Latest topics
» I see this board has been quiet
Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
September 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 

Calendar Calendar


Another job posting that's sadly real

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by New_Wave_Princess on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:13 pm

I bolded what bothers me.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ofc/2423625055.html

Responsibilities:

Are you interested in serving the community? Are you ready to start a challenging yet personally gratifying job in public health?

CEDA WIC is seeking full time, Spanish or Arabic speaking high school graduates (or GED) to serve as clerks for the WIC program. Duties include (but are not limited to): computer entry, filing, performing heights and weights for clients, and translating. Customer service is 100% of job.

Qualifications:

High School Diploma or GED REQUIRED.
Fluency in Spanish or Arabic REQUIRED.Breastfeeding Education a plus. All hires will complete extensive Breastfeeding training.
Ability to work independently and as a team player.
Ability to work with clients from a variety of ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Possession of a positive attitude and interest in helping others.

For traveling positions: access to reliable transportation a must.

Salary:

$9.50 per hour plus benefits.


In Illinois everyone who works for public aid is usually required to speak Spanish. That bothers me but now we are catering to Arabs who can't speak English? Ridiculous. Look at what the job entails for $9.50. That's a lot of work for that amount. Here $10 an hour is little. I actually do speak Spanish but feel it's wrong to now require everyone who works for social programs (or at least those who deal with people) to speak it. Now Arabic as well? Is only knowing English going to hurt people now too? Strangely, most of the Arabs I've met spoke English and in Arab countries English is widely spoken so this requirement is bizarre.

Another thing that bothers me is that translators can make a great salary, far above $9.50. I know because I've checked into the Spanish translator program and many translators make around $50,000 yearly.

New_Wave_Princess
Member

Posts : 378
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by lendmeflight2 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:20 pm

I have never met an Arab that didn't speak English. However, I have only really met really well off Arabs that could afford to move here and start up a company. I suppose Arabs that moved here and are on the WIC program would not have been as well educated. The other side of this coin is that if they really had a huge need for Arabic speakers AND couldn't find them then you would think they would be worth more than $9.50.

Why would I do that much work and have that much trouble when I could work at Barnes and Noble for almost the same amount?

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by steveninspokane on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:36 pm

So, they move here, can't speak our language, and then want free assistance?

So that's why they call this the "Land of the Free."

steveninspokane
Member

Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : WA State

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 pm

I don't know if I'm just numb to it, don't care or it's so disturbing on so many levels, my brain shut-down.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by New_Wave_Princess on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:21 am

Yes, many people from other countries come here just for free assistance. I've seen this often with strangely Eastern European immigrants such as Polish (I am part Polish). In Illinois it's easy to get welfare even if one is illegal.

I will admit that I've never met an Arab who didn't speak English, which is why this both stuns and saddens me. The Arabs I've known I knew from college and grad school and all were from upper class and spoke English. Btw, before this gets mentioned I will state that many of the Arabs I knew were in fact Christians. None were on welfare.

This will open the floodgates, but if the USA is getting these kinds of immigrants we need to close the borders. We can't even support the unemployed why shoud we support others?

New_Wave_Princess
Member

Posts : 378
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by couth11 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:38 am

I don't want to begrudge anyone, anything, but when I tried to apply for assistance, I was made to stand in a public area and answer questions one by one because the interviewer said my application form was an old one (I had downloaded it from their website). By the time he was done with me, I was in tears. Then I had to figure out where there was I bathroom I could hide out in until I could pull myself together.
What did I qualify for? 12-16 dollars per month in food stamps, which I think only last 3 months. And for this, I would have to sign up & attend their work program, (seminars on job readiness), which cost more in transportation money than I would have received in food stamps.


Last edited by couth11 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot something)

couth11
Member

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by couth11 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:43 am

The government could probably save a lot of money automating the whole application process and having work study students verify, collect the proof of ID,etc.

couth11
Member

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by New_Wave_Princess on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:46 am

I know people who truly needed help and got something like $25 a month in food stamps! These were people with nothing. This is a disgrace that those who need assistance go through this while others milking the system don't.

