Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Will I ever work again? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Will I ever work again? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Will I ever work again? EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Will I ever work again? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Will I ever work again? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Will I ever work again? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Will I ever work again? EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Will I ever work again? EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Will I ever work again? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Will I ever work again? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Will I ever work again? EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Will I ever work again? EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Will I ever work again? EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Will I ever work again? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Will I ever work again? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Will I ever work again?

+5
NY Lady
Sunrise
delko
Jobless_in_Ma
New_Wave_Princess
9 posters

Go down

Will I ever work again? Empty Will I ever work again?

Post by New_Wave_Princess Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:54 pm

I am 40 and have been unemployed since 12/2007. I apply everyday, mostly to receive rejections or no response at all. I have experience in a few fields, have a masters, experience in many software programs, even speak Spanish! Yet all too often I am bypassed for even an interview. On the rare times I get an interview I am often asked discrimination questions such as am I a mother or plan to be or even my ethnicity (I can pass and often have as either Mexican or Native American). It's gotten to the point that when I get an interview I know I won't get it. I just want to have any job, even a minimum wage job! Yet I even get rejected for those.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Will I ever work again? Empty Re: Will I ever work again?

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Its pure discrimination that going on. There is a bill thats been introduced
HR 1113 Fair Employment Act of 2011 that would attempt to put an end to the types of discrimination thats going on, but we all know theres ways around that.

Companies aren't going to flat out admit they're discriminating.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:02 pm

But they do in subtle ways, which makes it worse. I know two ways I have been discriminated against are being a woman and being 40. Places would rather hire a recent 22 year old grad than me and it's upsetting. Worse, I know it's because of the gap in working which I can't help.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:43 pm

About a year ago I was turned down for a job at Dunkin Donuts because I am a mother. I had 6 yrs experience as a shift supervisor at a well known local donut shop among other qualifications but they flat out told me that because I am a mom, there may be times when I have to miss a shift or will be late because of the kids. I never stepped foot in there again. I wont give them my business and neither will my family.

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:About a year ago I was turned down for a job at Dunkin Donuts because I am a mother. I had 6 yrs experience as a shift supervisor at a well known local donut shop among other qualifications but they flat out told me that because I am a mom, there may be times when I have to miss a shift or will be late because of the kids. I never stepped foot in there again. I wont give them my business and neither will my family.

Did you report that to their corporate? I would. I am not surprised though about that. I've had so many people ask if I plan to have kids and it sickens me. I don't know if I'll have kids, but even if I do I won't have any without an equally involved spouse. Otherwise I won't. I don't get why they care if it doesn't affect one's job.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by delko Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Oh yes, but they keep saying we are in a 'Recovery'. I will be out of work a full year next week, 3/31. I am finally at the 'acceptance' point of this miserable experience. That this is what life if about now. While certainly not 'normal' by any means to be 40 and walk around aimlessly everyday, its seems thats whats in store for me.

delko

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:06 pm

This is what I deal with in my personal life too: My parents are telling me that because I haven't worked that I should take any job, including McDonalds. When I explain that recent college grads are getting jobs I apply for I am told "that "it makes sense for companies to do that so they can train". I can be trained, I would even work for free. Yet they bypass me for some snot nosed recent grad who barely graduated college.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:16 pm

In my area McDonalds had a hiring freeze. My uncle is a manager of McDonalds and he said they were told they would only be hiring from within. he said that if they needed help, they are to split the hours with the existing employees. They are still taking applications but its just for show. This was about 6 months ago when he told me.

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:19 pm

I applied at the one near me and told me they weren't hiring. I've applied at all the retail and fast food chains and all rejected me. People don't get it, these places don't want professionals they want high school or college kids or those who want a part time job (retirees, stay at home parents, etc).

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:About a year ago I was turned down for a job at Dunkin Donuts because I am a mother. I had 6 yrs experience as a shift supervisor at a well known local donut shop among other qualifications but they flat out told me that because I am a mom, there may be times when I have to miss a shift or will be late because of the kids. I never stepped foot in there again. I wont give them my business and neither will my family.

Isn't that discrimination - only women can have children.

Sunrise
Sunrise

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:05 pm

That is definite discrimination and discrimination against women is on the rise along with all discrimination. I have three strikes against me: I am a woman, I am 40, and I've been unemployed three years. Why hire me when they can hire a male?

