Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox

+11
ca
mrmarti
lendmeflight2
Ron S
mj33
gettheminNOVEMBER
ExhaustedinCA
exhaustedandtired/1208
Jobless_in_Ma
Angelicrisis
"G"
15 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 Empty Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox

Post by "G" Sun May 22, 2011 4:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

The President & Co-Founder of the American 99ers Union will be a guest on Fox Business on Tuesday, 5/24 to discuss the merits of extending unemployment insurance in America. Details to follow.

"G"

Back to top Go down

Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 Empty Re: Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox

Post by Ron S Mon May 23, 2011 5:31 pm

I would generally concur that the media may be a means that strategically can help to bolster a constituent assault on congress to move forward with legislation on behalf of the unemployed. However, I would qualify that view with a caveat, that tactically, because this situation is so extremely polarized, any given media opportunity to promote this issue is potentially vulnerable to hurting rather helping this cause. Specifically, it can actually serve to boomerang by undermining an intended positive effect by enhancing a negative perception toward the contingent of unemployed. In this particular instance, Fox News being a right wing news organization, and for Mr. Rosen to appear on that network will be akin to going into the “lion’s den”. The Fox News commentator’s agenda is already skewed against the agenda that Mr. Rosen represents. Fox News will likely serve to play devil’s advocate against Mr. Rosen and the unemployed seeking further government assistance. Their questions to Mr. Rosen are likely to be designed to box him into a corner by denigrating him either on the issues or casting a negative light on him personally or both, perhaps as a prosecutor’s cross examination of a hostile witness in court tends to go.

Certainly going on Fox News is an enticing media opportunity in the sense that it potentially enables wider exposure for the issue at hand, however, given that Fox News is part of the right wing establishment they are likely only affording Mr. Rosen their lime light to attempt to further cast a negative pall over extending any further help to the long term unemployed affected by this crisis.

As a matter of routine, when either the President or Congressman subject themselves to media questioning and discussion, the media questions are usually submitted ahead of time so that responses can be prepared to create a positive perception to their audience. I don’t know if Mr. Rosen is being afforded that same consideration, If not, Fox News can serve up almost any type of question his way and attempt to catch him off guard and thereby diminish his credibility if he isn’t prepared to really give an answer. I have observed Mr. Rosen on Fox previously and in my assessment this to some extent is what has occurred. However, I will give Mr. Rosen the credit he deserves, as he tends to be fairly politically astute and diplomatic in his public presentations, having both the appearance of previous education and work experience that give him a basis for being a symbol on behalf of the long term unemployed. So, hopefully this Fox media event will not out “fox” Mr. Rosen and in some way serve to motivate congress to help their unemployed constituents.

Ron S
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 Empty Re: Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Mon May 23, 2011 6:12 pm

G has been there before and is a very well spoken. Might be the ONLY time I watch fox news.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 6:19 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:G has been there before and is a very well spoken. Might be the ONLY time I watch fox news.

I think Fox viewers were stunned by Mr. Payne's solution to unemployment - resort to cannibalism. G has always done very well on Fox Business and has always been able to come back with intelligent and factual answers to any questions asked by Payne or Varney. I don't remember how he reacted to the cannibal comment, I was taken off guard by it and didn't catch G's comments after.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 7:06 pm

He did do great at the first interview. He is a great spokesperson. He did not let the interviewer him throw him off topic. I cant wait to see this second interview. It will be interesting to see if the interviewers views about unemployment have changed at all since then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:He did do great at the first interview. He is a great spokesperson. He did not let the interviewer him throw him off topic. I cant wait to see this second interview. It will be interesting to see if the interviewers views about unemployment have changed at all since then.

I think this may be the 4th one on Fox. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 8:49 pm

oopsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 8:51 pm

my head is so full of air today LOL Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 4017630560

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron S Mon May 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Pursuant to my previous post, the point that I was attempting to make was not to infer that Mr. Rosen isn’t up to the task in terms of his cognitive abilities and media skills, as I stated in the previous post, he seemingly has the political sensitivity and diplomacy to adequately carry the mail on behalf of the nation of long term unemployed constituents. The distinction I was making was in response to other member’s comments that were at variance with whether or not actually going to the media was always an effective tool to promote this agenda, rather than let it lie exclusively in the congressional chambers. In my view, any and all media opportunities just cannot be taken for granted as situations that will have positive effects in helping to promote this agenda. Figuratively speaking, throwing mud up against the wall to see what sticks can be a dangerous and ignorant approach. Marketing products and ideas effectively are a very sophisticated and intricate business and so it goes with commercials promoting such, some are very successful, but most are not.

