Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores

2 posters

Go down

In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores Empty In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores

Post by Guest Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:31 am

In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores Hackne11

Under a new budget proposal from State Sen. Bruce Casswell, children in the state’s foster care system would be allowed to purchase clothing only in used clothing stores.

Casswell, a Republican representing Branch, Hillsdale, Lenawee and St. Joseph counties, made the proposal this week, reports Michigan Public Radio.

His explanation?

“I never had anything new,” Caswell says. “I got all the hand-me-downs. And my dad, he did a lot of shopping at the Salvation Army, and his comment was — and quite frankly it’s true — once you’re out of the store and you walk down the street, nobody knows where you bought your clothes.”

http://michiganmessenger.com/48487/foster-children-would-be-allowed-to-get-clothing-only-from-second-hand-stores

Back to top Go down

In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores Empty Re: In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores

Post by Guest Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:35 am

So, they have no idea how much this would save. I have nothing against most used clothing, but finding all needed items could be a stretch. What are they going to say to these foster kids? Sorry kid, there aren't any of the item you need at the second hand store so you'll have to do without until there is?

"Casswell says the plan will save the state money, though it isn’t clear how much the state spends on clothing for foster children or how much could be saved this way."

Back to top Go down

In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores Empty Re: In Michigan, Foster children would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores

Post by mrmarti Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:15 pm

JaneWI wrote:So, they have no idea how much this would save. I have nothing against most used clothing, but finding all needed items could be a stretch. What are they going to say to these foster kids? Sorry kid, there aren't any of the item you need at the second hand store so you'll have to do without until there is?

"Casswell says the plan will save the state money, though it isn’t clear how much the state spends on clothing for foster children or how much could be saved this way."

And this will really build up a foster child's self-esteem - a lot of them feel worthless as it is now. And now they will get the message - you're only a 2nd rate citizen and do not deserve anything new. I believe that all politicians that agree to this should be required to buy their clothes 2nd hand. I don't have anything against used clothes, believe me my kids grew up with tag sale and church rummage sales - I always try to instill the message that it doesn't matter what you wear as long as its clean.
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:52 pm

mrmarti wrote:And this will really build up a foster child's self-esteem - a lot of them feel worthless as it is now. And now they will get the message - you're only a 2nd rate citizen and do not deserve anything new. I believe that all politicians that agree to this should be required to buy their clothes 2nd hand. I don't have anything against used clothes, believe me my kids grew up with tag sale and church rummage sales - I always try to instill the message that it doesn't matter what you wear as long as its clean.

There are certain items that I won't buy used such as undergarments. For me there is a huge "ewwww" factor involved. What happens if they can't find what the child needs at a second hand store? Do they buy something that doesn't fit and force them to wear it?

Back to top Go down

Post by LeannaAndPerry Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:28 pm

I don't much ever reply but sometimes I do. Here goes.

My aunt has been a foster parent in Oklahoma for about 23 years. Just in the first ten years she had over 50 children in her home. Each child upon entering a foster home comes with a 250.00 voucher for clothing from some local retailers in her city. Like walmart, Target, etc. They also get a voucher that is used for School supplies twice a year. She receives vouchers for Diapers, milk, baby supplies that wouldn't otherwise be covered by clothing vouchers. She would get a voucher for each child to get two pairs of shoes right off the bat. She said because the wait she has til she gets her foster parent supplement is usually about one month.

However, as a rule of thumb for the system where she lives, they don't send anything with the children when they leave accept one fav. toy and the clothing they have on the day they leave unless they are being placed in a new foster home (which was rare) and then they take only their clothes.

She also received 250.00 per child cash allowance for Christmas presents, a voucher for each child a new coat at the onset of winter. And as needed. She would receive a small food allowance on a (Now called ) Snap card per child. But each month was reloaded with the proper amount while they were in her care. She received about 1200 per month cash for each child while they were in her home. And at any given time she had three or more foster children.

Now, I raised my two girls on her clothing that was bought for her foster children. And her son had 13 kids, and he raised his children on her clothing too. And she told me that at any given time her attic was packed full of big boxes age appropriate clothing. It was a blessing in disguise for me and my girls.... but it's overspending. They could have been reusing many of those things. Everything she gave me was always like brand new. Even shoes.

Oh, and I didn't mention, they (DHS) always showed up on special holidays with vehicles full of stuff.

She once told me even her children never got as much as foster children. She adopted four of those children. She raised the first three and adopted another one. He is now 14 and she is 58. All of which had disabilities. She is a great woman! But they did over do it if you ask me. And those dollar figures was from a conversation we had about 10 years ago. I'm sure things have changed.

LeannaAndPerry
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down