Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed

+4
Jobless_in_Ma
CLO
lendmeflight2
08pacollegegrad
8 posters

Go down

Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed Empty Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed

Post by 08pacollegegrad Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:50 pm

I barely felt like posting here about my latest failure; I'm just so embarrassed to do so.

Two weeks ago, I started my new part time job. Mabe it wasn't my dream job or a perfect fit, but I was still eager to be working and getting some money to help pay my bills. I was also still getting partial unemployment. My life seemed to be getting back on track.

Then yesterday, it got ripped out from under me again. I was fired after only eight days of work, not even consecutive days. I was let go after clocking out.

The reason my manager gave for firing me was the fact that the environment was "too fast paced" for me and that I seemed "overwhelmed" and "wouldn't be able to keep up". I mean, I hadn't even worked two weeks. My first week, I worked two days and had off for four days. I had a day of training at a new location for our business and worked four days at that location. I was off this past Sunday and worked yesterday, which is when I was fired.

To make matters worse, I just got off the phone with PA unemployment. The rep there sympathized with me and felt I was not given a fair chance on the job, and he seemed annoyed with how employers want instant gratification/perfection from new employees right away. However, they are cutting off my unemployment again to make sure they can keep paying me. This could take 2-6 weeks.

I don't know what to do at this point. My mom is like don't worry about your future and take the time to make sure you are taking the right job. She tries to help, but I still think she is out of touch at times.

My dad is not much better. All he tells me is "You need to work full time." Thanks for telling me something I already knew...

I admit I did have a very bad on Friday, and I got upset because one thing after another kept going wrong. But that was one bad day.

My manager also told me I would get a letter of reference if needed because I was always on time and dressed appropriately. So I think with that, that should be enough to keep my unemployment.

I am just so embarrassed about how I only got eight days on this job and apparently couldn't "hack it" or whatever you want to say. However, one girl I worked with was constantly late and another always seemed unhappy/had an attitude problem, and they are able to keep their jobs.

I am going to be furious if I am denied unemployment.

08pacollegegrad

Back to top Go down

Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed Empty Re: Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:19 pm

You won't be denied unemployment. It doesn't sound like there was any misconduct or work place violations. You were let go because, in their eyes, you were "not qualified" for the job. This happens all the time. Employers are at an advantage with such a large market to choose from.

There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Keep searching, this is probably for the best.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed Empty Re: Let go yesterday and feeling ashamed

Post by lendmeflight2 Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:21 pm

You shouldn't be denied unemployment because you were never off unemployment right? When you file your cert this week you answer the did you work question with "no", then you should get your full benefit.

I hate that this happened to you. You had mentioned that you didn't feel like you fit in and I am guess that they just didn't "like" you for some reason. It isn't your problem it is theirs. Try to hang in there.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by 08pacollegegrad Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Right. I was never off unemployment. I had reported my new job to the PA office and was claiming my earnings, so it's not like they never knew about it.

However, the guy on the other end (who sounded like he was stoned or disinterested or just really old) said they are still cutting off my benefits until they determine I can still receive them. I am assuming they have to send this form to my employer.

I really hope the employer doesn't try to fight anything. I don't think I was even there long enough for them to argue anything, but with the way employers want to appeal unemployment these days, lord only knows...

I would like to take some time off from job searching and just do some self-assessment to figure out what I really should be doing, but at the same time, it seems like there is no time to do so.

08pacollegegrad

Back to top Go down

Post by CLO Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:48 pm

I am in Iowa, but I don't think their UI rules are that much different from here.
His (or her) UI benefits WILL be suspended, pending a hearing to determine if any misconduct was involved in the discharge. I know this because it happened to me.
I got a part-time job in Jan. 2009, after being on UI for six months. What started out to be a 30 hr. a week job soon turned into 6 hrs. a week in a GOOD week. This was for a new small business delivering restaurant meals to persons ordering meals on our website.
The business didn't do nearly as well as the owner thought it would. She soon got really stressed and owly(IMO). I was still reporting every week on my 1st tier of Fed. benefits. I had a family emergency on the Sat. before St. Patrick's day, and called her with about 5 hours notice that I wouldn't be able to go in for my regular shift( which amounted to 3 hours, opening and closing the office, only person there besides one driver for deliveries). She was really upset, I think she had already started drinking and "celebrating". When I went in for my next shift on Monday, my name was scratched off the schedule and my time card was gone. She fired me, and when I reported that I had not worked any hours that week, I received notice that my benefits would be stopped pending a hearing on my discharge from that employer.
I won the hearing, as that was the only instance of an absence in the 3 months I worked for her. Then I received my missing weeks while I waited for the phone interview. I am positive you will be re-instated, just sucks that you have to do without while you go through that procedure. HANG in there!
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a job since, and I don't use her as areference, since I only worked there for 3 months...