Specific cases on point, over the last few months, I do believe some previous media opportunities were not handled as well as they could have been. For instance, a CNN piece on Mr. Rosen took the viewers into his private residence. The problem with this is that Mr. Rosen is not a “postal child” for the mass of so-called 99ers who are devastated with their basic needs in jeopardy. As the CNN piece clearly depicted, Mr. Rosen is seemingly still living well in a very niece house in an upper middle class neighborhood in an affluent suburb of Philadelphia. The bottom line with garnering support for the 99er agenda is to evoke sympathy based on the massive hardships people are enduring who have been rendered jobless by this economic crisis. In my view, an outside observer to this CNN piece, who may even be employed, looks at how well Mr. Rosen is living and how well educated he seemingly is portrayed, probably tunes out immediately thinking this individual is advocating for more unemployment benefits but he appears to be doing and living as well or perhaps better than I am. In that piece CNN made a point, amplifying how well Mr. Rosen appeared to be living at the outset, which to my mind rendered the remainder of the segment ineffective toward promoting the 99er agenda; it really just undermined the intended message that the American 99er’s Union was promoting.

Moreover, one of the interviews I viewed on Fox News, had Mr. Rosen on the hot seat and I do recall one of the interviewers turning the discussion on Mr. Rosen personally, launching an “ad hominem” attack against him, which becomes a problem because valuable air time is lost by getting off the issues and steering the discussion into a personal vein. I thought to myself, this is an inherent problem when one advocates for one’s own cause. This flies in the face of an old adage by Clarence Darrell who once said a “lawyer that defends himself has fool for a client and a nincompoop for a lawyer”. This is larger problem with the unemployed advocating for more unemployment benefits. The GOP opposition doesn’t look at the unemployed as their equals nor do they likely hold any real respect on a human level as evidenced by their words and actions regarding this issue. Therefore, the effect that the unemployed are going to have is likely negligible, (only perhaps in their numbers), in terms of getting the GOP’s attention to genuinely address the jobless crisis in this country. At least with the democrats/CBC advocating for the jobless, the GOP can identify with them to some degree, having a modicum of mutual respect, since they seemingly are on the same social plateau or at least doing the same job. With the CBC advocating for the unemployed it takes on the flavor of an attorney/client relationship, which should be more effective from the GOP’s perspective since they are so into their legal maneuvering.

There is one last media situation that I recall from earlier this year that doesn’t involve Mr. Rosen directly. It occurred on the MSNBC ED Show that is a further example of a potential positive opportunity that didn’t really pan out. I suspect Mr. Rosen might have been involved on a consulting basis as this interview involved a 99er who attended the HR 589 coming out Washington media event with the CBC contingent back in early February of this year. In that interview the 99er divulged that she was a recipient of both a partial pension and drawing social security benefits. This took up a good portion of the interview and really deflated the whole intent of discussing the need for an expansion of unemployment benefits. There was absolutely no need to even bring these points up during a five minute interview. How can one expect to evoke any sympathy from employed viewers of this show if the interviewee is going out of the way to divulge that other sources of income are available to her? Moreover, this was a show with a moderator who is actually an established proponent of the 99er issue making it seemingly easier to use this opportunity to advocate for the unemployment benefit expansion cause.

Ron S
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon May 23, 2011 10:01 pm

I agree with the premise of your post even though I think tv coverage helps more than it hurts. I am very conscious of how I am portrayed as an unemployed person when I am questioned by people. The average person still thinks of us a a group of people who don't want to take a pay cut to work and that CNN piece made it look like we are all living better than most people that we want to help us.

The flipside to that is it isn't fair or right that we should have to be absolutely destitute to deserve help.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Mon May 23, 2011 10:06 pm

anyone know what time he will be on
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Mon May 23, 2011 10:20 pm

mrmarti wrote:anyone know what time he will be on

DespinRi thinks its 9am?
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 10:38 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:
mrmarti wrote:anyone know what time he will be on

DespinRi thinks its 9am?

That's the time Stuart Varney starts. It is the Fox Business Channel - not Fox News. The News channel usually has a lead in to what Varney will be talking around 8:30.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 11:11 pm

Ron,

We do need the media attention. We need to bring their attention to the unemployed who are not as fortunate as us. The unemployed who are homeless, families living in their cars, the children who are starving. They cannot speak out. They have nothing, never mind the internet access to speak up for themselves. We have to do that. They need to be directed to the families who have been thrown out of shelters because winter is over. In my state alone there are 1,400 people who were forced out of shelters and into the streets not long ago because the good weather is here.