Speaking of work study this is my pet peeve. My grad school pushed foreign students in front of the line in front of American students. So basically American students got screwed out of working while people who never paid in got taxpayer money.

New_Wave_Princess
Member

Posts : 378
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:51 am

I needed to visit our local Fed Courthouse, had an interview appt. I literally could not get in the door though security because so many family members were trying to get in to watch the swearing in of their loved one become an American citizen. After my testing, interviewing session, several of us in our meeting area could not leave the building because of all the celebration in the hallway leading towards the exit doors. I do have to say that I heard no one speaking in English, but it gave me goosed bumps that they and their little kids were so damned happy to become Americans.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by PamelaJo on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:57 am

I do not want to judge anyone, or any nationality. My Great-Grandparents came to America in the early 1900's, arriving at Ellis Island where they were put through some humiliating ordeals before it was determined they could remain here. My Babcia (Polish Grandma) was able to read and write English, so was called on to assist many on her ship with their paperwork. She was so proud to be an American, even though she endured hardships in order to become a citizen of this country. I grew up hearing about all of the things that were wonderful about this country. I grew up believing that to be the case.

However, all that being said...When my ancestors came here, America truly was the "Land of Opportunity" and it really was possible to live the "American Dream." Sadly, there is little opportunity here now. The "American Dream" has become a nightmare for so many of us.

Corporate greed has done this. Many self-serving politicians have allowed it to happen. There are still some in politics who truly want to make a difference and serve the people and I am grateful for them, but it's just so hard to find them. It is also nearly impossible for their voices to be heard above all of the corruption and greed around them.

It is so very sad to say this, and harder still to accept it, but I really do believe the good times in this country are over for good. Society as we know it today is not that which was intended or desired when this nation was founded. I believe it is too late to reverse the damage. We have become so far removed from the founding ideals of our forefathers that those ideals can no longer be recaptured. That is my opinion. Again, it is all so very sad, but it is the reality we are faced with.

PamelaJo
Member

Posts : 64
Join date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:10 am

What bothers me about this whole issue is that many are crying that "illegal immigrants" stole our jobs. When did anyone ever want these jobs? No one did, until now. So boot these poor people out and send them back to countries that have an even greater humanitarian crisis so Americans who turned their noses up at these jobs 2 or 3 years ago can step in. Sorry, even though I have been a 99er for well over a year now, this would be immoral.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by Judi58 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:57 am

couth11 wrote:I don't want to begrudge anyone, anything, but when I tried to apply for assistance, I was made to stand in a public area and answer questions one by one because the interviewer said my application form was an old one (I had downloaded it from their website). By the time he was done with me, I was in tears. Then I had to figure out where there was I bathroom I could hide out in until I could pull myself together.
What did I qualify for? 12-16 dollars per month in food stamps, which I think only last 3 months. And for this, I would have to sign up & attend their work program, (seminars on job readiness), which cost more in transportation money than I would have received in food stamps.

I have to go today for food stamps... I am already crying... I hate the way they make you feel.. last time the lady told me to BUCK UP and go find a job at Mc Donalds or anywhere I could.. I lost it left and they "Punished me" and I had to wait 90 day to reapply..
I hate this so much...

Judi58
Member

Posts : 148
Join date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 pm

Judi58 wrote:
couth11 wrote:I don't want to begrudge anyone, anything, but when I tried to apply for assistance, I was made to stand in a public area and answer questions one by one because the interviewer said my application form was an old one (I had downloaded it from their website). By the time he was done with me, I was in tears. Then I had to figure out where there was I bathroom I could hide out in until I could pull myself together.
What did I qualify for? 12-16 dollars per month in food stamps, which I think only last 3 months. And for this, I would have to sign up & attend their work program, (seminars on job readiness), which cost more in transportation money than I would have received in food stamps.

