Komen for the Cure, will release a book this fall titled "Planned Bullyhood," according to an announcement by her publisher, the AP/Washington Post reports (AP/Washington Post, 8/13).

Videos React to Controversial AP Story, Planned Parenthood Cuts, Romney's VP Pick

Our weekly video roundup includes a unique assortment of Web videos hand-picked by our editors. This week, we look at controversial media coverage of a Kansas prosecutor's race, a satire on Planned Parenthood cuts and the response to Mitt Romney's choice of running mate.

Up to 4.6 Million Women of Reproductive Age Eligible for Expanded Medicaid Coverage, Study Finds

Women Gain From Reform Law's Preventive Services Provision, Des Moines Register Opinion Piece Says

Blogs Comment on Paul Ryan, WHO Abortion Guidelines, Court Cases and More

Nuns Call for 'Dialogue' With Vatican Over Doctrinal Disagreements

HHS Announces Grants To Support Care for Women, Children With HIV/AIDS

Most State 'Fetal Pain' Bills Yet To Face Court Challenges

Affordable Care Act Targets Discrimination Against Transgender Patients

Possibility of Antibiotic-Resistant Strain of Gonorrhea Leads CDC To Suggest Physicians Stop Using Key Treatment

Gains for Women's Rights Under Threat in Afghanistan, New York Times Editorial States

Former Susan G. Komen Executive Handel To Release Book Titled 'Planned Bullyhood'

Videos React to Controversial AP Story, Planned Parenthood Cuts, Romney's VP Pick

Debra Ness, publisher & president, National Partnership

Andrea Friedman, associate editor & director of reproductive health programs, National Partnership

Marya Torrez, associate editor & senior reproductive health policy counsel, National Partnership

Melissa Safford, associate editor & policy advocate for reproductive health, National Partnership

Perry Sacks, assistant editor & health program associate, National Partnership

Lena Solow, assistant editor & communications assistant, National Partnership

Justyn Ware, editor

Amanda Wolfe, editor-in-chief

Heather Drost, Hanna Jaquith, Ashley Marchand, Michelle Stuckey and Lindsey Underwood, staff writers

Tucker Ball, director of new media, National Partnership

For questions about your e-mail subscription or content contained within the Women's Health Policy Report:

Phone: (202) 986-2600
Fax: (202) 986-2539
Email Us »

Format & Frequency »
Reprint Permission »
Frequently Asked Questions »
Contact Info »
Subscribe Today »

The information contained in this publication reflects media coverage of women’s health issues and does not necessarily reflect the views of the National Partnership for Women & Families.

Received this earlier today. mk

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Hmmmm.... scratch Tis the first time I've heard this theory

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/20/joe-scarborough-todd-akin-rape-morning-joe_n_1810077.html

Todd Akin inserts foot in big mouth over abortion and rape victims and joe Scarborough shares his thoughts on the insanity....and these are supposed to be educated people who hold office and are responsible for the entire country??? This is a joke, right?

~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ 545210 ~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ 9685

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Someone forgot to tell me that there is something in a female body that can stop pregnancy. Guess you wish it away? scratch

Thank goodness I'm not from MO! Senator McCaskill wad just about guaranteed victory when Atkins came out with that blunder.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:30 am

Sick and tired wrote:Hmmmm.... scratch Tis the first time I've heard this theory

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/20/joe-scarborough-todd-akin-rape-morning-joe_n_1810077.html

Todd Akin inserts foot in big mouth over abortion and rape victims and joe Scarborough shares his thoughts on the insanity....and these are supposed to be educated people who hold office and are responsible for the entire country??? This is a joke, right?

~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ 545210 ~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ 9685

Todd Akin and Paul Ryan co-sponsored a very controversial bill with exceptions for abortions, forcable vs.legitimate rape. Didn't really know that rape wasn't rape.

I say, just let them keep talking, I am sure the President feels the same way.

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Thanks for adding your name.

Republican Congressman Todd Akin told a Missouri news station:

"First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare... If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Help us reach 200,000 signatures telling Speaker Boehner to remove Akin from the House Science Committee.

Please forward this email to 3 of your friends right now and encourage them to add their name at http://dccc.org/Denounce-Todd-Akin.

You can also share this petition on Facebook and Twitter:

Thank you for your support!I received this email earlier today and I did sign the petition.

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:26 pm

DIRI wrote:Someone forgot to tell me that there is something in a female body that can stop pregnancy. Guess you wish it away? scratch

Thank goodness I'm not from MO! Senator McCaskill wad just about guaranteed victory when Atkins came out with that blunder.

This has, believe it or not, been a tight race, the DCCC has spent some money in MO for her and she has seperated herself at times from the President in an attempt to hold the seat. This may be "the miracle" the republicans claimed Sen. McCaskill needed to retain her seat..

Is this guy for real? Think about this, first it's Ms. Bachman and one of her constituents telling her that her daughter became mentally smart person from the HPV vaccine and now this guy knows a Dr. that assures him a womans body will reject a pregnancy due to rape. Does the Republican party not remember Sarah Palin?? Do they not think that vetting is prudent???

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 pm

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Not that this will shock our members, but in light of Mr. Akins remarks and the outcry of Republicans against his statement, this comes just three days later:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/gop-platform-abortion_n_1815021.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:52 pm

we have "the solid south" in US politics.....going back to 1920 none of the southern states even ratified giving women the right to vote....NONE!!

the republican party has moved from "conservative" to the party of Stupid

to quote "morning Joe"
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:35 pm

That frightens me. It is like a cult. I watched Romney and Ryan together at a "Town Hall" on _Monday. If I didn't know better, I think I'd be very confused about who to vote for in November. Those two can charm a snake!

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:20 pm

I seriously do NOT get the mind set. It's really wild. Maybe they really think that there will be a huge rallying cry for their brand of policies. I don't get it.

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Just the most nutzo stuff I've heard from the GOP lately. With the baby boom generation no longer having children, are they basically looking for a generation of children that they think they will be able to mold into what (a cult)??

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:41 pm

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKay Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:57 am

Tonight the fun begins. Hopefully, we won't be hearing what other rights they want to remove from women. ~2012 Candidates vs.Women and Womens Health~ 34243

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down