There are millions who are living in poverty due to this crisis. This has to be exposed and we are the ones who have to point them in the right direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 7:57 am

Sorry, my computer is not liking the thunder and lightening.

The balance of my post:

People who have worked 30+ years for one or two employers are not unemployable, we are in our 50's and are considered an "expensive insure", because our legislators don't have the gumption to address the insurance companies. Anyone who has worked that long with an unblemished record, from janitor to upper level management, deserves to interview for a job that pays a living wage. Just because unemployment rules state you must accept a full time job if offered, doesn't mean you can live on that job. People don't accept those jobs because they are beneath them, they don't accept them 90% of the time because they can't give up their insurance, knowing the wages they will be paid won't cover that insurance, much less rent/mortgage, transportation, food, utilities and God forbid, a haircut, pair of shoes and some wardrobe updates to a three year old working wardrobe. Why Fox News, the Tea Party, the Republican Party and many classless uncaring bloggers can't do that simple math is beyond me.

The target retail market for clothing, electronics , fast food, barista coffee shops and specialty stores is and has been 18-30 year olds. 56 year old men and women are not who you want selling or running your stores, you will not get the crowds in. That's good business. Unfortunately, they are the areas hiring in large part right now. Jobs previously held by those of us in our late 40's,50's and 60's are not on the come back right now. Can we do these jobs, sure, some probably
could do them blindfolded, but they are not our areas of expertise and in all honesty, should go to recent graduates, giving them the opportunties we had at that age to gain the experience needed to move on and up. Our problem is that no "living wage" jobs are being created, small and new businesses are not confident enough to start borrowing, building and growing. That is what is needed to get this economy going and get the millions back to work at those "living wages". If you are not earning a "living wage" you are entitled to benefits such as Section 8 Housing assistance, LiHeap, Snap, Tanf and in certain states there are others as well. How is that reducing the deficit or helping at all? Talk to people you know, they have no idea about these things, they just think people want to take, take, take.

The really annoying thing about these Fox News types and their avid fans is that they are so willing to make criminals and deadbeats out of the unemployed but think nothing close to that of those that created this mess and don't go in depth to report on their criminal behavior and those that knew it and ignored it. Hypocrites, every single one of them.

Sorry for the rant. But comparing a woman getting a small stipend from SS and unemployment benefits that supplemented her income, because she worked to supplement her income and earned those benefits and portraying her as using the system and not bringing to light the CEO's with golden parachutes, large yearly pensions and Social Security doesn't bother that crowd at all. The poorly informed Fox viewers buy in to it hook line and sinker. If they were given all the facts and more importantly, all the figures, comparing the incomes of the woman mentioned above and the CEO, I wonder how many would change their tune.

Gregg has always represented the 99ers in a very positive light and never tries to slant a story. He has always been respectful and hits them with the facts. The problem is, Fox News does not believe anyone's facts but their own.

Good luck Gregg and once again, thanks from the 99ers.

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Tue May 24, 2011 8:34 am

I agree with ron s. I also do not think taking the plight to a known concerative, and network that supports deep spending cuts, very tight budgets, and cutting vital programs is going to gather sympathy and support for unemployed , especially 99er's. After this interview the true impact will be known. I agree with ron s. Also Mr. Rosens intrrview in a lavish middle class home isn't a true image of the many hurting unemployed. Like going to a henhouse to interview a fox and the fox saying he has little to eat. Point? Are we being represented and served in the most realistic light??

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 8:57 am

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:I agree with ron s. I also do not think taking the plight to a known concerative, and network that supports deep spending cuts, very tight budgets, and cutting vital programs is going to gather sympathy and support for unemployed , especially 99er's. After this interview the true impact will be known. I agree with ron s. Also Mr. Rosens intrrview in a lavish middle class home isn't a true image of the many hurting unemployed. Like going to a henhouse to interview a fox and the fox saying he has little to eat. Point? Are we being represented and served in the most realistic light??
You should have asked him that before he started advocating for you, putting all his time and effort into trying to get just a little help for the 99ers. He represented YOU when he appeared at the press conference to introduce HR 589 in Washington with Reps. Lee and Scott.

As far as the interview in his home, that was on CNN and I'm sure that Gregg does not lead a lavish lifestyle. While he may not be homeless, he is speaking out for those that are! Those people can't do it!

So just because Fox News is ultra-conservative and biased no one should appear on the network and try to get the other side of the story through their thick heads? A lot of battles would have been lost if someone hadn't stood up to the opposition. What is there to gain by explaining this crisis to people who already understand it? NOTHING!

