Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Another job posting that's sadly real

+4
couth11
steveninspokane
lendmeflight2
New_Wave_Princess
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 Empty Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by New_Wave_Princess Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

I bolded what bothers me.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ofc/2423625055.html

Responsibilities:

Are you interested in serving the community? Are you ready to start a challenging yet personally gratifying job in public health?

CEDA WIC is seeking full time, Spanish or Arabic speaking high school graduates (or GED) to serve as clerks for the WIC program. Duties include (but are not limited to): computer entry, filing, performing heights and weights for clients, and translating. Customer service is 100% of job.

Qualifications:

High School Diploma or GED REQUIRED.
Fluency in Spanish or Arabic REQUIRED.Breastfeeding Education a plus. All hires will complete extensive Breastfeeding training.
Ability to work independently and as a team player.
Ability to work with clients from a variety of ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Possession of a positive attitude and interest in helping others.

For traveling positions: access to reliable transportation a must.

Salary:

$9.50 per hour plus benefits.

In Illinois everyone who works for public aid is usually required to speak Spanish. That bothers me but now we are catering to Arabs who can't speak English? Ridiculous. Look at what the job entails for $9.50. That's a lot of work for that amount. Here $10 an hour is little. I actually do speak Spanish but feel it's wrong to now require everyone who works for social programs (or at least those who deal with people) to speak it. Now Arabic as well? Is only knowing English going to hurt people now too? Strangely, most of the Arabs I've met spoke English and in Arab countries English is widely spoken so this requirement is bizarre.

Another thing that bothers me is that translators can make a great salary, far above $9.50. I know because I've checked into the Spanish translator program and many translators make around $50,000 yearly.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 Empty Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by New_Wave_Princess Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Leanna that sounds terrible. They shouldn't be making people feel bad for taking welfare unless they are abusing it. I had a friend on welfare who did abuse it. Every month she would run up her phone by calling sex lines and the social worker let her have it. In that case I agree. My exfriend got kicked off welfare because she was abusing it.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Another job posting that's sadly real - Page 2 Empty Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by LeannaAndPerry Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Unfortunately there are a lot of people abusing the TANF program. And many others. It angers me to no degree. But it is what it is.

I don't think they are making people feel bad by limiting the TANF. I think it's a useful tool. At least in the past it has been. I say that meaning it keeps people off welfare and working. In the past (Before this recession) it was a beneficial program when needed and was for rehabilitation only. Not for anyone for any length of time. But for anyone needing it, for the exact amount of time as each person who applies. Now, I don't know that they have lifted any 3 month 90 day rules. And that is for a five year span.

So, with that in mind it would seem disheartening to those who lost their job and exhausted U.I and needs the T.A.N.F program for any length of time. But here in this county, it won't be happening. In fact many counties around me are the same from what Phyllis said. So I really don't know how fare into GA or AL that this extends to.

I guess I am glad my children are of age. And have been for years. Them working and living on their own, having their own families. If I had children in this day and time it would look very bleak for us.

Have a good day all, I have to get busy.

LeannaAndPerry
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Your posts are interesting Leanna. In Illinois I wish it was stricter because the amount of welfare abusers we've had was astounding. They had an article one time in the paper about the people from other states flocking to Illinois for the generous welfare. I knew people on it for years and sat around doing nothing. Then when they were supposed to get off welfare to work they would have another baby.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by PamelaJo Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:37 pm

[quote= The real root of our problem is in Washington, DC - our legislators are more of a threat for us than illegal immigrants![/quote]

I agree 100% with you about this. It's the point I was making in my post, too. The problems we are all facing are those created by lawmakers and corporations right here, within our own borders. The legislators who are elected to offices which were intended to represent constituents seem to no longer care one bit about the people.

It is no longer a nation about "We the People", but rather it has become all about "We the Power Hungry and Greedy!" "The People" are no longer being represented. Our own government is no longer upholding the dreams of those who created this once grand nation.
PamelaJo
PamelaJo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:38 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:What bothers me about this whole issue is that many are crying that "illegal immigrants" stole our jobs. When did anyone ever want these jobs? No one did, until now. So boot these poor people out and send them back to countries that have an even greater humanitarian crisis so Americans who turned their noses up at these jobs 2 or 3 years ago can step in. Sorry, even though I have been a 99er for well over a year now, this would be immoral.

I am sorry, but I disagree with your statement in that you pose the question: "when did anyone ever want these jobs? no one did, until now". (sort of a Bush'ism to me which makes me cringe). Maybe some snobby or high and mighty thinking people, but I live in California, and that is patently untrue.

We have plenty of people - high schoolers and college students, as well as the elderly that wish to continue to be productive - that reside here legally (whether or not they are from other countries) that would love those jobs...but they have been unavailable for a very long time. Longer than the recession. I remember back in the day when THAT was what you did to earn extra money and to start learning financial responsibility: work at a deli, flower shop, landscaping, a fast food restaurant, retail, etc.

But most of the owners of these businesses realized guite greedily that with illegal aliens living here, they could pay minimum or less than minimum wage, have workers put in extra hours, pay no health insurance and provide little to no other benefits and have them bow at their feet because the workers for so grateful for the standard of living for which was mostly 1000 times better than their previous sitution (and for that, I am sorry)...but employers also instill the fear of god into these by subtly implying if they didn't work by the owner's / mgmt's standards (totally unethical, immoral and even illegal), they would be let go. Employee abuse runs crazy in these establishments.

Now, many of these owners are living even better lifestyles, separating themselves from the lower classes, widening the gap, and all but pushing out the middle class in the meantime.

