Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
working on the inside week two EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
working on the inside week two EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
working on the inside week two EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
working on the inside week two EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
working on the inside week two EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
working on the inside week two EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
working on the inside week two EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
working on the inside week two EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
working on the inside week two EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
working on the inside week two EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
working on the inside week two EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
working on the inside week two EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
working on the inside week two EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
working on the inside week two EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
working on the inside week two EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
October 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

working on the inside week two

2 posters

Go down

working on the inside week two Empty working on the inside week two

Post by elvis44102 Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:19 pm

just a few thoughts...i have finished my second week of a small project for a major financial instituion...I have met people who talk about good deals on ski-trip vactions...new auto purchases and continuing on to Grad school....some seem totally oblivious to the problems us poor people face daily...

1) women are getting organized against the republicans
2) the "stand your ground" legislation pushed by the NRA/republicans has brought about major backlash from civil rights groups....
3) and of course the ongoing Union fight against the Republican governors...

i am hoping all three combine in just a general "throw out the republicans" group....

of course i am being a little melodramtic just for fun....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s76mkRRGPZA&feature=related
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

working on the inside week two Empty Re: working on the inside week two

Post by ranbrow123 Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:32 pm

elvis44102 wrote: the "stand your ground" legislation pushed by the NRA/republicans has brought about major backlash from civil rights groups....

I'm not sure if you're just passing on the memo or if you disagree with "stand your ground" legislation, but I never understood what the problem with this is. Even if someone is only looking to give you a beating, it's actually not that hard to die from one when you're surrounded by asphalt and concrete. If someone is willing to put your life at risk to rob you/rape you/prove a point, why should you have to run first? They were okay with breaking the law and putting your life in jeopardy, so why shouldn't you -- as a law-abiding citizen -- be allowed to defend yourself if you so choose?

I mean, it's not like "stand your ground" means "if someone says something smart, shoot them." Conservative laws or not, if someone calls you a punk and you shoot him in the chest for it, the self-defense argument is not flying in a court of law.

Running involves turning your back to the dude, and I really don't like that because now you're just giving him the option of saying "well, they saw my face" and shooting you in the back so you can't call the cops and give them a description. At least if you stand and fight, you'll see him going for a gun and be able to react, and if you've practiced enough, you'll probably be a faster draw than him, since I doubt most thieves put a ton of practice into things like that. If they had that kind of foresight, chances are good they wouldn't need to rob to make a "living."

That being said, I think anyone who owns a gun should definitely look into getting some practice with it if they don't know how to use one properly -- learn how to handle it, get comfortable with firing it, how to be responsible with it, etc. Otherwise, a likely scenario is you'll choke when it comes time to use the thing, get it taken off you, then die by your own gun.

Probably a bit off-topic and not where you wanted this thread to go. Sorry about that.

ranbrow123

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:53 pm

i am in favor of self-defense, it just seems from my limited following of the florida shooting that the new "stand your ground" laws shifts the burden of proof in the wrong direction.....from my understanding the law was pushed through with the help of the NRA.....

But i was pointing more in the direction that another conservative held position is coming out strongly under attack as the main point....

I am sure there is some merit to the actual law and its INTENTIONs its just that intensions are one thing and effect are another...
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:02 am

If it wasn't just another piece of news BUT it was YOUR SON I think you'd all be a bit less wordsmith and a lot more REAL.

Back to top Go down

Post by ranbrow123 Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:50 am

aloneinNY51 wrote:If it wasn't just another piece of news BUT it was YOUR SON I think you'd all be a bit less wordsmith and a lot more REAL.

If who was my son?

ranbrow123

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:26 am

ranbrow123 wrote:
aloneinNY51 wrote:If it wasn't just another piece of news BUT it was YOUR SON I think you'd all be a bit less wordsmith and a lot more REAL.

If who was my son?
Trayvon Martin!

Yes, elvis, this "Stand Your Ground" law had some heavy lobbying from the NRA. When then governor Jeb Bush signed this bill into law in 2005, the top lobbyists from that organization were at his side.

Back to top Go down

Post by ranbrow123 Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:40 am

DesperateInRI wrote:Trayvon Martin!

I don't really consider shooting unarmed teenagers "standing your ground."

ranbrow123

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:32 am

""" by ranbrow123 Today at 9:40 am

.DesperateInRI wrote:
Trayvon Martin!

I don't really consider shooting unarmed teenagers "standing your ground."."""

But THATS entirely the point...its not but thanks to yet another republican agenda backed set of laws.... the shooter has not even been charged because it seems the case (at least on the local level)
SEEMS to be within the new law....
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by ranbrow123 Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:35 pm

elvis44102 wrote:""" by ranbrow123 Today at 9:40 am

.DesperateInRI wrote:
Trayvon Martin!

I don't really consider shooting unarmed teenagers "standing your ground."."""

But THATS entirely the point...its not but thanks to yet another republican agenda backed set of laws.... the shooter has not even been charged because it seems the case (at least on the local level)
SEEMS to be within the new law....

Ulterior motives or not, I doubt anybody who passed this law had legalizing shooting unarmed teenagers in mind. I get that it's a side-effect of the law, but -- like many things our law-makers do -- I think this loophole can be attributed to ignorance rather than malice. Tax loopholes, sure, there's money to be made there for their benefactors, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were set up like that. But nobody in the machine really benefits from an unarmed teenager being shot, especially when it causes this kind of backlash against what they're trying to do.

Also, according to this article, it was "supported by legislators from both parties." The republicans may have had an agenda, but if someone is getting hurt by something, and you stand by and let it pass when you could have done something about it, it's almost as bad as doing it to them yourself.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin-stand-ground-laws-scrutiny-florida-shooting/story?id=15988474#.T282U9Wc06c

Anyway, with the current sentiment towards the situation, I think the law will be clarified and this shooting will not count as being able to reasonably claim he was defending himself. Anything less is an abortion of justice, and I mean, yeah I guess we ARE talking about Florida, here, so who knows?

ranbrow123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down