I'm actually considering finding a guy who wants a stay at home wife. I never wanted to do that, but if I never work again, why not at least find someone to support me? I am sickened it's come to this but I don't know what else to do. I can't go back to school nor can I afford it.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by NY Lady Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 pm

About 15 years ago when I couldn't get a job anywhere because I had experience, I finally got a job at Dunkin Donuts - by lying..not something I do, but I told them I had been a stay at home mom for 16 years and I wanted to get back to work...left all my experience off the application. - and was hired.

NY Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:04 pm

New_Wave_Princess wrote:That is definite discrimination and discrimination against women is on the rise along with all discrimination. I have three strikes against me: I am a woman, I am 40, and I've been unemployed three years. Why hire me when they can hire a male?

I'm actually considering finding a guy who wants a stay at home wife. I never wanted to do that, but if I never work again, why not at least find someone to support me? I am sickened it's come to this but I don't know what else to do. I can't go back to school nor can I afford it.

Hopefully, now that employer discrimination is starting to get attention we will see things starting to change in our favor. I know businesses will probably just try to find a better way to hide the discrimination but hey, maybe some will see the light. (maybe)

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

I hear ya, gals...I just turned 55 today, and know all too well how little my skills and and experience are valued in the workforce these days. I was out of work for 1-1/2 years, then finally got a temp job for about five months. Laid back off again now and getting back on the old rejection roulette wheel you're all on. But hey, I proved the rule wrong once...I can do it again. So can you. No, it's not fair...but what's the alternative?

Good luck. Will I ever work again? 240840
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by lizalphonso Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:33 am

Happy birthday Joan! Hope its a great day for you, you have a great attitude.

lizalphonso

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks liza...I dunno about the attidude, though. And my birthday was crappy...I found out that I didn't get the job I really had high hopes for, the restaurant we went out to was horrible (we started to walk out and they talked us into staying and then gave us terrible sevice anyway), and I came down with that bad bug everyone has. Oh, I almost forgot--there were tornados and hailstorms too. hahahahahaha

This is funny today because, as Carol Burnett said, "Comedy is tragedy plus time."
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:05 pm

That is a question I ask myself everyday, will I ever work again? I hope too and will no--and I'm sorry I didn't think of this previously--was use my brothers construction company to fill the two year gap, I'll have to talk to him, that all he has to say is that I did odd jobs for his company,he's hurting too, he had to work for someone else recently because the jobs weren't coming in.

But yeah I need an answer to that question and the answer has to be yes.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:27 pm

New_Wave_Princess wrote:It's gotten to the point that when I get an interview I know I won't get it. I just want to have any job, even a minimum wage job! Yet I even get rejected for those.

NWP I feel your pain and I know that I need to take this advice myself but as hard as it is AND IT IS you cant go to an interview with a negative defeated attitude. I know b/c when I did have an interview I found it difficult to muster up the energy & enthusiasm when I strongly feel that the odds are against me. Your experience sounds impressive but age and unemployment are real not imaginary barriers. I've been out of work since Sept. 2008 and while I had a few interviews last year, this year has been a total bust. These days I dont get calls and only a few email rejections.

I've even downplayed my experience and education in the hopes that I can get a lower paying job just to bring in some money and get back into working mode. I am forgetting what its like to be a responsible person. Last night I applied for internships so some college kid wont get a break and this middle aged lady can brush up on my deteriorating work skills.

I used to ask when will this end now I say will it ever end. I'm not so sure when I hear dire reports about permanent high unemployment.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:26 am

nfpexec wrote:
New_Wave_Princess wrote:It's gotten to the point that when I get an interview I know I won't get it. I just want to have any job, even a minimum wage job! Yet I even get rejected for those.

NWP I feel your pain and I know that I need to take this advice myself but as hard as it is AND IT IS you cant go to an interview with a negative defeated attitude. I know b/c when I did have an interview I found it difficult to muster up the energy & enthusiasm when I strongly feel that the odds are against me. Your experience sounds impressive but age and unemployment are real not imaginary barriers. I've been out of work since Sept. 2008 and while I had a few interviews last year, this year has been a total bust. These days I dont get calls and only a few email rejections.

I've even downplayed my experience and education in the hopes that I can get a lower paying job just to bring in some money and get back into working mode. I am forgetting what its like to be a responsible person. Last night I applied for internships so some college kid wont get a break and this middle aged lady can brush up on my deteriorating work skills.

I used to ask when will this end now I say will it ever end. I'm not so sure when I hear dire reports about permanent high unemployment.

You're right on not going to an interview in a negative frame of mind. Its hard and I try to muster the strength to even go, let alone with a defeatist attitude. Its like ok go to the interview but don't expect to get the job, answer the questions but you're not going to get it, that is what I have to combat everytime I'm blessed with an opportunity to even have an interview.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down