Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
My First post, it's a long one! EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
My First post, it's a long one! EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
My First post, it's a long one! EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

My First post, it's a long one!

+3
elvis44102
Daveparts
Economiccollapse2012
7 posters

Go down

My First post, it's a long one! Empty My First post, it's a long one!

Post by Economiccollapse2012 Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Was laid off 6/2009 spent 2 years looking for a new job, I scored one (IT Project Management, it was a 6 month contract, but hey it was better than nothing!).

OK so 4 months BEFORE the contract was to end I started sending out and speaking to recruiters, I had really really crappy interviews, with the interviewer at one interview was saying expletives every other word (can we say "VERY Unprofessional") I do not care if it a "Buyers" market that was so uncalled for I sat there in amazement.

The on telephone interviews I can hear the interviewer reading from a script, I've interviewed MANY people in the past and never needed a cheat sheet on the phone or in person. Most of these people who are interviewing are afraid of losing their job so if someone poses a potential threat to them they are out of the running.

And it goes on and on.

I am so tired of sending out resumes and speaking to these recruiters who know nothing about project management and getting no where.

Found a write up from a job seeker on Dice.com that he actually put on the internet:

Do NOT contact me in any way to offer an opportunity in sales. I'm not a salesman. I don't care how many I.T. people you have on your sales force, they probably suck at I.T. and that's why they are there. I couldn't sell a glass of ice water in Hell. This means YOU, AFLAC!

Recruiters and HR people, please call me only if you have real positions to fill. Don't waste your time and mine with promises you can't or don't intend to keep, positions that are contingent on upcoming contracts, or just filling a quota to keep the boss off your back.

I will NOT stop interviewing with other firms just to satisfy your exclusivity rules, I have to keep all avenues open.

I will NOT take tests to prove my ability as a Project Manager. I refuse to help you perpetrate fraud by skewing or falsifying scores to claim there aren't enough qualified people in this field, then hiring legions of H-1B visa holders who work for peanuts.

I will NOT supply professional references to anyone but the party for whom I will be directly working for. My references have been complaining of unsolicited sales pitches from recruiting and staffing outfits.

Do NOT call me if I do not have a MAJORITY of the skills needed for the position. One or two skills from a list ten just won't cut it with your client. Trust me.

Do NOT call me if the position requires a DOD clearance. I don't have one, and I'm not getting one. No matter what you think, say, do, or who you know can get me a clearance. However a regular background check will fly without a problem. I have no criminal past.

I require recruiters, staffing firms, and head hunters to reveal their clients to me, in confidence, to prevent duplication.

I apologize if the reader is a little put off by this list of 'demands', but I have been burned too many times in the last few months.

Thank you for your understanding

I am tired and not physically.

Last edited by MaryKay on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moderated for possibly offensive content.)

Economiccollapse2012

Back to top Go down

My First post, it's a long one! Empty Re: My First post, it's a long one!

Post by Daveparts Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:41 pm

I read this at the bottom of a Craigslist ad,

"Please don't apply for this job unless fully qualified, as we have been inundated with out of work applicants."

Scuse us, for looking for a job!

Daveparts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Boo hoo for them. and yes, please excuse us.

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Welcome to the forum
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:44 am

Daveparts wrote:I read this at the bottom of a Craigslist ad,

"Please don't apply for this job unless fully qualified, as we have been inundated with out of work applicants."

Scuse us, for looking for a job!

In my opinion, people who put their approval on this kind of job posting should be put in jail!
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:58 am

Yep, and please potential employers never call or send an email to thank the applicant for their time or to simply let them know that you won't be hiring them--just let them dangle with hope for a job that you will not give them...
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:03 pm

That's the worst part. You have to send a thank you email or make a phone call from the car on your way home anymore, but they don't have to have the common courtesy of at least telling you no. I was raised differently than that, and I realize that not everyone always shows proper form or etiquette, but as a business, your employees should be mandated to observe proper practices.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:09 pm

It's rude. I can understand some companies if they've interviewed many, many people, but families who have interviewed potential nannies have no manners when they forget to at least send out a "thank you" for coming over... One mother told me that she has a "temper" and that I should just not take it personally! Ugh...no thank you! Gads! Who do people think that they are? So obnoxious!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:56 pm

Blows me away when the HR folks can't even ask the support staff to make sure you get an e-mail thanking you for your interest, etc. You would think that this would be a standard procedure involving what the Human Resource Department does to add value to the company. After all, what the hell is human resource if not reaching out to humans. Just plain drives me crazy when I don't hear anything after sending several e-mails inquiring as to the status of the position. Now it appears that HR stands for something much different, like human rejection center.

