Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act

Go down

Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act Empty Letter From My Senator Re: American Dream Act

Post by Marian Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:41 pm

I got the following letter today from my senator and it almost sounds personal since I said that I'm an out of work teacher... Neat letter!

Dear Marian,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for President Obama's jobs proposal, the "American Jobs Act." I likewise support the President's jobs proposal, and I welcome this opportunity to respond.

As you know, on September 8, 2011 President Obama addressed a Joint Session of Congress to propose his new employment initiative, the "American Jobs Act." This $447 billion plan aims to reduce unemployment and boost the economy by extending and expanding soon-to-expire payroll tax cuts and unemployment insurance, as well as providing much-needed funding for major transportation and infrastructure projects. The bill would also provide aid to states to retain millions of teachers and first responders during difficult budgetary times.

Economists have projected this package, if implemented fully, would create as many as 1.9 million jobs nationwide, lowering the unemployment rate by one percent and increasing the country's gross domestic product (GDP) between 0.7 – 2%. Please know that, like you, I believe Congress must do more to solve the nation's persistent unemployment crisis. I believe that the potential for a double-dip recession requires that Congress take immediate, bipartisan action to help increase economic growth in the short term, while simultaneously reducing our national debt over the long run.

On October 10, 2011, the Senate voted on a motion to invoke cloture, a procedure used to advance legislation, on proceeding to consider the "American Jobs Act." While a simple majority is required for a bill to pass the Senate, cloture requires a 60 vote majority. I voted to support the jobs bill and for cloture, but Senate Republicans uniformly voted against cloture for this bill and the motion was rejected by a vote of 50-49.

In light of this vote, Senator Reid has begun to introduce the "American Jobs Act" as a series of smaller bills. I am cosponsor of the "Teachers and First Responders Back to Work Act" (S. 1723) and the "Rebuild America Jobs Act" (S. 1769), which are the first of the smaller bills to be introduced. While Senate Republicans uniformly opposed the "Teachers and First Responders Back to Work Act" by a vote of 50-50, please know that I will continue to work with my colleagues to evaluate, and hopefully pass, the President's plan.

Once again, thank you for writing. I hope you will continue to keep in touch on issues of importance to you. If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Wishing you a happy 2012.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum