Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories!

+45
wornout
elvis44102
las44
broketrucker
TR11005
KeeptheFaith
exhaustedandtired/1208
zphtar
arbeitslos
IAMFedUp
TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Tomoko
mscpateach
anyoldname
lendmeflight2
462Tech
couth11
casheyes
c62ta68
New_Wave_Princess
hello
admin911
wartrace
LilMsMisses
suri
Jobless_in_Ma
troycomic
MissRi
irishmalou
503Depressed
Sunrise
laine25
JoanB
lizalphonso
nfpexec
Kulkulkan
unemployedandroid
chopthis91
Tiers for Fears
cousinsal
08pacollegegrad
MoInSTL
gettheminNOVEMBER
americatheneedy
Hunterforjobs
49 posters

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! Empty This week Job Hunting

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Seemed to be a popular thread in the last UFF so I think we should continue it here.

Applied for three jobs this week including old company see vent, and have not heard from anyone of them.

Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! Empty Re: UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories!

Post by americatheneedy Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Same here. I keep on trying but I am really beginning to wonder.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! Empty Re: UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories!

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Glad you started this thread, people need to know there is hope out there and success stories pick us all up a bit.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:55 am

Sent out six more resume's yesterday and 2 got back to me One wanted me to go to a website and get my credit report for them. I say no to that.

Perusing the ads today I saw an ad specifying age 21-40 thought that was illegal.

So there's my frustration Smile
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by MoInSTL Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:01 am

I can completely relate. I don't like the very long online applications they use now & they require you create an account as well!
MoInSTL
MoInSTL

Back to top Go down

Post by 08pacollegegrad Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:57 am

Hunterforjobs wrote:Sent out six more resume's yesterday and 2 got back to me One wanted me to go to a website and get my credit report for them. I say no to that.

Perusing the ads today I saw an ad specifying age 21-40 thought that was illegal.

So there's my frustration Smile

I almost fell into the same trap you did with an "employer" asking for a credit report from a website. I figured out pretty quickly that it was a scam, and that was coupled with the fact that they used yahoo e-mail addresses and would not reveal their name or location when asked. Then they had the nerve to ask me to set up an INTERVIEW after refusing to give that info. Thank God they found a sucker to supposedly fill the job. It's sad that scammers can get away with this.

08pacollegegrad

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 pm

And the fact that either they answer with go to this website and send credit report or don't answer at all.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by 08pacollegegrad Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Sorry to jack the thread, but does anyone else have anxiety about cold-calling for jobs/going to places in person? I was thinking of doing that today, but the idea just freaks me out...especially since I went to two places in person last week, asked for applications...and had nothing come of it except a "we're not hiring but we'll keep your app on file" and "we're out of applications, can you come back next week?" And calling places on the phone hasn't really given any positive results either. I feel much more comfortable answering ads in the paper or going online than I do "putting myself out there". But I know we have to do whatever we can..so how can I get past this? I know I have to do it, but it's hard to get past the negative thoughts that I won't gain anything.

08pacollegegrad

Back to top Go down

Post by cousinsal Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:23 pm

That whole credit report thing really bothers me. I think it should be against the law to check something as personal as that. And, obviously, if you're unemployed, you might very well have a bad credit report (like me), so it's further discrimination against us. In most instances, it has nothing to do with doing the job; it's just a way to screen people out.

That age category in the advertisement, Hunterforjobs, IS definitely illegal. I can't believe they got away with that, although they are getting away with "the unemployed need not apply". So far, that is legal. But, the age discrimination is not legal, and if I were you, I'd try to do something about that - maybe go to the media and blow their cover. Or at least contact the Better Business Bureau. Did you see that online or in a newspaper? If you tell me where, I can also "turn them in". That burns my butt something awful! And, it's a stupid thing for a business to do - their HR department must be clueless about the law.

cousinsal

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:00 pm

cousinsal wrote:That whole credit report thing really bothers me. I think it should be against the law to check something as personal as that. And, obviously, if you're unemployed, you might very well have a bad credit report (like me), so it's further discrimination against us. In most instances, it has nothing to do with doing the job; it's just a way to screen people out.

That age category in the advertisement, Hunterforjobs, IS definitely illegal. I can't believe they got away with that, although they are getting away with "the unemployed need not apply". So far, that is legal. But, the age discrimination is not legal, and if I were you, I'd try to do something about that - maybe go to the media and blow their cover. Or at least contact the Better Business Bureau. Did you see that online or in a newspaper? If you tell me where, I can also "turn them in". That burns my butt something awful! And, it's a stupid thing for a business to do - their HR department must be clueless about the law.