I have to go today for food stamps... I am already crying... I hate the way they make you feel.. last time the lady told me to BUCK UP and go find a job at Mc Donalds or anywhere I could.. I lost it left and they "Punished me" and I had to wait 90 day to reapply..
I hate this so much...
Fortunately , the eligibility technician who handles my SNAP claim is very understanding. Most of them in that office are. The day of my scheduled interview I was in tears, but when I got there, it was all people who were in the same situation as me - unemployed and out of benefits. There are heartless social workers out there, but you may be surprised and get one who understands the economic conditions today.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by americatheneedy on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:35 pm

When the social workers get laid off because of state budgets, I hope they get the hateful ones first.

americatheneedy
Member

Posts : 311
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:37 pm

americatheneedy wrote:When the social workers get laid off because of state budgets, I hope they get the hateful ones first.

Gee, thanks! I was a social worker who was laid off due to cut-backs in state funding 3 years ago.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by LeannaAndPerry on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:49 pm

I hope they get the hateful ones too. My parents got in a real bad way once. And the social worker told my mother TOO BAD, and to take their baths in the lake. My mother tore her up in the hallway, even with words only. And the director called her that night, said that woman was terminated and for my mother to come in the next day to find out about programs that the other worker wouldn't tell her existed.

Anyway, back on the subject, I do wish it was like this.... Come to our Country -- Land of the Free.... Then Fluent English is Mandatory, Period!

I say that because, I lived on Padre Island a year (for work) and it was near the Border of Mexico and one of the main Mexico entrances. Anyway when my job term ended and I was to return to my home state, I decided I wanted to stay anyway... Started busting tail to find a job. Guess what? Every single place I encountered that had jobs available... said you must speak Spanish fluently. What a crock!


LeannaAndPerry
Banned
Banned

Posts : 40
Join date : 2011-03-02
Age : 54
Location : High Up on a Mountain In good Ole Georgia Land

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:59 pm

LeannaAndPerry wrote:I hope they get the hateful ones too. My parents got in a real bad way once. And the social worker told my mother TOO BAD, and to take their baths in the lake. My mother tore her up in the hallway, even with words only. And the director called her that night, said that woman was terminated and for my mother to come in the next day to find out about programs that the other worker wouldn't tell her existed.

Anyway, back on the subject, I do wish it was like this.... Come to our Country -- Land of the Free.... Then Fluent English is Mandatory, Period!

I say that because, I lived on Padre Island a year (for work) and it was near the Border of Mexico and one of the main Mexico entrances. Anyway when my job term ended and I was to return to my home state, I decided I wanted to stay anyway... Started busting tail to find a job. Guess what? Every single place I encountered that had jobs available... said you must speak Spanish fluently. What a crock!

I have never seen a real "hateful" social worker. If that was their nature, they wouldn't have wasted the money on an education for the low-paying, thankless job that comes with that degree.

What I see are over-worked, frustrated people who are pushed beyond their limit and deal with social crisis every day. The worse the economy gets, the bigger their caseloads get, and the states keep cutting this sector out of their budgets.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by New_Wave_Princess on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:12 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:What bothers me about this whole issue is that many are crying that "illegal immigrants" stole our jobs. When did anyone ever want these jobs? No one did, until now. So boot these poor people out and send them back to countries that have an even greater humanitarian crisis so Americans who turned their noses up at these jobs 2 or 3 years ago can step in. Sorry, even though I have been a 99er for well over a year now, this would be immoral.

I think the H-1b visa workers are a far greater threat to me personally than illegals. However, the problem is that many employers in the last few years have started to hire illegals for jobs that paid good like factories and construction. That is a problem. My biggest problem with illegal immigration are those who come to freeload, my same problem with those legal immigrants who come for the same reason. I doubt most come for those reasons but the fact is some of them do. Also, with those who came illegal they shouldn't be here because they didn't come legally. That I do have a problem with because they broke a law coming here. I do feel for those who did have a rough life, but so many in this country have a rough life too and we shouldn't have to support those not Americans.

New_Wave_Princess
Member

Posts : 378
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:19 pm

New_Wave_Princess wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:What bothers me about this whole issue is that many are crying that "illegal immigrants" stole our jobs. When did anyone ever want these jobs? No one did, until now. So boot these poor people out and send them back to countries that have an even greater humanitarian crisis so Americans who turned their noses up at these jobs 2 or 3 years ago can step in. Sorry, even though I have been a 99er for well over a year now, this would be immoral.

