Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole?

4 posters

Go down

Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? Empty Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:30 pm

http://mollysmiddleamerica.blogspot.com/2011/07/why-so-many-on-government-dole.html?spref=tw

Why are so many people getting Social Security. Medicare, unemployment benefits, food stamps, and all of the rest? 1 in 6?
An article in CNN Money today claims that the Debt ceiling impasse imperils safety net .
Well, yeah, the debt hysteria in Washington, brought to us by our Republican legislators and their Tea Party friends, certainly does imperil the social safety net in more than one way:

First of all, if the debt ceiling isn't raised, it's unclear which of the many government benefits will be able to be paid and which ones won't.
Secondly, if a deal is worked out, it's unclear how much of the social safety net will be left. It appears that the rabid Tea Party wants to extract many pounds of flesh from the American people.

A decent strong social safety net is an essential component of a First Class country.

To me, the social safety net is one of the things that makes us a civilized first class country, unlike a place like Somalia with no government, no taxes, and no food. Seems are current crop of Teabag people should love Somalia. They could exercise their "personal responsibility" on the "food" part.

Back to top Go down

Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? Empty Re: Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole?

Post by lendmeflight2 Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:32 pm

It's actually such a ridiculous side to take. The tea party wants to not help anyone or give anyone anything because they don't want to pay taxes. In reality taxes, for everyone, are way too low. Americans hardly pay anything in taxes and we really get nothing for it. When people tell me they are taxed enough I laugh.

So the debt ceiling is going from 12 trillion to 14 trillion? What difference does that make? Once you get that high what's the difference having 2 trillion more?

This country has lost it's mind.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole? Empty Re: Molly's Middle America - Why So Many On The Government Dole?

Post by TR11005 Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:56 pm

The debt is never going to be paid for.

Years ago people could not understand what one trillion was or even a billion. Think of it is Funny money. Nobody has taken money with it when they die. MAD

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:36 am

I have been hearing the deficit my entire life. All of a sudden now a republican wants to balance the budget when we have a black president. No republican has had a balanced budget since Eisenhower. This is what we get when they elect Billy Bob, the owner of the hardware store in nowheresville Iowa.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by MiddleMolly Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi guys... and thanks for posting part of my article!

I am a member here but I haven't posted very much.

I wrote the above article as a reply to a reply to an article at CNN on the debt ceiling and the social safety net.

The person to whom I replied wrote:

"No wonder the country is going broke. Practically the entire country is on the government dole. How did it get to this point?"

I don't know if the person meant this comment as it sounded, but I felt he was blaming people for being on the "government dole".

My reply to him wasn't quoted above. In part, I wrote:

" Let's look at unemployment and underemployment first of all. We've got about 29 million people unemployed or underemployed.. and that only includes those who want work. Do you really think that anyone enjoys trying live on $300 bucks a week? ... (I should also mention that only about 7 million people now are receiving and/or eligible for unemployment insurance compensation. That means that we have at least 22 million who are unemployed or underemployed who aren't getting a dime.)

Then look at the corporations who pay their workers so poorly and give them so few hours of work that even "full-time" workers (34 hours/week) qualify for food stamps or some kind of housing assistance. Isn't that a kind of corporate welfare? "

Anyway, there is more at the link.

The best way to deal with the debt, of course, is to get people working and paying taxes. And our taxes are too low if we want to be a first-class country. We only collected 15% of our GDP in tax revenues last year. During the Clinton years, we were close to 20%.

Perhaps huge tax jumps would be a drag on the economy (though I'm not even sure about that), but everybody paying a bit more, and the rich people paying a bit more than that, will not kill jobs.

I'm so tired of the "job creator" mythology that the right has started and actually has so many people believing in. We are all the "job creators", and we have no or little money to spend, so that's why no jobs are being created.

It doesn't take rocket science to figure that one out.

MiddleMolly

http://mollysmiddleamerica.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:55 pm

MiddleMolly wrote:
I'm so tired of the "job creator" mythology that the right has started and actually has so many people believing in. We are all the "job creators", and we have no or little money to spend, so that's why no jobs are being created.

It doesn't take rocket science to figure that one out.

I'm ALSO tired of the "SHARED" Sacrifice BS too. They haven't sacrificed one thing, EXCEPT us. They have roofs over their head, food in their bellies and BLOATED wallets OF OUR MONEY all the while standing up their on the HOLY mountain preaching their hypocrite tripe.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down