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:51 pm

I had an interview with a local high school, for a simple job position as a cafeteria monitor, and was actually interviewed by the school principal. I realized once I arrived that I would never acquire the job, since many of the parents of the children attending there were sitting in the lobby waiting for their interview as well. After a week or two and not hearing from her about the position I, too, followed up with a letter. When she finally responded to my letter, that the position had been taken, I e-mailed her back telling her how dissappointed I was that, as a school principal, she didn't have the common courtesy to inform those she interviewed. I've been told that doing as such could hurt me in the end, burn a bridge....but at this stage of the game, I think it's only fair to let these perspective employers know that we expect from them, the same as they expect from us...professional courtesy. As time goes on, I am getting tuffer and harder...and emotionally I don't give a hoot anymore in what they might think of my letters. Burning Bridges???? If they didn't hire me once, what makes anyone think they would hire me later.

Last edited by MarilynL on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : let words out.)

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 pm

I hear ya!

Or how about the form letter that basically states that they are looking for someone with "different qualifications" than you have even though you are probably the most qualified person who has applied...basically the letter should read, "We are looking to hire someone with few qualifications so that we can pay them crap wages..." UGH!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:06 pm

HA!...I agree on that one...and you know, I just might use those exact words when responding to the last rejection I got....a job that I was very qualified for. The letters I receive state: "We have hired a candidate whose qualificatioins we feel meet our needs."....even though I've been doing that job for over 30 years...

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:12 pm

Yep, I've received several of these and know that it's not because I'm under-qualified, but just the opposite... Suspect
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by Springflowers Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:44 am

MarilynL wrote: I had an interview with a local high school, for a simple job position as a cafeteria monitor, and was actually interviewed by the school principal. I realized once I arrived that I would never acquire the job, since many of the parents of the children attending there were sitting in the lobby waiting for their interview as well. After a week or two and not hearing from her about the position I, too, followed up with a letter. When she finally responded to my letter, that the position had been taken, I e-mailed her back telling her how dissappointed I was that, as a school principal, she didn't have the common courtesy to inform those she interviewed. I've been told that doing as such could hurt me in the end, burn a bridge....but at this stage of the game, I think it's only fair to let these perspective employers know that we expect from them, the same as they expect from us...professional courtesy. As time goes on, I am getting tuffer and harder...and emotionally I don't give a hoot anymore in what they might think of my letters. Burning Bridges???? If they didn't hire me once, what makes anyone think they would hire me later.

Hey its better you stood up to them. Some of these people are such snobs, they do not care. I got tired of the ill treatment and told a few, why didn't you ever write or call and it is RUDE.

Springflowers

Back to top Go down

Post by Economiccollapse2012 Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:55 pm

I have given up.... totally. I am behind on everything including Child support and cannot even tread water, I'm underwater.

I have been preparing for this for some time, even when I was working for the 6 months.

I have given up on everything.

Not being mean but please spare me the cliche's: Oh you have so much to live for, Things have to get worst before they get better, you need to talk to someone, you need help, don't do anything stupid and the best the economy will get better... please I need a job now not in 1 or 2 years.....

Economiccollapse2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:02 pm

I won't give you cliches because what is the point in that? We've all been there struggling, having panic attacks in the middle of the nights and wishing for an end--one way or another. The only thing that I will say is that if you have children, you need to consider them...emotionally, etc. Be a role model regardless. Wink
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Crying or Very sad
I hear you...hoping that doesn't sound like a cliche. The only reason I'm not on the street right now is because my landlord is being very understanding, some thing you don't see every day. But when I can't pay my oil bill to heat our place, not sure where I'll be then.

I say, why don't all the unemployed get together and tent out on the white house lawn, or better yet, why don't we tent out even in our local town...I think our mayors are also blind. We should be able to do something to wake everyone up.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down