Just keep biting the hand that feeds you. We will get nowhere, or are you ready to give all your time and energy to start a public awareness campaign for the unemployed? If you are, you should let Gregg know, I am sure he needs all the help he can get.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 9:07 am

1208, I am going to put this into to terms I hope you understand and don't take offense to. I am ashamed of you. Why would you of all people think that all 99ers have to lie or hide their circumstances. The lies and fudging of numbers are precisely why the 99ers are being left to fend for themselves.

Gregg and many others have worked tirelessly for our cause, as well as all unemployed. In 2008 millions lost their jobs, including Gregg. While he has been able to keep his home, and you don't know the circumstances that allow that, many haven't as we know. Gregg had a good job and like many in their 40's, 50's and 60's have equity in their homes and may be able to afford to stay there for some time. That being said, Gregg, like many of us has not found full time, living wage employment and is a 99er, fighting for what should be done for us. Should he go on tv and lie? I think not. We had jobs in 2008, paid our bills and lived our lives, now our lives are being dictated to us by a selfish, class driven group of legislators and their ill-informed followers, deciding for us what we deserve, all the while doing nothing to enact legislation to create the jobs that would then reduce unemployment. Gregg just doesn't ask for benefits, he lobbies and requests job creation as well. If these very people who deny benefits to the deserving would work half as hard to create jobs as they do to reduce benefits and taxes for the wealthiest among us, maybe we would not be in this mess. Maybe if they had listened to people 5 years ago who told them it's coming, we wouldn't be in this mess.

I am sure no matter what Gregg does to earn a living and pay his bills, his life is no where near the same as it was pre-2008, but he played by the rules, worked, bought a nice home and now is advocating to help himself and us so we all don't have to pitch a tent somewhere. Anyone who is lucky enough to still be in their homes is there because they made smart choices, it doesn't mean they don't have sleepless nights worrying about bills and expenses like the rest of us.

The unemployed and the 99ers are from all incomes, it doesn't mean that we stop fighting for what is right. Americans being simply abandoned is not right, no matter what your previous income was, what your home is worth or how much money you had saved. Three years later, no job later, no benefits later, we are all in the same sinking boat. We need Jobs and until then, we need benefits to get us through.

I applaud Gregg for not hiding or lying or trying to make himself something he isn't. The lying statistics regarding the real unemployment rate and the types of jobs being created are best left to the liars and creative numbers people. We have never lied about our circumstances and we should not start. Gregg also unveils the lies about the unemployed being most uneducated, lazy and so on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 10:11 am

DesperateInRI wrote:
"G" wrote:The President & Co-Founder of the American 99ers Union will be a guest on Fox Business on Tuesday, 5/24 to discuss the merits of extending unemployment insurance in America. Details to follow.

Just a reminder that the show is today on the Fox Business Channel. "Varney & Co." starts at 9:20 a.m, EST.

Thanks, G for standing up for ALL of us!

Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 34243

Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 am

Im watching it now. did i miss it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 10:47 am

LMAO

Did anyone just see the ad they are talking about on varney? it was a democratic ad and shows someone throwing an old woman in a wheel chair over a cliff. This commentator is a piece of work...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 10:48 am

Oh boy, good luck G!! G has his work cut out for him. This guy is a royal ass.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 11:10 am

This show is really getting my blood boiling... MAD Extending Unemployment Insurance Debated on Fox - Page 2 545210

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Tue May 24, 2011 11:14 am

Can someone give me the run down? Im not able to watch it.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 11:19 am

stuart varney had the woman that made the commercial opposing Camps new ss proposal on and he was arguing about it with her. It was about a granny being thrown over a cliff in her wheel chair. He is a nut job. He dismissed her and said "interview over" because she didnt agree with him.

Poor Greg. He has a lot of guts going on this show! the segment hasnt aired yet. I dont know if I can sit here and watch the whole show because I am about to reach through the tv....EVERYTHING this guy says makes extremely irate. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 11:24 am

Sick & Tired wrote:stuart varney had the woman that made the commercial opposing Camps new ss proposal on and he was arguing about it with her. It was about a granny being thrown over a cliff in her wheel chair. He is a nut job. He dismissed her and said "interview over" because she didnt agree with him.

Poor Greg. He has a lot of guts going on this show! the segment hasnt aired yet. I dont know if I can sit here and watch the whole show because I am about to reach through the tv....EVERYTHING this guy says makes extremely irate. lol

Stuart Varney is an arrogant SOB! I want to see his birth certificate!

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnE83A1Z4U&feature=player_embedded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next