Live in SoCal for a little bit and you'll see what I am referring to...it's disgusting.

Last edited by Antinous on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Antinous wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:What bothers me about this whole issue is that many are crying that "illegal immigrants" stole our jobs. When did anyone ever want these jobs? No one did, until now. So boot these poor people out and send them back to countries that have an even greater humanitarian crisis so Americans who turned their noses up at these jobs 2 or 3 years ago can step in. Sorry, even though I have been a 99er for well over a year now, this would be immoral.

I am sorry, but I disagree with your statement in that you pose the question: "when did anyone ever want these jobs? no one did, until now". (sort of a Bush'ism to me which makes me cringe). Maybe some snobby or high and mighty thinking east coasters, but I live in California, and that is patently untrue.

Agree to disagree here, but name calling is not tolerated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:47 pm

God, these comments just somehow remind me of Barbara Bush's comments about how the victims of Katrina were living far better in the shelter of the stadium than they ever did under normal circustances. Shocked It's that kind of thinking that got us all into this disaster in the first place. The greed and ignorance of the politicians and top 1% of the wealthy population vs. everyone else. surprise

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:50 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
Antinous wrote:

I am sorry, but I disagree with your statement in that you pose the question: "when did anyone ever want these jobs? no one did, until now". (sort of a Bush'ism to me which makes me cringe). Maybe some snobby or high and mighty thinking people, but I live in California, and that is patently untrue.

I fail to see what you are referring to...where is the name-calling in my comment?

Last edited by Antinous on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings)

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:50 pm

Antinous, that does sound disgusting and I've heard that about California. I can't speak for anyone except what I've seen in Illinois but I've seen illegals in jobs like dishwasher (and other restaurant job except server and management), landscaping, factories, construction and fruit pickers/farm hands. Most of these jobs aren't ones I would personally want but some of them were good jobs at one point (mainly the factory and construction jobs).

The one where I've seen it personally was when I was a waitress. Restaurants I've worked at always had at least one illegal. In fact I don't think I've ever worked a restaurant without one. The restaurants were paying way below minimum wage to them, something like $1 hour when minimum wage was around $4.50. Many of these restaurants also had trailers in back for the illegals to live in (one restaurant even had apartments!). I found this repulsive because talk about abusing someone. Granted, there may have been students or whatever that wanted the dishwashing jobs, but where I lived there was a lot of upper middle class kids who didn't.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:53 pm

Antinous wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:
Antinous wrote:

I am sorry, but I disagree with your statement in that you pose the question: "when did anyone ever want these jobs? no one did, until now". (sort of a Bush'ism to me which makes me cringe). Maybe some snobby or high and mighty thinking east coasters, but I live in California, and that is patently untrue.

I fail to see what you are referring to...where is the name-calling in my comment. Sensitive much?
Highlighted in red.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:54 pm

New_Wave_Princess wrote:Antinous, that does sound disgusting and I've heard that about California. I can't speak for anyone except what I've seen in Illinois but I've seen illegals in jobs like dishwasher (and other restaurant job except server and management), landscaping, factories, construction and fruit pickers/farm hands. Most of these jobs aren't ones I would personally want but some of them were good jobs at one point (mainly the factory and construction jobs).

The one where I've seen it personally was when I was a waitress. Restaurants I've worked at always had at least one illegal. In fact I don't think I've ever worked a restaurant without one. The restaurants were paying way below minimum wage to them, something like $1 hour when minimum wage was around $4.50. Many of these restaurants also had trailers in back for the illegals to live in (one restaurant even had apartments!). I found this repulsive because talk about abusing someone. Granted, there may have been students or whatever that wanted the dishwashing jobs, but where I lived there was a lot of upper middle class kids who didn't.

Last edited by Antinous on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : off-topic and getting uncomfortably heated)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:55 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
Antinous wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:
Antinous wrote:

I fail to see what you are referring to...where is the name-calling in my comment.
Highlighted in red.

I see.

Last edited by Antinous on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Antinous wrote:
New_Wave_Princess wrote:Antinous, that does sound disgusting and I've heard that about California. I can't speak for anyone except what I've seen in Illinois but I've seen illegals in jobs like dishwasher (and other restaurant job except server and management), landscaping, factories, construction and fruit pickers/farm hands. Most of these jobs aren't ones I would personally want but some of them were good jobs at one point (mainly the factory and construction jobs).

I, too, was raised in a Upper Middle Class / Upper Class Community. I guess we were just raised by different parents who instilled a sense of work ethic.

I'm not sure what you mean since my parents always installed the idea of working hard in me. I was never a dishwasher, never aspired to it, but did jobs like fast food, waitressing, and retail. I liked waitressing actually.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:16 pm

"Granted, there may have been students or whatever that wanted the dishwashing jobs, but where I lived there was a lot of upper middle class kids who didn't."

My comment was a general comment in reply to your general comment regarding out upper middle/upper class upbring. Most parents raised their kids differently and kids thought differently.

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:19 pm

I'm just being honest, I don't know any students who wanted those jobs. Maybe there were, but I never took a survey, nor did I care because I didn't want those jobs.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:54 pm

New_Wave_Princess wrote:I'm just being honest, I don't know any students who wanted those jobs. Maybe there were, but I never took a survey, nor did I care because I didn't want those jobs.

Shocked
I don't think anyone aspires to become a dishwasher...but you take what you can get, non?

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:00 pm

I suppose but like I said I'm talking about what I saw. I did work in a restaurant so I wasn't against working hard.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2