Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work

4 posters

Go down

So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work Empty So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work

Post by Guest Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:04 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/eveningnews/main3420.shtml

What a news story for the unemployed. First, he admits that he and his family depend on the illegal worker to help them bring in the crops so that they don't lose money. But, now the new law is to restrictive, and he can't find labor. I don't know where this exact location is in GA, I could look it up, but how about bringing a bus into an area where the unemployed gather to find work, take them out to the crops, so that they don't have to spend gas money, give them sandwiches and ice tea. The entire thing left so many things out that this farmer could be doing to hire Americans, $12/hr also seems like that probably isn't true for the illegals he has hired over the years. Sort of really looks bad for the out of work when they show this kind of thing.

Back to top Go down

So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work Empty Re: So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work

Post by Feyth Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:54 am

Saw this last night and actually woke up thinking about it, really sticks in my craw. (Actually, the way CBS covers unemployment has been ticking me off for some time now, starting with the 99'er coverage last year and their "oh, it's so sad, but oh well, nothing the government can do about it" attitude.)

I agree with the OP. What struck me about the piece is the assumption that the working conditions are acceptable. Since farm labor is undeniably physically demanding, especially in summer heart, for pete's sake, why not offer 4-hour shifts, instead of 8-hour?? If you can't find enough workers at $12/hour and therefore you're losing $10,000 each day due to spoilt fruit, wouldn't it make sense to do (and to pay) whatever it takes to get workers out there?

Also read another article yesterday from some employer whining about how there aren't enough skilled workers out there for his company:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43590587/ns/business-personal_finance/

"I honestly think there's a large swath of unemployable," says the whiner.

Again, if it's so hard to find workers, and you're losing money because of it, wouldn't it make sense to fund an education/training program?

More and more, I am coming to the conclusion that the focus of the Giant Propaganda Machine is to convince Americans that, not only there is nothing to be done about the millions of Americans who lost jobs during the Great Recession, but that we somehow deserve to be disgarded.

And this propaganda persists despite astoundingly obvious solutions to this national crisis.

Feyth

Back to top Go down

So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work Empty Re: So, he's paying $12/hr to illegals, says Americans won't take work

Post by Sad American Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:12 pm

You know he is lying!
When I picked potatoes in Maine and apples in New York, we were paid by the barrel and bushel NOT by the hour...
The faster you worked, the more you made.

Sad American
Sad American

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Legitimized SLAVERY. It's ALL they want and the Government and Media is GLAD to HELP them with that legitimization.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by jchapman Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Who does that fella think he's fooling? It's just an excuse to complain about having to adide by they laws like anybody else for a change.

jchapman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down