CLO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:07 pm

It really depends on what the employer puts down for reason for termination. "Not qualified" would not be a reason to deny or delay unemployment. Hopefully in this case, her employer will be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:12 pm

08pacollegegrad wrote:Right. I was never off unemployment. I had reported my new job to the PA office and was claiming my earnings, so it's not like they never knew about it.

However, the guy on the other end (who sounded like he was stoned or disinterested or just really old) said they are still cutting off my benefits until they determine I can still receive them. I am assuming they have to send this form to my employer.

I really hope the employer doesn't try to fight anything. I don't think I was even there long enough for them to argue anything, but with the way employers want to appeal unemployment these days, lord only knows...

I would like to take some time off from job searching and just do some self-assessment to figure out what I really should be doing, but at the same time, it seems like there is no time to do so.

Unfortunately, if you are collecting unemployment insurance you cannot take "time off" from your job search. You have to be actively seeking and available for work. Are there any programs through your state's unemployment division that offer job and skills assessments or re-training?

Also, I don't know what stage you are at with your unemployment benefits, but note that PA is no longer eligible for Tier 4 (6 weeks) and in few weeks, Pennsylvania's EB program will end also. Time goes by fast, I had all 99 weeks, and that ended a year ago. I am still no closer to finding a job than I was the day my position was eliminated a little over 3 years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:24 pm

PAggrad Im sorry to hear that. Unfortunately in these times they can let you go and have someone else tomorrow. You will not be denied unemployment. There may be a delay while they verify with the company you worked for. Sounds like they wont contest your unemployment.

Hang in there.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by suri Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm with above posters that all will turn out on unemp reinstated. I have a son who had similar experience so tell Mom and Dad: crap Happens! Alot these days.

It's so difficult to not take personally and not lose our sense of humor but it truly IS probably more about the company than you. I myself am just recently back in job force market so know first=hand how brutal it is. I have said and continue to believe 'this cannot stand'. It just seems like the last two years have been forever for all of us. Try to go forward, rethink recent trial, and find that new beginning we are looking for!

suri

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:29 pm

I am so sorry to hear that 08pa!! Dont let this discourage you. I hope all works out ok with the benefits.

god bless and ongoing prayers Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:53 pm

Sounds like you got the axe because they wanted someone else in that position. It's nothing to do with you, or your "not being up to speed, or something like that". Someone had a friend or family member that needed work. I also agree with others, you will get your UI again. Take it easy on yourself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Springflowers Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Sounds like they wanted a machine more then a human being.

Springflowers

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:10 pm

I was once fired from a job for working too hard!!!! This is no joke or exaggeration-I was told that it made the other workers self-conscious and unecomfortable and since they had been there longer-guess what??
I just liked staying busy, I was working circles around them and they resented it, so they cornered me in the break room and told me I needed to sit around and drink tea like they did-I had the audacity to continue to work and then this happened- Did I mention it was a government job. Oh by the way one of the things I did while there was to demolish an ANT HILL inside the carpeted inside that was hidden behind a couch that was I kid you not the size of a truck tire. They knew it was there and just hid it-How do you like that for reaping what you sow??? The lazy and stupid have finally won.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:24 am

Hi collegegrad,

Unfortunately, things like this happen all the time these days. I don't know the type of job you were in, but it was probably "too fast paced" because they now have 1 person doing the work of 5 in a lot of places! And those other 2 "coworkers" who were not let go are probably hanging on by a thread, and will probably be let go during the next round of cuts.

Things happen for a reason. Perhaps your true job, one you will be happy and thrive at, is just around the corner.
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by 08pacollegegrad Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:28 am

It was at a quick service food place in a mall. I'd say we were more of a snack stand than a restaurant, but that's the kind of job it was. It was just a stopgap job, and I felt out of place because the majority of people working there were high school kids. Go figure the kids are given tons of chances and I'm the one who's let go...

It also only paid minimum so I never should have taken the job in first place. But I wanted to work and was feeling a little desperate, so yeah. Plus I was afraid unemployment would find out that I didn't take it, even though in PA, they don't ask where you applied for jobs. I just feared they'd find out somehow.

I am scared because my benefits will be over in about four months, and there is just no sign of gainful work popping up. Pretty much all you can find where I live are dead end jobs. I have applied to numerous positions out of the area, but get no call backs from those either.

08pacollegegrad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down