I think the H-1b visa workers are a far greater threat to me personally than illegals. However, the problem is that many employers in the last few years have started to hire illegals for jobs that paid good like factories and construction. That is a problem. My biggest problem with illegal immigration are those who come to freeload, my same problem with those legal immigrants who come for the same reason. I doubt most come for those reasons but the fact is some of them do. Also, with those who came illegal they shouldn't be here because they didn't come legally. That I do have a problem with because they broke a law coming here. I do feel for those who did have a rough life, but so many in this country have a rough life too and we shouldn't have to support those not Americans.
I agree with you. The only point I was making was where was the outcry 2 or 3 years ago? Nobody wanted these jobs, now that our economy is tanking very quickly, these jobs suddenly become "acceptable". This country is suffering the same as third world countries, I know, I am one who is feeling the effects of it. The real root of our problem is in Washington, DC - our legislators are more of a threat for us than illegal immigrants!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by New_Wave_Princess on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:28 pm

I think part of it is people are getting desperate for any job. I know I have lowered my standards. However I still don't want jobs like picking fruit or jobs like that no matter how broke I get. I also think part of it is just anger in general about everyone else. I'm not really angry with undocumented workers, I'm more angry at the companies hiring them over Americans.

New_Wave_Princess
Member

Posts : 378
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by LeannaAndPerry on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Desperate, I stand corrected. I just talked to my mother. She said it was the in-take worker who treated her so mean. And she said that woman even looked her in the face and told her TOO BAD!

I had and I stress the word HAD.... Had a friend who was on welfare some years back. She was required to work at the local welfare office part-time as an in-take worker in order to keep her benefits rolling in. So, she used to tell me stories how they trained the in-take workers to give as little information as possible in order to lighten the loads of the case workers. I can't say I was shocked. But she did tell me that. She also said her trainer told her that they posts bulletins and/or fliers in the lobby/waiting room. And anyone who wants to know about certain programs should learn to read.

So I can fully relate to my mother saying what she did. And I do recall her coming home that day crying. And my past friendship with an in-take worker only proved that they can be very ugly at those places.

So I was not taking shots at you or your past position. Only saying.... And everyone can be mean, ugly, hateful.... doesn't mean that their case loads are so high that it gives them right to be offensive and verbally abusive to anyone.

LeannaAndPerry
Banned
Banned

Posts : 40
Join date : 2011-03-02
Age : 54
Location : High Up on a Mountain In good Ole Georgia Land

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:32 pm

I'm glad I don't live in your state, Leanna. There are no "intake workers" or any supports to lighten the caseloads here.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by americatheneedy on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:36 pm

I assume you weren't a hateful one based on your previous post here. You know the type I mean.

americatheneedy
Member

Posts : 311
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by LeannaAndPerry on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Wow, well that was in Oklahoma. I live in Georgia. We don't have lengthy welfare programs here. I think there is TANF but it's a 90 day program here. And the first 30 days you spend in work study training at the department before you even get your first check.

I fostered my nephew for three years, till last year. And I had to take him for weekly visits at the department. And I was floored the first time I went there for that. There was only empty chairs in the lobby. I asked the receptionist/food stamp worker (She was both) what gives? And she explained to me that they really don't have a TANF program. She called it TANF but it was Temp. for only 90 days. She said that's why most people move from this state if they have multiple children and need TANF. Then directed me to a bulletin or should I say a huge poster, just to the right of her desk that explained it all. In big letters. I told her how it was in Oklahoma and she just gave me this confused look.


Last edited by LeannaAndPerry on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

LeannaAndPerry
Banned
Banned

Posts : 40
Join date : 2011-03-02
Age : 54
Location : High Up on a Mountain In good Ole Georgia Land

Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:40 pm

americatheneedy wrote:I assume you weren't a hateful one based on your previous post here. You know the type I mean.
Yes, I do know, the ones who should retire or didn't know what they were getting into when they got the job. I am not saying that there aren't bad ones out there, every profession has ignorant people. Just saying that if a person didn't have any human compassion, they wouldn't waste time and money to get into the field.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Another job posting that's sadly real

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:17 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum