Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act

Go down

S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act Empty S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:09 am

S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act

Official Summary
9/7/2011--Introduced.21st Century WPA Act - Establishes within the Department of Labor a Works Progress Administration (WPA). Requires eligible federal departments to submit to the WPA proposals for works projects that produce a high number of employee hours per dollar of the total project cost, and meet certain other criteria. Permits such projects to include:
(1) residential and commercial building weatherization projects;
(2) residential and commercial water use efficiency improvement projects;
(3) highway, bridge, and rail repair and maintenance projects;
(4) manufacturing projects;
(5) school, library, and firehouse construction projects;
(6) soil erosion and pesticide runoff prevention projects; and
(7) trail maintenance projects. Makes an employer who is unable to hire an individual to fill a job position that has been vacant for 90 days eligible to enter into an agreement with the WPA to provide training to a WPA fellow in order to become qualified to fill such position. Prescribes WPA fellowship program requirements. Authorizes the Secretary of Labor to transfer amounts appropriated under this Act to the Attorney General and to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for grants for the hiring of eligible public safety individuals. Amends the Internal Revenue Code to impose a 5.4% surcharge on individual taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income exceeds $1 million ($2 million for joint returns). Dedicates amounts collected from such surcharge to federal deficit reduction.
Sponsor:

Senator
Frank Lautenberg

D-NJ

Co-Sponsors

Sen. Mark Begich [D, AK]
Added September 16, 2011
Sen. Richard Blumenthal [D, CT]
Added September 07, 2011
Sen. Thomas Harkin [D, IA]
Added September 07, 2011
Sen. John Reed [D, RI]
Added September 07, 2011
Sen. Bernard Sanders [I, VT]

View the entire Bill: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s1517/show

Committee: Senate Finance Committee
Sen. Max Baucus (D) - Chairman
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R) - Ranking Member

http://www.finance.senate.gov/

Back to top Go down

S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act Empty Re: S.1517 - 21st Century WPA Act

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:23 am

We have been asking for job creation.....here is a proposal. We need to advocate for legislation like this, it isn't going to happen by itself. Why are there only 5 Co-Sponsors? Why has it been in the Finance Committee since September?

I see one of my Senators on there, but where is Sheldon Whitehouse? A program like this, especially in depressed economy like RI's, would be a major boost.

Some will say that it will create only menial labor jobs. Not true! Our roads and bridges are in such bad shape, everyone from Engineers, skilled labor, administrative employees, clerks, IT professionals, janitors, maintenance, general laborers, etc., etc., etc,. will benefit from something like this. This stimulates the economy, which is going to get worse as people start losing their unemployment benefits due to the recent changes made by Congress. Jobs create consumers who create more jobs.

This Bill is a start to putting America on the right track. Sure, we will have to make sacrifices, but so did our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents during the Depression in the 1930's. They survived and were probably better people for going through something like that. Instead of demanding for jobs that will never come back, and pushing for more unemployment benefits, we should be in Congress's face everyday to get a program like this moving NOW.

If you browse through the Bills in the OpenCongress site, you will note that there are over 2,000 in the Senate that have not yet been acted upon and over 4,000 in the House. Of course a bill like this is going to get lost in the Finance Committee, especially in an election year! It is up to us to bring it to the forefront and make it happen!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Desp, just to add a thought to what you've said. I don't have time right now to view the projects that are proposed for job creation. I do hope, however, that the areas for job creation are to bring this country to a higher level... not jobs just for jobs sake - that would only bite us in the rear "down the road".

While talking about "roads", I think that we're just going to have to suffer with the condition of our used car (roads and bridges) for now. When as a nation we are prospering we can beef up our infrastructure in these areas.

JMO... (I hate that phrase! Very Happy Like daaaah!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:29 am

This program will not "bite us in the rear down the road", they will create jobs that create comsumers, which are dropping like flies because of all the cutbacks. It all goes back to Economics 101: Supply and Demand! More consumers buying, more employers (at every level) hiring. Unless a temporary program like this is implemented, it is only going to get a lot worse. Millions will be without any income by the end of the year when EUC08 is finally phased out.

Do you realize that anyone who gets laid off after the end of this month, will NOT be eligible for any type of extended benefits at all. Twenty-six weeks of benefits and that is it. In some states, they have cutback to 20 weeks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:00 am

Desp, I wasn't referring to the program. I was talking about the type of jobs created.

I agree totally about what you've said about the program! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:13 am

DesperateInRI wrote:
Do you realize that anyone who gets laid off after the end of this month, will NOT be eligible for any type of extended benefits at all. Twenty-six weeks of benefits and that is it. In some states, they have cutback to 20 weeks!

Not to stay off topic here but..I guarantee those laid off then DO NOT KNOW THIS....
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:

Not to stay off topic here but..I guarantee those laid off then DO NOT KNOW THIS....

I agree, I don't think many do! Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:09 pm

IMO, these types of jobs are a part of the fabric of this country and have been for generations. Not everyone is or can be a business owner, CEO, or politician etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Sick n Tired wrote:
Jobless_in_Ma wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:

I agree, I don't think many do! Crying or Very sad
Some are just catching on now and are panicking. Many old members know that feeling of dread and hopelessness when you are coming to the end of your unemployment compensation. Those laid off after us never thought it could happen to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:15 pm

Sick n Tired wrote: IMO, these types of jobs are a part of the fabric of this country and have been for generations. Not everyone is or can be a business owner, CEO, or politician etc.

(lol) you rip me apart sometimes. Kinda' dramatic.

Touche...

Yes let's spend our $$$ on the short term "pave the way" for the Hindenburg. Because that's where America is heading if this short term crap and crying continues.

Use the kid's college fund to buy the new car, instead of maintaining what we have and building for the future - sorry kids.

Louise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down