Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation

2 posters

Go down

Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation Empty Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation

Post by Tawanda Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:10 pm

So I've been working a seasonal job since the end of May. The stated end date was 09/30 but they couldn't located a suitable third seasonal so they kept the two they had (us) on longer. So the date the money is scheduled to last until is 11/25. Well now, since things are calming down, duties are being removed, cases closed out.

So we get an email this week asking us for letters of resignation. For a seasonal job. Um.

So the other seasonal spoke to several lawyers he knows and apparently it's illegal to even ask for such a letter.

Our assumption is that they realized they messed up in keeping us outside of the stated season and now they're trying to make it so we can't claim unemployment. Lovely huh?

Any suggestions? We're not going to give them the letters (mainly because we're not dumb). Not really sure what they can do about it, quite frankly. So this job that has been good and that I'm grateful to have had, has now turned on me. Weird things have started to happen. Such as, they reduce tasks and then get on us for not having enough to do. It's strange. I'm not quite sure what the deal is with the game playing but whatever at this point...

Thanks

Tawanda

Back to top Go down

Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation Empty Re: Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation

Post by Guest Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Do not sign a letter of resignation. On your last day, make sure you call the UC office you would normally apply to. Make sure you tell them it was seasonal, lasted from/to and that you were asked for letters of resignation. If you worked the 6 months, you should be eligible to collect, I don't know for how long or for how much, but make sure you tell the rep you were asked for a letter of resignation. The call the Labor Relations board. Register your complaint, then follow up in writing, certified, return receipt requested. It will cost you a few dollars but worth it.

Back to top Go down

Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation Empty Re: Seasonal Job Employer Asking for Letter of Resignation

Post by Tawanda Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:31 pm

MaryKay wrote:Do not sign a letter of resignation. On your last day, make sure you call the UC office you would normally apply to. Make sure you tell them it was seasonal, lasted from/to and that you were asked for letters of resignation. If you worked the 6 months, you should be eligible to collect, I don't know for how long or for how much, but make sure you tell the rep you were asked for a letter of resignation. The call the Labor Relations board. Register your complaint, then follow up in writing, certified, return receipt requested. It will cost you a few dollars but worth it.

Thanks! We started at the end of May 2011. Do we still qualify for UI?

Tawanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:36 pm

You do have a full quarter. I am not aware of all the laws concerning seasonal, but since you are almost 6 months in, that should, count as a quarter, you were kept beyond the seasonal date. I am just encouraging you to please contact the Labor Dept. If they are hiring under "seasonal" for tax and issues like non-payment of UI, they need to be reported.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tawanda Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:25 am

Really appreciate your advice! I'll keep you posted... Take Care!

Tawanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Lacey Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:32 am

Exactly Mary Kay!!

Letter of Resignation??? You Are Not Resigning = You Are Being Laid Off for Lack Of Work, The Way I Read It, which should constitute, qualify, for UE!!!

Lacey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:30 am

Tawanda, please do. I hope this all works out for you. If you wouldn't mind, it would be helpful for others to know what takes place so as to avoid the pitfalls of seasonal employment situations.

I still strongly urge that you contact the Dept. of Labor for your State. This is information they should know about and a clear message as to how employees are treated in a lean job market favoring the Companies not the employees.

Hope you are able to resolve this without it dragging on and on.

We are here, so vent away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down