It was on Craigslist and it was for a Hair salon barber shop. I fall within the age range mentioned but I wouldn't bring myself to call for it due to the discrimination. They may find something about me to discriminate against.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/spa/2229373639.html
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Here is another thing I don't get. There is one ad in the paper every week and I call and am told everytime the position is filled. If its filled shouldn't they take the ad out of the paper?
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:26 pm

08pacollegegrad wrote:Sorry to jack the thread, but does anyone else have anxiety about cold-calling for jobs/going to places in person? I was thinking of doing that today, but the idea just freaks me out...especially since I went to two places in person last week, asked for applications...and had nothing come of it except a "we're not hiring but we'll keep your app on file" and "we're out of applications, can you come back next week?" And calling places on the phone hasn't really given any positive results either. I feel much more comfortable answering ads in the paper or going online than I do "putting myself out there". But I know we have to do whatever we can..so how can I get past this? I know I have to do it, but it's hard to get past the negative thoughts that I won't gain anything.

Yes, I've become petrified of going face to face looking for a job. At one time before this whole mess, I didn't think twice about it. I went in, filled in the application then either had an on the spot interview or was called a day or two later. Now its like OMG.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Just called back someone who proceeded to interview me on the phone, all I have to say is nut job as I was answering her question she was talking to someone in the room she was and she didn't hear my response. I hung up.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiers for Fears Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:17 pm

I know. I've been through this so many times. Especially here in Vegas which seems to be whack job city when it comes to interviews whether on the phone or in person. Where is the professionalism (which is expected from applicants) from hiring managers these days? Well, just to lighten things up.....here's a TV interview that went horribly wrong. It's in a foreign language but it's subtitled. Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0dybAaZWuI

Tiers for Fears

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:14 pm

I have a job interview tomorrow morning Friday March 4th. The interview is being held at Panera Bread. The store will open in April. I'm so nervous though I shouldn't be. Just should be ready to face another rejection dont' want ot get my hopes up.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by chopthis91 Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Hunterforjobs wrote:I have a job interview tomorrow morning Friday March 4th. The interview is being held at Panera Bread. The store will open in April. I'm so nervous though I shouldn't be. Just should be ready to face another rejection dont' want ot get my hopes up.

GOOD FOR YOU AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! 938557
chopthis91
chopthis91

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:13 pm

Well it didn't go. She was a no show. I was there half hour early and waited, walked a few times asking people if they were the person I was looking for. I stopped after the second because I didn't want people to think I was creepy. So I left at 10 min after 9.

I emailed her and asked if we missed eachohter. We apparenlty did. She said she was ther eat 9 which wasn't the truth because I was in there at 9 being creepy and asking for her by name. We're re scheduling but who knows.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Well the job interview is rescheduled for today. OH I hope this is the end to my search. I really do.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployedandroid Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:24 pm

good luck hunter!
unemployedandroid
unemployedandroid

http://www.unemployedandroid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks Unemployedandroid,

The job interview left me indifferent. Had the interview. I am then told she is looking for one full time and two part time people. The store wont be opne for 6-8 weeks and she' going to reconnect with no shows.

I told her I was interested in the job and was willing to wait--I'm not going to --and left it at that.

So I don't know if she was impressed with me or not. They don't have their permits yet.

We'll see. Sigh the job search contintues.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployedandroid Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:38 pm

that sounds like the most discombobulated interview process. things have really really changed with the interviewing. but being persistent does pay. i know how you feel when you don't want to seem over zealous/ stalker-ish. sometimes it have to catch myself for not being to enthusiastic if somebody calls.
with hope something better, sooner and a bit more organized will come your way.
unemployedandroid
unemployedandroid

http://www.unemployedandroid.com

Back to top Go down

UF2's job prospect thread. Share your stories! Empty Got an interview!

Post by Kulkulkan Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:25 am

First interview in 2 months! Had applied for a fabric store opening in this town as an assistant manager back in November, and was interviewed without apparent success, or even a response. Applied as a team member a couple of weeks ago, and got called back today. While I suppose I should be happier, I am disappointed that my years of management experience wasn't good enough, somehow. It just stinks having to start over AGAIN as a minimum wager. Heck, the position is technically seasonal, with some being made permanent after grand opening.
I do understand that with the terrible amount of retail businesses dying around here that there is a mass of other talented folks, but I know that a probable part time, minimum wage job is just a crap reward for 20 years of being a good employed law abiding citizen. I'm happy to go, but despair of getting back on the road to a normal life, you know, one where I'm not living with my folks. Crying or Very sad
All I know is that my unemployment has really destroyed my faith in the system! Evil or Very Mad

Sorry if this is a little long and rambling, but I thank you for the opportunity to vent!
Kulkulkan
Kulkulkan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Have another interivew on Monday. Gearing up for it now, re writing resume again. But I want to be prepared.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Good luck to all. I am glad to see that some of you are at least getting calls. I haven't received one yet since the start of the year. I'll be praying for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next